Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 618673 times)

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #6800 on: June 4, 2019, 08:16:08 pm »
Hope it goes well today RB, all the best

Thanks mate, was about as good as you might expect! ;D

Appointment was 1.55, got there about 1.15; didn't get seen until 3pm, then the recorder broke, so needed new CDs.  Started again at 3.20 and didn't get out of there till 4.55pm.

I am now drinking cider.  Fuck tomorrow. :lmao
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #6801 on: June 5, 2019, 08:49:36 pm »
Been missing my Dad since Saturday. It's a shame that the best times in football always stir up feelings of loss and sadness because I can't share them with the one person who gave me the gift of following the reds.

Love to everyone

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6802 on: June 5, 2019, 10:50:02 pm »
Been missing my Dad since Saturday. It's a shame that the best times in football always stir up feelings of loss and sadness because I can't share them with the one person who gave me the gift of following the reds.

Love to everyone

Love back.  Feeling low tonight myself, albeit for different reasons.

Popcorn's Art

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6803 on: June 5, 2019, 11:33:31 pm »
Love back.  Feeling low tonight myself, albeit for different reasons.

Hang in there mate

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #6804 on: June 11, 2019, 06:51:48 am »
I think (I'm quite sure actually) that I have a long history of depression but didn't ever get it checked by a doctor and when push came to shove some 7/8 years ago and I started feeling very suicidal, I told my sister and some of my best mates. Back then I had a few epiphanies that allowed me to fight it and get over it for a few years. Now, at 31, I feel it all starting to come back. The emptiness, the numbness, the lack of feeling for anything, the lack of motivation to do anything to change this, the rampant cynicism, the aloofness, the preference for solitude, the early thoughts about whether my life is really worth much; they all seem to be coming back.

I moved cities a couple of years ago and just haven't met too many people that I click with even as friends, lost close relatives including my Dad in the last 12 months, which I think contributes to the feeling again. But, it probably shouldn't be this way all things considered. I'm writing this post after having just received some very good news that had me excited for about 5 minutes before dissipating into nothingness. It's all feels dull as fuck and I'm just not having fun anymore with anything. It all feels like Johnny Rotten going "Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?".

Yeah, this is pretty much where I've been in my life for the past five or six years. It's just an empty husk, a vacuum. Keep moving countries every couple of years to try and escape from it all, but nothing. The overwhelming sense remains of someone peering through a window into the life of a stranger.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6805 on: June 13, 2019, 08:14:35 pm »
Taken five hours for the diazepam to kick in.  Feel like shit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6806 on: June 17, 2019, 01:11:17 pm »
Hi, fellas.

Hope you're all doing okay. Feel free to shoot me a message if you ever need to talk/vent.

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6807 on: June 17, 2019, 06:39:02 pm »
*snip*

Thought i'd give a bit of an update from where I was at when I made the original post and from when everyone gave me some excellent advice and support (especially the post quoted which hit the nail on the head.)

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that did help me when I posted, it was a tough time and one that I'd not wish on my worst enemy but thankfully, things are finally looking up.

The debt side of things is now getting sorted, I've moved back in with my parents who are helping me out where they can and getting my finances in order as my mum's always been really good with her money, so i'm finally able to start paying a few debts off and be in a much healthier position in that sense. Just need to find a way to repay them for it all one day, not that they'd accept anything like.

As for the ex, she has been in touch a few times, the last time was to try and see if we could get back together as I've found out that the lad she slept with has now fucked off to America to be with another girl. She sent this message after messaging a good friend of mine and apparently having 'proof' that I'd slept with someone else behind her back for the first 4 months of our relationship (which never happened, and If I did, then why would she want me back anyway?)

My ex is now going on saying the baby is mine (which I was expecting her to once he fucked her off,) so she knows my stance that I want a DNA test ASAP.
I've told her that I never want to speak to her apart from if the baby is mine, then I do want to be involved in his/her life as I believe that every child should know their father and be given a chance in life. Apart from that, we've had no further contact which i'm made up about.

