Author Topic: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...  (Read 850177 times)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Impact of COVID 19 on Sport...
« Reply #13040 on: June 1, 2020, 02:47:37 pm »
Three Charlton players including Lyle Taylor unwilling to continue season

Striker fears injury could threaten ‘life-changing move’
Lee Bowyer says Chris Solly and David Davis will also not play

Lee Bowyer has revealed Charlton’s talisman Lyle Taylor is one of three players who have said they will not play when the Championship resumes.

The season is due to restart on 20 June but the club’s top goalscorer, who is out of contract at the end of the month, has informed Bowyer he does not wish to play for fear an injury could threaten his chances of a “life-changing move”.

Bowyer compared Taylor’s influence at the relegation-threatened club to Troy Deeney’s at Watford and expressed disappointment. “Lyle is a big player for us, a bit like Deeney at Watford,” the Charlton manager told TalkSport.

“When he plays, we win games and Lyle has said he is not going to play because of the risk of injury. Chris Solly said the same. And [David] Davis, who is on loan from Birmingham, said he does not want to come back and play. We are three players down but it’s just another hurdle. We’ve got another 22, 23 players that do want to play and that’s the most important thing now.”

Bowyer added of Taylor: “He’s done great for us for two years and, in my eyes, you finish what you have started. Everyone has got their own decisions to make – I cannot force them. What disappoints me the most, and I’ve spoken to Lyle about it, [is that] he wants to play but he is so worried about getting injured he is saying: ‘I won’t be the same player for you.’

“It’s difficult because he’s so big [a player] for us. He’s going to get a life-changing move. If it wasn’t for Lyle, we wouldn’t even be in this division. He has chosen now not to come back and play until the end.”

Taylor has scored 11 goals in 22 league matches this season despite hamstring and thigh injuries. The 30-year-old, formerly of Falkirk and Bournemouth, joinedon a free from AFC Wimbledon two years ago and scored 25 goals to help the club to promotion.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/01/three-charlton-players-including-lyle-taylor-unwilling-to-continue-season-lee-bowyer-injury

Wow.

So they're refusing to go to work for reasons that are nothing to do with Covid? Surely Charlton can take some sort of legal action against them?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13041 on: June 1, 2020, 02:55:38 pm »
Do players generally do this? There’s hundreds of players with deals expiring each season, I can’t recal it being  a thing that they refuse to play in the last month of a season in case they get hurt.

dont think it happens that much, probably would be a bit more cautious with things like muscle strains (don’t think you can sign a precontract with another English club until your contract is near up whereas it’s 6 months elsewhere)so if he could sign that deal with (I’m guessing a relatively wealthy championship club with promotion ambitions so possible for another big raise) in January then it wouldn’t be as much of an issue

To be fair, he's a dickhead.
for those who don’t know this is becuase he’s a Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson fan

So they're refusing to go to work for reasons that are nothing to do with Covid? Surely Charlton can take some sort of legal action against them?
They can just not pay him but it’s clear his reasons are financial so he’d probably see that lose helping him guaranteeing him the bigger payday (by not playing he’d miss out on appearance and goal bonuses too)
« Last Edit: June 1, 2020, 02:57:24 pm by Lush is the best medicine... »

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #13042 on: June 1, 2020, 03:56:46 pm »
Anyone else watching the snooker? Not really a spot known for its passionate spectators and even that feels a bit weird with no one in the arena and no applause after a good shot or the finishing of a match, gonna feel 10 times more weird when the Premier League is back with no supporters.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13043 on: June 1, 2020, 03:57:30 pm »
Ban him for 2 years

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #13044 on: June 1, 2020, 04:08:52 pm »
Anyone else watching the snooker? Not really a spot known for its passionate spectators and even that feels a bit weird with no one in the arena and no applause after a good shot or the finishing of a match, gonna feel 10 times more weird when the Premier League is back with no supporters.

Think they're gonna have crowd noises playing during the broadcast though
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #13045 on: June 1, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »
Ban him for 2 years
I appreciate that snooker is a minority sport, but that seems a little harsh.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #13046 on: June 1, 2020, 04:21:01 pm »
I think the impact on the transfer window is going to be noticeable. Oliver Kahn was quoted as saying he doesn't think a lot of clubs will engage in transfers for massive fees this summer and many aren't even willing to negotiate transfers at the moment, because the situation is so fluid and clubs are more concerned about other matters. It will really hurt those clubs that not only rely on gate receipts, but also on selling players for massive fees every summer.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13047 on: June 1, 2020, 04:21:42 pm »
to be fair he’s 30 and it’s probably his last chance to make very good money in a contract so from that perspective I can understand why he’d not want to play (as he’s probably got a deal in the bag and doesn’t want to jeopardise it) as he’s been a lower league player his entire career so doesn’t have the kind of money a guy who’s been on premier league money the last few years, but I can also understand why bowyer is pissed off as he could well be the difference between them staying up or not

He’s under contract though. He’s putting a slight risk of injury above the whole club that pay his wages and he’s signed a contract with.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #13048 on: June 1, 2020, 05:12:47 pm »
Imagine if someone whom you had employed and were depending on to help your team progress then says to the whole world that they don't want work on your team anymore in case something happened (an event that could easily happen at any time in the day-to-day operation of that team, even something self-inflicted!) that jeopardised their prospects of working for someone else after they finish working with you......

