Author Topic: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread  (Read 165372 times)

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Sky+ HD / Sky Q Thread
« Reply #760 on: April 6, 2021, 03:51:59 pm »
I used to be able to operate my Sky+ box using the official Sky+ app on my iPhone but I honestly cant seem to find an app for Sky Q. 

So.. You're sat really comfy on the settee and just cannot be arsed to get up to retrieve the remote.  Or perhaps the remote has been eaten by the dog or chucked down the toilet by your grandchild...whatever.

Fear not just download the "Remote for Sky" app.  Its not an official Sky app but its honestly great.  You basically get the identical Sky Q remote control unit displayed on your screen and operate it exactly like you would the actual physical remote.

The lazy bastard typing this very post discovered it last night.  Happy days.

Also great for changing channels when your other half or kids are hogging the remote :)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: May 3, 2021, 09:13:53 am »
Just so you're prepared for it, if you decide to set up a mesh network (might not apply to them all, we have the tp-link M9 plus) it may make your sky q box freeze up and die the second you set up the second satellite, so probs want to look at putting them on ethernet.

There was a lot of swearing in this house yesterday.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #762 on: May 3, 2021, 10:11:14 am »
The Sky kit creates its own mesh on the 5GHz band, had a nightmare with the home WiFi when we had Sky Q and Sky Q Mini. Had devices on the top floor connecting through the Sky Q Mini rather than directly to the router and was causing constant dropouts.

If you need any of your Sky boxes on WiFi, you can disable the 5GHz band in the engineer menu on the Sky box which stops the mesh functionality.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: May 3, 2021, 10:40:43 pm »
I knew it created a mesh for the mini box, just didn’t realise it would clash so much with the deco that it would completely lock it up, as it is putting them on Ethernet seems to be better than it ever was on wifi so no harm done.

Online S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #764 on: May 12, 2021, 05:26:04 pm »
Looking for some feedback. I use Sky for TV. I use BT for internet and BT Sports. Was going through my bills and realised my BT ones are way higher than Sky.

Here's my current setup...

Sky TV - £47 (Includes all Sky Sports channels and the likes of Sky Atlantic etc)
BT Broadband - £49
BT Sport - £33 (Included on my BT bill, not through Sky)
TOTAL - £129

When I phoned Sky, here's what they offered me if I ditch BT altogether. Basically they'll do for £50 (internet and BT Sport) what BT charge me £82 for.

Sky TV - £47
Sky Broadband - £28
BT Sport - £22
TOTAL - £97

That deal seems really good to me. Is it?
What is Sky internet like? I can't complain too much about BT, but Sky have guaranteed at least the same speeds I currently have.
I can't believe how much better Sky have been to deal with in general too.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: May 12, 2021, 06:18:15 pm »
we only have tv so don't know about sky's internet but before you commit to anything, give BT a call and see if they'll make it cheaper, they gave me BT Sport really cheap for ages when Sky were offering it as part of the package just to stay a direct customer.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: May 13, 2021, 11:25:22 am »
Anyone negotiating their deal with sky

Ask about Netflix.  I got Netflix "Premium" (glorious UHD content and multiple devices) through SKY for £5.99p/m.  I was paying £7 direct with Netflix for the bog standard Netflix package.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #767 on: May 13, 2021, 11:50:45 am »

Ask about Netflix.  I got Netflix "Premium" (glorious UHD content and multiple devices) through SKY for £5.99p/m.  I was paying £7 direct with Netflix for the bog standard Netflix package.

I'm falling out with Netflix especially the way they invariably cancel shows after just one season. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #768 on: May 13, 2021, 02:13:17 pm »

Yes its a big saver on the Netflix sub if you have UHD on sky you get the top Netflix package at a pretty reasonable price

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #769 on: May 13, 2021, 05:13:57 pm »
Looking for some feedback. I use Sky for TV. I use BT for internet and BT Sports. Was going through my bills and realised my BT ones are way higher than Sky.

Here's my current setup...

Sky TV - £47 (Includes all Sky Sports channels and the likes of Sky Atlantic etc)
BT Broadband - £49
BT Sport - £33 (Included on my BT bill, not through Sky)
TOTAL - £129

When I phoned Sky, here's what they offered me if I ditch BT altogether. Basically they'll do for £50 (internet and BT Sport) what BT charge me £82 for.

Sky TV - £47
Sky Broadband - £28
BT Sport - £22
TOTAL - £97

That deal seems really good to me. Is it?
What is Sky internet like? I can't complain too much about BT, but Sky have guaranteed at least the same speeds I currently have.
I can't believe how much better Sky have been to deal with in general too.

