Author Topic: Social Media  (Read 41020 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Social Media - Good/Bad Discussion
« Reply #200 on: August 30, 2019, 11:37:54 am »
Maybe its just me or its something I've just started to notice but my timeline on Twitter is getting more right wing.

Firstly I would like to point out that my political leaning is to the centre left, to summarise who I follow - The Labour Party, The Guardian, Stephen Fry, NHS Million, Liverpool players & the club, comedians in general, that sort of thing.

So normally when I scroll through my timeline, it would be full of Liverpool chat (no problem there), articles from the Guardian, retweets from Owen Jones because of who I follow.  I'd be the first to admit it was very much an echo chamber for what I want to hear and read about.

In this last week, ive started to get tweets in my timeline from right wing knobs and the reason is because other people I follow, follow them, not because the people I follow liked, replied or retweeted them.  for instance i'm getting a lot of tweets from the likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer (fucking objectionable c*nt) and Rees Mogg (fucking objectionable c*nt) and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (fucking objectionable c*nt)

I've given up with Facebook and i'm close to giving up on Twitter....I think my life would be a whole lot better if I just used my phone for Plants vs Zombies and Candy Crush!!!

You can fiddle with your settings to get it back to just a chronological timeline but it's annoying how they put more and more of this shite in with every update.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: August 30, 2019, 12:43:19 pm »
Maybe its just me or its something I've just started to notice but my timeline on Twitter is getting more right wing.

Firstly I would like to point out that my political leaning is to the centre left, to summarise who I follow - The Labour Party, The Guardian, Stephen Fry, NHS Million, Liverpool players & the club, comedians in general, that sort of thing.

So normally when I scroll through my timeline, it would be full of Liverpool chat (no problem there), articles from the Guardian, retweets from Owen Jones because of who I follow.  I'd be the first to admit it was very much an echo chamber for what I want to hear and read about.

In this last week, ive started to get tweets in my timeline from right wing knobs and the reason is because other people I follow, follow them, not because the people I follow liked, replied or retweeted them.  for instance i'm getting a lot of tweets from the likes of Julia Hartley-Brewer (fucking objectionable c*nt) and Rees Mogg (fucking objectionable c*nt) and Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson (fucking objectionable c*nt)

I've given up with Facebook and i'm close to giving up on Twitter....I think my life would be a whole lot better if I just used my phone for Plants vs Zombies and Candy Crush!!!

Worse than that, Twitter recently decided to fill my feed with Man U content for some reason... Had to mute a bunch of them and now it seems to have given up.

Offline bigbonedrawky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: August 30, 2019, 03:19:59 pm »

Youtube has done something similar and changed it's algorithms in an effort to offer an alternative rabbit hole to radicalism  ;) or paint the world in 50 many shades of Grey.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #203 on: August 30, 2019, 03:40:58 pm »

Not noticed that, but when I use the search tab where it brings up tweets by other sportspeople, other comedians etc because of who I follow it sometimes shows tweets by dicks like Piers Moron and the awful Katie Hopkins and classes it as ‘Famous UK tweeters’. I’m getting the pleasure of seeing their horrific teeets just because I follow Jimmy Carr! Just noticed I can edit the settings to stop it coming up but fairly ridiculous that happens in the first place.

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: August 30, 2019, 05:10:09 pm »
Confessions of a fifty plus year old here.

Not a technophobe by any means, but I've never had an account on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any of the other such sites.

I honestly cannot fathom how much time people seem to have to waste on such things, nor how much they care about how their life looks online.

And that's even before the notion of surrendering so much of your personal data to humungous, faceless and secretive American corporations who don't pay any fucking tax, and who allow bullying, racism and general fucking nastiness to exist quite openly on their platforms.

I just don't get it.

What's even more soul destroying is the look you get off people when they ask for your "Facey" details and you tell them you're not on there. It varies from disbelief to pity - its like they can't fathom how you can possibly survive without it. And that's becoming more apparent as time goes on-even from people in my own age group.

