Author Topic: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread  (Read 336843 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Gulleysucker's 'well I never knew that' thread
« Reply #2600 on: March 28, 2021, 06:36:09 pm »
'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a legitimate sentence in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

haha that's ace that :)

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #2601 on: March 28, 2021, 08:48:32 pm »
They liked to sit on a wall with their Dad

Was their mum’s maiden name Theresa Green?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2602 on: March 31, 2021, 07:53:41 pm »
'Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo' is a legitimate sentence in English.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo

like that  ;D
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2603 on: April 2, 2021, 11:50:37 am »
Gerry's brother Freddie played drums in Gerry & the Pacemakers.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2604 on: April 2, 2021, 12:23:35 pm »
No idea cow that happened...

I prefer the udder explanations about it
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2605 on: June 6, 2021, 08:47:22 am »
Here's the original artwork inspiration for the queen album - news of the world

wiki

The album's cover was a painting by American sci-fi artist Frank Kelly Freas. Taylor had an issue of Astounding Science Fiction (October 1953) whose cover art depicted a giant intelligent robot holding the dead body of a man. The caption read: "Please... fix it, Daddy?" to illustrate the story "The Gulf Between" by Tom Godwin. The painting inspired the band to contact Freas, who agreed to alter the painting for their album cover, by replacing the single dead man with the four "dead" band members (with Taylor and Deacon falling to the ground, and Taylor only visible on the back cover).

The inner cover (gatefold) has the robot extending its hand to snatch up the petrified fleeing audience in the shattered auditorium where the corpses were removed. Freas said he was a classical music fan and did not know Queen, and only listened to the band after doing the cover "because I thought I might just hate them, and it would ruin my ideas", but eventually liked their music.
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2606 on: June 6, 2021, 10:23:17 am »
That's really interesting liver, its one of many album covers from back in the day that you'd stare at for ages and wonder what the fuck.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2607 on: June 6, 2021, 03:12:46 pm »
In 1990, Baudouin I of Belgium asked to be declared unfit to rule to avoid a constitutional crisis.  He was a Roman Catholic, and as such, he refused to give Royal Assent to a bill that would have legalised abortion.  So, on 4th April, he was declared unfit to rule and didn't reign as Head of State while the law was passed, the government did.  On the 5th April it was declared he was fit to rule again.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2609 on: June 7, 2021, 08:11:02 am »
Cyprus v Russia
Sweden v Denmark
Poland v Andorra
Bhutan v Tanzania

All of these international fixtures will have the name of the home team on the scoreboard, made up of the three letter abbreviations of both teams.

CYP RUS
SWE DEN
POL AND
BHU TAN

And if you take the remaining letters, you get the away team.

rus sia
den mark
and orra
tan zania

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2610 on: June 9, 2021, 03:39:21 pm »
an idea of the scale of our solar system

if the sun was scaled to 3 inches in diameter then the distance from the sun to the earth would be about 27 feet and the earth's diameter would be the size of a grain of sand

taking that scale into account

the nearest star to earth would be...

1400 miles away

Online Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2611 on: June 10, 2021, 04:28:44 pm »

Random stab in the dark here but can anybody translate this for me? Please and thank you.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2612 on: June 10, 2021, 04:36:50 pm »
Omega.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #2613 on: June 10, 2021, 04:54:29 pm »
an idea of the scale of our solar system

if the sun was scaled to 3 inches in diameter then the distance from the sun to the earth would be about 27 feet and the earth's diameter would be the size of a grain of sand

taking that scale into account

the nearest star to earth would be...

1400 miles away
In a similar vein...
How far away is the moon really?
If you drove an imaginary car there in a straight line at 60 mph, night and day, it would take you 6 months to reach it.
It takes light 1.2 seconds to cover the same distance.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #2614 on: June 10, 2021, 05:29:19 pm »
The Cinema chain, ODEON, stood for 'Oscar Deutsch Entertains our Nation'.

The chain was named after Oscar Deutsch, the cousin of Arnold Deutsch  the KGB agent who recruited Burgess, Philby, MacLean, Blunt et al.

That's what his publicity team claimed. The odeon (singing place) was a popular amphitheatre in ancient Greece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_(building)

And there were cinemas called Odeon in france and elsewhere on the continent. What you're referring to is almost certainly a 'backronym' where a phase is made to fit an existing word:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2616 on: June 10, 2021, 08:43:56 pm »
Random stab in the dark here but can anybody translate this for me? Please and thank you.

based on a Google image search I'd say it's a Chinese for Good Luck

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2617 on: June 12, 2021, 11:44:34 pm »
The harmonica player in Alabama 3 who played ‘Woke Up This Morning’ the Sopranos’ theme song is the son of Bruce Reynolds, the mastermind behind the Great Train Robbery.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Redwhiteandnotblue

• God's spin doctor.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2618 on: June 13, 2021, 05:35:04 pm »

It's also possible to put the word "and" in a proper sentence 5 times in a row:

You see that sign outside the Rose     and      Crown?
There's too much space between Rose and and and and and Crown.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2619 on: June 13, 2021, 09:51:46 pm »
That's what his publicity team claimed. The odeon (singing place) was a popular amphitheatre in ancient Greece.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odeon_(building)

And there were cinemas called Odeon in france and elsewhere on the continent. What you're referring to is almost certainly a 'backronym' where a phase is made to fit an existing word:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backronym

Well Deutsch was related to a master of maskirovka so I suppose bending of the truth is to be expected. :D

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2620 on: July 14, 2021, 09:35:10 pm »
Bit late now the Euros are over, but a couple of facts I recently learnt about the start of the Three Lions song:

The fans chanting were Brondby fans, recorded at Anfield.

