Author Topic: Barcelona Thread - Holiday Info / Help / Recommendations etc.  (Read 26996 times)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
Re: Barcelona Thread 2012 - Holiday Info / Help / Recommendations etc.
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2013, 10:48:30 pm »
Depends where you are staying. If close to Placa Catalunya you can get the train rather than metro to Cornella centre, obviously L5 goes there as well. Or you can get the train from Placa Catalunya to Almeda or Cornella Riera which are closer to the ground.
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »
September 11th is Catalan National Day, the day itself is the date that the siege of Barcelona ended in 1714, next year is the 300th Anniversary so will be a momentous day in Barcelona.

I'm there for this and then for the La Merce festival. In between will be doing Priorat wine region coupled with the Ebro/Ebre river area to visit Spanish Civil War sites. And probably Zaragoza thrown in.

Offline Tiger Tony

• Ginger knob who used to be barred from the Crows Nest. Will scweam and scweam and scweam if he doesn't get a Cardiff ticket. Aluminium. Thinks he's clever.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »
What's the plan for next September? Pub crawl on the ramblas? Heard there is a great pub called the Irish Rambler?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2013, 09:27:15 pm »
Yawn ;)

Offline anything else

• You ain't seen me..... roight?
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:22 am »
What's the plan for next September? Pub crawl on the ramblas? Heard there is a great pub called the Irish Rambler?

Fuck Los Rambles. Overpriced, over-visited shite. Fucking love Barcelona mind you, but its one of those places that you don't have to stay quite off the beaten track, just stay off the fuckin Rambles.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2013, 06:45:15 pm »

Fuck Los Rambles. Overpriced, over-visited shite. Fucking love Barcelona mind you, but its one of those places that you don't have to stay quite off the beaten track, just stay off the fuckin Rambles.

He was fishing at me...

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2014, 11:24:35 am »
I can't believe you haven't asked me...

I'd say the Eixample area or Gracia for a hotel. Eixample is a large area but anywhere close to Passeig de Gracia will be fine and very very convenient. Gracia was a village separate to Barcelona and is more bohemian and just a little further out.

Metro runs till 2am on Friday night and then re-opens from 5am on Saturday and doesn't stop till midnight on the Sunday. Also a comprehensive night bus service.

Not stayed in those two areas but very safe.

Have a look on Tripadvisor for restaurants (you may find me on there).

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2014, 10:01:48 pm »
Thinking of heading here myself in May for a wee break. If anyone has anymore current up to date info it would be greatly appreciated :)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:00 pm »
Up to date info on what?

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:42 pm »
Anywhere good to watch the footy, Jon? It's the Arsenal FA Cup game the weekend I'm there.

Not been able to find anywhere decent local bar wise for a while.

Barcelona Reds have matches on at The Philarmonic which is just off Passeig de Gracia. Last couple of times i've had to suffer an irish bar.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 30, 2014, 11:08:10 am »
Anywhere good to watch the footy, Jon? It's the Arsenal FA Cup game the weekend I'm there.

Michael Collins is one of the better Irish bars and is guaranteed to show the game. Its just through the park behind the Sagrada Familia, so you could combine it with a visit there. You can also check out Barcelonas wild parrots as you walk through the park!

If you are in the centre of town, then Scobies is a probably the best Irish bar to watch the game in and not far from Plaza Catalunya. Really good atmosphere in there.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:19 am »
Fantastic. Thanks for that!

You can't make any good restaurant suggestions, can you?! Want somewhere fairly casual, but with good/traditional food, nice atmosphere, and not a tourist trap. I'd really like to sample some Catalan tapas without having to take pot luck on the quality / authenticity! I know you know your food, so... ;)

For a good traditional restaurant with great service and nice food, book a table at Casa Leopoldo (you might get lucky if you just turn up) in the Raval district. Not the cheapest but very popular with locals and good for a special occasion. Great wine list too.

Can Culleretes is the oldest restaurant in town and is bloody amazing and pretty reasonable too but you may need to book here as well. Bear in mind most traditional Catalan food is less tapas-based and you will find lots of stews, fish dishes and pasta etc. 

For good tapas/pintxos go to Euskal Etxea (Basque) on Carrer de Montcada near the Picasso Museum. Ignore the expensive restaurant at the back, just stay in the front bar and grab the pintxos from the plates as the waitresss walk round. Keep all the cocktail sticks so they can add up your bill at the end.