Fuck 'em - I'm actually quite proud of being one of the dwindling number of people who won't have anything to do with such things.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: August 30, 2019, 06:34:34 pm »
@Only Me

Although I have created an account with FB, I've never used it. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. And, we are far from alone. In actuality, it is not the favoured platform of the young (they think it is naff), so its long-term future is somewhat questionable. It is not going away anytime soon, but I expect something else will overtake in the not too distant future.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/01/facebook-teens-leaving-instagram-snapchat-study-user-numbers

https://www.techspot.com/news/79082-facebook-rapidly-losing-millennials-us-user-base-down.html

Many, many other articles along the same lines.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Online Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 31, 2019, 01:01:42 am »
@Only Me

Although I have created an account with FB, I've never used it. It doesn't interest me in the slightest. And, we are far from alone. In actuality, it is not the favoured platform of the young (they think it is naff), so its long-term future is somewhat questionable. It is not going away anytime soon, but I expect something else will overtake in the not too distant future.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jun/01/facebook-teens-leaving-instagram-snapchat-study-user-numbers

https://www.techspot.com/news/79082-facebook-rapidly-losing-millennials-us-user-base-down.html

Many, many other articles along the same lines.

Thanks mate.

Interesting articles, but they seem to suggest that people bail from FB only to join other similar platforms.

Also, usage in my age group is increasing.

Find it totally bewildering - they’re worse than fucking sheep. Forgot about the targeted advertising amongst the other ills.

Mad!

Edit: just noticed purely by fluke that today is 7 years to the day that I joined this site, and I still haven't reached 700 posts. This is far and away the site I spend most time on, and I struggle to make 2 posts a a week. Really need to cut down.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 01:08:12 am by Only Me »

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: August 31, 2019, 03:22:39 am »
Facebook is for the older crowd now, and both that and Instagram have completely fucked over their interface, so I'm not surprised people are leaving it in their drives.

Chronological timeline you fucking idiots. It isn't hard.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: August 31, 2019, 06:25:15 am »
Thanks mate.

Interesting articles, but they seem to suggest that people bail from FB only to join other similar platforms.

Also, usage in my age group is increasing.

Find it totally bewildering - they’re worse than fucking sheep. Forgot about the targeted advertising amongst the other ills.

Mad!

Edit: just noticed purely by fluke that today is 7 years to the day that I joined this site, and I still haven't reached 700 posts. This is far and away the site I spend most time on, and I struggle to make 2 posts a a week. Really need to cut down.
I own a fairly popular forum of my own (though not as popular as RAWK) - I post here far more often than I do there. ::) I am here for political discussion really. I've tried it at my own forum - it is just not a sensible proposition. It doesn't have the generally left-leaning membership of RAWK; and too many Americans who are Trump supporters. They are in the firm minority, really, but they are very vocal and it is generally not possible to hold a sensible conversation with them. And, a fraught atmosphere really, really distracts from the purpose of my website. Ergo - we do not allow political discussion at the forum I own. :-X
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 11, 2019, 09:38:44 pm »
When I saw this story, my heart broke for the family. My own cousin died of leukemia when he was 4 and I was 8. My father died of cancer. My grandmother died of cancer. So I understand the grief.

What I don't understand is WHY SHARE THIS ON SOCIAL MEDIA?  I realize that the boy's Mom is terribly sad, and she 100% is trying to do the right thing. But aren't some things meant to be private? If I were dying of cancer, I would not want my relative posting a photo of me near death leaning over a toilet bowl. It's not right, it's just not right. :'(

What kind of society have we become?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/us/childhood-cancer-mom-shares-photo-of-son-trnd/index.html
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 11, 2019, 09:47:18 pm »
@soxfan,

I'll avoid commenting on a specific case, since I do not know what reasons the mother might have had to publish those pictures. But in general, people share far too much of their personal life online. I should say, some people. This end of the social media spectrum (RAWK) is generally fine; conversely, the Facebook/Instagram end is narcissistic shite. Though, I think it is just* a different manifestation of what has always been: some people are issue driven; others are shallow and wallow in their appearance.

* OK. Not 'just'. It is amplified.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #211 on: September 17, 2019, 02:25:00 pm »
Its a good day on Twitter today at least half the trends are anti S*n or about Boycotting it after the Ben Stokes story.