The commentary ("I think it's bad news for the English game". "We're not creative enough and we're not positive enough") wasn't from an England game, but from the UEFA Cup in 1996 when Forest were beaten 5-1 by Bayern Munich.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2621 on: July 14, 2021, 09:40:17 pm »
Bit late now the Euros are over, but a couple of facts I recently learnt about the start of the Three Lions song:

The commentary ("I think it's bad news for the English game". "We're not creative enough and we're not positive enough") wasn't from an England game, but from the UEFA Cup in 1996 when Forest were beaten 5-1 by Bayern Munich.

I was at that game! Not that I was in the Brondby end. Dan Eggen. :(

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #2622 on: July 15, 2021, 02:40:24 pm »
I was at that game! Not that I was in the Brondby end. Dan Eggen. :(
Nick adds 'Appeared on a UK No. 1 hit single' onto his CV.   :D
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #2623 on: July 15, 2021, 03:00:31 pm »

This from Football Cliches? I listened to the podcast they had it on recently, still not tracked the final bit have they.

We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2624 on: July 15, 2021, 03:37:07 pm »
Nick adds 'Appeared on a UK No. 1 hit single' onto his CV.   :D

Already in there as a founding member of St Winnifred’s School Choir.

Online RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2625 on: July 15, 2021, 08:13:57 pm »
This from Football Cliches? I listened to the podcast they had it on recently, still not tracked the final bit have they.

It was from a podcast I think, but couldn't tell you the name - I only heard a clip someone had put on twitter.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2627 on: July 16, 2021, 12:14:49 pm »
They can't look up though
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2628 on: July 27, 2021, 12:48:42 pm »
As someone who proclaims to be a massive Auf Wiedersehen, Pet fan and all round lover of good comedy and classic telly, I was absolutely stunned a couple of years ago to realise that Mr Arthur Pringle, landlord of The Barley Mow in series 2, is played by the same actor who played the rival milkman in Norman Wisdom's Early Bird. Bryan Pringle (1935-2002) was also in the Heineken advert 'the water in Majorca' from the 80s.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #2629 on: July 27, 2021, 03:17:32 pm »
In 1990, Baudouin I of Belgium asked to be declared unfit to rule to avoid a constitutional crisis.  He was a Roman Catholic, and as such, he refused to give Royal Assent to a bill that would have legalised abortion.  So, on 4th April, he was declared unfit to rule and didn't reign as Head of State while the law was passed, the government did.  On the 5th April it was declared he was fit to rule again.

When I was a kid I thought King Baudouin was an Arab.

Online Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2630 on: July 27, 2021, 03:41:23 pm »
As someone who proclaims to be a massive Auf Wiedersehen, Pet fan and all round lover of good comedy and classic telly, I was absolutely stunned a couple of years ago to realise that Mr Arthur Pringle, landlord of The Barley Mow in series 2, is played by the same actor who played the rival milkman in Norman Wisdom's Early Bird. Bryan Pringle (1935-2002) was also in the Heineken advert 'the water in Majorca' from the 80s.

I saw him once in London, we were all big fans of the show as well, shouted out "Tiger" to him. Nothing. Probably fed up with "comedians" shouting things out.

One of the facts about Auf Wiedersen I used to be blown away with is that Neville is older than Dennis in real life.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #2631 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:42 pm »
It's also possible to put the word "and" in a proper sentence 5 times in a row:

You see that sign outside the Rose     and      Crown?
There's too much space between Rose and and and and and Crown.

'James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.' is also a valid sentence

The example refers to two students, James and John, who are required by an English test to describe a man who, in the past, had suffered from a cold. John writes "The man had a cold," which the teacher marks as being incorrect, while James writes the correct "The man had had a cold." Since James' answer was right, it had had a better effect on the teacher.
The sentence can be understood more clearly by adding punctuation and emphasis:
James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.[

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #2632 on: July 27, 2021, 05:50:40 pm »
I saw him once in London, we were all big fans of the show as well, shouted out "Tiger" to him. Nothing. Probably fed up with "comedians" shouting things out.

One of the facts about Auf Wiedersen I used to be blown away with is that Neville is older than Dennis in real life.

:O never knew that about Dennis as well, madness!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #2633 on: August 13, 2021, 08:00:53 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jKvQjgC9sIY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jKvQjgC9sIY</a>
Kill the humourless

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2634 on: August 14, 2021, 01:11:59 pm »
Listening to the song ‘Just My Type’ by Saint Motel. Great catchy song with fantastic saxophone riff.

I never realized the line after it was ‘you got a pulse and you are breathing’.

Which doesn’t sound quite so nice.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2635 on: August 14, 2021, 02:08:56 pm »
Listening to the song ‘Just My Type’ by Saint Motel. Great catchy song with fantastic saxophone riff.

I never realized the line after it was ‘you got a pulse and you are breathing’.

Which doesn’t sound quite so nice.

;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #2636 on: August 16, 2021, 07:48:54 am »
Scouse actor Tony Booth..one of his 8 kids is no other than Cherie Blair.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2637 on: August 23, 2021, 05:37:06 pm »
The only true neon signs are red. Any other colour is a mixture of neon and another gas.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #2638 on: August 23, 2021, 11:08:45 pm »
If you're wondering why Indiana Jones on the beach in Last crusade doesnt have ammo in his revolver, the plane scene before, when his da wipes out the elevator on the Biplane, you can see Indy, very briefly, firing off a few rounds at the 109 or whatever it was when it passes. Always wondered why he went to the revolver if it was empty, now i know.
YNWA

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #2639 on: August 24, 2021, 12:45:10 am »
Jason Statham was a national level 10m diver before getting into serious acting.