Author Topic: What was the greater achievement?  (Read 7102 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: What was the greater achievement?
« Reply #120 on: January 9, 2019, 11:20:45 pm »
Greatest by a player?

Peter crouch’s ability to attract his wife.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: January 9, 2019, 11:22:31 pm »
Greatest by a player?

I wonder what attracted her to the multi-millionaire
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 9, 2019, 11:23:27 pm »
Funny thing is, Chelsea were almost Invincibles in 2004-05. They lost once that season, to Man City. That probably still pisses Mourinho off.  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #123 on: January 9, 2019, 11:26:49 pm »
Agreed.

The best ever achievements in football (IMHO)

1. Notts Forest League winners 78, European Cup winners 79 and 80 (Jesus that is truly unbelievable)

2. Celtic's Quadreble 1967

3. Leicester winning the Prem

4. Denmark winning the 92 Euros

Best ever achievement by a player

1. Samuel Eto'o back to back Trebles with Barca and Inter  :o

Denmark winning when they hadn’t even qualified is a great story but don’t think it’s up there.

They drew 0-0 with a shit England, lost to Sweden and beat France 2-1 late in to sneak into the Semis. They then beat Netherlands on penalties. Beating Germany was decent to be fair!

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: January 9, 2019, 11:30:55 pm »
If Denmark is being thrown in then Greece have to be also. Denmark had a few decent players in their squad. Schmeichel, John Jensen, Torben Piechnik. Couldn't name a Greek with any confidence that he was in that squad.
« Last Edit: January 9, 2019, 11:32:41 pm by Barneylfc »
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #125 on: January 9, 2019, 11:32:11 pm »
If Denmark is being thrown in then Greece have to be also.

Urgh what a bunch of killjoys they were! Beating Portugal was obviously hilarious but I was gutted that Czech team didn’t win it.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2019, 01:20:16 am »
And what. Exams of the German manager of Greece?
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Online Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2019, 01:43:24 am »
Arsenal every time

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2019, 02:52:31 am »
Our 87/88 team was one of the greatest in our history but we went to shite once the League was won. Pretty sure we did similar in the early 80s too.

Arsenal had the League won from a long way out but stayed focussed enough to stay unbeaten.

Admittedly could make a similar case for City stying focussed to get 100 points but I agree with you, one defeat and it’s all over.
82-83, won it with about 6 games to go, and I think lost 5 of the last 6. Otherwise we would have got a points record. And we were beautiful at times that season, it was 87-88 5 years earlier, sublime.

Greatest achievement I would say of the 3 in the OP, definitely Arsenal, a great team to watch, a scary team to anticipate playing, Bergkamp was a magician.

Best of all-time, apart from Shankly lifting us out Division 2, was Nottingham Forest, they worked hard, played football, fought, and would have won far more if it hadn't been for us. The season we got 68 points I think they ended up with 60, and were never close to us.

Huddersfield got 3 in a row in the 1920s, that ought to be considered as a bit special.

But can we all laugh at Leeds and how often they came 2nd? Fancy having Norman Hunter as your bridesmaid 6 times.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2019, 03:15:50 am »
Greatest by a player?

When asked in an interview what he would have been if he hadn't ended up being a footballer, Crouch responded "A virgin!".

True story. Funny bloke is Crouchy.

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2019, 03:19:12 am »
Unbeaten, for me.

But its close. What City achieved points wise last year was incredible. And frankly Chelsea only conceding 15, incredible.
Probably comes down to which team you can stomach the most.

That said, leaving out United's 99 team winning the treble is a bit tough. Think about what Jurgen just did in the FA Cup to try and give us an advantage in the league. Winning all three is a fucking incredible achievement.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2019, 03:21:31 am »
I think City's achievement is clearly tainted since they clearly were cheating. They blatantly broke the FFP rules that other clubs had to follow. To me, it's not much different than using performance-enhancing drugs. Not many would count Lance Armstrong as the greatest athlete of our time, so why should City's achievements matter?

I like their team and style of play, however.

Chelsea also did something similar but at least at that time, there were no FFP rules. Still rank Arsenal's achievement higher. They had 4-5 all-time greats all playing at their prime. 

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2019, 09:33:14 am »
Our 87/88 team was one of the greatest in our history but we went to shite once the League was won. Pretty sure we did similar in the early 80s too.

Arsenal had the League won from a long way out but stayed focussed enough to stay unbeaten.

Admittedly could make a similar case for City stying focussed to get 100 points but I agree with you, one defeat and it’s all over.
few bad ends to seasons alright

1982-3 won the league by 11 points yet lost 5 and drew two of our last 7

1983-4 we won 2 of our last 8. 80 points was a low total over 42 games. probably competing on three fronts took a lot out of us. 67 games that season i think?

i was reading tony evans book and he said our squad got us over the line, united finished 6 points behind and even though they were 4th they were arguably our biggest challengers. every time we slipped up so did they.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2019, 09:41:20 am »
And what. Exams of the German manager of Greece?
otto rehaggel? spelling is off, pronounced ray-ha-gill

greece was some achievement. cant remember much of their team, Nikopolidis in goal? think he was the olympiakos keeper when Gerrard scored in a 3-1 win.