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 17, 2019, 02:42:18 pm »
Here's another sign of how social media destroys people. It's the story of a relatively popular pop singer in the US named Demi Lovato. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi_Lovato

I feel for her as she had (has?) addiction problems and a boyfriend who had committed suicide. Anyway, she's always on social media posting pictures of herself in a bikini, usually at some exotic place. It turns out many of these were photoshopped to some extent to hide her cellulite. Many do this, I suspect.

Anyway, last week she posts a photo that shows her in a bikini in a bathroom showing cellulite, with a message about  how she isn't afraid anymore, it's "empowering" etc. And another one this week. And all of these women and news stories are out proclaiming how "brave" she is.

My question is -- to her and the dozens of "celebrities" like her -- why the heck do you feel the need to post all of those photos of yourself half-dressed? Is that how you value yourself? As someone replied, why don't any of these women post photos of the degrees they've earned instead?

I don't know what's worse -- women like her having zero self-worth, or the millions of young girls defending them on social media for their "bravery" and "empowerment".  The world is fucked.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #213 on: September 17, 2019, 02:51:54 pm »
Plenty of people do post up pics of their academic (or other) achievements, and depending on the celeb it does get media coverage, but I guess a scantily clad good looking woman will get more clicks - hence more media coverage.

I’m not sure a woman (men do it too) posting bikini pics (or any type of pic for that matter) is any indication of their self-worth though.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 17, 2019, 03:06:15 pm »
Yup all part of promoting themselves, 20 odd years ago it was fhm and loaded photo shoots and this is it today

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 17, 2019, 03:49:22 pm »
Here's another sign of how social media destroys people. It's the story of a relatively popular pop singer in the US named Demi Lovato. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demi_Lovato

I feel for her as she had (has?) addiction problems and a boyfriend who had committed suicide. Anyway, she's always on social media posting pictures of herself in a bikini, usually at some exotic place. It turns out many of these were photoshopped to some extent to hide her cellulite. Many do this, I suspect.

Anyway, last week she posts a photo that shows her in a bikini in a bathroom showing cellulite, with a message about  how she isn't afraid anymore, it's "empowering" etc. And another one this week. And all of these women and news stories are out proclaiming how "brave" she is.

My question is -- to her and the dozens of "celebrities" like her -- why the heck do you feel the need to post all of those photos of yourself half-dressed? Is that how you value yourself? As someone replied, why don't any of these women post photos of the degrees they've earned instead?

I don't know what's worse -- women like her having zero self-worth, or the millions of young girls defending them on social media for their "bravery" and "empowerment".  The world is fucked.

Self worth?

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #216 on: September 17, 2019, 04:14:13 pm »

I think self-esteem and approval plays a massive part in many peoples' use of social media. Personally, I avoid it. I have never used Twitter or Facebook and doubt I ever will. The way society is set up sorts of makes it quite difficult to self-validate these days. We see this in counselling all the time. People have lost touch with their own valuing systems and seek value via external approval instead. This basically leaves a person needy. If they feel approved of, they can feel happy, but if they feel disapproved of, they can feel wretched.

Although no fan of the group or their music, I saw a programme the other week on a girl group in the UK called Little Mix. Well, it was more specifically about one member of the group, Jesy Nelson, who was slated on social media for supposedly being ''the ugly, fat one'' in the band. It got so bad for her that she eventually avoided turning up to group commitments, and in her darkest moments she took an overdose and tried to kill herself. At the most successful (career-wise) time of her life, she felt at her lowest.

It was interesting how she also posted lots of pictures of herself on social media, but only when she was heavily made-up and looking 'perfect'. That actually struck me as part of the problem itself. Even she was posting unrealistic pictures up online that other insecure females would feel they had to try to live up to, too. Give her her due, she did acknowledge this in the programme. People are so afraid of looking 'imperfect' that they post only the most glamourous, and often airbrushed, touched-up, photoshopped, pictures of themselves. This makes others feel inadequate, so they do the same. In the end, people think the illusion is real. People only seem to post about the good things that happen in their lives, be they true or made up. They don't talk about the mundane routine of putting the bins out or walking to the school in the rain to pick the kids up. All this highly selective posting gives the impression that everyone is glamourous and living a wonderful life in Utopia, and it's only us who are missing out. No wonder so many people feel inadequate, and deeply unhappy as a result.