I've also met someone else, I know it was quite soon after going through a tough break up but with the support of my family and friends and people on here, I realised that I'm a lot better off out of the life I had, I've now met a girl who is down to earth, has her head screwed on and genuinely makes me feel wanted and is helping build the confidence in myself, one who is completely open with me and understands what I've been through, so I'm incredibly happy at the minute with how things are going.

Moral of it all really is, know your true worth and get out of toxic situations when you can, only then do you realise just how cared for and how much love you have from people that truly matter.

Thank you all again and if anyone wants to chat or just needs a friend to speak to, my inbox is always open, no matter the situation.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6808 on: June 17, 2019, 07:16:31 pm »
^
Thanks for the update.
It's clearly been a tough time for you, but it sounds like you have come through it  and now find yourself stronger and in a much more positive place. I'm glad if there was something/anything in my post that helped a little. That's good to know.

It sounds like your new lady is good for you and adds a lot of positives to your life. I hope things continue to go well for you both. I'm sure you have a lot of good to offer her too.

I wish you all the very best now, and in the future. The moral of your story is so true. We have to know our own worth, and if situations are toxic and without real hope, it's best to cut our losses and move on. That's always painful initially, but as you've found, in the longer term it can work out for the best. You've found someone who recognises your worth now.  :)

Take care. All the very best.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 07:18:21 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6809 on: June 17, 2019, 07:22:58 pm »
Thought i'd give a bit of an update from where I was at when I made the original post and from when everyone gave me some excellent advice and support (especially the post quoted which hit the nail on the head.)

First off, I'd like to thank everyone that did help me when I posted, it was a tough time and one that I'd not wish on my worst enemy but thankfully, things are finally looking up.

The debt side of things is now getting sorted, I've moved back in with my parents who are helping me out where they can and getting my finances in order as my mum's always been really good with her money, so i'm finally able to start paying a few debts off and be in a much healthier position in that sense. Just need to find a way to repay them for it all one day, not that they'd accept anything like.

As for the ex, she has been in touch a few times, the last time was to try and see if we could get back together as I've found out that the lad she slept with has now fucked off to America to be with another girl. She sent this message after messaging a good friend of mine and apparently having 'proof' that I'd slept with someone else behind her back for the first 4 months of our relationship (which never happened, and If I did, then why would she want me back anyway?)

My ex is now going on saying the baby is mine (which I was expecting her to once he fucked her off,) so she knows my stance that I want a DNA test ASAP.
I've told her that I never want to speak to her apart from if the baby is mine, then I do want to be involved in his/her life as I believe that every child should know their father and be given a chance in life. Apart from that, we've had no further contact which i'm made up about.

I've also met someone else, I know it was quite soon after going through a tough break up but with the support of my family and friends and people on here, I realised that I'm a lot better off out of the life I had, I've now met a girl who is down to earth, has her head screwed on and genuinely makes me feel wanted and is helping build the confidence in myself, one who is completely open with me and understands what I've been through, so I'm incredibly happy at the minute with how things are going.

Moral of it all really is, know your true worth and get out of toxic situations when you can, only then do you realise just how cared for and how much love you have from people that truly matter.

Thank you all again and if anyone wants to chat or just needs a friend to speak to, my inbox is always open, no matter the situation.

I am made up for you that things are beginning to improve for you. It sounds as if you have some really positive influences in your life supporting you now, from your parents to the new girl you have met. As for the ex, I would keep away from her as much as possible. You are right in requesting a DNA test for the pregnancy just to make sure. Besides that just continue with the people around you who have your best interests at heart. I know its a downer about paying back the debts, but you've done the right thing and you will clear them eventually. As ever its baby steps to begin with, but at least you have a plan to work to now. You should feel proud of having come through this the way you have.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6810 on: June 18, 2019, 09:17:05 pm »
Heart goes out to everyone tonight.  J-Mc, really glad you are in a recovery phase and I've got everything crossed for you.

Me... I'm not so good.

