Author Topic: Reynolds Park Woolton  (Read 3571 times)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
Reynolds Park Woolton
« on: April 26, 2020, 12:23:10 am »
Reynolds Park. What a gem she is. Was sitting in the garden bit and expected Blackadder to go dancing through.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
Re: Reynolds Park Woolton
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:04:58 am »
Nearest park to me, it used to have tennis courts when I was a lad but they were removed years ago. Should have a look at the old quarry in there, the walled garden also has Shakespeare on in the summer.

Woolton is spoilt for great parks Calderstones, Allerton Towers, Woolton Woods/Camp Hill, Black Woods (closed now since poor fella was killed by falling tree), Simpson Ground for footy, Allerton Golf Course and Clarks gardens which is shit now but used to be brilliant, it had an aviary, loads of animals (including a monkey). Happy days when I was growing up.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »
Used to like walking the dog there when I lived those ways. Always had a nice atmosphere there.
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 03:16:41 am »
Nice one.

I spoke to me Dah about it a few days ago. He reckons he done a bit of his courting in there back in his day. What a great park though and I can honestly say I'd never even heard of it until last week an ' here's me thinking I know everything. It should've it's own offy though as going up and down that hill to the village fucks ya. I seen a Parakeet there too.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 03:30:28 am »
Down Woolton Hill Road towards Gateacre Village and not down Church Road towards Woolton Village. Me best mate was going... what took you so long ?

;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 09:23:00 pm »
Wow Reynolds Park getting a mention. Went to SFX and used to sag lessons in Reynolds, luv the place.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:19:50 pm »
I spent my childhood wandering around Clarke Gardens, Caldies, Allerton Towers and Camp Hill and had my first half of Mild in the Derby Arms,mWoolton but have never heard of Reynolds Park!

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2021, 10:47:00 pm »
I spent my childhood wandering around Clarke Gardens, Caldies, Allerton Towers and Camp Hill and had my first half of Mild in the Derby Arms,mWoolton but have never heard of Reynolds Park!

Me ma, Dora, might have served you mate  :hally  ;D

I spent most childhood summer holidays in Allerton Towers when my mum worked in the Derby.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 02:23:46 pm »
Me ma, Dora, might have served you mate  :hally  ;D

I spent most childhood summer holidays in Allerton Towers when my mum worked in the Derby.

Well we couldn't get in the Allerton because all our neighbours went there, the pubs in Garston were infested with Teds so Woolton was fair enough away to avoid recognition and with limited chance of getting a smack 'cos we were wearing Ben Sherman.

After gaining a bit of confidence at the Derby a few months later we went to the Cobden Vaults. And shortly after bus into town to Harrington Street.

Simple life.

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 07:54:43 pm »
Was there a function room in that park , remember going to my mates mum and dads silver wedding anniversary nearly 40 years ago and Billy Liddel was there dancing his legs off as he was there good friend through being a justice of the peace , pretty sure it was in Reynolds park

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 09:39:58 pm »
Was there a function room in that park , remember going to my mates mum and dads silver wedding anniversary nearly 40 years ago and Billy Liddel was there dancing his legs off as he was there good friend through being a justice of the peace , pretty sure it was in Reynolds park

I was just about to ask exactly the same question mate. I'm sure there was, but I think I only went there once, for a wedding do. As far as I remember, the function room was just known as Reynolds Park too.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2021, 09:48:59 pm »
I was just about to ask exactly the same question mate. I'm sure there was, but I think I only went there once, for a wedding do. As far as I remember, the function room was just known as Reynolds Park too.

If Reynolds Park is at the top of Camp Hill there is a function suite there which, in the 80s, was a Masonic Hall.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2021, 10:23:16 pm »
Think it burnt down in the 80s and the flats were built on the space.

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2021, 11:43:48 pm »
Only just seen this thread . What memories Reynolds Park!!! My sister had her wedding reception there back in 1971. Played three-and-in there through the 70s. Thanks for the memories Kesey

Offline GoldenGloves25

• Kopite
  • You are a reptile, Carmichael!!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 08:55:39 pm »
Played loadsa footy there as a kid. Has special grass there, like the grass in Calderstones. Soft. Supple. Like carpet.
A slave to rhythm and the fickle nature of charm.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2021, 12:50:50 pm »
Played loadsa footy there as a kid. Has special grass there, like the grass in Calderstones. Soft. Supple. Like carpet.

I used to walk a mile and a half to Caldies just to play on that surface with a size 5 reddish brown plastic ball, the name of which escapes me. We'd walk past the lake to the small moat surrounding the house and when we'd hacked bits of each other playing three and in would jump across the moat.

Any of that would kill me now.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #16 on: April 5, 2021, 08:33:39 pm »
I used to walk a mile and a half to Caldies just to play on that surface with a size 5 reddish brown plastic ball, the name of which escapes me.

Sounds like a 'Wembley Trophy' ball. Next best thing outside a Casey, they came in very impressive box, bit pricey, but well worth it. They did a few white versions with the same black markings, that looked classy too!
« Last Edit: April 5, 2021, 08:40:46 pm by mikeb58 »
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 5, 2021, 08:38:08 pm »
Sounds like a 'Wembley Trophy' ball. Next best thing outside a Casey, they came in very impressive box, bit pricey, but well worth it. They did a few white versions with the same black markings, that looked classy too!

Yes the Wembley Trophy. I didn't own one until I started work then treated myself to one and a casey.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #18 on: April 5, 2021, 08:42:53 pm »
Yes the Wembley Trophy. I didn't own one until I started work then treated myself to one and a casey.

They where a class above your average 'fly away' footballs, but packed a punch if you got hit by one.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 5, 2021, 08:45:52 pm »
They where a class above your average 'fly away' footballs, but packed a punch if you got hit by one.

Fly aways. The close relative to a beach ball. They always seemed to be slightly ovoid and if they hit a hedge stood a 50/50 chance of developing a slow puncture.

Offline mikeb58

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #20 on: April 5, 2021, 08:54:10 pm »
Fly aways. The close relative to a beach ball. They always seemed to be slightly ovoid and if they hit a hedge stood a 50/50 chance of developing a slow puncture.

Haha..trying to get a game finished before it went totally flat! The real shite ones where called a 'penny floater' just for kids really, they cost a penny and 'floater' speaks for itself!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2021, 12:21:10 pm »
Finally made it to Reynolds Park yesterday.

Parked at Clarke Gardens and walked through Woolton. You wouldn't think you were three miles away from a major city centre.

What a hidden gem Reynolds Park is. It wasn't the warmest of days yesterday so I'm looking forward to repeating the journey on a sunny day and relaxing in the walled garden.

I suppose I wasn't aware of Reynolds Park as growing up we were spoilt for choice - Sefton, Caldies, Otterspool, Clarke Gardens - even Camp Hill.