Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 300871 times)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #920 on: July 11, 2017, 10:38:38 pm »
Me 'eads in bits
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #921 on: July 12, 2017, 02:58:53 pm »
Me 'eads in bits

Or me ' eads snotted .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #922 on: July 14, 2017, 10:22:58 am »
Finger pie.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #923 on: July 14, 2017, 12:10:39 pm »
Finger pie.

For a fish and...

Like the way Lennon sneaked it into an otherwise squeaky clean song...
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #924 on: July 15, 2017, 07:21:23 am »
Me 'eads in bits
I said to one of my kids the other day "me ed`s burnt out love", said it without thinking.

She came back with "Are you ok, how did you burn your head Dad"?!

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #925 on: July 17, 2017, 08:34:11 pm »
Been a long time since i heard anyone use webs..and webbed.

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #926 on: July 17, 2017, 09:09:47 pm »
Webbed as in... "I webbed him in the goolies!" ?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #927 on: July 18, 2017, 07:49:07 am »
Webbed as in... "I webbed him in the goolies!" ?

Aye a fine example,it could have been used for giving or taking a beating-even heard it used for being pissed too.
Webs was feet or footwear..dunno if there were variations like takey has tho.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #928 on: July 18, 2017, 01:11:57 pm »

Was queuing for a ride in Blackpool with my son a few years back, this gang of wool lads and girls, all early 20's, barged past everyone, pushed some young girls out the way. I hate shit like that, so I went over to them and gave them a mouthful, squared up to the biggest one, all I heard in the background was my 12 year old lad shouting "Web him, Dad!". Hadn't heard "web" used like that for donkeys. Was laughing my head off.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #929 on: July 18, 2017, 03:46:24 pm »
Was queuing for a ride in Blackpool with my son a few years back, this gang of wool lads and girls, all early 20's, barged past everyone, pushed some young girls out the way. I hate shit like that, so I went over to them and gave them a mouthful, squared up to the biggest one, all I heard in the background was my 12 year old lad shouting "Web him, Dad!". Hadn't heard "web" used like that for donkeys. Was laughing my head off.

;D
Did he get webbed?

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #930 on: July 18, 2017, 04:05:56 pm »
;D
Did he get webbed?

No, luckily it didn't come to that, a couple of other people spoke up and they buggered off. Can't stand pricks like that, they need telling.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #931 on: July 18, 2017, 04:35:51 pm »
Yeah I've got a mate who still uses 'webbed' all the time.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #932 on: July 18, 2017, 05:13:21 pm »
Yeah I've got a mate who still uses 'webbed' all the time.
Is his name Peter Parker?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #933 on: August 7, 2017, 08:45:26 pm »
Was 'yellow number plate' just a Liverpool thing?
I can remember when the number plates changed from white on the back of the car to yellow.
It was quite rare to see one at first, and when you did you could shout "Yellow number plate!" and punch your mate on the arm  :D

Got reminded of it today when my daughter shouted "Cheese on wheels!" as a yellow car passed us, and then thumped me in the arm!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #934 on: August 8, 2017, 09:19:02 pm »
Me nose was runnin like a glassblower's arse

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #935 on: August 9, 2017, 10:49:56 am »
He wants fuckin with the blunt end of the ragman's bugle.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #936 on: August 19, 2017, 10:44:47 am »
It's funny how language changes.  How certain words or phrases change meaning over time, or when used by different people.

Who remembers the time when you use to get 'mugged' by your nan?

Of course, in those days 'mugged' usually meant ya nan shoving a two bob, or a 'tanner' in ya hand.   :)

God, In those days, two bob was enormous.  It used to fill the palm of your hand.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #937 on: August 21, 2017, 07:36:11 am »
Aye Richie i mugged me Ma many times. :D

Something i will tell the grandkids one day just to see their reaction.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #938 on: August 21, 2017, 12:40:36 pm »
It's funny how language changes.  How certain words or phrases change meaning over time, or when used by different people.

Who remembers the time when you use to get 'mugged' by your nan?

Of course, in those days 'mugged' usually meant ya nan shoving a two bob, or a 'tanner' in ya hand.   :)

God, In those days, two bob was enormous.  It used to fill the palm of your hand.

And half a crown was even bigger.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #939 on: September 11, 2017, 08:48:45 am »
Just spent a really pleasant half hour with a silly grin on me gob reading through all the memories.

For personal reasons, which I'll now relate, my own fave which I'm sure is pure scouse is 'messages' or 'go on a message' - as in lazyarse female neighbour with drooping fag poking her head out of the front door to ask us young scallies sat facing her on the kerb across the street "do us a favour lads, will yer go on some messages for us"

No idea how it came into such everyday use as it makes no fucking sense at all but back in the day everyone used it. Or at least everyone from around here - which excludes my poor missus who one day was confronted full on by this ridiculous scouse term

My missus is from South Wales so as a recently arrived 22 year old she was a total innocent abroad in respect of bona fide scouse lingo. When we were first married we lived in 2 up 2 down in Willmer Road in Anfield. Next door lived elderly widow Mrs Gibson who immediately we moved in became Antie Gibby. First day there, a beautiful sunny summers morning. There's a knock at our front door. Mag carrying our Chris answers the door. It's auntie Gibby. Smiling, complete with tightly wrapped headscarf, warm winters coat and shopping bag.