HR would have a field day with that.  :wanker

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13049 on: June 1, 2020, 05:15:35 pm »
He’s under contract though. He’s putting a slight risk of injury above the whole club that pay his wages and he’s signed a contract with.
oh I agree he should play it out, if it was just to the end of the month and not further, but it seems like he’s got a deal lined up with rangers so it’ll be a big pay jump as well as european football (and potentially champions league proper at some point in the next two years) and players are getting more injuries right now I can see why he’s doing what he is even if I disagree with it, and in all honesty I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same in his position if I was 30 and likely not made enough to retire on

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13050 on: June 1, 2020, 05:30:40 pm »
I think the impact on the transfer window is going to be noticeable. Oliver Kahn was quoted as saying he doesn't think a lot of clubs will engage in transfers for massive fees this summer and many aren't even willing to negotiate transfers at the moment, because the situation is so fluid and clubs are more concerned about other matters. It will really hurt those clubs that not only rely on gate receipts, but also on selling players for massive fees every summer.

Yeah for sure it’ll have a huge impact. Can't say I’d be sorry to see transfer fees go down, and player contracts!

Kahn is likely having to say this now cos motor-mouth Uli Hoeness was spouting on about Sane again the other day, making sound like it was a matter of when not if he signed for Bayern  ;D

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #13051 on: June 1, 2020, 05:52:43 pm »
Why are the fa saying fans possible at the fa cup final 20000

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #13052 on: June 1, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »
They’ve got to line their pockets somehow.

Probably be all them Club Wembley dickheads, that don’t even watch half the games.
AHA!

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13053 on: June 1, 2020, 06:15:08 pm »
Why are the fa saying fans possible at the fa cup final 20000

5 of the 8 teams left are from the North/Midlands. Surely if 2 northern teams get to the final then it would make sense if you were insisting on fans to hold it up here somewhere to prevent uneccessary long travel?

But we know it's not about that. It's about not having an empty stadium game at Wembley.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #13054 on: June 1, 2020, 07:01:06 pm »
5 of the 8 teams left are from the North/Midlands. Surely if 2 northern teams get to the final then it would make sense if you were insisting on fans to hold it up here somewhere to prevent uneccessary long travel?

But we know it's not about that. It's about not having an empty stadium game at Wembley.

Why play it at all then? A league season needs to be finished one way or another but an FA Cup final without fans does seem pointless.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Online Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #13055 on: June 1, 2020, 07:17:00 pm »
Quite refreshing to read Jonathan Woodgates view of the re-start of the Championship, despite his teams’ precarious position, he’s all for it and very positive about the return.

QPR chairman, not so much.... article here:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52875186

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #13056 on: June 1, 2020, 07:24:19 pm »

We've already had an example of this with the Icardi transfer. The buyout clause was something like €70m, he has scored 20 in 31 for PSG, yet the transfer fee was €50m. Everyone knows PSG have the money too after the Neymar and Mbappe deals.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13057 on: June 1, 2020, 07:37:28 pm »
Why play it at all then? A league season needs to be finished one way or another but an FA Cup final without fans does seem pointless.

Its still a cup to be won, it is the FA's showpiece and it is an entry into Europe for a club. Still worth playing regardless.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13058 on: June 1, 2020, 07:42:28 pm »
Its still a cup to be won, it is the FA's showpiece and it is an entry into Europe for a club. Still worth playing regardless.

And worth watching.

If the season has played out as normal, it’s doubtful I would have had any interest in the FA Cup after we went out to Chelsea. Having now had no football for months, I’ll be watching every match that I can get away with watching at home without getting moaned at for ‘football being on again.’

The idea of a knockout tournament being played out relatively quickly from the quarter final stage seems pretty appealing currently, especially as all the remaining teams are PL sides.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13059 on: June 1, 2020, 07:57:26 pm »
And worth watching.

If the season has played out as normal, it’s doubtful I would have had any interest in the FA Cup after we went out to Chelsea. Having now had no football for months, I’ll be watching every match that I can get away with watching at home without getting moaned at for ‘football being on again.’

The idea of a knockout tournament being played out relatively quickly from the quarter final stage seems pretty appealing currently, especially as all the remaining teams are PL sides.

The wifes lot are still in it, they should make the semis as they have Norwich in the quarters, so if they make the final it'll be on in ours. Regardless of who is in it though, it will be on, like you, just for the footy and I'm lucky that she likes footy so will watch it.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13060 on: June 1, 2020, 08:09:28 pm »
There'll be more football on than is possible to watch without having to resort to the red mancs v Norwich  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13061 on: June 1, 2020, 08:36:12 pm »
There'll be more football on than is possible to watch without having to resort to the red mancs v Norwich  ;D

Not in our house there isn't :no

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #13062 on: June 1, 2020, 10:23:42 pm »
I think they will televise all the matches next season too.

