Poll

Who Wins?

Max Powers
9 (60%)
Drinks Sangria
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: May 16, 2021, 04:17:56 pm

Author Topic: Keep it Cheap Draft FINAL  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
Keep it Cheap Draft FINAL
« on: May 15, 2021, 04:17:56 pm »

Max Powers

VS

Drinks Sangria

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Keep it Cheap Draft FINAL
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:59:47 pm »
DS has Lewandowski, who is obviously the best striker in the draft.

I think my midfield is better, more balanced and has more creativity. Especially the three behind the striker.

In defense we are about even I would say. I like my CB's better and even my FBs are better defensively. However Kimmich and Marcelo are better going forward.

Just like rest of the games very little to differentiate.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 05:03:00 pm by Max_powers »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 05:31:11 pm »
Max.  Just has more goal threat across his team.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 07:09:30 pm »
Maxwell going for 2 wins on the bounce?  :o

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 09:51:32 pm »
Max for me. Not a big fan of some of the combinations and positioning in Sangria's set up. If you want my two cents, both Varane and Pique as ball-playing centre backs are more suited to playing alongside a stopper, a hard-working and grittier (aka dirty git) type player. Pique was always at his best with Puyol, and Varane and Ramos have complimented each other perfectly for years now. That's not to say that either are a soft touch or that they couldn't form a strong partnership. But my preference is always to see one stopper and one ball carrier in a perfect defensive set-up.... Baresi + Costacurta, Beckenbauer + Schwarzenbeck, Scirea + Gentile etc. You get the message.

Midfield - I think Lucas is a bit out of his depth here. He was a good servant to the club, but he was prone to making mistakes and giving away free-kicks in dangerous positions. Something you don't want to be doing with Zola and Recoba on FK duty. He is also a bit surplus in that midfield IMO. As others have already said, your side could do with one more goal threat. A more attack-minded midfielder like Valeron or even Gary Mac (both unpicked) would have elevated that midfield or perhaps better still another winger to give that extra attacking dimension. You already have Simeone and Guardiola who are more than capable of breaking up the play and recycling possession, you don't need a third defensive minded player in there. That also brings me onto Guardiola. To get the best out of him he needs to be deployed as the deepest midfielder and deep-lying playmaker, this is where he can pull the strings with his passing and vision, not in central midfield where he'll have much less time on the ball and have to physically compete with Max's two bruisers.

I know these might seem like nit picks, but that's what it comes down to in these tight matches. I like to see a team set-up perfectly and tactically to bring the best out of everyone. Max's set-up is by no means perfect. Not too sure about Scholl off the right wing. But aside from that the rest of the side is set-up to play to it's strengths and I can easily picture as a real life working team. Sangria's team more feels like get the ball to Lewa at all costs and if that plan fails (as it could well do with someone as excellent as Desailly at the back) I'm not sure they have a good enough plan B.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:53:29 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 11:18:02 pm »
Let me know if it's all square, I'll vote if need be.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 11:29:04 pm »
Maxwell going for 2 wins on the bounce?  :o
'

Isnt over yet.

Davids however is the lucky charm. Had never picked him until the last draft.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 11:34:37 pm »
So you could say he's becoming your Ruud Gullit?  ;D

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 11:38:28 pm »
So you could say he's becoming your Ruud Gullit?  ;D

Sure. If he is available in a draft. I am taking him round 1.  :)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 04:09:38 pm »
Just like Canadian Moose's, you don't see one for ages and then 2 come along at once. Well done Maxwell.  :o

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 04:49:40 pm »
Well done Max. Thought this one was closer than the score suggested but no great complaints from me.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2021, 10:37:54 pm »
Max and Tubby had the best teams, for me. A worthy winner.

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:33 am »
Congrats Max!
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 02:14:59 pm »
Thanks all. It was a good draft and some very evenly matched teams. Special thanks to our only resident Nabil El Zhar fan for running it. 

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 02:16:44 pm »
Fuckin' hell you're going for 3 in a row. I think only one person in Draft history did it.  Mikey or Saint Kopite.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2021, 05:58:40 pm »
Fuckin' hell you're going for 3 in a row. I think only one person in Draft history did it.  Mikey or Saint Kopite.

Mikey got 2 wins and then lost the 3rd final. Saint possibly? I'll have to go back and check.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2021, 06:03:38 pm »
I have 2 wins now and made the final on the dutch draft too, losing to Sarge only on the penalty lottery.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2021, 06:08:16 pm »
Just to say thanks to Elzar for running this one even without taking part   :wave

It was a great idea. Although we were all so good at drafting that the sides weren't quite as shit as I have a feeling you were going for? I guess the move down to 8 drafters changed things considerably. Imagine halving the talent in each side. Maybe this draft deserves a rerun at some point with either a lower transfer value or a tighter year cut off.

My leftover draft list is basically all the players I wish we were forced to pick -

FBs - Amedeo Carboni Capdevilla Le Saux Ian Harte Sylvinho Sorin Pessotto Srna Rigobert Song Salgado Reuter Petrescu Torricelli Birindelli Lauren 
CB - Couto Gamarra Radebe Des Walker Kuffour Worns Repka Kovac Melberg 
MIDs - Senna Gary McAllister  Jugovic Sunday Oliseh Gary Speed Frings Ambrosini Tugay Dino Baggio 
AMs/WFs - Valeron Djalminha Mostovoi Häßler Micoud Benayoun Eyal Berkovic Vicente Hadji Fran Berger Basler Claudio Caniggia Karpin Ortega Sebastian Deisler Finidi George 
STs - Viduka Alen Boksic Di Canio Sheringham Andy Cole Ravanelli Les Ferdinand Kanu Koller Chapuisat Kevin Phillips Asprilla Juan Pablo Ángel Pahars Bobic Dugarry Hakan Şükür

Offline Elzar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2021, 07:15:06 am »
Just to say thanks to Elzar for running this one even without taking part   :wave

It was a great idea. Although we were all so good at drafting that the sides weren't quite as shit as I have a feeling you were going for? I guess the move down to 8 drafters changed things considerably. Imagine halving the talent in each side. Maybe this draft deserves a rerun at some point with either a lower transfer value or a tighter year cut off.

My leftover draft list is basically all the players I wish we were forced to pick -

FBs - Amedeo Carboni Capdevilla Le Saux Ian Harte Sylvinho Sorin Pessotto Srna Rigobert Song Salgado Reuter Petrescu Torricelli Birindelli Lauren 
CB - Couto Gamarra Radebe Des Walker Kuffour Worns Repka Kovac Melberg 
MIDs - Senna Gary McAllister  Jugovic Sunday Oliseh Gary Speed Frings Ambrosini Tugay Dino Baggio 
AMs/WFs - Valeron Djalminha Mostovoi Häßler Micoud Benayoun Eyal Berkovic Vicente Hadji Fran Berger Basler Claudio Caniggia Karpin Ortega Sebastian Deisler Finidi George 
STs - Viduka Alen Boksic Di Canio Sheringham Andy Cole Ravanelli Les Ferdinand Kanu Koller Chapuisat Kevin Phillips Asprilla Juan Pablo Ángel Pahars Bobic Dugarry Hakan Şükür

It was the lack of people taking part that made the teams a little better than I imagined. The teams You all had mixed with the above pool was what I was wanting.

I’ll get my shit teams when I roll out the ‘not top division’ Draft.  :wanker