Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 640264 times)

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
There's no selectors anymore, Silverwood picks the squad. Foakes would have played if he hadn't pulled his hamstring.

Is Foakes the England A guy or was Bracey touring/in the A squad as wicketkeeper/batsman before?

• Legacy Fan
Did Ed Smith get the boot or did he step down? Strange setup now.

How is one man able to go through all the background research, data etc etc for all the players in county cricket?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
There's no selectors anymore, Silverwood picks the squad. Foakes would have played if he hadn't pulled his hamstring.

If he’s with the squad pretty much full time given the amount of cricket we play, how’s he best placed to know who to choose from county cricket when they need to call on someone?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Did Ed Smith get the boot or did he step down? Strange setup now.

He got the boot. I wouldn't say its strange at all. They have a series of scouts who watch the county matches and give reports to Chris Silverwood who picks his squad. That's how it should be in my opinion.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Sure he has scouts well he must do and I believe James Taylor still has a role.

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
wagner doing a bit of groundsman work now. multi-talented.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
wagner doing a bit of groundsman work now. multi-talented.

They're just a likeable top quality team and I'm not sure how I feel about that :D

Online voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
They're just a likeable top quality team and I'm not sure how I feel about that :D

make the most of it. india might play jadeja and then in the winter it'll be warner.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Sure he has scouts well he must do and I believe James Taylor still has a role.

Taylor is head scout

https://www.ecb.co.uk/england/men/news/2112380/ecb-confirms-restructure-to-selection-of-england-mens-senior-teams

make the most of it. india might play jadeja and then in the winter it'll be warner.

Oh I am. Really enjoyed watching them over these two tests, really hope they win the final.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
He got the boot. I wouldn't say its strange at all. They have a series of scouts who watch the county matches and give reports to Chris Silverwood who picks his squad. That's how it should be in my opinion.
I guess I meant strange as in non-traditional.  It’s unusual to have the chairman of selectors being the head coach too, even if it could end up being successful. Unless I’ve misunderstood the new setup. I have had a couple of glasses of Chenin blanc.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I guess I meant strange as in non-traditional.  It’s unusual to have the chairman of selectors being the head coach too, even if it could end up being successful. Unless I’ve misunderstood the new setup. I have had a couple of glasses of Chenin blanc.

You have. He's not the chairman of selectors he's the sole selector, like the coach in pretty much every sport. Its always been weird that the coach hasn't had the final say in who he wants to work with for a particular match.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
Oh dear.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
really hope they win the final.

everyone with sense and taste does.

and it's another wicket. root can not talk to himself as well now.

effectively we're -9 for 7

• Legacy Fan
Cripes. You guys are making me feel far too confident about next week here

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
You have. He's not the chairman of selectors he's the sole selector, like the coach in pretty much every sport. Its always been weird that the coach hasn't had the final say in who he wants to work with for a particular match.
Ah ok. Still unusual in cricket, then - which was my point.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Root gone for 11. Really struggled.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
Losing in 3 days having won the toss on this surface is some achievement. No wonder they didn't take the chase on last week
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Cripes. You guys are making me feel far too confident about next week here

I believe you’re scheduled to play a competent side next week.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
Basically we have robbed all the fans with this selection.

Robinson should be back for India series as if he isn’t then I can see him being treated like Hales lack of trust etc you know the usual PR bull that gets trotted out.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The Hales stuff isn't PR bullshit though, the players he'd be playing with felt betrayed by his actions. Its well documented how they felt.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
The Hales stuff isn't PR bullshit though, the players he'd be playing with felt betrayed by his actions. Its well documented how they felt.

It is he took a few drugs so what so did Botham.

Also Stokes was on film knocking someone out and mocking Harvey Price but I guess when you are in the clique it don’t matter.

Vaughan said ECB were right when it was Robinson but soon as the names Buttler Morgan Anderson got mentioned he quickly said it was a witch-hunt.

This has been happening for a while people like KP get axed whilst Swann/Bresnan/Prior can pretty much bully someone openly again those 3 were all in the gang.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
the drug taking wasn't apparently the issue with hales, it was the fibs.

and nobody should take much that vaughan says very seriously.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
the drug taking wasn't apparently the issue with hales, it was the fibs.

and nobody should take much that vaughan says very seriously.

Exactly. It was the fact that they were a close knit group who felt that they could confide in each other when things were going tough and they were struggling. Hales kept everything hidden from him and turned to drugs breaking their trust to the extent that they felt him being around the squad would have a negative influence. Hales was also involved in the Stokes thing as well.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Is it just me or do New Zealand just do all the basics really well really consistently?

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
Some of the English dismissals are absolutely ludicrously bad.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
I think this innings has finally snapped Nas

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
I think this innings has finally snapped Nas

He's absolutely furious isn't he? Rightly so as well.

Is it just me or do New Zealand just do all the basics really well really consistently?

They do, they're an excellent side

• Legacy Fan

We back our cricket. The current culture is miles away from the Stephen Fleming crew smoking spliffs in South Africa.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

They do but this batting had been obscenely bad. They are decent bowlers but it’s hardly Ambrose and Walsh or Wasim and Waqar yet we look worse that at any time when we faced them. This is a real low for the Test team I think.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
They do but this batting had been obscenely bad. They are decent bowlers but it’s hardly Ambrose and Walsh or Wasim and Waqar yet we look worse that at any time when we faced them. This is a real low for the Test team I think.

Probably the chief reason why the 90s lot think they were underrated was because they faced ATG attacks series after series. Atherton, Stewart and the rest thought that they didn't do badly because they were facing off against Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqar, Warne, McGrath, Murali, and so on. As one article concluded, the 90s was a golden era for cricket. It just wasn't golden for England.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Donald and Pollock too.

• Legacy Fan
Danny Morrison

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Danny Morrison

We’re going through the world class bowlers first, save the batsmen til later.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
thought nass'(s?) moan seemed quite measured really.

these players the ones making the runs in county cricket so fuck knows who their replacements could be.

ian bell was in the ground today, not sure if there was any gear there in his size.

• Legacy Fan

He is so easily overlooked for the greats from that period, with his low stature, ordinary average and strike rate. But he was all heart our Danny. Heart and beans.

Online voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
also, on batsmen, it's fine bringing all these young players in but where the fuck are the generation before them?

my memory is shit but can anyone name anyone other than root that's come in and ended up being a long-term member of the team in the past, well, decade?

in the words of the klf, what the fuck is going on?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan

I still remember listening to that innings. Who was the batsman at the other end, and what is he better remembered for?
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

• Legacy Fan
I still remember listening to that innings. Who was the batsman at the other end, and what is he better remembered for?

Nathan Astle?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Was it Simon Doull who now commentates are is there some bigger reason why he’s now famous?

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
Nathan Astle?

The other batsman was indeed Nathan Astle, who is better remembered for his 222. The only time that a 100 run victory with plenty of time left could be called nail-biting.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011