Trainos Dellas was centre back, absolute rock. Zagorakis and Giannakopolos in midfield? they were in the premier league for a while.

Charisteas upfront scored the winner in the final

Denmark winning when they hadn’t even qualified is a great story but don’t think it’s up there.

They drew 0-0 with a shit England, lost to Sweden and beat France 2-1 late in to sneak into the Semis. They then beat Netherlands on penalties. Beating Germany was decent to be fair!

Denmark got drawn in Ireland group to qualify for world cup 94 and Ireland just about squeezed them out. apparently Jack Charlton sent his assistant Maurice Setters to watch Denmark, Setters came back with a video and a note on top that was supposed to be a match report. the report simply read
"they are crap"

huge row between the two until Jack watched the video and agreed
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:43:15 am by Hellrazor »

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2019, 09:43:07 am »
It's all about context isn't it?

Winning the Premier League is a great accomplishment in itself but Leicester winning it is truly remarkable and will go down as one of the greatest sporting achievements ever

Getting 100 points is truly outstanding but with all the money Man City have, it slightly dilutes the achievement for me. Similarly with the £150m+ Chelsea were spending around 04-06 when other teams were around £15-20m per window max. Therefore it has to be Arsenal for me.

If it was an even playing field i'd say the 100 points

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #135 on: January 10, 2019, 12:04:35 pm »
Arsenal's is the greater achievement of the three posited in the OP. They also reached the semis of the League Cup and FA Cup (in both cases they lost to the eventual winner) that seaaon as well as the quarter final of the CL.

Urgh what a bunch of killjoys they were! Beating Portugal was obviously hilarious but I was gutted that Czech team didn’t win it.

Yep that Czech should have won

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 10, 2019, 12:07:51 pm »
Arsenal's is the greater achievement of the three posited in the OP. They also reached the semis of the League Cup and FA Cup (in both cases they lost to the eventual winner) that seaaon as well as the quarter final of the CL.

Yep that Czech should have won
had a bet on them. think nedved was suspended for the semi final which hurt them

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2019, 12:14:29 pm »

City won the League Cup and also got to the CL QF's.

If we're taking all competitions into consideration then the greatest achievement is clearly United in 99, followed by us in 01.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2019, 12:15:36 pm »
had a bet on them. think nedved was suspended for the semi final which hurt them

Was it a Silver goal rather than a Golden one? Think it meant they had the rest of the first half of extra time to equalise but that equates to about one minute. Might just have completely made that up!

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2019, 12:25:31 pm »
Was it a Silver goal rather than a Golden one? Think it meant they had the rest of the first half of extra time to equalise but that equates to about one minute. Might just have completely made that up!
no you are right. think they scored in 105th min so there was pretty much no time to equalize

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 12:15:33 am »
no you are right. think they scored in 105th min so there was pretty much no time to equalize

Wasn't that the only time that stupid rule was ever used?

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2019, 06:06:13 am »
as well as runner up in the community shield.

Is that an achievement?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:56 am »
Wasn't that the only time that stupid rule was ever used?
in internationals yes

ajax i think got one in europe.

it was a bit silly as it only had a 15 min window

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 09:23:01 pm »
Just think how insane our defence has been this year... And just think if it were to match Chelsea's record, we'd need to concede only 5 in the next 16 games to MATCH it.

Surprised there's not many agreeing with me here in fairness.

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2019, 08:28:23 am »
:thumbup

Of the choices, Arsenal gets it for me. Them and Preston (in a very small league) are the only ones to achieve it in England. They may have drawn a lot that season, but no-one could beat them.

Chelseas 15 in a season isn't the record, (0.39 per game) as in 78-79 we only conceded 16 over a 42 game season (0.38), so we still hold it.

100pts is a great amount to record, but they've just lashed money at the team, so I have no respect for what they do. We still twatted them 3 times last season too. I know the home game finished 4-3, but it could easily have been 5 or 6 we scored.

But anything before 1992 doesn’t count. Alan Shearer is the bestest goal scorer ever, Rush never existed. Liverpool have never won the league etc

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2019, 08:38:19 am »

But anything before 1992 doesn’t count. Alan Shearer is the bestest goal scorer ever, Rush never existed. Liverpool have never won the league etc

Neil Peart dislikes this
Better looking than Samie.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2019, 08:43:52 am »
Just think how insane our defence has been this year... And just think if it were to match Chelsea's record, we'd need to concede only 5 in the next 16 games to MATCH it.

Surprised there's not many agreeing with me here in fairness.

Ours in 1978/79 was better, only 16 in 42 games.

Sorry, my mistake - it's the old age, makes me forget that footy didn't start until I was 25.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA