Author Topic: Pete Doherty  (Read 19252 times)

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Pete Doherty
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2011, 12:38:54 pm »
Yup, they were. I have a mate who is touted as one of the best guitar players in the world, and he cant get a look in with the labels. But that talentless junkie fuck rides the media waves.

Bit of a stunted arguement really.

Were The Beatles riding the media wave for Rock n Roll? Or the Clash when it came to Punk, or Metallica for heavy metal? Im sure there were musicians about who were much better than Ringo at playing drums who never got a break, and people who could play guitar better than Mick Jones. Damn those two for riding the media wave  :wanker

Offline Gobias Industries

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2011, 12:40:07 pm »
Pete Doherty is over-rated shite for a generation of people that were brought up on shite music. Had he come along in the early 90s he wouldn't have got a look in. People could still remember good music back then.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »
but they were part of a better collective. Wtf has junkie fuck done?
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2011, 12:40:49 pm »
Pete Doherty is over-rated shite for a generation of people that were brought up on shite music. Had he come along in the early 90s he wouldn't have got a look in. People could still remember good music back then.

Summers were longer too weren't they  ::)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 14, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »
Ahhh that old chestnut. Do you play? Do you not realise that to be able to play at the speed of light you have to play slow. You just dont think ' i know, ill shred ' one day and all is well. And he has worked far harder at his craft than that junkie fuck.

Thats not the point though, I'm sure there is a guy who paints portraits of people on the streets for 10 bucks that can do an absolutely perfect job and yet Van Gogh drew a ghost on a bridge and people talk about him years later but the the one who paints the portraits still does the same thing and no one talks about him.   
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2011, 12:42:14 pm »
Well it was compared to Lennon/McCartney
Doh!

erty
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: May 14, 2011, 12:43:15 pm »

Well the junkie is in a band that is being produced by a legend of punk music i.e. Mick Jones.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #127 on: May 14, 2011, 12:43:30 pm »
LTE are boring. Boring? I take it you dont play an instrument or follow music at its core?

What's with this attitude?

What is that, like... to conquer fear you must become fear?

Does it apply to movies as well? I've shot a crackin' vid of my cat chasing a peice of string and I don't want to be an ignorant consumer the next time I see a movie.
:D

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: May 14, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »
I also know of an artist that you would bust your cock off to get him to do a pic for you, and its annoying that other talentless c*nts hit the headlines whilst proper artists get fuck all.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 14, 2011, 12:44:34 pm »
What's with this attitude?

What is that, like... to conquer fear you must become fear?

Does it apply to movies as well? I've shot a crackin' vid of my cat chasing a peice of string and I don't want to be an ignorant consumer the next time I see a movie.

Do what?

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #130 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »

That weren't your point was it though. You said he was a limited musican who had climbed the media ladder. Much like the media and the hunger for Rock 'n Roll helped The Beatles climb to the top, do you hold the same sort of vitriol towards that limited musician Ringo Starr? Or is he let off because he was part of a 'better collective'?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:14 pm »
Summers were longer too weren't they  ::)

I don't know, I was too young to remember.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #132 on: May 14, 2011, 12:47:13 pm »
Do what?

You questioned some ones opinion on a band, then used 'playing an instrument or following music at it's core' to follow it up with.

Total pompous gash.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: May 14, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »
That weren't your point was it though. You said he was a limited musican who had climbed the media ladder. Much like the media and the hunger for Rock 'n Roll helped The Beatles climb to the top, do you hold the same sort of vitriol towards that limited musician Ringo Starr? Or is he let off because he was part of a 'better collective'?

No, as when the Beatles did it, it was new. I dont really like them either but there is no denying the fact they were groundbreaking. Cant say the same for junkie smackhead.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2011, 12:53:07 pm »
You questioned some ones opinion on a band, then used 'playing an instrument or following music at it's core' to follow it up with.

Total pompous gash.

Pompous cos i can.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2011, 12:56:26 pm »
No, as when the Beatles did it, it was new. I dont really like them either but there is no denying the fact they were groundbreaking. Cant say the same for junkie smackhead.

So its ok for some but not others, ok.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:01 pm »
Yea

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:40 pm »
And I thought music was subjective.

Don't see why you let it wind you up so much.

Offline Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2011, 01:01:04 pm »
And I thought music was subjective.

Don't see why you let it wind you up so much.

It's not subjective, you need at least a degree in it to have an opinion on the matter. ::)

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: May 14, 2011, 01:36:34 pm »
This is taking the piss now, why feel so strongly against someone who you've never met SHF? And as for you having more talent I may aswell tell you you're talking out of your arse. 'You never got the break?' Boo fucking hoo you make your own break. Calling him 'Junkie fuck' and singling out someone for an addiction is very small minded and I thought you for one would sympathise.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2011, 01:42:05 pm »
You need to read my posts. i never said he got the break i never did and i also said i was a hypocrite slagging off his addiction. I just think he is shit.

Offline Moldyman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2011, 02:01:36 pm »
He can write a decent tune, but its fair to say the controvery of drugs/supermodel girlfriends pushed him higher into the public eye than he probably ever should have been. So in a way he did ride the media wave, but who can blame him?