On the same street is El Xampanyet, a traditional cava/tapas bar. Grab a seat if you can and they will bring you tapas and local cava for very reasonable prices.

Try Bar Celta for Octopus and other Galician delights.

Others worth trying: Casa Agustí (near the Museum of Contempory art) is another great Catalan restaurant. Also, most of the bars in the food markets are very good for tapas.

I may post more when I have a bit more time....  :)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 30, 2014, 06:55:49 pm »
Fucking hell, you copying me...;)

Same street as Bar Celta is Vendimia which are as basic as each other but decent and not expensive.

No such thing as Catalan tapas to be honest, suppose only the new wave gourmet expensive places would be close to that.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2014, 08:03:44 pm »
Fucking hell, you copying me...;)

Same street as Bar Celta is Vendimia which are as basic as each other but decent and not expensive.

No such thing as Catalan tapas to be honest, suppose only the new wave gourmet expensive places would be close to that.

I guess we have similar eating and travelling habits!

As I spend half my year in Spain, I have decided to make the move permanent this year. Can't wait to be honest, feel more at home there now.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »
I'm in Barcelona for the Man City game - can anyone recommend a good bar to watch the game with a few pints ?!? Cheers in advance

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2014, 09:01:16 pm »
Barcelona Reds meet up in Philarmonic Pub which is 10 mins or so from Placa Catalunya. I always prefer to watch in a locals bar if i can, but had to suffer an irish bar the last few times when i've been there.

Offline bobby19

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA !!
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2014, 09:34:17 pm »
Barcelona Reds meet up in Philarmonic Pub which is 10 mins or so from Placa Catalunya. I always prefer to watch in a locals bar if i can, but had to suffer an irish bar the last few times when i've been there.

Cheers buddy much appreciated

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2014, 12:55:42 am »
Barcelona Reds have matches on at The Philarmonic which is just off Passeig de Gracia. Last couple of times i've had to suffer an irish bar.
Oh did you? I don't think you mentioned it
I always prefer to watch in a locals bar if i can, but had to suffer an irish bar the last few times when i've been there.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:21 pm »
And your point is?

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #99 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:47 pm »
And your point is?
Sorry, I just have to stick up for anything Irish, even if its total shit :)

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: March 25, 2014, 08:48:15 pm »
Don't mind irish bars, in Ireland. Abroad, full of gobshites and overpriced ;)

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2014, 09:55:23 pm »
Don't mind irish bars, in Ireland. Abroad, full of gobshites and overpriced ;)

One thing i'll never understand is why irish always look for irish bars in other countries.  Never will get that.  Going barca on June the 28th for a week anyway with the other half, still needing to book accomodation but should have that sorted at the end of the month.  Anyone know of anythin happening round then?  Any smaller festivals, gigs worth a watch or even point me in the direction to get info on it?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #102 on: March 25, 2014, 11:51:26 pm »
One thing i'll never understand is why irish always look for irish bars in other countries.
Because they are pig ignorant oafs who still get their Mammies to mash their spuds for them and pick the gherkin out of their Big Mac.

I can make fun of Irish things.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2014, 12:09:04 am »
Can't we all ;)

Macca, ask on the tripadvisor page, they will advise what is on.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2016, 01:10:15 pm »
Bumping an old thread.

Off to Barcelona next week for the Beer Festival. Staying at the Serhs Del Port.

First time going, any recommendation on must go Bars/restaurants and general things to do whilst over there?

Thanks

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2016, 06:44:12 pm »
Bumping an old thread.

Off to Barcelona next week for the Beer Festival. Staying at the Serhs Del Port.

First time going, any recommendation on must go Bars/restaurants and general things to do whilst over there?

Thanks

Yes, buy me a beer...

I'm flying out Friday evening to Monday...

Plenty of craft ale bars around. I'll be going to Cerveceria Jazz (friends with the owner)on the Saturday on C/ Margarit in Poble Sec and the brew pub opposite.

Food wise, if you can, find anywhere doing a menu del dia for lunch then you can have the odd bit of food here and there whilst bar hopping.