I got Sky TV in recently. Already have broadband.
Signature TV package with full Sky sports
BT Sport
Ultra HD

£80 a month with £30 credit on my first TV bill.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #770 on: May 14, 2021, 07:19:56 am »
I pay BT £50 - that is for Broadband (fibre direct to property), BT Sports and their version of Entertainment package,( includes NOW tv entertainment).  I pay NOW tv direct £25 per month for Sky sports.

So total £75.

No ultra hd though.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Online S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #771 on: May 14, 2021, 06:28:18 pm »
I got Sky TV in recently. Already have broadband.
Signature TV package with full Sky sports
BT Sport
Ultra HD

£80 a month with £30 credit on my first TV bill.
So yours is even cheaper than mine? That seems like a great deal you've got.

The thing is I'm sort of used to haggling with Sky and yet I got the sense they really wouldn't go any lower than that. I think it's because I've already got a discount applied to my TV subscription. Maybe I'll try get the broadband cheaper though.

Online S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #772 on: May 14, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »
I pay BT £50 - that is for Broadband (fibre direct to property), BT Sports and their version of Entertainment package,( includes NOW tv entertainment).  I pay NOW tv direct £25 per month for Sky sports.

So total £75.

No ultra hd though.
Again, impressively cheap. I'm gonna have to ring them up and quote you two sneaky bastards.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #773 on: June 14, 2021, 11:46:13 pm »

So total £75.

No ultra hd though.

Similar to what I'm doing, but I dont have the direct to door, it was £51 for 6 months, then goes up to £71, but theyve made it around £75 all in for all sports etc. with sky its too expensive couldnt get it below £90.

What barney wrote, doesnt include the broadband I think.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #774 on: June 16, 2021, 09:25:11 pm »
Cancelled last week a month before contract was up , was paying £77 for everything ( Sky q , mini box , HD , multi room , full sport and cinema package except BT sport , Netflix included and they would only offer a new 18 month deal at £84 .

A call before with a guy asking If he can see if he can persuade me to stay , ended up with all of above except the kids tv for £58 a month so well happy with that

Offline Farman

• Heading off for a fruit based orgy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #775 on: July 8, 2021, 11:47:16 am »
Anyone know of any good Sky new customer sign up packages? Lots of good thoughts here for Those negotiating existing packages and therefore with a history to work from but as a newbie it’s hard to know what to grab on to. Must surely be some good deals out there but not seen anything particularly strong. TopCashback are offering £130 cash back for specific packages but those are based on ‘deals’ that are widely available on their website. I’d be looking for full Sky, sports, movies, hd as minimum, plus bt sport, multi room, broadband if they are good value.
The eternal silence of these infinite spaces frightens me

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #776 on: August 1, 2021, 08:01:55 pm »
What does everyone think about this netflix partnership with Sky? I have to admit I was getting my netflix via my work colleague's account. So, it looks as though I will have to pay for it through my Sky account now. How much are people paying for it?

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #777 on: August 1, 2021, 08:06:24 pm »
What does everyone think about this netflix partnership with Sky? I have to admit I was getting my netflix via my work colleague's account. So, it looks as though I will have to pay for it through my Sky account now. How much are people paying for it?
You can just download the app on sky.

Just login on the app using your normal login details. Same with Disney Amazon etc etc.  You can also get Netflix as part of your SKY package though if you want
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: August 1, 2021, 08:14:25 pm »
You can just download the app on sky.

Just login on the app using your normal login details. Same with Disney Amazon etc etc.  You can also get Netflix as part of your SKY package though if you want

Thanks for that.  :thumbup

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #779 on: August 1, 2021, 08:21:36 pm »
Thanks for that.  :thumbup
If you can’t see that app you need to update the software on your box
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: August 2, 2021, 12:17:45 pm »

£6 I think. You've probably got to take something else to get it for that though.

What deals are they doing at the moment? Just seen our contract is ending for the sports package so need ammunition. Ours seems to be out of step cos still in contract for sky signature or something.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: August 2, 2021, 01:25:37 pm »
£6 I think. You've probably got to take something else to get it for that though.

What deals are they doing at the moment? Just seen our contract is ending for the sports package so need ammunition. Ours seems to be out of step cos still in contract for sky signature or something.