Football and television/streaming services about to be changed forever.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #13063 on: June 1, 2020, 11:21:39 pm »
Not in our house there isn't :no

Oh, do you have a Manchester Untied or Norwich fan in the house, Rob???
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #13064 on: June 1, 2020, 11:33:05 pm »
to be fair he’s 30 and it’s probably his last chance to make very good money in a contract so from that perspective I can understand why he’d not want to play (as he’s probably got a deal in the bag and doesn’t want to jeopardise it) as he’s been a lower league player his entire career so doesn’t have the kind of money a guy who’s been on premier league money the last few years, but I can also understand why bowyer is pissed off as he could well be the difference between them staying up or not

The average weekly wage in the Championship is £11k a week (that's £570k per year), he'll be OK even if he is on 40% of that.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13065 on: June 1, 2020, 11:56:41 pm »
The average weekly wage in the Championship is £11k a week (that's £570k per year), he'll be OK even if he is on 40% of that.
hes 30 and won’t have made huge money, if you had a job lined up for several times the money you’d wouldn’t want to risk it

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13066 on: June 1, 2020, 11:57:44 pm »
Let's just say if I'm a decision maker at a Championship club I'm not falling over myself to give him a nice contract.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13067 on: June 2, 2020, 12:47:31 am »
Let's just say if I'm a decision maker at a Championship club I'm not falling over myself to give him a nice contract.
why? Plus the talk is its rangers who’s season is over

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13068 on: June 2, 2020, 12:49:17 am »
why? Plus the talk is its rangers who’s season is over

IF a player is willing to not play when they've a contract to make sure they get a nicer one, I'm not sure that's a player I want.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13069 on: June 2, 2020, 07:03:57 am »
Oh, do you have a Manchester Untied or Norwich fan in the house, Rob???

Hard to tell with the green and gold
« Last Edit: June 2, 2020, 07:16:14 am by rob1966 »

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #13070 on: June 2, 2020, 07:22:16 am »
hes 30 and won’t have made huge money, if you had a job lined up for several times the money you’d wouldn’t want to risk it

Players can sign pre-contract agreements with foreign clubs in January. Can you imagine being at a championship level club and your star player wanders over on 15th January and says “sorry boss, I’ve signed for Bayern and I don’t want to get injured before I go so I’m not playing any more”.

I know Tyler hasn’t signed for anyone yet but the principle is not dissimilar. Charlton have paid his wages and given him a platform to earn this possible lucrative move. He’s letting them down big time when they’re in a relegation scrap. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a reason for doing so but I think it’s pretty shocking to be honest. He’s free to enter into a pre-contract agreement with anyone now, so sign for whichever club wants you and play the last games.

As said above, if he’d have tried to pull the same trick with a few games left in the season back in April he’d have been slaughtered for it. Games after his contract expires at the end of June are one thing, but Charlton will have 2 or 3 games before then and he should play them or forefeit his wages.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #13071 on: June 2, 2020, 08:44:40 am »
It's basically what Coutinho did to us without saying it in as many words
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13072 on: June 2, 2020, 10:30:03 am »
Hard to tell with the green and gold

But is it official green or gold bought from an unofficial stall or unofficial green and gold bought from an official club shop?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13074 on: June 2, 2020, 11:10:29 am »
But is it official green or gold bought from an unofficial stall or unofficial green and gold bought from an official club shop?

:o

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13075 on: June 2, 2020, 11:26:01 am »
Players can sign pre-contract agreements with foreign clubs in January. Can you imagine being at a championship level club and your star player wanders over on 15th January and says “sorry boss, I’ve signed for Bayern and I don’t want to get injured before I go so I’m not playing any more”.

I know Tyler hasn’t signed for anyone yet but the principle is not dissimilar. Charlton have paid his wages and given him a platform to earn this possible lucrative move. He’s letting them down big time when they’re in a relegation scrap. I’m not saying he doesn’t have a reason for doing so but I think it’s pretty shocking to be honest. He’s free to enter into a pre-contract agreement with anyone now, so sign for whichever club wants you and play the last games.

As said above, if he’d have tried to pull the same trick with a few games left in the season back in April he’d have been slaughtered for it. Games after his contract expires at the end of June are one thing, but Charlton will have 2 or 3 games before then and he should play them or forefeit his wages.

oh he’s being a twat but even that bigger twat bowyer can see why he’s done what he’s done, as has another one of his players out of contract in a few weeks

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13076 on: June 2, 2020, 11:50:30 am »

If he wants to sit out 8-9 games for his current club, then he should have to sit the same number for his next club.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #13077 on: June 2, 2020, 12:05:01 pm »
:o

The argument that to be a true green and gold protester you really shouldn't be buying it from a Man U store. As plenty did.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13079 on: June 2, 2020, 12:30:17 pm »
'Kinell :lmao

Chelsea want nine subs on the bench

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-fc-premier-league-nine-substitutes-project-restart-a4457006.html?
to be fair if it’s 5 subs it’s not that mad, think Germany have had more than 7 subs so far? And it means we can give more of the kids gametime as well