Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180786 times)

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:11 pm »
Didn't know this thread was still running. Anyone fed up with all the political bollocks at schools now. Its winding me up. Another green paper out and more changes on the way, with thematic curriculums and so on. Its starting to grind me down now. Every year there seems to be 3 or 4 big pushes that are never seen through and evaluated. IE a.p.p instead of SATS etal. 

If we was a business who changed there business plan every 3 months, we would be bankrupt!

Spot on, added to that Ofsted move the goalposts every year, but hey the guy in charge is called Balls!

One other point the Govt and Banks have gone bankrupt in real terms.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #201 on: December 4, 2009, 01:49:24 pm »
Just wait til these Tories get in and the fun can really start...That shadow schools sec. seems like an absolute cock. (The Kid- I'm in Greater Manchester, kids are loving my LFC supporting ways here, no doubt!)

Offline hooded claw

• Foiled by the Anthill Mob
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #203 on: April 23, 2010, 07:26:32 pm »
Thanks Jon that's ace - I didn't want to pick on you individually again ;D

Turns out I've got a few reluctant readers in my Y6 for the next few weeks too - one or two dyslexic, the rest just inexperienced and not keen on the whole concept - so I'll be trying out a few things...
Id be offended if you didn't ask ;)
We have a similar issue with reluctant readers; I did a bit of a survey of the Y5-6 boys and it turned out their Reading role models were largely the women in their lives, so we are working on getting the dads, uncles, granddads etc motivated to get into school and share a range of boy-friendly literature with them.
Sorry for the meagre reply Elli, I'm away from the computer for the next day or two so I'm restricted to iPhone :(

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #204 on: May 10, 2010, 11:33:08 pm »
It was when head teacher John Illingworth had to stop himself from hitting a parent that he realised he needed to take some time off.

"She was a bit upset with someone else in the school and I just could not cope with the interaction."

A head teacher of a Nottingham primary school for 24 years, he went on to have a breakdown at the age of 55.

"It was brought on by an accumulation of stresses. I didn't see it coming but I suddenly found myself unable to do simple things like make decisions or relate to people.

"I realised I was ceasing to function."

He continues: "When a teacher becomes highly stressed, then their capacity to manage the classroom and relationships is often impaired."

"If you look at the case of Peter Harvey the trigger for him was the way that those children were behaving with their mobile phones.

"But if he had not been in a highly stressed state those things would not have triggered the response that he made."

According to England's Health and Safety Executive, teaching is the most stressful occupation there is.

About 80% of teachers complain about stress at work and thousands of teachers leave the profession every year - predominantly due to stress, Mr Illingworth says.

But what is it about teaching that makes it so stressful? For Mr Illingworth, it is the emotionally intensive nature of the activity.

"In a classroom of 25 to 30 pupils, all with individual needs, you have to be on top of your game - particularly if you have a challenging class."

Former teacher and educational researcher Dr Kevin Eames says the pressures of the job are very intense and draining.

"It's exciting. The adrenaline burn from the classroom is like nothing else and I've done a range of things and I keep coming back to the classroom.

"Teachers I've worked with who have come in from law, finance and journalism have commented that it is the most demanding, tiring and busy thing they have ever done," he says.

Teachers have always had to get up in front of the class and put on a performance. But things seem to be getting tougher for teachers.

According to the Teacher Support Network, which runs a well-being helpline, one in four of those who called between January and March this year described themselves as suffering from stress - compared to one in five the year before.

The helpline has thousands of calls and e-mails every year from teachers struggling to protect their wellbeing at work.

In the first quarter of 2010 the network's support services were used 49,000 times.

What is it about today's school environment that is making things more difficult for teachers?

Mr Illingworth says England's teachers are the most closely monitored in the world by Ofsted and by their own head teachers.

And there is very little down-time for teachers to re-charge and re-energise themselves."

He says: "In badly managed schools, head teachers are adding to the stress.

"If a teacher says they are feeling stressed. They often get a very negative reaction - like you had better just get on with it."

Chief executive of the Teacher Support Network, Julian Stanley, says: "Teachers should not be demonised for taking time off because of stress or other common mental health problems.

"Time away from the classroom is sometimes the best way to safeguard the well-being of individual teachers and prevent good teachers from leaving the profession altogether.

"Sickness absence decreases - and therefore standards of education for pupils improve - when schools implement meaningful policies that protect and enhance teachers' well-being."

But there is something else. Dr Eames says there has been a change in culture in recent years, which has turned pupils and students into consumers of educational services.

He adds: "If something goes wrong - it's the teacher's fault. If the exam results are not what are expected it is also the teacher's fault.

"It's this shift from pupils learning from someone who has the knowledge - to becoming consumers who are judging the providers of that knowledge - it's like a beauty contest into 'edutainment'," he adds.

Returning to the case of Mr Harvey, Mr Illingworth says cases like his where the teacher ends up striking out are fortunately very rare.

"Most teachers just crawl away broken people. This stress is destroying teachers lives and the lives of the families."