I'm not going to waste time trying to put down what I'm going through because I am just unstable.  It's more than chronic depression; it's irrational.  I know what it is and I'm just trying to step outside my own emotions; to feel them without being controlled by them.  I know I'm just trapped by loneliness and fear, and that I just need to overcome both.

I'm rooting for all of you as I know you are all rooting for me :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6811 on: June 18, 2019, 10:39:50 pm »
Heart goes out to everyone tonight.  J-Mc, really glad you are in a recovery phase and I've got everything crossed for you.

Me... I'm not so good.

I'm not going to waste time trying to put down what I'm going through because I am just unstable.  It's more than chronic depression; it's irrational.  I know what it is and I'm just trying to step outside my own emotions; to feel them without being controlled by them.  I know I'm just trapped by loneliness and fear, and that I just need to overcome both.

I'm rooting for all of you as I know you are all rooting for me :)

Sorry to hear you aren't so good just now.  :-\

If I recall correctly, you were to have an ESA assessment in Bootle. If you have had it, how did it go, and do you know the outcome of that yet? I know everything about them can be very stressful.

I just highlighted a bit of your post in bold because what you said is interesting. You say you are willing to feel your emotions, but don't want to be controlled by them. There is a therapy which can assist you with this, because it's all about acknowledging feelings but still doing the things in life that make life feel productive and worthwhile. I'm just throwing this out there, so feel free to dismiss it if you want to, but it might just be worth you looking at an overview on the internet and seeing what you think. The therapy is called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). Personally, I like it far more than CBT and it's helped me an awful lot in recent years. I've never had the actual therapy myself, I just learned it through text books. There is also a very easy to read and reasonably priced self-help book based in ACT by Russ Harris called 'The Happiness Trap' which, again, I find really useful and helpful.

Harris has loads of videos online, this being one where he talks a little bit about ACT and Mindfulness.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/S5UWEgC0A4c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/S5UWEgC0A4c</a>

If anything in there strikes a chord with you, further research on this method might be useful to you. If not, no worries.  :)

Take care, mate.

EDIT:

Here is a bit more info on ACT which also has some ACT videos that highlight its principles.

https://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/act.htm
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 10:43:23 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6812 on: June 18, 2019, 11:32:52 pm »
Sorry to hear you aren't so good just now.  :-\

If I recall correctly, you were to have an ESA assessment in Bootle. If you have had it, how did it go, and do you know the outcome of that yet? I know everything about them can be very stressful.

hiya, and thanks for the response.

The ESA was predictably laughable.  I managed to secure myself an advocate.  The assessment turned out to be at the Port of Liverpool Building rather than in Bootle - a glaring statement of my state of mind that I didn't notice this!  Appointment was 1.55pm; I'd aimed to get there for 1.30pm, but my advocate wanted to be there by 1.15pm.  I wasn't seen until 2.55 pm, and there was no recording equipment set up.  I said I was happy to wait the 20 minutes for it to be set up and we got started at 3.11pm - only for the recorder to fail 10 minutes in.  We got started again 10 minutes later and I was out by about 5pm - almost four hours after I arrived.

The lady - who couldn't even have been 24 and asked me what the side effects of Zopiclone were - said she could have had me in and out after half an hour if I hadn't insisted on the assessment being recorded.  I thought to myself, "yeah - and that's exactly WHY I wanted it recorded".

That was June 4th.  I'm supposed to hear back by the end of the month and to contact them if I haven't.  My advocate is back from holiday on June 27th, and she's visiting me July 1st so honestly I'm in no hurry for a reply.

As for therapy, I did 18 months of mentalisation based therapy (MBT); twice weekly, with a one-to-one and a group session.  I'm currently on the waiting list for interpersonal therapy (IPT), although I'm sorely tempted to seek trauma therapy as I'm waiting. 

My issue is that I have Emotionally Unstable Personality Disorder, so it's important to know when my emotional state regresses to that of an insecure child, even when my mental state doesn't.  Alcohol lessens my ability to regulate and control my emotions,  but even when I'm sober the pain is often there - I'm just more capable of recognising it intellectually.  (If anybody is wondering, no I'm not a big drinker - certainly not compared to four or five years ago).

