Author Topic: The Teachers' Thread  (Read 180778 times)

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Teachers' Thread
« Reply #1600 on: July 19, 2019, 07:52:08 am »
The rest are quite lucky to be honest.

Yeah possibly. Her head apologised last year a few times for the lack of time she had so not sure if it’s their school policy to try and give more.

Offline androulla

• aka little monkey
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #1601 on: July 20, 2019, 01:06:34 am »
Happy summer holidays to everyone who has finished for their break today... only three more working days to go for me : )

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #1602 on: July 29, 2019, 08:39:17 pm »
It will be a bit strange for me to not go back in September for the first Inset days, it wont feel like i have actually retired till then.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1603 on: July 30, 2019, 09:31:38 am »
It will be a bit strange for me to not go back in September for the first Inset days, it wont feel like i have actually retired till then.

Enjoy! A few retired at my place (private school) who have been at the school a good 25-30 years! Must be an odd feeling to finally call it a day. Couldn't last that long if I was still in the state sector - only just lasted 4 and a half years and very nearly quit teaching all together.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #1604 on: July 30, 2019, 09:36:00 am »
I currently think I’d have no problem.

But I reckon I’d miss the optimism and verve of young people.

Still... it would be nice to find out ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1605 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:53 pm »
Was meant to say, passed last year and didn't go into it in the end.  Applied for a couple of jobs and got one interview which I obviously didn't get.  So I'm here after a year out and knowing the mental health problems I had through my training year I still have the urge to go back to it, probably after Summer 2020.  Anyone know what sort of experience I should look to get if I'm going to start re-applying in the New Year?  Got a second kid now so time is even more limited, but, I dunno, it's like the ex you keep going back to!
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: August 21, 2019, 11:05:36 pm »
Why don’t you just do some supply work to get experience?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: August 21, 2019, 11:11:54 pm »
And to be honest you did Physics didn’t you?

You could probably walk into a full time job right now at many schools.
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1608 on: September 1, 2019, 02:54:50 pm »
Everyone back tomorrow? 2 Inset days for me to ease my way back into the chaos.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1609 on: September 1, 2019, 02:55:39 pm »
As always I’m profoundly depressed about going back...

I’ll get over it in a week or so
W

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: September 1, 2019, 02:58:51 pm »

That's it - after a week you're back in the swing of it - hate just feeling unprepared at this stage - shit load of photocopying and exercise book finding in the next few days - seating plans etc

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1611 on: September 1, 2019, 03:29:24 pm »
Monday and Tuesday off then an inset on Wednesday

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: September 1, 2019, 03:58:54 pm »

Whereas us parents are glad to be rid of the kids again ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1613 on: September 1, 2019, 05:26:26 pm »
Nothing against you Rob, but I fucking hate seeing people on Facebook saying that every September.  Like having to look after their own kids is some kind of hardship or horrible time. Certainly explains how some of their kids have turned out though

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1614 on: September 1, 2019, 06:00:21 pm »
Whereas us parents are glad to be rid of the kids again ;D

Where as us partners of teachers are glad to be rid of them again ;D

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: September 1, 2019, 06:38:28 pm »
Nothing against you Rob, but I fucking hate seeing people on Facebook saying that every September.  Like having to look after their own kids is some kind of hardship or horrible time. Certainly explains how some of their kids have turned out though

Its not a horrible time, but it is very hard for working families and in the UK, Kids holidays are sadly a chance for someone to fleece parents. This day and age most families need two working adults, I get 25 days holiday, same as the wife, we take the kids away on family holidays, so we cannot cover the 13 weeks the kids get off each year. She adjusted her working time when we had our eldest so she leaves for work at half 6, finishes at 12:45 so she could go get him from her Ma's and then nursery. Holidays he went to Holiday club. When we were putting the two of them in, it was costing us £56 PER MORNING, per day. I take loads of half day holidays during summer to spend time with the lads, so I'm awake at 6, run about with them and go in to for for 1:45PM. Usually meant I then didn't have any proper holidays/rest for 6 or 7 months.

It has gotten easier now as her brother lives next door and works from home, his missus retired at 47, so the kids stay in the house and they keep an eye on them, so the wife gets up at 5, I get up at 6 and work til 8, sort the kids out, then go into the office for 10 and she gets home at 11:30.