Recovered from his breakdown, Mr Illingworth has turned his experience into a positive by helping other teachers deal with their stress.

But sadly he still feels unable to cope with being in a classroom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/10093529.stm

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #205 on: May 11, 2010, 02:55:37 pm »
Am I allowed in this thread, Im going PGCE in september and work in schools now although not got the teacher title yet :P
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #206 on: May 11, 2010, 03:05:46 pm »
Aye join in, otherwise it's just me talking to myself or Hooded Claw helping people! Where are you doing your PGCE/what is it in?

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: May 11, 2010, 03:11:21 pm »
Aye join in, otherwise it's just me talking to myself or Hooded Claw helping people! Where are you doing your PGCE/what is it in?

Doing my PGCE at the University of East Anglia and is in PE!

What do you teach?
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #208 on: May 11, 2010, 04:37:24 pm »
MFL here, only 2 and a half weeks til half term :D

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: May 11, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
We offer half term activites for primary pupils so don't really get a half term, just 3 days off, but better then nothing!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #210 on: May 11, 2010, 07:55:37 pm »
I'm taking a gang of kids to Barcelona at half term so don't have it either. Should be a nice change from the classroom tho :)

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: May 11, 2010, 07:57:05 pm »
Taking 78 year 8 kids to Paris in June. Wish me luck.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #212 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
Fucking hell, good luck Si! We're just taking 32 KS3 (mix) kids, got my head of department and an assistant head with us tho so should be less stress.
Did my first trip in March, although taking 6 a level pupils to Malaga wasn't too stressful either

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:18 pm »
Hey teachers, I've written an argumentative speech as an assignment and I'm holding the speech tomorrow. Now the instructions for the speech were that it needs to be argumentative, it needs to have an introduction, background information, thesis, at least arguments, counter-arguments to squash and a good finish, and it needs to be between 2,5 and 3,5 minutes.

Now, my speech is on the situation in Afghanistan. How am I supposed to go get all the parts done in 3,5 minutes? I've shortened it down as much as I can and it now takes 6 minutes at a decent pace. Anything I remove now will be sorely missed and will greatly reduce the quality of the speech.

What would you say is more important (of course this might be individual)? The length of the speech or the substance of it?

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 11, 2010, 08:06:30 pm »
Fucking hell, good luck Si! We're just taking 32 KS3 (mix) kids, got my head of department and an assistant head with us tho so should be less stress.
Did my first trip in March, although taking 6 a level pupils to Malaga wasn't too stressful either

It's my first one and I'm in charge. A couple of people going have been before though so we should be OK. I'm sure nobody will notice if we a lose a few :)

Offline redmachine

• Legacy Fan
  • Y N W A
« Reply #215 on: May 11, 2010, 08:29:23 pm »
Had our new lesson observation criteria through this week, apparently I am now going to be judged on how enthusiastic the pupils in my class are........

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:06 pm »
Had our new lesson observation criteria through this week, apparently I am now going to be judged on how enthusiastic the pupils in my class are........

Bribe them with sweets beforehand :) Simples.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2010, 09:13:51 pm »
It's my first one and I'm in charge. A couple of people going have been before though so we should be OK. I'm sure nobody will notice if we a lose a few :)

My mum was supposed to take 50 there a few weeks back but had to cancel due to the ash cloud, company were really good about it though so she's trying to get it arranged again before the end of the school year.

I've got a British Council post as a Language Assistant in France starting in September.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

"Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone
YNWA Rafa.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: May 11, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »
I've got a British Council post as a Language Assistant in France starting in September.

I did that twice in Germany. Screaming good laugh. Where you heading?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #219 on: May 11, 2010, 09:24:01 pm »
I did that twice in Germany. Screaming good laugh. Where you heading?

Region of Orleans-Tours. Was my second choice but still good, just hopin I can hang on to my job that I'm in until then.
I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 11, 2010, 10:58:14 pm »
Region of Orleans-Tours. Was my second choice but still good, just hopin I can hang on to my job that I'm in until then.

Second choice is not too bad. If I may offer you some advice (assuming you have school/uni French), when you go shopping and doing day-to-day stuff, test yourself on the French words for everything.

They rarely actually teach you the really important stuff.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 11, 2010, 11:12:56 pm »
Ill be joining this thread in September.
Doing my HDip in UCD in December.

2 weeks I do my final BA exams.

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #222 on: May 11, 2010, 11:34:03 pm »
Ill be joining this thread in September.
Doing my HDip in UCD in December.

2 weeks I do my final BA exams.
Welcome to the Dark Side  :wave

All the best for the Finals mate.

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2010, 12:17:58 am »
Welcome to the Dark Side  :wave

All the best for the Finals mate.
Cheers mate.
Took my time time getting there. If you look at my last thread started youll see that its gonna take a great effort.
But Ive been doing well so far.
World Cup summer then its head down.

The Dark Side was always cooler anyway.