I appreciate the links, and will certainly look into them. :)  Most of my issues just stem from childhood bullying and a lack of positive male role models and influence in my life.  Romantic/intimate relations with women are extremely difficult for me to establish and I'm sick of being everybody's favourte gal-pal. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #6813 on: June 19, 2019, 12:06:57 am »
I feel Iam slipping back into that old place again . The root of it all is......... If there is one thing that will pull the mat from beneath me it's this.

Problems with seeing my little one again .

PARENTAL ALIENATION IS CHILD ABUSE .

I've been here a thousand times before so I'll pull through it again.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6814 on: June 19, 2019, 12:15:07 am »
^
^
No probs Red Berry, you're welcome.

I had wondered why they would send you to Bootle, what with you being based in the south end. I've been to the PoL Building with people from the south end previously when they've had these assessments. That sounds like a grueling day, but I think you did the right thing getting it recorded. In 2012 I was in a really dark place and had one of these 'medicals' in Bootle. The so-called assessor even said to my face that I shouldn't be working at all (I was doing a little voluntary at the time) because of my state of mind. When I got the results back she had awarded me zero points and declared me fully fit to work. This resulted in me having a further breakdown, having to bin off my voluntary work then ending up being assessed by the MH Crisis Team in Fazakerley due to being suicidal. It all set me back years. With hindsight I wish I'd had my 'medical' recorded. The decision was later dismissed on appeal, but the damage and stress had already been done.

Hopefully you get the right outcome in your case. I know the assessments are carried out by a different company than they were when I had my horror show of an 'assessment'.
Things sound pretty complicated for you, so I hope you get the support and understanding that you need and deserve.

It's interesting how things affect people differently. I grew up without a positive male role model too. In fact, I actively hated men well into my adulthood. It's something that took me decades to work through. But rather than making it more difficult to form relationships with women, it actually made it infinitely easier for me. I was always more in tune with females and, even today, all but one of my close friends are female. I just get on with women far more than I do men and I always have done.

I wasn't really bullied when young, but I always had very poor confidence and self-esteem, and that was something else I've always struggled to deal with even to this day in some respects. There was certainly trauma, but it wasn't through bullying, even though I did have my scrapes with certain people at times in school. Early trauma and negative experiences really can scar you, can't they?

One thing I will say is that you are clearly a survivor. You must have reasonable coping skills. You have clearly gone through a lot, but you are still here and still getting on with your life. I know it's difficult to see it when you are down, but try not to lose sight of the fact that you are actually coping. You are actually getting through. You are probably a lot stronger than you think you are. You may not feel that, but it's true all the same.

Take care of yourself.  :)

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 12:20:27 am by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6815 on: June 19, 2019, 12:17:09 am »
I feel Iam slipping back into that old place again . The root of it all is......... If there is one thing that will pull the mat from beneath me it's this.

Problems with seeing my little one again .

PARENTAL ALIENATION IS CHILD ABUSE .

I've been here a thousand times before so I'll pull through it again.
I can't even imagine how tough that must be.  :-\

Take care, mate.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6816 on: June 19, 2019, 12:21:01 am »
I ' feel ' Iam slipping into that old place again .The place I know that gives me strength and shines a light somewhere deep....

Iam having issues with seeing my little one again .

Not again .... please !

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6817 on: June 19, 2019, 12:27:09 am »
I can't even imagine how tough that must be.  :-\

Take care, mate.

Thought that didn't post so posted it again .

Iam sound but feeling heart broken and frustrated with all. Time to dig deep and blank out the pain again. Iam not sure if it's actual depression or not but I feel anger yet again towards my tormentors.

Wise Words - Forgive them for they don't know what they do.