When I went into my account they were saying my stuff was getting put into a brand new package, they were offering Netflix for £4.99 I think it was. They have various other deals with movies, children's and the netflix was the main one. But I have since found out I'm paying over the odds, so I'll be pulling a stroppy call on them tonight.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: August 8, 2021, 09:36:02 am »

I cancelled as they wouldn’t match my previous deal of around £76 quid a month I’d been on for 18 months ( SkyQ only with an additional box , this inc the full movie ,box set , sport and cinema package exc Bt ) left it a week then got a call and after a chat dropped the kids tv off my package and offered me £58 a month for 18 months inc Netflix

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: August 10, 2021, 03:13:39 pm »
When you have Sky Q, do they install something on the Sky dish to allow you to get Sky Q? Also if you want to use the old HD box again do you have to change that receiver back on the dish?

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #784 on: August 10, 2021, 04:04:53 pm »
When you have Sky Q, do they install something on the Sky dish to allow you to get Sky Q? Also if you want to use the old HD box again do you have to change that receiver back on the dish?
I don’t think you can. When they install Sky Q they change something on the dish called the LNB which is the bit that sits in front of the dish and picks up the signal, unless it’s changed back I don’t think it would work
Although if swapping the wires etc on the back of the boxes isn’t too much hassle it might be worth a test.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 04:13:07 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: August 10, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »
Sky HD and Sky Q use different LNB’s. There was a time that Sky installed a ‘hybrid’ LNB but I’m not sure if that’s still the case.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: August 10, 2021, 04:21:02 pm »
Ta so i presume you have to get the old one off Amazon or eBay or something?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: August 10, 2021, 05:35:49 pm »
Ta so i presume you have to get the old one off Amazon or eBay or something?
Not sure what you mean, but if you’re talking about the LNB you can probably pick a hybrid one up from Amazon  for £20-30, but unless you know what you’re doing with them you’ll probably need someone to fit it too

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #788 on: August 10, 2021, 08:09:35 pm »
Not sure what you mean, but if you’re talking about the LNB you can probably pick a hybrid one up from Amazon  for £20-30, but unless you know what you’re doing with them you’ll probably need someone to fit it too

Thanks.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #789 on: August 16, 2021, 12:32:20 pm »
Guys. With Sky+ I could use the sky+ app to set my box to record programmes if I was out and about.

My question is. How the hell do I do this with Sky Q?

Cheers.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: August 16, 2021, 12:54:56 pm »
Guys. With Sky+ I could use the sky+ app to set my box to record programmes if I was out and about.

My question is. How the hell do I do this with Sky Q?

Cheers.
I think everything you need is on the SkyGo app now Pete

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: August 16, 2021, 02:17:12 pm »
I think everything you need is on the SkyGo app now Pete

Simple as that Duvvs?

If so...Cheers :wave

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: August 17, 2021, 11:40:08 am »
Simple as that Duvvs?

If so...Cheers :wave

Yes it really was that simple :)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #793 on: August 24, 2021, 10:47:46 pm »
Anyone got a decent deal as a new customer recently?

Moving at start of Sept and considering a broadband/TV deal with them if they’ve got something good.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: August 25, 2021, 05:10:59 pm »
I have just upgraded onto another Sky Broadband deal and they want me to return the old equipment. Has anyone done this before? I'm guessing its just the old hub and cable that needs to be returned?

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: August 25, 2021, 05:19:49 pm »
Yeah historically you owned the Sky equipment but they changed it a few years back. If you don’t return it they will put a hefty charge on your bill.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #796 on: August 25, 2021, 05:20:31 pm »
Yeah historically you owned the Sky equipment but they changed it a few years back. If you don’t return it they will put a hefty charge on your bill.

Thanks for that.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #797 on: August 25, 2021, 06:00:51 pm »
I have just upgraded onto another Sky Broadband deal and they want me to return the old equipment. Has anyone done this before? I'm guessing its just the old hub and cable that needs to be returned?

Yep, for the reason that Graeme mentioned. Should just be the hub from what I remember from when I last did it. They'll probably send you an email specifying what they want back for recycling/reconditioning along with a link to print off a label to return it in the post at no cost to you.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: August 25, 2021, 06:03:40 pm »
Yep, for the reason that Graeme mentioned. Should just be the hub from what I remember from when I last did it. They'll probably send you an email specifying what they want back for recycling/reconditioning along with a link to print off a label to return it in the post at no cost to you.

I have the label, but they didn't specify exactly what they wanted back, I am returning the hub and the old cable they can dispose of it for me.  :D

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #799 on: August 27, 2021, 09:51:40 pm »
Gone with Sky Broadband and earlier installation date was 23rd Sept.

What are the chances of me being able to get an earlier one? And any tips from anyone who has? ta!