We chose to have kids, so we just get on with it, but fuck its tough at times.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1616 on: September 1, 2019, 07:53:55 pm »
Oh yeah, no doubt for working parents it’s hard both physically (entertaining them all day seven days a week sometimes) and financially paying for childcare rather than the free stuff we give you during the school year ;)

And you think that holiday companies fleece parents, imagine being a teacher who can’t pull their kids out of school during term time for a better deal :(

I’m starting my role as head of year in earnest this year so I’m looking forward to properly getting stuck into that; more than the actual ‘teaching’ part. Pastoral is definitely more my thing than curriculum

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: September 1, 2019, 07:55:35 pm »
Its not a horrible time, but it is very hard for working families and in the UK, Kids holidays are sadly a chance for someone to fleece parents. This day and age most families need two working adults, I get 25 days holiday, same as the wife, we take the kids away on family holidays, so we cannot cover the 13 weeks the kids get off each year. She adjusted her working time when we had our eldest so she leaves for work at half 6, finishes at 12:45 so she could go get him from her Ma's and then nursery. Holidays he went to Holiday club. When we were putting the two of them in, it was costing us £56 PER MORNING, per day. I take loads of half day holidays during summer to spend time with the lads, so I'm awake at 6, run about with them and go in to for for 1:45PM. Usually meant I then didn't have any proper holidays/rest for 6 or 7 months.

It has gotten easier now as her brother lives next door and works from home, his missus retired at 47, so the kids stay in the house and they keep an eye on them, so the wife gets up at 5, I get up at 6 and work til 8, sort the kids out, then go into the office for 10 and she gets home at 11:30.

We chose to have kids, so we just get on with it, but fuck its tough at times.

I don't have kids myself but know from people I work with how tough it is financially now. As you say paying for care over the holidays must be tough and then when they get older it's finding things to do all summer at a reasonable price - not helped by holidays being 200 odd quid plus more expensive during these times.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: September 1, 2019, 08:02:56 pm »
As a teacher who is a parent it can be financially tough even without childcare.

But I love every moment of the time I have with my children. I just find it so odd when People don’t.
W

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #1619 on: September 1, 2019, 08:19:28 pm »
Was kind of the point I was getting at Tepid. We haven’t been away this summer but I’ve spend so much quality time with my seven year old it’s been amazing. But then I don’t have to have the headache of thinking of childcare so am very lucky there

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: September 2, 2019, 08:47:33 am »
As a teacher who is a parent it can be financially tough even without childcare.

But I love every moment of the time I have with my children. I just find it so odd when People don’t.
Was kind of the point I was getting at Tepid. We haven’t been away this summer but I’ve spend so much quality time with my seven year old it’s been amazing. But then I don’t have to have the headache of thinking of childcare so am very lucky there

One of my ex's was/is a teacher, last I heard she was head of English. She loved teaching kids but never wanted them, which I found strange.

I'm the same as you two, I love being with my kids, I love having them about - my Dad was a selfish bastard, I suppose being a Dad at 18 didn't help - who was always off doing Karate, so I make sure I see as much of my kids as I can. I've been taking them to Nursery/school for 9 years now and that is time I have loved. We hear all this people don't have enough kids and that the demographics are changing, but the government do nothing to help. I've spoken to people in Tenerife and Spain and their childcare is so cheap.

Big week for my eldest, he starts at the local Grammar School on Wednesday, should be fun. I'm jealous of him as it looks wonderful, far better than Ruffwood in 1978 ;D

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1621 on: September 2, 2019, 10:55:46 pm »
Bloody hell

Watched a prevent video today.... one of the extremists sounded like they might be primeminister next week...
W

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #1622 on: September 3, 2019, 01:04:28 am »
For any of you primary teachers what do you reckon of the attainment rates of this school ?

72% of kids are up to the national standard of reading , writing etc.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/mosspits-lane-primary-school-6488282
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 01:08:19 am by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #1624 on: September 17, 2019, 05:02:53 pm »
Ofsted in today and tomorrow! Had my meeting with them today, they gave me quite a quizzing but think I left them feeling fulfilled.

I did manage to knock over her cup of tea which went over my EHCP folder :D
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: September 17, 2019, 05:42:09 pm »
Ofsted in today and tomorrow! Had my meeting with them today, they gave me quite a quizzing but think I left them feeling fulfilled.

Good luck mate- glad I don't have to face that O word again in the independent sector! Haven't they got a hard on for curriculum design at the minute? Endless curriculum spreadsheets being designed all year I'm sure...

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: September 18, 2019, 03:28:42 pm »
Good luck mate- glad I don't have to face that O word again in the independent sector! Haven't they got a hard on for curriculum design at the minute? Endless curriculum spreadsheets being designed all year I'm sure...

They have, we're a new school (two years open) and have just implemented a new curriculum so we're not going to get a decent outcome at the moment. It's split into intent, implementation and impact. We haven't had time to impact the success of the new curriculum. We've got indicators but no raw data to prove it.

My first as an SLT member and I've actually enjoyed doing it. Shattered now though.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: September 18, 2019, 09:05:21 pm »
They have, we're a new school (two years open) and have just implemented a new curriculum so we're not going to get a decent outcome at the moment. It's split into intent, implementation and impact. We haven't had time to impact the success of the new curriculum. We've got indicators but no raw data to prove it.