Time to dig deep again .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6818 on: June 24, 2019, 06:12:03 pm »
Bit of good news to share.  My ESA has been renewed.  I can breathe again.  ;D

Is there anybody here in the Liverpool area who would be interested in forming a real life support group?  I tried joining a men's group recently and it was really good but they only managed one session before it fell apart.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6819 on: June 27, 2019, 03:02:53 pm »
^

I would be simply wouldnt know where to start mate. I'll be sound sorting a venue though.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6820 on: June 27, 2019, 11:22:05 pm »
^

I would be simply wouldnt know where to start mate. I'll be sound sorting a venue though.

I think for the most part it would be sharing experiences and what we would like to be different in our lives.  Especially in terms of what it means to be a "man".

Popcorn's Art

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6821 on: June 28, 2019, 02:57:50 am »
Sorry to bother you Reds but does anyone have any good bereavement advice or know where to get some?

I lost my Father on 4th June. He was in his late 80s and been in hospital a few times in the last 6/7 months but he fell suddenly ill on the night of our Champions League win on Saturday, admitted into Hospital on the Sunday and gone by Tuesday morning.

It was still a shock how he fell ill and I’m really struggling to get the energy to move on. He was the best dad, so gentle and mild mannered. I can’t believe he is gone and will never see him again. I don’t really understand how I’m meant to live for how ever many years I have to without him anymore. Life feels pointless.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6822 on: June 28, 2019, 08:30:53 am »
Sorry to bother you Reds but does anyone have any good bereavement advice or know where to get some?

I lost my Father on 4th June. He was in his late 80s and been in hospital a few times in the last 6/7 months but he fell suddenly ill on the night of our Champions League win on Saturday, admitted into Hospital on the Sunday and gone by Tuesday morning.

It was still a shock how he fell ill and I’m really struggling to get the energy to move on. He was the best dad, so gentle and mild mannered. I can’t believe he is gone and will never see him again. I don’t really understand how I’m meant to live for how ever many years I have to without him anymore. Life feels pointless.

Sounds like a cliche, but life does go on and it does get better. Allow yourself to grieve, it is normal, feeling like this is normal, put you will get through it.

My own experience was losing my Mum in 2007 - I got engaged on New Years Day, about time as I was 40, went to tell my Mum, she was made up to finally see me settled and overjoyed at the thoughts of grandkids from me to add to the other 4. She went into hospital in early March due to a chest infection and died on April fools day, 61 years of age. The pain of losing her was something else.

As time goes on, the pain goes, I still miss her and still go to ring her to ask her something 12 years later and still get upset at times, but that is natural. I hate that she never knew went to my wedding, never saw her two grandsons, didn't holiday with us and do all the things we would have done, but she would have been happy and proud that I got on with life.

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6823 on: June 28, 2019, 04:18:19 pm »
Truly sorry to hear of your losses, Rob and Gamble. Lost my own dad in similarly rapid circumstances when i was 26/27. Not sure I've ever got over it to be honest, especially with everything else that went down with my family a few years ago.

There are places that fo trauma therapy, a number of them private if you can afford it, but also I think Talk Liverpool does that stuff as well - or may know who does.

Keeping you both in my thoughts.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6824 on: June 28, 2019, 07:30:43 pm »

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I can certainly empathise with you as in late 2017 I lost my father in law then my own dad in the space of two weeks. The loss of my dad was unexpected. He went into hospital, had tests then they said he had only days to live. We couldn't believe it and we are all still trying to come to terms with it.

The gut wrenching, desolate emptiness and gnawing pain are all normal and natural. As hard as they are to experience, please don't try to fight them. Try to be willing to feel your pain and emotions because doing so is all part of the process of bereavement and you will come through it quicker and in a more healthy way than if you try to block it out and fight against it.

If you feel numb, just go with it. If you need to cry, then do so. All manner of thoughts will go through your head and all manner of emotions will run through your body. If you can, just let them wash over you. They will eventually dissipate.

Counselling for bereavement isn't really recommended so soon after a loss. Everything is just so raw and everything is still up in the air and in chaos. Having said that, talking things through with loved ones, supportive friends etc is good if that's what you want/need. Basically, do whatever you feel you need to do in order to get through each day. There is no right or wrong way to grieve, there is only our way.

As horrific as things feel at the moment, what you are feeling is normal. No way would I even try to pretend that getting through this is in any way easy because it's not. It's horrible. It's painful in the extreme, but all I do know is that, somehow, we do manage to come to terms with things and learn to live with our loss. We don't forget, and we wouldn't want to either, but we learn to cope and make room for our loss.

I don't know where you are based but here in Liverpool there is the Liverpool Bereavement Service on Stanley Street. They are online and in the phone book. I'm sure they could offer advice and could maybe put you on the waiting list for bereavement counselling further down the line, when you are more ready for it.

If you don't feel you have supportive friends or family to talk things through with then I've found the Samaritans a good listening ear when I've had problems in the past.

I'm posting on my phone so can't link to the bereavement service, but you can find them online as I said. If you are not based in Liverpool then I'm sure there are similar bereavement services fairly local to where you are, unless you are out in the sticks somewhere.

Again, I'm so sorry  for your loss. I know you won't feel it now, but you will come through this. We just do. I don't know how we do, but we do.
Be kind to yourself, and take care.

Edit: If you are not aware of it, there is the Kubler Ross stages of grief which can be found online. It highlights the different stages we may go through when experiencing bereavement. I think just having a little understanding of the process can be helpful via normalising some of the things we think, feel and experience as we go through the process. It's not a rigid process, and we go through it all in our own unique way, but it gives a decent, basic insight to the process of grieving.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:43:13 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #6825 on: June 28, 2019, 07:37:59 pm »
I and the Staff Room extend our condolences for your grief. Sudden loss can be very hard to accept/understand but the good news is that there are plenty of resources out there to help you - including us. YNWA is more than a song (quite apt really, given its origins!) and we'll help in any way we can. I've PM'd you.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #6826 on: June 28, 2019, 07:54:08 pm »

I am so sorry to hear this. As others have implied there is no easy way to deal with this, but I do agree when people say grieving is something you need to do. Don't be afraid to feel this, its something everyone has to go through, to come through the other side. You will have some hard times, but always try and remember the things which made him so special to you. Once you get through that first raw emotion in most cases, the pain does lessen to a degree. It is not something you can set a clock by either, it takes as long or as short as what you need it to be. If you can find somebody to share the grief with, that can help. But for now, take each day as it comes and don't rush through your emotions. Once you have gone through that rough spell, life will get better and you will remember the great times you had with him. Even though he's gone physcially from your life your parents are still a part of you regardless. If you go on struggling don't be afraid to seek help.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6827 on: June 29, 2019, 08:53:45 am »

I lost my Father on 4th June.
Sincere condolences mate. Time is only a slow healer so you'll really need to occupy yourself. Value that he had a fairly lengthy life compared to so many others who are robbed of life perhaps even 30 years younger than your dad.
Value that you've lived a life in such a good relationship - I was 2 when my dad died age 44.
Set yourself an objective to do everything that would make him even more proud of you.

You must make sure that this time next year you've got a handle on it and have not fallen in to a depression that may grip you relentlessly and cruelly.

Don't hesitate to seek help in here.

Offline feynman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6828 on: July 7, 2019, 11:47:35 am »

I am doing my PhD now. I have wrote two manuscripts almost two years ago but my supervisor always delays the submission.
There's always something minimal missing which is nonsense.

I am really struggling with depression now. I woke up every hour during sleep time. I am in bad mood all the time. I don't do any things which I like anymore.

I am a foreigner in this institution.
There is another student in this project and I feel like I am just supporting his project and I am scared my paper will be transferred to him because he works in the company partner and I am in the institute. Until now, I never go to any conferences which is kind of weird.

I feel like I just want to quit and fly home and be carefree and do other things. I can finish it in 6 months but without publications, I have no mood of writing it. PhD is not everything to me now, I just want to be sane. I have no friends here,
I am 40 years old and I live alone.

Sent from my G3421 using Tapatalk

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6829 on: July 7, 2019, 04:59:48 pm »
It creeps up on you doesn't it, and then comes down like the wolf on the fold
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6830 on: July 11, 2019, 09:17:54 am »
Managed to run out of sertraline on Sunday, keep forgetting to go the doctors to get a new prescription, suffering badly with the withdrawal symptoms. Heading to the GP in a minute to get a script sent through to the chemist.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6831 on: July 11, 2019, 10:25:15 am »
Good luck rob.

Popcorn's Art

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6832 on: July 15, 2019, 07:32:29 pm »
Really struggling at the moment,  never had depression before or know if it is even depression,  just in a funk and fed up all the time and can't shake it for last couple of weeks have broke down a few times in  and struggling to get out of bed today on my day off. Any advice how to get out of this?  Ta Xx
No time for caution.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6833 on: July 15, 2019, 10:05:56 pm »
Go and see your GP mate. Best decision I ever made after dealing with depression and anxiety for years. It's shit and it still hangs over my head some days but I am in a much better place than I was a few years ago.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6834 on: July 15, 2019, 11:49:43 pm »
Those of you getting medication for depression, do you find it affects your life insurance, travel insurance etc?
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #6835 on: July 16, 2019, 05:39:42 am »
I don't post much, but enjoy reading posts on here. I enjoyed reading Murf's & Sir Harvest Fields posts in the past. I don't agree with the politics of certain contributors.
I can't sleep tonight as probably going to lose my house & daughters in court tomorrow.

All take care x.

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6836 on: July 16, 2019, 09:20:06 am »
Those of you getting medication for depression, do you find it affects your life insurance, travel insurance etc?

I've never even thought to inform them, I'd better check that out.

I'm back to feeling as shit as I ever have. The youngest kid has been a bit of a mare lately, won't do as asked, arguing all the time, just being a shit. The eldest is giving it teenage attitude, shouting and snappy responses, then creeping like fuck when he knows he has upset me. I'm paying £100 a month gym membership and can't get myself to go, which is causing arguments. The wife has been looking for a flat for me to move into for 6 months, life is fucking great at the minute.

I'm just going to work through my CBT online course again, do the meditation exercises and try to motivate myself to do stuff.

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #6837 on: July 16, 2019, 09:59:44 am »
I've never even thought to inform them, I'd better check that out.

I'm back to feeling as shit as I ever have. The youngest kid has been a bit of a mare lately, won't do as asked, arguing all the time, just being a shit. The eldest is giving it teenage attitude, shouting and snappy responses, then creeping like fuck when he knows he has upset me. I'm paying £100 a month gym membership and can't get myself to go, which is causing arguments. The wife has been looking for a flat for me to move into for 6 months, life is fucking great at the minute.

I'm just going to work through my CBT online course again, do the meditation exercises and try to motivate myself to do stuff.
Be careful when you ask them as they keep that shit on record. So if you don't declare it and then later put in a claim,they'll check .

I'd ask another company that you ain't with

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6838 on: July 16, 2019, 10:01:03 am »
Heart goes out to all of you guys who are struggling.  I have a few bits of advice that may or may not help.

End Product: talk to your GP.  Consider anti-depressants as an option, but remember they should only ever be considered as a short term solution.  Sounds like you might have a touch of angst mixed in with your depression so you might want to just sit down and have a think about what might be bothering you.  Too often we just shove shit to one side to get through the working day, and that's when it starts to manifest itself in other ways, such as depression.  You need to have an honest conversation with yourself, and then perhaps look into some form of talking therapy or counselling.  There's always the Samaritans too.

