Author Topic: The England Cricket Thread - 2024  (Read 639811 times)

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
For Australia take your best batsmen, best keeper, best fast bowlers and work around them.

That means Root, Stokes, Pope, Crawley, Bairstow, probably Burns.

It also means Foakes, Wood, Jimmy, probably Archer.

A spinner - Leach most likely.

Others in the touring party, Woakes, Malan, Broad, and whoever gets a packet of runs in the county game this summer.

Oh, and Robinson (well done lad)

Are you not including Broad in the best because of his record against them?

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
bairstow should be in the test squad about as much as I should be.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Someone's gone back in Jimmy Anderson's Twitter history to claim he's homophobic for saying Stuart Broad's new haircut made him look like a lesbian.

Others have pointed out that Craig Overton, who might replace Ollie Robinson at Edgbaston, made racist remarks when he was 20.

We're going to have no bowlers left at this rate...

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Are you not including Broad in the best because of his record against them?

To take Broad and Anderson is a step too far I think.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

The last 4 tests are back to back mate. I think we take both and rotate them

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Someone's gone back in Jimmy Anderson's Twitter history to claim he's homophobic for saying Stuart Broad's new haircut made him look like a lesbian.

Others have pointed out that Craig Overton, who might replace Ollie Robinson at Edgbaston, made racist remarks when he was 20.

We're going to have no bowlers left at this rate...

I bet Chris Woakes has a very safe, pedestrian Twitter history.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
The last 4 tests are back to back mate. I think we take both and rotate them

That is a tough schedule (we'll lose!). So, yes, that might be smart.

Confession. I don't know why, but I've never warmed to Broad in the way I have to Jimmy (there's a clue there). It's a bit like Ovett and Coe for me. Impossible to love them both, so you have to choose one.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Confession. I don't know why, but I've never warmed to Broad in the way I have to Jimmy (there's a clue there). It's a bit like Ovett and Coe for me. Impossible to love them both, so you have to choose one.

You mean Steve and Coe (or Seb and Ovett)?

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
You mean Steve and Coe (or Seb and Ovett)?

Now come on Nick, that should be obvious.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Yeah I get what you mean as I'd choose Jimmy over Broad anyday but both are still outstanding bowlers. It'll be a sad day when both retire.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Now come on Nick, that should be obvious.

Crammy? :D

Online Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan

Even with an injury record as poor as Archer's?

Still the first two for me but it's batting that will let us down.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
people seem to always forget broad is something like 4 years younger than anderson.

they'll both go to australia barring injury and they both should too.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/another-england-men-s-player-found-to-have-posted-discriminatory-content-1265504

One tweet uses derogatory slang and graphics to describe people of Chinese origin. Another uses derogatory terminology to describe homosexuality.
The player was aged less than 16 at the time.
« Last Edit: June 7, 2021, 08:42:36 pm by voodoo ray »

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
people seem to always forget broad is something like 4 years younger than anderson.

they'll both go to australia barring injury and they both should too.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/another-england-men-s-player-found-to-have-posted-discriminatory-content-1265504

One tweet uses derogatory slang and graphics to describe people of Chinese origin. Another uses derogatory terminology to describe homosexuality.
The player was aged less than 16 at the time.

Teenager is a twat. Why is this newsworthy?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Honestly people really need to stop going back through several years or social media posts to find something to be outraged about. If no one searches for them no one finds out about them and no one is offended.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not an auspicious first post but harmless enough. I’ll keep digging.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Not an auspicious first post but harmless enough. I’ll keep digging.

Won't take you long, I was rating Zak Whitbread in only my third post on here. Shows you how much of a dickhead you can be at 18 right?!

PS - That was my second post ;)

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Honestly people really need to stop going back through several years or social media posts to find something to be outraged about. If no one searches for them no one finds out about them and no one is offended.
Is this a serious post? If it is fucking hell you’ve got some issues. How about people just don’t post racist and sexist stuff. Would you say the same applies to those other criminals that did historical crimes? If the cops don’t probe historic abuse they don’t find anything and nobody is offended.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Is this a serious post? If it is fucking hell you’ve got some issues. How about people just don’t post racist and sexist stuff. Would you say the same applies to those other criminals that did historical crimes? If the cops don’t probe historic abuse they don’t find anything and nobody is offended.

