Author Topic: Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Continuation/Phase 2/Whatever)  (Read 7649 times)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Continuation/Phase 2/Whatever)
« on: May 11, 2018, 05:54:22 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/xCwwxNbtK6Y" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/xCwwxNbtK6Y</a>

Thought this deserved its own thread because, well, it's ace.

Not sure about anyone else, but for some reason growing up in the 80s and 90s, watching Karate Kid seemed to be a bit of a rite of passage. It wasn't a great film, but it has a certain charm. This Youtube Red reboot brings back the original actors playing the main characters, and examines their respective and very different lives (and continuing rivalry) 30 something years later.

I watched it initially out of a sense of nostalgia, but I reckon you could very easily enjoy it without any prior knowledge of the original films. It's got humour, drama, punching and kicking - all the good stuff basically. Trending at 9.2 on IMDB at the minute, which is no doubt at least partially due to the ratings bounce new shows typically get on there, but also because it's genuinely a really good series, possibly the best 'new' series I've seen in quite some time. First two episodes are free on Youtube, the rest can be found in, er, other places...give it a whirl, if you haven't already done so.
« Last Edit: June 2, 2018, 06:15:09 pm by Djozer »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Cobra Kai (Karate Kid reboot)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 06:07:00 pm »
It's wild how good it is. The bully from an 80s movie and Jonny Lawrence leading a top level tv show in 2018 is such a crazy move. And yet it works perfectly.

It's referential without being nostalgic, and as you said could be watched without seeing the original. I was blown away. Strongly recommend to anyone.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 06:54:21 pm »
It's wild how good it is. The bully from an 80s movie and Jonny Lawrence leading a top level tv show in 2018 is such a crazy move. And yet it works perfectly.

It's referential without being nostalgic, and as you said could be watched without seeing the original. I was blown away. Strongly recommend to anyone.
Me too, man. I started watching it last night cos' I thought, what the hell, looks alright, bit of nostalgia, whatever. Just intended on watching a few episodes and ended up bingeing the whole thing and not getting to bed until 4.30! It really is that good. Hope they sort a second series out quickly.

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:45:02 am »
The last scene of the last episode....shit just got real!
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:56:04 am »
Binge watched all of it after just giving the first episode on youtube a go. It's brilliant. It's magnificent viewing on its own.

Spoiler

It's true art how well fleshed out, '3d' the characters are, loved the acting of almost all the leads except Robby. He doesn't carry the bad-boy-turning-good arc well, the guy's got the face and bearing of a villain, too cold, too closed. His best scenes were early on imo when he was cheating people off laptops and telling his dad to get lost.

Love Johnny Lawrence and Miguel man. It's a testament to the quality of the work done that they can make you start to dislike certain aspects of Daniel LaRusso! The worst thing they can do imo is have next season's main arc being Robby finally winning the championship and the girl. Screw Robby.

So far they've done practically everything spot on. Top class.

[close]

« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 09:08:27 am by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 09:02:04 am »
I used to do Karate back in the day and the lad he fought, you could tell even then was a decent fighter and knew his stuff.

The 'Star' of the show would have got a massive kicking in our club if he pulled that jumpy duck shite - would never work in a real competition.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 09:12:19 am »
But come on, the first episode was cheesy and corny as fuck!

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 09:22:38 am »
But come on, the first episode was cheesy and corny as fuck!

This insult can only be settled in the ring.

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 10:03:30 am »

lol Hey I liked it  (haven't watched the series yet) but it was :D not bad but a little.....cringy. I'm guessing it picks up well?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 10:13:51 am »

You'd need bonjella if someone did that to your ring
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 10:44:28 am »
The guy who played Daniel is quite a strange looking man child.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 11:08:54 am »
lol Hey I liked it  (haven't watched the series yet) but it was :D not bad but a little.....cringy. I'm guessing it picks up well?

just joking...For me, it was consistent in terms of the pace of the story and quality. Give the whole thing a go and see.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 11:11:07 am »
The guy who played Daniel is quite a strange looking man child.