Ghost Town: quoting my medical condition (personality disorder) has certainly bumped my travel insurance in the past, but the last time I went abroad (Rome last year) somebody tipped me onto this list of health insurers who cover this sort of stuff.  As I recall I went with Freedom and it was very reasonable.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/insurance-cover-and-mental-health/specialist-insurers-for-pre-existing-conditions/#.XS2Pn0d7mMR

Stevo7 - really sorry to hear of your struggles mate.  No wonder you can't sleep.  There's any number of peaceful and relaxing music/audio on youtube.  Just ambient noise like waves or binaural beats perhaps.  Just plug in your headphones and lie on your bed.  If sleep wont come it might at least bring some rest.  Wish I could be more constructive for you.

rob - again, I'd suggest the Samaritans.  Online CBT is great but I think you need to talk to somebody, get it out of your system.  And try to remember to give yourself credit for any positive,  no matter how small - even if it's just a shave.  Appreciate the sound of a singing bird, or the blue sky.  Little things count mate.

If you're paying £100 a month on gym membership and not using it - cancel it.  You have to look at things from a "no lose" situation - you're saving a hundred quid a month.  I've started doing circuit training.  It's twice a week, very intense and leaves me pouring with sweat.  I've yet to finish the hour but it's only £5 per session (or £80 for the year) and I've already dropped 3 pounds after the first week. :)

If you've not already, I'd recommend everybody flips through the Positivity Thread.  If you have, then a re-read is always good.  There's lots of words of wisdom, plus some examples of relaxing music.  I'm playing "I Am" affirmations every day now, sometimes talking them back.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=324792.0

I'm learning to challenge and overwhelm that negative chatterbox that lives in my head with positive-speak.  I really feel like things have changed for me for the better this past month, but then I don't have the same kinds of issues that many others here do.

Sending hugs and positive vibes to everyone here - thinking of you all!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 10:02:58 am by Red Berry »

Popcorn's Art

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6839 on: July 16, 2019, 09:15:17 pm »
Heart goes out to all of you guys who are struggling.  I have a few bits of advice that may or may not help.

End Product: talk to your GP.  Consider anti-depressants as an option, but remember they should only ever be considered as a short term solution.  Sounds like you might have a touch of angst mixed in with your depression so you might want to just sit down and have a think about what might be bothering you.  Too often we just shove shit to one side to get through the working day, and that's when it starts to manifest itself in other ways, such as depression.  You need to have an honest conversation with yourself, and then perhaps look into some form of talking therapy or counselling.  There's always the Samaritans too.

Ghost Town: quoting my medical condition (personality disorder) has certainly bumped my travel insurance in the past, but the last time I went abroad (Rome last year) somebody tipped me onto this list of health insurers who cover this sort of stuff.  As I recall I went with Freedom and it was very reasonable.

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/insurance-cover-and-mental-health/specialist-insurers-for-pre-existing-conditions/#.XS2Pn0d7mMR

Stevo7 - really sorry to hear of your struggles mate.  No wonder you can't sleep.  There's any number of peaceful and relaxing music/audio on youtube.  Just ambient noise like waves or binaural beats perhaps.  Just plug in your headphones and lie on your bed.  If sleep wont come it might at least bring some rest.  Wish I could be more constructive for you.

rob - again, I'd suggest the Samaritans.  Online CBT is great but I think you need to talk to somebody, get it out of your system.  And try to remember to give yourself credit for any positive,  no matter how small - even if it's just a shave.  Appreciate the sound of a singing bird, or the blue sky.  Little things count mate.

If you're paying £100 a month on gym membership and not using it - cancel it.  You have to look at things from a "no lose" situation - you're saving a hundred quid a month.  I've started doing circuit training.  It's twice a week, very intense and leaves me pouring with sweat.  I've yet to finish the hour but it's only £5 per session (or £80 for the year) and I've already dropped 3 pounds after the first week. :)

If you've not already, I'd recommend everybody flips through the Positivity Thread.  If you have, then a re-read is always good.  There's lots of words of wisdom, plus some examples of relaxing music.  I'm playing "I Am" affirmations every day now, sometimes talking them back.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=324792.0

I'm learning to challenge and overwhelm that negative chatterbox that lives in my head with positive-speak.  I really feel like things have changed for me for the better this past month, but then I don't have the same kinds of issues that many others here do.

Sending hugs and positive vibes to everyone here - thinking of you all!

Red Berry, you are a diamond.

I'm so glad things are going well for you. Best wishes to you.