Being in counselling is an eye-opener, because you get to counsel these supposedly perfect people with perfect lives, and I can tell you that they are as messed up as everyone else and just as unhappy and unfulfilled. Plenty of those with (subjective, of course) good looks, good jobs/careers, plenty of money, car, house, kids etc feel like utter shit inside and are far from content and happy, and probably a million miles from the image of themselves they portray on social media.

The problem with having to seek external approval in order to feel good about yourself is that the need is never satisfied. It's like trying to fill a bottomless pit. Social media is a risk in that it can bring a person all kinds of 'likes' which help prop-up self confidence and esteem, but criticism can really break you. You can leave yourself open and end up only feeling good about yourself if others approve of you. It gives faceless outsiders an awful lot of power over you if you let it. The proof of this is in how many people have committed suicide over their social media experiences. Counselling attempts to help a person to get back in touch with their own valuing system so they can learn to self-validate and feel ok about being themselves, but the way the world is set up these days it makes it so difficult. Most people are consumed by the desire to gain external approval from others, and social media is one potential avenue for that, although it can turn very negative in many cases too. Basically, people will post what they think will gain them approval. That may be on a conscious or subconscious level.

Airbrushed bikini shots will get many a girl approval, but so too will 'brave' and 'empowering' 'warts and all shots', although for different reasons. I think the bottom line is people just need to be liked and approved of, and if they find it difficult to self-validate, they will seek it via other means. It's sad, but the way of the world these days is all about superficiality. All about how we look, what we have. The crazy thing is that we end up wit so many people pretending they are perfect and lead perfect lives, whilst so many of them are a complete mess inside and are falling apart.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 04:29:59 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24:33 pm »
... Just want to add to my last post ...

It's worth mentioning how society is set up to make us feel needy. Advertising has for so long created a crisis in order to sell us the answers. We are all told over and over again that if we buy this or that, we will be more attractive, more successful, more desirable etc... Advertisers play on the fears human beings all have. They play on our insecurities, they point them out so we feel bad about ourselves, then they tell us their products can fix everything again. Basically, society is set up in a way that first robs you of your self-worth, then it sells it back to you via the products it's selling. They keep you hooked by continually moving the goalposts and changing what we 'need' in order to feel ok about ourselves. This endless mass manipulation leads us to the kind of place we are currently at. An insecure, needy society that is all too keen to buy our self-esteem back from those who prised it away from us in the first place. It also leads to a situation where the external approval others may give us is prized by us more than any approval we may be able to give ourselves.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #218 on: September 17, 2019, 04:32:36 pm »
I think it’s always been human nature to seek external approval, I mean it’s a core emotion given one of the main drivers of human life is attracting a mate.

Social media just gives a way for you to gain external approval from millions at once, rather than just those physically around you.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 17, 2019, 04:56:12 pm »
I think it’s always been human nature to seek external approval, I mean it’s a core emotion given one of the main drivers of human life is attracting a mate.

Social media just gives a way for you to gain external approval from millions at once, rather than just those physically around you.

Oh, definitely. It's human nature to seek approval and to feel like we fit in, especially when we are young, growing up and feeling our way around in the world. But as we mature, if we cannot learn to self-validate we run into trouble. Self-validating doesn't mean only our own opinions matter. It's more about knowing and understanding your worth and being able to feel ok in your own skin. External approval on top of that bedrock is always welcome and nice, but your entire self-esteem does not depend on it.

It's a very painful lesson I had to learn myself, and it took decades to learn it too. Unless we can learn to feel ok in our own skin, we are forever at the mercy of external opinion, and this can lead to all sorts of problems. Chasing external approval excessively is soul-destroying because you lose touch with who you really are. The world is a fickle place, and you cannot please everyone. Some people try to be a hundred different things in order to gain universal approval, but this is impossible. You just end up being a fake person who doesn't know who they really are. You see loads of those in counselling rooms. The best way forward is not to be dictated to by the values of other people, but rather identify your own values and live by them instead. That way, you start to trust in your own valuing system and start to know yourself. Because you are living to your actual values, this builds self-worth too.

