Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282244 times)

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2480 on: June 7, 2021, 05:36:39 pm »
Did you get to see the white tailed sea eagle when it was hanging about down there? I saw it the once when I was going down the A34, near Cowley.

When was that Rob?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2481 on: June 7, 2021, 08:55:38 pm »
When was that Rob?

I saw it in summer 2020, I was on a run to Reading and was keeping an eye out for Buzzards and Red Kites and over a housing estate I saw a couple of kites then this bloody huge bird flying with them. I thought it was an Eagle, due to its size and the feathers on the end of the wings, but wasn't sure until I checked the trackers and saw one was flying over the area.

It was being reported in January 2020 on the BBC and then local oxford papers, it stayed in Oxford for about 6 months until March 2020 then went wandering all over the place.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18173690.sea-eagle-made-home-near-m40/
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2482 on: June 11, 2021, 05:20:31 pm »
Just been over to look at the pond opposite my house.  There were two baby Moorhens.  Really hope they make it this year.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2483 on: June 14, 2021, 02:16:31 pm »
Saw a Nightjar last night. Got a tip from the owner of the B&B I was staying in that there were some up the road in a nature reserve. Went back up there at dusk and waited for an hour or so (in the middle of a wood, as you do). Was about to give up when I heard one doing its buzzing type call, for ages. Was walking towards the area when I heard the loud clapping noise that the males wings make when they fly, then quickly saw it fly across the last hints of the setting sun in silhouette about 100 yards away. Was a real spooky experience, think that’ll be my rarest sight for a while, they are pretty unusual.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2484 on: June 14, 2021, 03:39:16 pm »
Saw a Nightjar last night. Got a tip from the owner of the B&B I was staying in that there were some up the road in a nature reserve. Went back up there at dusk and waited for an hour or so (in the middle of a wood, as you do). Was about to give up when I heard one doing its buzzing type call, for ages. Was walking towards the area when I heard the loud clapping noise that the males wings make when they fly, then quickly saw it fly across the last hints of the setting sun in silhouette about 100 yards away. Was a real spooky experience, think that’ll be my rarest sight for a while, they are pretty unusual.

Omg that's a rate sighting indeed, you lucky bugger!  Where abouts are you?

I had the pleasure of watching a male sparrowhawk sat on our fence next to the bird feeders last night.  It was there for a good 10mins but didn't get anything as luckily we'd run out of seed so not had any birds feeding all day 🤦

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2485 on: June 14, 2021, 04:28:14 pm »
Went to Edinburgh on Saturday, a Buzzard flew right across the M74 in front of me, could see it had caught some small mammal and was carrying it. On the M8 another Buzzard flew really low across the road, getting chased by 3 crows.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #2486 on: June 15, 2021, 08:24:46 am »
Omg that's a rate sighting indeed, you lucky bugger!  Where abouts are you?

I had the pleasure of watching a male sparrowhawk sat on our fence next to the bird feeders last night.  It was there for a good 10mins but didn't get anything as luckily we'd run out of seed so not had any birds feeding all day 🤦

I was on the Lizard in Cornwall, yeah definitely worth sticking around for! I’ll PM you the spot if you’re down there  8)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2487 on: June 15, 2021, 09:26:39 am »
I was on the Lizard in Cornwall, yeah definitely worth sticking around for! I’ll PM you the spot if you’re down there  8)

We're on Anglesey but hopefully be down in Cornwall in a few weeks so yes please 😁

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2488 on: June 15, 2021, 08:55:18 pm »
Just said on the news that an Egyptian Vulture has been seen in the UK, for the first time since the 1800’s.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2489 on: June 15, 2021, 10:34:44 pm »
Just said on the news that an Egyptian Vulture has been seen in the UK, for the first time since the 1800’s.
Superb that, what a fantastic sighting.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2490 on: June 16, 2021, 12:10:47 am »
Superb that, what a fantastic sighting.

It was from a pharaohld way away.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2491 on: June 16, 2021, 12:30:45 am »
Cumbria last week for what turned out to be the best Bird spotting, though I hasten to add, my first impromptu Bird spotting holiday, whilst relaxing and getting more sloshed than I usually do.

In no particular order:
Buzzard
Sand Martins(a full flock nesting in a large bank)
Mute Swans
Skylarks
An array of various finches I couldn't identify
Grebes
Shell ducks
Some ducks that looked boss though I didn't know what they were called
Stone Curlews
Shags (yes, I know)
(The following with eggs and chicks)
Oyster catchers
Black headed seagulls
Sandwich turns
Lapwings
Eider ducks
Goosanders
Wrens nest with chicks that fledged in our cottage garden
And my personal highlight - which I'd watch for about 20 minutes every day, in the river next to my cottage, a Dipper.

Loved it.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2492 on: June 16, 2021, 07:12:20 am »

That's great!

