Author Topic: Alzheimers - your help is requested  (Read 5186 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Alzheimers - your help is requested
« on: May 22, 2006, 09:41:16 am »
A truly frightening disease, one which robs people of their family whilst they're still alive. There are an estimated 750,000 people suffering dementia in the UK alone. What's more, there is no one cause which researchers have been able to pinpoint. Genetic factors seem to account for only a small number of cases and factors such as lifestyle and age are also significant. Clearly more research needs to be done.

Following the loss of his father to the disease, Antony Ormersher and his daughter are raising money to fund further research. You can help them by donating via the Just Giving website.

You can find more information on Alzheimers and other forms of dementia at the UK Alzheimers Society
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Tarpaulin

• Polish Ambassador to Liverpool
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Alzheimers - your help is requested
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 10:05:29 am »
My Grandad suffered terribly with it, was horrific.

The only thing he could remember at the end was the starting XI of the Liverpool side for his 1st match on the Kop!

I will visit that site this evening when i get home.

Thanks Matt,

Andy :wave

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 04:58:35 pm »
Met a very sexy bird last year who was signing people up to give to Alzheimers charity. In part due to her feminine appeals i now have a direct debit to give them a little bit every month.

And a very worthy cause it is too.
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline KTS

• Loves the mods so very much, especially on RAWK
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 09:30:59 pm »
Antony Ormesher is the father of my son's mate. They are struggling to meet their target at the moment, any extra help I know will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Has no opinion as it is normally wrong.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 09:40:54 pm »
Its a very good cause, a good friend of mine did the London Marathon in April and raised over 1500 quid for Alzheimer's.

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:06:57 am »
If anyone wants to donate spare computer resources to Alzheimers research there's a distributed computing project which is trying to improve understanding of how Alzheimers and other similar diseases work.

http://folding.stanford.edu/

A few people set up a "team" for LFC supporters years ago, its number 1539 if anyone wants to join up.

Offline Bob Kurac

• Cares.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Modern football is shit
« Reply #6 on: June 7, 2006, 05:42:17 pm »
Popped a bit into this.

Offline adopted_scouser

• Whooooosssshhh!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • I don't like cats.
« Reply #7 on: June 7, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
Awful disease.  I've had to visit a relative at the hospital afew times lately, and there's a woman in the bed opposite with Alzheimers.  Every day it's the same conversation "Where am I?  Why?  Who are you?" etc.  That's terrible on it's own, but when they start to get aggressive thinking that they are being attacked.  Terrible stuff.
She keeps getting texts off him saying "Oh please take me back, I love you and I'm still not over you". We read them together naked and then we laugh about it. Then she blows me off.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 10:20:13 am »
This shows what might be achieved through research:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1150149009898&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

New drug offers hope against Alzheimer's
AZD-103 found by U of T researchers Shown to reverse some
damage from disease
Jun. 13, 2006. 01:00 AM
ELAINE CAREY
HEALTH REPORTER

University of Toronto researchers have found a drug that could halt the progression of Alzheimer's disease and may reverse some of its damage, bringing them one step closer to a cure for the devastating degenerative brain disorder.

When the drug was given to mice that had been genetically altered to have Alzheimer's, it prevented the buildup of amyloid beta peptide, which causes the disease's toxic neural damage, the researchers told a news conference.

The drug, known as scyllo-cyclohexanehexol or AZD-103, was announced yesterday in the online journal Nature Medicine.

It not only stops the onset of Alzheimer's in mice but is also effective as a treatment after the symptoms have begun and can reverse some memory loss, said lead scientist JoAnne McLaurin, who has spent 12 years on the research.

The peptide can cause lethal injury to the brain that shows up as memory loss, but if the drug is given early enough, before the brain cells have died, they can recover, she said.

Until now, the only available treatments work only on the symptoms, she said, and the disease progresses even though the patient seems stabilized.

"This compounds shows it can actually attack the disease process," she said. "We have effectively demonstrated improvement in memory and pathology among mice and are cautiously optimistic that the same may hold true for human patients."

Phase 1 clinical trials in humans began two weeks ago and Transition Therapeutics Inc., a Canadian firm, hopes to begin trials in patients with Alzheimer's by the end of the year, said Dr. Tony Cruz, the company's chairman and CEO.

Finding a molecule that breaks up the amyloid beta peptides was "a real breakthrough," he said. If the drug proves safe and effective, it could be on the market by early 2011. So far, it has shown no toxicity in animals.

As it marks the 100th anniversary of the discovery of the disease by Dr. Alois Alzheimer, a German neurologist in 1906, "I can't think of a better announcement to demonstrate progress and hope," said Linda Stebbins, executive director of the Alzheimer Society of Ontario. "We're very excited about this discovery. We think it's an important step forward."

Peter St. George-Hyslop, head of the U of T Centre for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, cautioned the drug still has to be proven effective in humans.

"This is an experimental drug that looks promising but there are many drugs that look good that don't work in humans," he said. "This could be a home run or a strike out, but we're still going to learn a lot from this."

The drug could be part of a cocktail that would be used in conjunction with other therapies, he said, much like the multiple-drug AIDS cocktail.

The study is a longterm collaboration between U of T and the Alzheimer Society of Ontario, funded by both federal and provincial research organizations.

"If successful, it will be an example of basic science being funded from the initial discovery through to a translational product that can be used by a Canadian company to improve the quality of life for people with Alzheimer's," St. George-Hyslop said.

An estimated 475,000 people in Canada have Alzheimer's or a related form of dementia and that number is projected to surpass 750,000 by 2031 as the population ages. One in 13 Canadians 65 and up has Alzheimer's. After 85, that number jumps to one in three
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Pandora

• Main Stander
  • Justice
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 10:05:28 pm »
Perhaps as a New Year's resolution we could all sign up and allow our computers to be used either in the background or when idle to do some useful research. Sign up to the LFC team for the folding@home project at http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download
then configure your system to team 1539.
Thanks

Offline horne

• y
  • Legacy Fan
  • through a storm
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:02:09 pm »
i look after my mum who has it in a mild form.its a frustrating one i tell you.
did a course on  it and the scary bit is that most of will be effected by it in our lives.
a cure is needed badly....and quickly.....
success = the absence of the fear of failure

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 11:04:15 pm »
My company recon they have a cure for about 40% of patients

its at its clinical trials stage so fingers crossed
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 1, 2009, 01:22:33 am »
There was a lot of interest in research made public last summer (2008) about a possible new single-drug 'cure'. I went to a lecture a few weeks back given by one of the members of that research team but there is a huge amount of skepticism surrounding it. A fair number of clinical trials are looking at different ways of halting the progression of the disease as well but it's very much up in the air. I don't know many thorough details but it'll take a lot more time and a lot more funding for a single cure to be found. A great shame really, it really is a horrible thing.
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #13 on: January 1, 2009, 01:29:02 am »
My wife is a nurse on a ward that has many patients suffering from this awful disease. She will come home and often tell me awful stories about how they are acting and what they are saying. A near 90 year little old lady was very upset and crying because her parents hadn't come to see her and that they would be worried about her. Sadly her parents had died many years ago....
She does have some funny ones as well but they are very few and between.

Hope a cure can be found one day....
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #14 on: January 1, 2009, 01:35:49 am »
My missus' nan has it, and is in hospital at the moment, and always does as you've mentioned, saying her mum will be worried about her and she needs to go home.
We have the same conversations about 10 times per visit and it breaks my heart every time especially remembering back 5 years when she was compus mentus

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 1, 2009, 02:45:32 am »
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #16 on: January 1, 2009, 05:00:04 am »
My missus' nan has it, and is in hospital at the moment, and always does as you've mentioned, saying her mum will be worried about her and she needs to go home.
We have the same conversations about 10 times per visit and it breaks my heart every time especially remembering back 5 years when she was compus mentus
My Gran has it and it killed me to see her the way she was the last time we spoke. She can't remember anyone, she can't feed herself anymore and it breaks my heart. She was a wonderful lady with a massive heart and time for anyone.
My mum spoke to me not long before i left 4 months ago about her and told me that she hoped that "God" would take gran soon as she couldn't stand seeing her mum like this.