"D'yer need any messages luv?"

Mag looks at her. Completely bemused, at a complete loss, thinking 'what the fuck!!' Is this a fucking spy ring or what? [Actually "or wha!" at the end of every question/statement is deffo pure scouse.

"Er... mmm...no thanks Mrs Gibson" replies Mag after decomposing herself [dead polite is our Mag - brought up dead proper like :)]

"You sure luv? Cos I've got loads to get meself yer know" Aunty Gibby at this point is bemused as fuck herself as she can't comprehend how a young woman cradling a 6 month old baby can possibly refuse the kind offer of a next door neighbour to go to the shops for her.

"Er...yeah...it's ...er...okay. Thanks very much though"

Mag retreats back inside to the safety of home territory, breathes a sigh of relief and spends the rest of the day - until I get home to put her out of her mystery and laugh me bollocks off - puzzling betweeen nappy changes as to the extent of the Willmer Road spy ring

;D

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:34:36 am by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #940 on: September 11, 2017, 10:55:05 am »
Nice one Timbo..love reading little stories like that.  ;D

Me ma would have us heading down the baggy every week( those twin tubs were fucking crap)..the Liver Laundrette to those from south wales.  :D
You had to figure out a route so you wernt spotted by your mates too..hard to disguise a vivid blue thick plazzy bag eh.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #941 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:16 pm »
The bit bin.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #942 on: September 11, 2017, 11:35:58 pm »
Nice one Timbo..love reading little stories like that.  ;D

Me ma would have us heading down the baggy every week( those twin tubs were fucking crap)..the Liver Laundrette to those from south wales.  :D
You had to figure out a route so you wernt spotted by your mates too..hard to disguise a vivid blue thick plazzy bag eh.

Made up [is that yet another '60's scouse term that's crept into more widespread usage this past decade or so?] that you enjoyed it M

laughed out loud at the baggy bit 'cos I used to work in the Diamond Laundry in Litherland which was like a massive big bagwash

;D

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #943 on: September 12, 2017, 07:52:16 am »
Made up [is that yet another '60's scouse term that's crept into more widespread usage this past decade or so?] that you enjoyed it M

laughed out loud at the baggy bit 'cos I used to work in the Diamond Laundry in Litherland which was like a massive big bagwash

;D

Aye i didn't mind too much in the winter as you knew it was always proper warm in the laundrette.
You'd try and have a look to see if any of your mates were around but the net curtain would be stuck to the ice on the inside of the window.
Get the wash & the spin sorted & bang it all in the drier where you would sit with your back to the warm drier door spinning away half falling asleep.
A couple of bags all sorted for less than ten bob..still use ten bob now..the kids still give me a daft look when i do.

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #944 on: September 12, 2017, 10:12:32 am »
Just spent a really pleasant half hour with a silly grin on me gob reading through all the memories.

For personal reasons, which I'll now relate, my own fave which I'm sure is pure scouse is 'messages' or 'go on a message' - as in lazyarse female neighbour with drooping fag poking her head out of the front door to ask us young scallies sat facing her on the kerb across the street "do us a favour lads, will yer go on some messages for us"

No idea how it came into such everyday use as it makes no fucking sense at all but back in the day everyone used it. Or at least everyone from around here - which excludes my poor missus who one day was confronted full on by this ridiculous scouse term

My missus is from South Wales so as a recently arrived 22 year old she was a total innocent abroad in respect of bona fide scouse lingo. When we were first married we lived in 2 up 2 down in Willmer Road in Anfield. Next door lived elderly widow Mrs Gibson who immediately we moved in became Antie Gibby. First day there, a beautiful sunny summers morning. There's a knock at our front door. Mag carrying our Chris answers the door. It's auntie Gibby. Smiling, complete with tightly wrapped headscarf, warm winters coat and shopping bag.

Mag looks at her. Completely bemused, at a complete loss, thinking 'what the fuck!!' Is this a fucking spy ring or what? [Actually "or wha!" at the end of every question/statement is deffo pure scouse.

"Er... mmm...no thanks Mrs Gibson" replies Mag after decomposing herself [dead polite is our Mag - brought up dead proper like :)]

"You sure luv? Cos I've got loads to get meself yer know" Aunty Gibby at this point is bemused as fuck herself as she can't comprehend how a young woman cradling a 6 month old baby can possibly refuse the kind offer of a next door neighbour to go to the shops for her.

Mag retreats back inside to the safety of home territory, breathes a sigh of relief and spends the rest of the day - until I get home to put her out of her mystery and laugh me bollocks off - puzzling betweeen nappy changes as to the extent of the Willmer Road spy ring

;D

Sound that.