If you land in T2 and end up getting the train buy a T-10 at a machine (or counter) for under ten euros, gets you ten trips on trains, metro and buses in zone 1 which covers basically anywhere you'll be going. You can change up to three times within seventy five minutes (but not change from same bus number to same bus number if you say pop in for a quick beer somewhere...)

And what interests you? Might be able to give some pointers on what to go and see.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2016, 07:10:25 pm »
And the advice is go early as later it gets full of people getting pissed with no idea what they are drinking, just like the last Friday before xmas...

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2016, 12:22:01 pm »
Try and do some tapas @ Bodega la Puntual and if you can fit in a meal definitely try Tast-lier in the Barri Gotic.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2016, 02:50:43 pm »
El Rincon del Cava

thank me later.

Offline cliffxtc

• Kemlynite
  • WORLD HERITAGE CITY SITE!
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2016, 03:20:07 pm »
Ramblas is tourist mad and expensive, avoid.

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2016, 06:02:12 pm »
El Rincon del Cava

thank me later.

Not far from where i'll be Saturday evening, but will be out with locals who have organised food in a beer academy...

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2016, 06:36:04 pm »
Ramblas is tourist mad and expensive, avoid.

Indeed, and potential pick pocket heaven.

I would say though, go first thing in the morning before the tourists are out.

Only place half decent and not overly expensive for a drink is Cafe de l'opera that i know of, probably a couple more but all places apart from that a rip-off.

As the hotel the lad is staying is on Parral-lel (just round from where the festival is), paral-lel has loads of bog standard cheap bars (no ale...) and Poble Sec is on other side from the hotel.

Offline aaronaldo

• Anny Roader
  • YNWA
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2016, 09:08:19 am »
Thanks for all the info guys, will check out some of the places mentioned ! :)

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2016, 04:01:47 pm »
My girlfriend is applying for teaching jobs abroad, Barcelona and Valencia have both come up as options...got everything crossed!

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2016, 11:05:04 am »
Booked a weekend there with a couple of the lads to try and catch the Barca - Espanyol game in May.

Will be my first time in Barcelona so a bit clueless on the area's. Anyone been recently that can recommend a good place/area to stay? Don't fancy getting bumped in the Ramblas.

Mate of mine has mentioned the Silken Diagonal or SB Icaria in Santi Marti, anyone know if this is too much out the way?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 12:30:29 pm by 'Mondzz' »
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2016, 12:42:36 pm »
Booked a weekend there with a couple of the lads to try and catch the Barca - Espanyol game in May.

Will be my first time in Barcelona so a bit clueless on the area's. Anyone been recently that can recommend a good place/area to stay? Don't fancy getting bumped in the Ramblas.

Mate of mine has mentioned the Silken Diagonal or SB Icaria in Santi Marti, anyone know if this is too much out the way?

I've stayed in the Silken Diagonal a few times, nice hotel. Its a bit out from the centre of town but there's a metro stop right beside it and only 4 stops to Placa Catalunya. Its usually less than €10 in a taxi from town.

If you're sharing a room make sure you're fairly comfortable with the other person. The only thing separating the bedroom from the ensuite bathroom is clear glass with a moveable screen which is see-through in certain light!

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2016, 12:53:25 pm »
I've stayed in the Silken Diagonal a few times, nice hotel. Its a bit out from the centre of town but there's a metro stop right beside it and only 4 stops to Placa Catalunya. Its usually less than €10 in a taxi from town.

If you're sharing a room make sure you're fairly comfortable with the other person. The only thing separating the bedroom from the ensuite bathroom is clear glass with a moveable screen which is see-through in certain light!

;D Cheers mate, looks nice enough on the reviews like. Was just worried about location but it doesn't seem to be too bad going from what you said.

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2016, 02:14:56 pm »

You were booking flights earlier in this thread - did you not make it?

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2016, 02:35:42 pm »
You were booking flights earlier in this thread - did you not make it?

No mate fell through when I tried sorting out a trip a while ago. Finally got flights booked now. :)

Offline MOZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2016, 02:42:43 pm »
No mate fell through when I tried sorting out a trip a while ago. Finally got flights booked now. :)

Good stuff.

Most of the stuff in here in still relevant if you have a flick through at earlier posts. I've been dozens of times and Jon Hall is a regular and has posted a lot of useful stuff in here. Have fun!