I live near the Dorset Heaths, and have been undertaking Nighjar surveys for the past 10 years.  We're lucky to have loads here, being as we've got lots of heathland.

Lots of heath on the Lizard too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 07:37:37 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2493 on: June 18, 2021, 12:55:34 pm »
No nightjars sadly, but delighted to see woody out the kitchen window the other morning:

click to enlarge

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2494 on: June 18, 2021, 01:03:34 pm »
Cumbria last week for what turned out to be the best Bird spotting, though I hasten to add, my first impromptu Bird spotting holiday, whilst relaxing and getting more sloshed than I usually do.

In no particular order:
Buzzard
Sand Martins(a full flock nesting in a large bank)
Mute Swans
Skylarks
An array of various finches I couldn't identify
Grebes
Shell ducks
Some ducks that looked boss though I didn't know what they were called
Stone Curlews
Shags (yes, I know)
(The following with eggs and chicks)
Oyster catchers
Black headed seagulls
Sandwich turns
Lapwings
Eider ducks
Goosanders
Wrens nest with chicks that fledged in our cottage garden
And my personal highlight - which I'd watch for about 20 minutes every day, in the river next to my cottage, a Dipper.

Loved it.

That's hell of a list Chopper and I'd have to agree on the Dipper.  Definitely a favourite to watch.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2495 on: June 18, 2021, 01:04:45 pm »
No nightjars sadly, but delighted to see woody out the kitchen window the other morning:

click to enlarge

Well caught mate.  I love hearing the laughing Woody's, it takes me back to my childhood TV 😁

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2496 on: June 18, 2021, 06:49:55 pm »

click to enlarge

I have never seen a Green Woodpecker, we get plenty of the Lesser Spotted ones in the local park but not the Green ones for some reason. That's cute.  ;D

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2497 on: June 19, 2021, 11:19:58 am »

click to enlarge

Great shots those.

Very distinctive song, green woodpeckers have.

Online Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2498 on: June 19, 2021, 06:21:11 pm »
Managed to see a golden eagle and a white tailed eagle whilst up in Scotland this week, unfortunately unable to take pictures of them. Identifying golden eagles is tricky as the first one I thought I saw was actually a buzzard. However, seeing this explanation really shows the size difference, also the white markings on a buzzard's chest.

Wildlife highlight though was seeing a pine marten run across the road.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2499 on: June 20, 2021, 07:24:30 pm »
Managed to see a golden eagle and a white tailed eagle whilst up in Scotland this week, unfortunately unable to take pictures of them. Identifying golden eagles is tricky as the first one I thought I saw was actually a buzzard. However, seeing this explanation really shows the size difference, also the white markings on a buzzard's chest.

That takes me back when I went to the Cairngorns, that was a great holiday. One of my highlights was going on a walk and watching these two hen-harriers circling above for maybe two hours. They were amazing completely in line with one another, a beautiful display made my day.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2500 on: June 20, 2021, 07:25:54 pm »

Where abouts was that? Where do they live?

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2501 on: June 20, 2021, 07:29:02 pm »

The Eagles are normally in the Highlands, Buzzards are pretty much scattered around Scotland.

Online Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2502 on: June 21, 2021, 07:32:59 am »

The golden eagle was near Loch Eilt and the white tailed eagle was near Castle Tioram. As jill said you can see them in most of the highlands, and apparently Mull is very good for seeing them

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2503 on: June 21, 2021, 08:53:10 am »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #2504 on: June 22, 2021, 06:23:12 pm »
We had a Sparrow hawk swoop upon a group of birds while they were on our feeders in the garden this lunch time. Managed to nab herself a sparrow which she proceeded to crush and stab to death with her claws. Horrible squawks from the poor victim.
Was very conflicted about not going out and stopping it but figured I’d probably be too late to save the sparrow and sometimes you just have to let nature take it’s course. Never seen such an amazing bird that close.

Bird feeders have been quiet for the rest of the day
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2505 on: June 27, 2021, 12:53:21 pm »
Was working in the garage earlier and could hear bedlam outside - there was a pair of Blackbirds swopping down, looked beyond my car which was parked on the road and they were attacking a Magpie. Walks back and then sees the Magpie under my car dragging a bird about, it had what looked like a well developed chick. It then dragged the chick across the road, constantly under attack and pecked it to death. I thought brutal, but nature, but then after killing the chick, the fucking Magpie just flew off and left the dead body. :no

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2506 on: June 27, 2021, 01:04:21 pm »
Was working in the garage earlier and could hear bedlam outside - there was a pair of Blackbirds swopping down, looked beyond my car which was parked on the road and they were attacking a Magpie. Walks back and then sees the Magpie under my car dragging a bird about, it had what looked like a well developed chick. It then dragged the chick across the road, constantly under attack and pecked it to death. I thought brutal, but nature, but then after killing the chick, the fucking Magpie just flew off and left the dead body. :no

Yeah that is annoying but then something will get a free dinner from it mate.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2507 on: June 27, 2021, 02:32:52 pm »

And that, is exactly why I have killed over 15 of the gobshiting sky rats, this season.