Truly one of the worst diseases. :(
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #17 on: January 1, 2009, 12:07:52 pm »
Exactly same here, she literally doesn't know who anyone is.
Worst part is she still lives in her own house, on her own. Now that may not sound like it should be the worst part, but considering her state of mind she should be 'in a home'. One of the missus' aunties tho won't have it and is doing everything to keep her at home. Am I being cynical to think she's waiting for her to pop her clogs then take everything so she doesn't want it all going on settling her in a nursing home? I don't think I am

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 1, 2009, 12:12:15 pm »
I think you are - is the aunty a helper? perhaps she thinks it looks bad on her part if her help is deemed inadaquate - exact same case with my great aunt and her helper

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #19 on: January 1, 2009, 12:17:05 pm »
I'm really not, put it this way, her auntie is in charge of her money, and is very very sneaky with it.
And it's not just her mind I worry about, but her wellbeing. I've lost count of the times we've gone to her house and she's left the front door jammed open with the utility cupboard door right next to it - "so her friends can get in".
Now it's not the roughest of areas but it's also not the nicest, and although she has nothing of value there, a would be burglar doesn't know that.
So in conclusion, my wife's auntie is a c*nt ;)

royhendo

« Reply #20 on: January 1, 2009, 01:40:09 pm »
My Dad suffered with Alzheimers and Dementia for years before he passed - amazing how he kept his dignity throughout it, and amazingly his sense of humour, but it's a horrible disease, and terribly difficult for those who bear the burden of care.

Our family do a lot for Action on Dementia now and appreciate you posting this Armin, albeit we donate directly.

Offline Oscar3

• Kopite
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #21 on: January 1, 2009, 02:33:25 pm »
A terrible,terrible condition.I have worked with people with Alzheimers and other forms of Dementia.Its the Families i feel sorry for.They practically have to mourn twice.The people who suffer with the condition are sometimes the happiest beings alive.They do not have a care in the world.That is of course in the later stages.In the early stages they become so,so frustrated as they know something is wrong but they dont know why or how.To spend 5 hours with someone in the later stages is extremely demanding so how family members cope i have no idea.Most of the time they have no alternative but to put them into secure accomodation as they can become a danger to themselves and others(Going for walks,getting lost and risks around the home).Health wise they can be sound which makes that decision heart breaking.
sons of men who stand like gods

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #22 on: January 1, 2009, 05:26:35 pm »
Is exactly what I'm getting at with the missus nan going into secure accomodation.
When she broke her hip it was luckily while one of her four daily care visitors was there, rather than someone finding her having been on the floor all night.
We went to help her eat dinner today and it's like feeding a baby, sad isn't the word :(

Offline LFC on tour

• Lawn Mower.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 2, 2009, 02:14:56 pm »
I feel for anyone who has Alzheimers or knows anyone with the disease. It's a horrible, life changing and ultimately life ruining disease.

There was one man i was looking after in America called Teddy, and he'd been going to the Camp for 20 years+ now and very year he would help out cleaning the dinner hall as he liked cleaning. When he arrived this year, he didn't even know his own name. He spent his first 3 hours of camp staring at his name tag on his locker. Very depressing.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #24 on: January 3, 2009, 01:10:57 am »
My Mother in Law who is 96 has this now.What is sad is  she keeps asking for her son who died in a tragic freak accident at work  at 34yrs old,in 1988. She sees him as a 13 yr old . Wants to know why he hasnt come in  he s to young to be out playing .She cannot relate that  his 2 children are her grandchildren  and her great grandaughter.It is a very sad thing.Its also heartbreaking for her daughter in law too who has been so good to her over the years .The thing is she still knows all of us but  no one else.
« Last Edit: January 3, 2009, 01:14:37 am by flw »
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline mark s

• gone fishin'
  • Legacy Fan
  • used to be a regular but now just irregular
« Reply #25 on: January 4, 2009, 02:48:29 pm »
bttt
the anfield shrine - those were the days my friend

Offline NYkopite

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2009, 03:13:37 am »
A great series on Alzheimer's on HBO. Each program can be watched at the website below. Very moving, but some hopeful treatments may be here soon:

http://www.hbo.com/alzheimers/the-films.html

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2009, 03:23:20 am »
One of me ex birds arl fellas was shit hot on it . He was a doctor and all that.

Have a bevvie , be happy and ther'e something in the sulphur .

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2009, 05:38:54 am »
The worst thing was when my granny realised she was loosing her mind.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2009, 05:58:45 am »

The worst thing was when my granny realised she was loosing her mind.

Being 'onest like what 's the alternative?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Armless Joe Gambino

• Will stone fred at the drop of a hat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 06:25:00 am »
Just try to remind your loved one about good times.

I cannot say a reaction is a good or a bad thing but a smile never hurt anyone. 
In my day everbody drank and smoked and nobody took drugs. . . . . .

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 08:21:07 pm »

I don't understand your question?

royhendo

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 09:51:42 pm »
My Dad suffered from Alzheimers and progressive onset Dementia and it's a hell of a struggle for the sufferer and lest we forget the person who's most responsible for their care. My Mum is herself elderly and found herself in situations you wouldn't wish on anyone on quite a regular basis, you know?

Anyway, for an insight, I'd recommend keeping an eye out for the Terry Pratchett doccos on BBC4 cos they'll be shown again no doubt.

I can empathise with the sadness of realising in your moments of clarity that you're losing your mental faculties - luckily my Dad was never one to take himself too seriously, and he laughed at himself as much as feeling sorry for himself, if not more. But it's hard. There's a moment in that Terry Pratchett documentary when he's giving a public reading from his new book, and he becomes unable to read the text in front of his eyes, announcing to the thousand odd people in front of him that he can't make out the words for 'the shadows'. Very sad, you know?

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 09:59:40 pm »
I can rem reading some doctor in some medical publication that one of the 'benefits' of smoking was that it prevented dementia/alzheimers.  He basically recommended that anyone who's never smoked should start when they're 60, cos fags take at least 25 yrs to impact the body.

Dunno if there's any truth in his findings like.  No doubt there are people with this disease that were smokers. 

royhendo

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 10:06:17 pm »
It's funny TSC, cos they say the aluminium content in tea is a big contributor... and my old boy (and all of our family really) are total tea addicts.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 10:11:44 pm »
It's funny TSC, cos they say the aluminium content in tea is a big contributor... and my old boy (and all of our family really) are total tea addicts.

Must confess I don't know much about it, simply because none of my family from any generation have ever suffered it to my knowledge.  Had a great uncle who always seemed to talk to himself and had similar symptoms at times but he was shell shocked from the war.  Of course 3 generations ago it was put down to 'losing your marbles' or something.

But had a mate who's gran took it overnight, and loads of times the whole family had to search for her as she'd simply wonder off.  One time the police found her walking on the hard shoulder of a motorway at 11pm at night.

Must be awful if it's your mum or dad or something.

royhendo

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2009, 10:25:41 pm »
Yeah, and if you think about it their long-time companions are usually elderly too, not physically able to do heavy lifting, not generally best placed to deal with crisis situations every few days, and so on and so on.

The NHS gets a lot of clog but the help they gave us over several years was phenomenal.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2009, 11:41:25 pm »

Well, if you're losing your mental faculties you don't necessarily retain the wherewithal to tell that you are.

Having watched my nan mentally crippled by many small strokes and dementia, I think it was worse for the family than for her in a way, because she so rarely noticed herself.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
Anyone who hasn't had first hand experience of this horrible disease should try to watch one of these films - The Notebook or Away From Her. Doesn't matter how tough you are, they'll break your fucking heart.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline NYkopite

• Kopite
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 01:46:37 am »

There was a theory a few years back that aluminium might cause AD, in particular from aluminium pans. No-one as far as I know ever showed a strong link, but the studies are very hard to do.