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2011, 02:52:35 pm »
Fucking hell. What a load of absolute horse shite this thread is.

Doherty is an extremely talented lyricist and The Libertines are a great band, much better than 99% of music made in the last 20 years.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2011, 02:56:38 pm »

Doherty is an extremely talented lyricist and The Libertines are a great band, much better than 99% of music made in the last 20 years.

I told a RAWK member id lay off the abuse, so i will but what? You joking? 20 years? yea right lol.

Offline Cribertinokes

• Born free. Live free. Die.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96
« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »
I told a RAWK member id lay off the abuse, so i will but what? You joking? 20 years? yea right lol.

They're not the best band of the last 20 years but they're definitely up there.
These are the days when I hate the world, hate the rich, hate the happy, hate the complacent, the TV watchers, beer drinkers, the satisfied ones. Because I know I can be all of those little hateful things and then I hate myself for realising that.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2011, 03:00:19 pm »

Talented lyricist? Kill a man for his giro? Yeah right.

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2011, 03:03:33 pm »
They're not the best band of the last 20 years but they're definitely up there.

Nowhere near as talented as SHF though.

He just got lucky.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Moldyman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »
Talented lyricist? Kill a man for his giro? Yeah right.

IF HE IS SO SHIT, LETS HEAR ONE OF YOUR SONGS THEN.

edit: fucking hate that "aw hes a shit lyricist" bollocks. PROVE you can do better, or shut the fuck up.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2011, 03:36:03 pm »

edit: fucking hate that "aw hes a shit lyricist" bollocks. PROVE you can do better, or shut the fuck up.

oooh, Bold and Caps!! You are an angry boy.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »
Nowhere near as talented as SHF though.

He just got lucky.

No he isnt. Not technically.

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2011, 03:43:50 pm »

THE worst argument possible.

Apply that logic to yourself.  That would mean you'd never be able to criticize a film, a chef, a footballer, virtually anything really, unless you can "PROVE you can do better".
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2011, 03:43:58 pm »
He's a junkie, he's a shite guitarist, but so was Kurt Cobain and I'd still rather listen to Doherty than him. I'd actually take Doherty over the Beatles, too.

It's a lousy life for the washed up wife, and her permanently plastered, pissed up bastard

Whatever, I love it.

Offline Moldyman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2011, 04:18:57 pm »

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2011, 04:23:25 pm »

99%????

Offline CarlitoB

• [color=white]CT fucked about with in unoriginal manner.[/color] Likes to brew up a storm in a teacup... (no one died in the making of this CT)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2011, 04:38:34 pm »
Erm, yeah okay....not really.

Yes, really.  Unless you can construct an argument against my point.
"God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven. I can't live with that."

Offline Not Bob

• RAWK Factor Winner 2012 - it's a rap, folks!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2011, 04:44:12 pm »
99%????

I mean, if you consider how popular shit like Linkin Park and Britney Spears were, it's a fair assessment.

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2011, 04:53:21 pm »
I mean, if you consider how popular shit like Linkin Park and Britney Spears were, it's a fair assessment.

Yeah but that's putting him in the 1%, he's just not

Offline Veinticinco de Mayo

• Almost as nice as Hellmans and cheaper too! Feedback tourist #57. President of ZATAA.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In an aeroplane over RAWK
« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2011, 05:15:59 pm »
Fuck's sake lad is offering some spare tickets, if you are interested then make him an offer, if you are not then fuck off this ain't the thread for you.

As for Doherty, a very patchy body of work, but he has got some songs in there that stand up to scrutiny alongside the best.  Too many people getting their opinions of him directly from the tabloids in all fairness.

And too many on here with their own fucking demons who are being far too quick to judge others.

Tweeting shit about LFC @kevhowson Tweeting shit about music @GigMonkey2
Bill Shankly - 'The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards'

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2011, 05:28:28 pm »
Truthfully the people who 'hate' him on this thread. If he was just your average lead singer, you know maybe done some drugs, partied a bit. Nothing too heavy, same as Alex Turner or whatever. What would you think of him?

I somehow doubt you'd say talentless fuck. Probably something along of the lines of 'He's ok, not great but better than a lot of the stuff out their.'

Offline Moldyman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: May 14, 2011, 05:36:26 pm »
Yes, really.  Unless you can construct an argument against my point.

I couldn't be arsed as I'm stoned as fuck but here goes... For starters, I was challenging the musicians in this thread(who called him talentless) to cough up some of their own stuff so we could compare. I'm a songwriter myself and I would die for his ability to connect with the typical english teenager. Whether you like it or not, he has it.

Its not the same as saying 'hes a shit footballer' or 'hes a shit chef' because expertise in both of those take years of training and teaching. Poetry comes from within and ANYBODY from 4 years old up can do it. If you think Pete Doherty's poetry is so shite, bearing in mind it comes straight from his heart with no extra training than you or I have had, then you are surely insinuating that you can do better?

If you KNOW you can't do better, but still insist on calling him a talentless junkie, then what does that make you?