Provisioning a Grey Wagtials nest at the moment, in work, with mealworm. Worryingly, first weekend I've not been there so if the nest is gone, then its those fucking gobshite Magpies, once more.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2508 on: June 27, 2021, 05:15:30 pm »
Yeah that is annoying but then something will get a free dinner from it mate.

Probably one of the local cats, one did try and nick it off the Magpie but got scared off by a car.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2509 on: June 28, 2021, 01:56:47 pm »
We had a Sparrow hawk swoop upon a group of birds while they were on our feeders in the garden this lunch time. Managed to nab herself a sparrow which she proceeded to crush and stab to death with her claws. Horrible squawks from the poor victim.
Was very conflicted about not going out and stopping it but figured I’d probably be too late to save the sparrow and sometimes you just have to let nature take it’s course. Never seen such an amazing bird that close.

Bird feeders have been quiet for the rest of the day

It can be really distressing when you see something like that duvva. As they say, nature tooth and claw, but its never nice to witness. It is always really strange after a bird of prey has swooped so weird how everything goes so quiet, it's almost eerie. . The bird feeders will soon swell up again though but hopefully the small birds will more aware of the local sparrowhawk.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2510 on: June 28, 2021, 05:29:20 pm »
It can be really distressing when you see something like that duvva. As they say, nature tooth and claw, but its never nice to witness. It is always really strange after a bird of prey has swooped so weird how everything goes so quiet, it's almost eerie. . The bird feeders will soon swell up again though but hopefully the small birds will more aware of the local sparrowhawk.
Funnily enough today was the first day I noticed some of the baby starlings back, there was quite a few that day so wonder if it was a baby starling rather than a sparrow.
Was actually on a work call at the time and unintentionally ended up giving them a commentary. Think if I hadn’t have been otherwise engaged I may well have gone out there. As horrible as it was the Sparrow Hawk was such a majestic looking bird

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2511 on: June 28, 2021, 07:20:43 pm »
Domestic cat owners are my biggest hatred where birds are concerned. Their "pets" hunt, kill and eat, but they don't need to as they get fed at home. Keep the fucking things indoors, or if you don't think that is fair, don't get one.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2512 on: June 28, 2021, 09:30:27 pm »
Funnily enough today was the first day I noticed some of the baby starlings back, there was quite a few that day so wonder if it was a baby starling rather than a sparrow.
Was actually on a work call at the time and unintentionally ended up giving them a commentary. Think if I hadn’t have been otherwise engaged I may well have gone out there. As horrible as it was the Sparrow Hawk was such a majestic looking bird

Sparrow Hawks are such mad looking birds, it's those angry yellow eyes they have. The first time I saw one he'd caught one of our starlings on the back fence, never forget him throwing feathers everywhere, challenging me to stop him. I wasn't going anywhere near him with those huge talons.  :o

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2513 on: June 28, 2021, 09:57:07 pm »
Sparrow Hawks are such mad looking birds, it's those angry yellow eyes they have. The first time I saw one he'd caught one of our starlings on the back fence, never forget him throwing feathers everywhere, challenging me to stop him. I wasn't going anywhere near him with those huge talons.  :o
This one did exactly that stood there with it pulled all the feathers off then flew off with it

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2514 on: June 28, 2021, 10:20:06 pm »
This one did exactly that stood there with it pulled all the feathers off then flew off with it

I've posted this before, a Wood Pigeon in my garden.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2515 on: June 28, 2021, 11:23:21 pm »
They are brutal but magnificent in equal measure

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2516 on: June 28, 2021, 11:31:50 pm »
I've posted this before, a Wood Pigeon in my garden.

Poor old Woodie. 😒

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2517 on: July 1, 2021, 07:26:59 pm »
And that, is exactly why I have killed over 15 of the gobshiting sky rats, this season.

Provisioning a Grey Wagtials nest at the moment, in work, with mealworm. Worryingly, first weekend I've not been there so if the nest is gone, then its those fucking gobshite Magpies, once more.

You'll fit right in with all the gamekeepers then.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #2518 on: July 1, 2021, 07:28:59 pm »
I've got six pairs of wood pigeons that visit my garden

Love them. So timid. So sweet

Until the couples bump into eachother have a rumble  ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2519 on: July 1, 2021, 07:42:32 pm »
You'll fit right in with all the gamekeepers then.

Not into killing anything unless you intend to eat it, but reading up on Magpies and how they go into songbird nests and just kill the chicks or smash the eggs does make you think nah fuck em serves you right.