Yeah, it`s the original karate kid himself, Ralph Maccio.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 05:20:52 pm »
Binge watched all of it after just giving the first episode on youtube a go. It's brilliant. It's magnificent viewing on its own.

Spoiler

It's true art how well fleshed out, '3d' the characters are, loved the acting of almost all the leads except Robby. He doesn't carry the bad-boy-turning-good arc well, the guy's got the face and bearing of a villain, too cold, too closed. His best scenes were early on imo when he was cheating people off laptops and telling his dad to get lost.

Love Johnny Lawrence and Miguel man. It's a testament to the quality of the work done that they can make you start to dislike certain aspects of Daniel LaRusso! The worst thing they can do imo is have next season's main arc being Robby finally winning the championship and the girl. Screw Robby.

So far they've done practically everything spot on. Top class.

[close]

Spoiler
Totally agree about Robby, he just annoyed me for some reason. Don't know if it's just his face or what, just couldn't really get into him. Guess they needed a partway sympathetic counterpoint to Miguel, so he had someone meaningful to face in the tournament, and the show's all about the grey areas. Well, they failed. I just wanted Miguel to kick his squinty little face in, even though Miguel's almost the bully by that stage. Hope Robby gets fucked off for the next series but yeah, I can see him ending up being the champion. Hopefully it's Larusso's daughter instead, I didn't mind her, although I'd root for Miguel against anyone I think.

I'm with you on Lawrence and Miguel too, they really made the show for me. Great characters, played brilliantly. Both have pretty good comic timing, which worked really well when it was needed. Hawk was cool, too. Quite fancy Miguel's mum an all - be nice if she ends up with Lawrence, although I can't really see it happening. His gran was ace as well. Very intrigued to see how Kreese fits into it all next season. It would be great if Lawrence ends up battering him at some point, never would a comeuppance be more deserved. Need a proper Larusso-Lawrence matchup too, or maybe they can team up to take down Kreese. Even so, I want to see those two get the straightener they need, although it'd be nice if they end up as mates - I really liked it when they were almost there after getting pissed up together and finding out how much they had in common, before Robby ruined it. Fucking Robby again, always Robby.
[close]

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 07:51:35 pm »
Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Barnes or Terry Silver make an appearance in season 2.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 10:24:22 am »
Spoiler
Totally agree about Robby, he just annoyed me for some reason. Don't know if it's just his face or what, just couldn't really get into him. Guess they needed a partway sympathetic counterpoint to Miguel, so he had someone meaningful to face in the tournament, and the show's all about the grey areas. Well, they failed. I just wanted Miguel to kick his squinty little face in, even though Miguel's almost the bully by that stage. Hope Robby gets fucked off for the next series but yeah, I can see him ending up being the champion. Hopefully it's Larusso's daughter instead, I didn't mind her, although I'd root for Miguel against anyone I think.

I'm with you on Lawrence and Miguel too, they really made the show for me. Great characters, played brilliantly. Both have pretty good comic timing, which worked really well when it was needed. Hawk was cool, too. Quite fancy Miguel's mum an all - be nice if she ends up with Lawrence, although I can't really see it happening. His gran was ace as well. Very intrigued to see how Kreese fits into it all next season. It would be great if Lawrence ends up battering him at some point, never would a comeuppance be more deserved. Need a proper Larusso-Lawrence matchup too, or maybe they can team up to take down Kreese. Even so, I want to see those two get the straightener they need, although it'd be nice if they end up as mates - I really liked it when they were almost there after getting pissed up together and finding out how much they had in common, before Robby ruined it. Fucking Robby again, always Robby.
[close]

Spoiler

Art being subjective it's rarer that you get total agreement on something, but what you've said there...agree with pretty much everything - including Miguel's mom being a potential love interest of Johnny. ;D

They've built up Miguel so well that I would back him against anyone too, would be nice if he ends up as the ultimate protaganist of the entire series rather than the more predictable Robby or Daniel's daughter.