Yes. Finding out a sportsman said a few horrific things when they were a teenager is exactly the same as someone murdering, sexually assaulting or raping someone decades earlier. You're quite correct.  ::)  Hell lets go even further and find out if a young Ollie Robinson got into a fight with someone when he was 8, charge him with GBH and lock him up. That'll learn him!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan

Did you completely avoid saying anything offensive when you were a teenager?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yes. Finding out a sportsman said a few horrific things when they were a teenager is exactly the same as someone murdering, sexually assaulting or raping someone decades earlier. You're quite correct.  ::)  Hell lets go even further and find out if a young Ollie Robinson got into a fight with someone when he was 8, charge him with GBH and lock him up. That'll learn him!
By your train of thought if someone does something racist whilst a teenager its ok, as long as they say sorry let’s not make a big deal out of it because you know on the grand scale of things it’s not a big deal compared to other crimes. Are you part of the BAME community? Muslim? Asian? Or a woman? If not I suggest you don’t insinuate just how offended we should be by racist abuse.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
By your train of thought if someone does something racist whilst a teenager its ok, as long as they say sorry let’s not make a big deal out of it because you know on the grand scale of things it’s not a big deal compared to other crimes. Are you part of the BAME community? Muslim? Asian? Or a woman? If not I suggest you don’t insinuate just how offended we should be by racist abuse.

teenagers are fucking dickheads. in this case it relates to stuff that was typed when the person was legally a child.

most people grow out of it. some don't.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

No. I'm not. I'm saying that people shouldn't be deliberately searching other peoples social media history for things they have said several years or a decade ago just so they can be outraged because that person has become successful in their life. No one would know about this if Ollie Robinson didn't play for England this week, if you read his story its not a reflection on who he is as a person now, yet someone somewhere decided "oh lets see if he's said anything offensive" and searched his Twitter for that stuff. It needs to stop.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
Almost everyone I know will have said stupid shit below the age of 16. Thankfully for them (and probably me to be honest) the only social media you could get on under-18 was MySpace, so think we’d be safe. But I’m not sure hammering people for tweets they made when they were 15 is ok.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
this is the offending article.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Is that from Robinson or from the player who hasn't been named?

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
This latest 'reveal' really is a waste of everyone's time. So, a teenager sent some tweets that are offensive but we're not going to name them because they're a teenager. Well, why bother then? Just leave it in the past where it belongs.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
it's from the child. it looks like child text but then again so do a lot of social media posts these days

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
So we are now at the stage of people scrolling every players twitter feeds for something offensive?

Cricket absolutely hates itself

No. I'm not. I'm saying that people shouldn't be deliberately searching other peoples social media history for things they have said several years or a decade ago just so they can be outraged because that person has become successful in their life. No one would know about this if Ollie Robinson didn't play for England this week, if you read his story its not a reflection on who he is as a person now, yet someone somewhere decided "oh lets see if he's said anything offensive" and searched his Twitter for that stuff. It needs to stop.

You’re only saying that because you wasted two hours searching Buttler’s twitter only to find he just wishes he was a golfer
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

You’re only saying that because you wasted two hours searching Buttler’s twitter only to find he just wishes he was a golfer

Retweet "Same, mate, same"

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
measured, considered and much as you'd expect here.

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1402307171912724480

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Yep. Absolutely love Michael Holding and he's nailed it there where I probably failed to do last night. People change over time and looking at stuff they said a decade ago is ridiculous, especially deliberately looking for it to cause outrage and to spoil their big occasion. If someone has said that kinda stuff in the last few years then punish them to the full extent, but looking back to when they were kids or very young adults has to stop.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
measured, considered and much as you'd expect here.

https://twitter.com/SkyCricket/status/1402307171912724480

He's a fucking star is Mike Holding. There's a Klopp-like stature about him.

He remains, too, the most beautiful fast bowler of all time. I am thrilled to say I saw him in '76, in his pomp, off the long run, sending down missiles at 100 mph.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2021/06/08/ecb-face-questions-historic-jos-buttler-eoin-morgan-social-media/?utm_content=sport&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1623176396

Buttler and Morgan now. Who the fuck is doing this?
I think it's a bit sad that someone is actually going through someone's Twitter account from God knows how long ago in the hope of digging us something, I mean now Jimmy Anderson for tweeting that Stuart Broad's new haircut made him look like a 15 year old lesbian. FFS the world has truly gone insane, far more offensive things in the world than banter between cricket mates
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
absolutely spot on, well said
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Buttler's and Morgan's tweets are definitely more insensitive and worthy of attention given they've happened in recent years. Don't think they deserve a ban or anything like that, hopefully they've learned.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Buttler's and Morgan's tweets are definitely more insensitive and worthy of attention given they've happened in recent years. Don't think they deserve a ban or anything like that, hopefully they've learned.

If its in the context that its believed to be, such as taking the piss out of how an Indian person has spoken to them, then its a mad thing to write on social media.

Im going to be controversial and say that I dont think mimicking how someone speaks makes you a racist. But why put that on social media?

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If its in the context that its believed to be, such as taking the piss out of how an Indian person has spoken to them, then its a mad thing to write on social media.

Im going to be controversial and say that I dont think mimicking how someone speaks makes you a racist. But why put that on social media?
I agree and I don't think it's racist either. It's just insensitive to mock people trying to take an effort to communicate their appreciation in their 3rd or 4th language.

As long as they're made aware and understand how it comes across, there shouldn't be any ban.