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #945 on: September 12, 2017, 11:31:59 am »
Not lingo but with talk of laundrettes, I remember when me granddad bought me nanna a washing machine and she felt like she'd won the pools. She'd tell everyone - every conversation for a good few months would start with talk of this fucking washing machine. Dirty great oblong thing it was, open at the top, fucking lethal it was too. She'd always have the back door open for some reason when she did the washing? I think if I remember rightly it had a pipe going out to drain the water? I'd always try and peek over the side to look in and get third degree burns off the sploshing water and I don't know how many times I nearly lost me fucking arm in the spin tub bit. Always used to twat me on the head with her dolly pegs the narky arl cow!

And now thinking of her, I've just remembered something she always used to call me - a filthy arap? "get arra there ya filthy arap!" Never had a clue what it meant but she said it that often to me I almost treated it as my name. I have a theory of what she may have meant though I'll not say and instead ask if anyone else heard that said?
And in short, I was afraid

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #946 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:17 pm »
Sure it wasn't Arab? It's what sprung to mind and possibly what you don't wanna say :-X

soz if er, that's going too far :) just what popped into my head

• Anny Roader
« Reply #947 on: September 12, 2017, 03:58:38 pm »
Sure it wasn't Arab? It's what sprung to mind and possibly what you don't wanna say :-X

No worries mate, but that's why I didn't explain further, I wanted to see if it was "arap", if other people had heard that? But yes you got the gist of what I was saying. Seems me nanna was an arl racist who couldn't pronounce Arab by the looks of it!  :o

Still doesn't explain why she kept calling me that though?

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #948 on: September 12, 2017, 07:15:19 pm »

My Ma used to call me that all the time.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #949 on: September 12, 2017, 07:32:30 pm »
Arap is from Turkish.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

• Anny Roader
« Reply #950 on: September 12, 2017, 08:11:44 pm »
Arap is from Turkish.

Well I never.

I doubt she would have known that though, I'm more inclined to believe she was just a bit of an arl cow sometimes.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #951 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:43 pm »
I doubt she would have known that though...

Possibly not, but it was perhaps just a loan word employed by some older relative who had been in the Military or a Sailor during the days of the Empire, such professions inventing and employing many slang words and euphemisms.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #952 on: September 13, 2017, 08:34:35 am »

;D

Cracking tale timbo and funnily enough as a kid until 18 I lived on the corner of clapham and wilmer road and was one of the young "scallies " who would run messages for neighbours without a thought . The best part of going for the messages was when they'd say " keep the change for going " . Sent my lad around the shops for something the other week and said that to him , it's only ten pence he said ...fortune in my day .

My mate used to say how his mum would shout out loudly  down the street to her son " Kev go and get me four ounces  of boiled ham " when he'd get there she would whisper just get me two ounces love .

Offline only6times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #953 on: October 5, 2017, 02:32:11 pm »
Clacktailing.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #954 on: October 5, 2017, 04:52:59 pm »
Angonamo... The famous scouse red Indian  :D

Offline soft lad

• Main Stander
  • I think therefore i am.I'm pink therefore i'm spam
« Reply #955 on: October 6, 2017, 01:46:36 pm »
Clacktailing.

when we were kids if someone snitched on you(dobbed you in),we had a rhyme

Clacktail tit,
your nose shall be split,
and all the little birdies.
will have a little bit.
"He says i'm a minor, but i've told him I work on a sewage farm!"

Offline Rysoph76

• 43yo GCSE student. Hello, Hoodie Hater!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dangerous lurker
« Reply #956 on: October 6, 2017, 03:04:18 pm »
yeah 'messages' I remember that. My aunty always used to say she was going the townie (Kirkby) to get her messages. I don't know if these are specific to scouse as they are not slang words as such but in my house my aunty always used the following to describe people:

Footballer or singer with long hair - 'Shirley Temple'
Any footballer who looked injured or was moaning - 'Girlie Higgins'
Anyone who walked slowly - 'Creeping Jesus'
Anyone who looked miserable - 'Hail smiling morn' as used in 'look at her, there she goes, hail smiling morn, the miserable cow'

The other one that may have been mentioned already is when you were having to wait for something or someone one person would say 'we will be here til dick docks' and the other one would say 'and he hasn't got a ship yet'
Stay young and invincible. Come what may we're unstoppable.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #957 on: October 6, 2017, 04:56:42 pm »

Anyone who walked slowly - 'Creeping Jesus'

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one.

There was a lad I knew and we all referred to him by that name back around 1970.

Not too sure if it was exclusively scouse though, it may well have been more widespread.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #958 on: October 6, 2017, 06:00:38 pm »
Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one.

There was a lad I knew and we all referred to him by that name back around 1970.

Not too sure if it was exclusively scouse though, it may well have been more widespread.

Yep wider than Libpool - even used in Mancland believe it or not!!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
« Reply #959 on: October 11, 2017, 03:59:45 pm »
Angonamo... The famous scouse red Indian  :D

Ha ha

Cracker that - was used all the time - usually when someone was bent double,  'puffed out' trying to escape another gang - but never associated it with Tonto and Kemo Sabe!

;D ;D

In the same vein

'angaboutaminit

On an entirely different tack

Was that you just 'gollied'?

Haven't heard that in donkeys years