My first as an SLT member and I've actually enjoyed doing it. Shattered now though.
The impact should be more about the skills, knowledge and destinations you want kids to achieve (and these should lead to good academic outcomes in theory)... don’t fixate on raw numbers at this stage.  Think about what you want to able to see when you go into classrooms as a guide...

This is my area of shit!

W

Online Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1628 on: September 18, 2019, 10:39:44 pm »

Did they look at your in-house data?

Did they look at lesson planning?
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: September 19, 2019, 11:02:14 am »

They won’t look at the first unless you expressly insist and even then it’s unlikely.

W

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1630 on: September 19, 2019, 11:05:09 am »
My missus us expecting an inspection this year, which will be her first. It’s been quite long for her school since the last, I think 13 years, and they got a new head 12 months ago so they’re all expecting it to happen at some point this year.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1631 on: September 19, 2019, 11:11:31 am »
My missus us expecting an inspection this year, which will be her first. It’s been quite long for her school since the last, I think 13 years, and they got a new head 12 months ago so they’re all expecting it to happen at some point this year.
Nah

I don’t see it.

That’s the head worrying about it. It’s unlikely to happen until the rules change . Which hasn’t happened yet
W

Online Roughie Scouse

• Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #1632 on: September 19, 2019, 11:35:08 am »
Nah

I don’t see it.

That’s the head worrying about it. It’s unlikely to happen until the rules change . Which hasn’t happened yet

If it’s been 13 years the school must be sitting on an outstanding. They are no longer except and so a subject to a visit, is my understanding
"There are places I'll remember all my life"  The Beatles,  ISTANBUL 2005

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1633 on: September 19, 2019, 11:36:38 am »
If it’s been 13 years the school must be sitting on an outstanding. They are no longer except and so a subject to a visit, is my understanding

Yeah, that was her thoughts as the school was rated outstanding last time out.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1634 on: September 19, 2019, 06:05:48 pm »
I’d be very surprised if it happens this year.

Lack of exemption hasn’t yet been approve
W

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1635 on: September 20, 2019, 11:54:05 am »

They didn't go in depth in data. For example, when we said things like behaviour/attendance has improved they just asked us to back it up with evidence.

They didn't look specifically at lessons plans, they did ask the same question to all staff along the lines of "what information do you use to inform your planning?" Which is where I staff then shared the data folders we keep to explain.

This was my first at SLT level and I have to say it was no where near as harrowing as the horror stories you hear. Both inspectors were friendly and approachable at anytime. Very poker faced and gave nothing away but they worked with us and gave us time to produce any information we didn't have to hand.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: September 20, 2019, 11:55:50 am »
The impact should be more about the skills, knowledge and destinations you want kids to achieve (and these should lead to good academic outcomes in theory)... don’t fixate on raw numbers at this stage.  Think about what you want to able to see when you go into classrooms as a guide...

This is my area of shit!

You're right, we have a two year plan for curriculum. But currently ours is only built for this year, she picked up on the lack of sequencing through the terms and key stages. Luckily, this isn't my area! :)
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1637 on: September 20, 2019, 12:53:05 pm »
You're right, we have a two year plan for curriculum. But currently ours is only built for this year, she picked up on the lack of sequencing through the terms and key stages. Luckily, this isn't my area! :)
I have got us sequenced to buggery.  Our T&L policy even has it as a core part of it.

Interesting to hear your feedback on ‘what informed your planning though’.  Any other tidbits?  You’re a rare thing having been inspected under the new framework!
W

Offline rakey_lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1638 on: September 24, 2019, 02:18:12 pm »
I have got us sequenced to buggery.  Our T&L policy even has it as a core part of it.

Interesting to hear your feedback on ‘what informed your planning though’.  Any other tidbits?  You’re a rare thing having been inspected under the new framework!

Being a Social, Emotional Mental Health provision we have a number on part time timetables. They asked if we'd considered the risk of them not being in school as part of our risk assessment. She basically said we needed an extra box on our risk assessments. The other part to this was what were we doing to increase their time back to full time and reviewing in every half term. We review every term and she said that wasn't enough. Don't know if this applies to your provision.

They were very hot on Safeguarding in particular first day calling. They arrived before students arrived and were out in the car park gathering parents thoughts.

The inspectors themselves were very laid back and were willing to work with us and I was able to go back in after one meeting and ask a question/offer suggestions.

The way the report is written is different now too. So the SLT of the school finds out straight away the grading's, strengths and areas to improve of each section. The report is now written in "parent speak" and geared specifically to the parents.
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1639 on: January 28, 2020, 07:45:06 pm »
Quick question for the teachers in here...

How many extra frees do your Head of Years get over a standard teacher? Mentioned in here previously about my gf being a HoY and her frees are now pretty identical (she gets 1 hour extra over 2 weeks) to the target number of frees the school aims to give a standard teacher and they've decided to add in some extra work this week which will pretty much take the entirety of that up so they're all kicking off. Just wanted to see what other schools give so she could compare!