Offline Mikuss

• Dynamo Midfielder
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • PSN- Mikuss
« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:15 am »
I came in here thinking this was a thread about Whiskey, i think i may have a problem.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2010, 12:27:43 am »
That's your second tour of duty, isn't it? Congrats. Where was your first choice, cos Orléans and Tours are pretty good - you'll not be bored... Are you in college or lycée? (Or did you go younger?)

Depends on whether it can be counted as the same as the previous one. My first choice was actually a return to Lyon, but I did visit Tours on my year abroad and it was really good, even if I was only there for a short time.

Went younger than college, I'm gonna be in primary, have some experience of teaching other subjects in primary in France.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:30 am »
Fucking great start to the day, doing high jump and a kid knees themself in the nose when landing....blood everywhere and the rest of the class then scared to do it!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #227 on: May 12, 2010, 03:03:11 pm »
Just spent the day at GE Healthcare. The kids loved it; my favourite bit was the fingerprint taking and classification.

Won't be the last time for a few of 'em, either.

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #228 on: May 12, 2010, 11:57:18 pm »
You're all the bunch of massively overpaid, over indulged slackers with too many holidays working in a namby pamby system that rewards kids with 10 gold stars was doing the simplest most dumbest things and where there's a complete failure to teach kids discipline (though that stunt involving the dumbell and the Chelsea kid was good though).

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #229 on: May 13, 2010, 07:20:07 am »
Blistering Barnacles!

Offline hooded claw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Plate Licked Clean
« Reply #230 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43:06 am »
You're all the bunch of massively overpaid, over indulged slackers with too many holidays working in a namby pamby system that rewards kids with 10 gold stars was doing the simplest most dumbest things and where there's a complete failure to teach kids discipline (though that stunt involving the dumbell and the Chelsea kid was good though).
Yes, but when the 'system' works so demonstrably well, who are we to differ?

Offline smicer07

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: May 13, 2010, 07:50:36 am »

Maybe if parents gave a shit the discipline side of things would be slightly easier. Rather than having kids who are a pain in the arse and parents who you never see because they don't come to parents' evenings and let little Johnny play his PS3 until 5am and then wonder why he doesn't behave.

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 13, 2010, 11:32:03 am »

Teachers are powerless nowadays. My old PE teacher pinned me up against the wall when I was in school and there was nothing I could do about it. Regardless, I never messed about in one of his lessons again. Kids have too many rights and they know it too. There is only so many strategies you can use, a few handful don't care if there excluded. It's a few days off school for them and the parents don't give a shite either. I agree there is a lack of discipline but something drastic needs to be implied by the government. My old man always said bring back the cain, when I was in school I thought he was just bitter, but now the shoes on the other foot I can see why he wants it back.

As for the holidays, yeah maybe there is alot but a teachers job isn't all done in the classroom. Theres lesson plans, it usually takes an hour to plan a good lesson. 5 hours a day, 5 days a week is 25 lessons to plan. Admittedly there are some periods where you aren't always teaching. Plus all the marking you get which is alot in examination subjects but the assessment is vital for feedback to the pupils that do want to improve. It's only really christmas and the summer holidays most teachers get to relax a bit, and even then its preparation for the new year.

I'd suggest you do a bit more research on a subject you clearly don't have the correct knowledge about.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Upanishad

• Change is good
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • hi
« Reply #233 on: May 13, 2010, 12:01:03 pm »
I came in here thinking this was a thread about Whiskey, i think i may have a problem.
:lmao
Voyager-1 is on course to approach a star called AC +793888, but it will only get to within two light-years of it and it will be tens of thousands of years before it does so.

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #234 on: May 13, 2010, 08:46:14 pm »
Can't believe it's been a year since that horrible lesson where it all went wrong for me.

YNWA Rafa.

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #235 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:08 pm »
Signed my permanent contract today, nice feeling :)

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:03 pm »
Can't believe it's been a year since that horrible lesson where it all went wrong for me.

Do you mind me asking what happened? If it's too personal or you'd rather not say then that's completely fine!
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline RigBon1892

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #237 on: May 13, 2010, 11:59:45 pm »
Do you mind me asking what happened? If it's too personal or you'd rather not say then that's completely fine!

Basically it was all going ok til the week of the Year 6 SATs, my literacy set was full of a group of kids half of whom were on heavy medication, others of which needed a TA for supervision, both my TA and my class teacher were scribing for the year 6s so I was left on my own with all these kids who needed medication for something or other.

There was one particular pupil in the class who didnt get along with female teachers, he only insisted on having the same teacher all day every day, and from day 1 he made it his mission to make my life a living hell.

On this particular day he finally succeeded in getting the rest of the class to do likewise just when I had a uni observation. My tutor said if it'd been her in that situation she'd have walked out halfway through the lesson.

YNWA Rafa.

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #238 on: May 14, 2010, 01:43:02 pm »
I'm nearly through my NQT year now, can't believe how quickly its actualy gone...Got made permanent as well, which is a bonus on these uncertain times. Now lets wait for the Tory government backlash on comprehensives...

Online TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #239 on: May 14, 2010, 01:57:13 pm »
Great relief getting that permanent contract isn't it. Just sending off my golden hello forms today too :)