[close]

Definitely owe you a thanks for starting a thread on this, unlikely to have caught my attention otherwise.

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 10:38:29 am »
Wouldn't be surprised if Mike Barnes or Terry Silver make an appearance in season 2.

This needs to happen.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 02:08:14 pm »
Spoiler

Art being subjective it's rarer that you get total agreement on something, but what you've said there...agree with pretty much everything - including Miguel's mom being a potential love interest of Johnny. ;D

They've built up Miguel so well that I would back him against anyone too, would be nice if he ends up as the ultimate protaganist of the entire series rather than the more predictable Robby or Daniel's daughter.

[close]

Definitely owe you a thanks for starting a thread on this, unlikely to have caught my attention otherwise.
You're very welcome mate, and I'm glad that at least one person watched it because of this thread. I reckon everyone and their mum should watch this, I find it hard to imagine the sort of person who would come away from watching it without a smile on their face.

Also, you've reminded me that I should thank the person who mentioned it in the TV thread, as I probably wouldn't have bothered myself otherwise. I was definitely of a "Karate Kid tv series? Not sure that's my cup of tea" mindset, but I'm so glad I gave it a chance.

Offline archie

• bald. Our man in Moscow. And a bloody decent chap. MIA, last seen babysitting.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • you're due a duechers
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 03:46:42 pm »
First couple of episodes free on YouTube then it’s paywall

Where are people watching this?

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 03:59:49 pm »
First couple of episodes free on YouTube then it’s paywall

Where are people watching this?
pm'd you mate.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 05:20:38 pm »
Another one who decided to watch it because of this thread, absolutely brilliant, far better than I would have expected. Great to see so much care being put into the characters and the story rather than just trying to milk nostalgia.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 10:36:43 am »
I'm another who's begun watching this cos of this thread. Seen the first episode and I'm hooked.

Cheers, chaps!
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2018, 12:06:57 pm »
5 in. Loving it.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2018, 05:50:01 pm »
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
Agree with you mate. Absolutely loved the series, but if there is one criticism i'd make, it's Robby. His character changes from a bad kid to Daniel's next star pupil way too quickly so I still just see him as a little shit. Kind of felt like Miguel and Sam's relationship turned sour a little too fast too, an extra couple of episodes would could have helped with the pacing.

Still, it's so well written on the whole. I love how it's not just black and white, and that we see both the positives and negatives of Cobra Kai, and how Johnny and Daniel are both flawed in their own ways. I really though Zabka is particular did a brilliant job with the acting. He has the best comedy lines too.. that "my doctor says I'm on the spectrum" - "Well you better get off it, pronto!!" still makes me laugh when I think about it
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2018, 09:48:53 pm »
Done the series and when they do the cheese subtly then it's great. Overall really great series I thought :)

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 08:16:39 am »
That Robby reminded me of this weirdo

Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline C.B Alonso

• Old skool RAWK Photographer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2018, 05:46:32 am »
Great tv show! But It’s wrong to call it a reboot!
Johnny is so good. So many funny quotes on there!
I love how he’s stuck in the 80s and not PC
the soundtrack is good too
Lets fucking create an atmosphere instead of complaining about it.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2018, 08:36:38 pm »
Started watching this evening.  I've just finished episode 7 and as it's now 5:34AM I should probably go to bed now.   So... I just wanted to say thanks to Djozer for the recommendation and to the other contributors for their input in the thread, because I almost certainly wouldn't have watched this otherwise and it's absolutely fucking ace!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:38:15 pm by Darren G »

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2018, 11:24:06 pm »
Johnny is so good.
I love how he’s stuck in the 80s and not PC

The bit where they were doing the minutes silence and he whispered to kick him in the face while waiting  :lmao

Awesome show
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2018, 10:08:13 am »
So, episode 8....

Spoiler
Johnny's version of events in the original movie. What a really clever bit of writing/editing that was. really well done.
[close]

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2018, 11:30:47 am »
So, episode 8....

Spoiler
Johnny's version of events in the original movie. What a really clever bit of writing/editing that was. really well done.
[close]

Spoiler
been around years on the internet, I wonder if that is where the idea for the new show came from
[close]

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2018, 03:48:52 pm »
Spoiler
been around years on the internet, I wonder if that is where the idea for the new show came from
[close]

I'd say it must be
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2018, 07:10:22 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Haha, found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_Gz_iTuRMM
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:12:08 pm by Darren G »

Offline C.B Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2018, 05:59:41 am »
The bit where they were doing the minutes silence and he whispered to kick him in the face while waiting  :lmao

Awesome show

haha yes Johnny just seems to say whats on your mind. There's so many quotes from the show that make me laugh.

'You can take your asthma, and your peanut allergies and all that other made up bullshit outside, is that understood?!'
LOL

Johnny: "hm i really like these bananas"
Mig's mum: "they're called plaintains"
Johnny: "Oh, in english we call them bananas"
:D

"What's a facebook?"

and so on :)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2018, 05:34:25 pm »
Spoiler
Agree with you mate. Absolutely loved the series, but if there is one criticism i'd make, it's Robby. His character changes from a bad kid to Daniel's next star pupil way too quickly so I still just see him as a little shit. Kind of felt like Miguel and Sam's relationship turned sour a little too fast too, an extra couple of episodes would could have helped with the pacing.

Still, it's so well written on the whole. I love how it's not just black and white, and that we see both the positives and negatives of Cobra Kai, and how Johnny and Daniel are both flawed in their own ways. I really though Zabka is particular did a brilliant job with the acting. He has the best comedy lines too.. that "my doctor says I'm on the spectrum" - "Well you better get off it, pronto!!" still makes me laugh when I think about it
[close]
Spoiler
Totally agree about the pacing mate. Robby's character change (though they could have spread that over 100 episodes and I suspect I'd still have found him irritating), Miguel and Sam's relationship, and just the whole nerdy kids do karate and become hardcore borderline bullies thing could all have done with a few more episodes work, perhaps. Arguably even Lip's reinvention as Hawk, although that was clearly intentionally quick and it worked well I think - love the Hawk.

And yeah, Johnny had some brilliant non-PC lines and in many ways is a complete dick, but still manages to be a hugely sympathetic character imo - as you say, a testament to both his acting and the excellent writing.
[close]
Great tv show! But It’s wrong to call it a reboot!

You might well be right, man - I struggled to know what to call it. "Sequel" somehow didn't seem right (although maybe that's technically more correct?), but as you say, not too sure about "Reboot" either. Glad everyone's enjoying it, and if anyone's got a better term for it than "reboot" then I'm more than happy to change the thread title.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: June 2, 2018, 01:47:29 am »
"Continuation of" maybe?

Offline C.B Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
« Reply #36 on: June 2, 2018, 09:02:53 am »
"Continuation of" maybe?

sounds about right

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: June 2, 2018, 01:43:02 pm »
I believe the correct term is "phase two".

Can't wait for the Ali Mills part of the KKEU.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #38 on: June 2, 2018, 02:51:15 pm »
I believe the correct term is "phase two".

Can't wait for the Ali Mills part of the KKEU.

Dear God, imagine the possibilities...

Divorced soccer mom with issues, yum... :D

Elisabeth Shue will never sign on, but if she did... :lickin
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline C.B Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Aallriight!"
Re: Cobra Kai (Karate Kid Continuation/Phase 2/Whatever)
« Reply #39 on: June 3, 2018, 11:53:07 am »

Mike Barnes is set for season 2.
There's a fan theory that Terry Silver is the father of Miguel.

Can't wait to see the next season!