I sort of realised at one point that no matter who or what you are, you will be liked by some, hated by some, and the vast majority will be completely indifferent to you. This being so, it's probably best to be liked for what you really are and disliked for what you really are than be liked or disliked for being an illusionary false front you put up. If someone approves of you, that's nice. If not, oh well. At least you can still look yourself in the eye in the mirror and still feel ok about being you, whereas if you build your life on external approval you will forever be a slave to it and the rollercoaster of feelings that entails.

With social media, it certainly does open you up to potentially far more personal approval that you would get from your close circle of family and friends, but it also brings the risk of far more disapproval too. This is one reason so many people lie on it. Also, if a person cannot self-validate, that external disapproval can seriously affect them in a negative way.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 05:00:17 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 18, 2019, 02:13:04 pm »
See that Robertson has deleted his twitter. Good on him.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2019, 02:30:49 pm »
See that Robertson has deleted his twitter. Good on him.
Does anyone know what his reasons for doing so were?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2019, 04:08:54 pm »
Does anyone know what his reasons for doing so were?

Reportedly a load of abuse after the penalty last night.

Social media needs banning.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2019, 04:12:51 pm »

Lead by example?
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2019, 05:05:40 pm »

What is wrong with people?  :butt

To be honest, I'm always amazed that people in the public eye even have Twitter and/or Facebook. Unless they have skin thicker than a Rhino or staff to filter the shite out from the sites, comments are going to get to them at some point. When you consider the amount of professional gobshites out there whose only reason for living seems to be to troll others for kicks, is it really worth it? I've never had Twitter or Facebook and never will, and I'm not in the public eye. If I was, I'd  avoid it all the more. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, once you are on their radar, someone out there will relish giving you a dog's abuse.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 18, 2019, 06:17:24 pm »
What is wrong with people?  :butt

To be honest, I'm always amazed that people in the public eye even have Twitter and/or Facebook. Unless they have skin thicker than a Rhino or staff to filter the shite out from the sites, comments are going to get to them at some point. When you consider the amount of professional gobshites out there whose only reason for living seems to be to troll others for kicks, is it really worth it? I've never had Twitter or Facebook and never will, and I'm not in the public eye. If I was, I'd  avoid it all the more. It doesn't matter who you are or what you do, once you are on their radar, someone out there will relish giving you a dog's abuse.

Agreed. Over the years on forums like this I've seen it play out again and again, people do the bravado thing: "chill out, who cares, it's just the internet" but at a certain point their feelings get hurt. Internet or not we are all still human and there's no point denying that stuff said on here, or twitter or wherever, can get to you. Famous people especially, people can find out about their sick kids or whatever, and use it against them. It's really sad that so many people apparently wake up each day and think, how can I ruin someone's day from the comfort and safety of my living room? I'll never understand it.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2019, 07:08:37 pm »
Agreed. Over the years on forums like this I've seen it play out again and again, people do the bravado thing: "chill out, who cares, it's just the internet" but at a certain point their feelings get hurt. Internet or not we are all still human and there's no point denying that stuff said on here, or twitter or wherever, can get to you. Famous people especially, people can find out about their sick kids or whatever, and use it against them. It's really sad that so many people apparently wake up each day and think, how can I ruin someone's day from the comfort and safety of my living room? I'll never understand it.

Yes, I think we all have our limits, and forums/Twitter/Facebook etc can often find and surpass those limits if we are not careful. I used to post heavily and for quite a few years on a really good, well-run and very well moderated mental health forum and have seen first hand on numerous occasions how people can get badly hurt and deeply affected by comments posted online. That was, by internet standards, a very warm and welcoming place with mostly really genuine and lovely people, but even there, things could get ugly sometimes.

I only post on RAWK these days, although I did have a dabble in my local newspapers online comments sections until I was banned recently. I couldn't believe the amount of horrific hatred, racism, bitterness, fascism and selfishness posted by a lot of people there so I called plenty out on it, so they banned me from posting. Just dipping your toe in comments sections shows just how many utterly vile creatures there are out there. The net is a good thing, but it also gives every moron with a keyboard a platform to look stupid on. If they want to out themselves as morons, then fair enough, but it's the pain they cause others that I have an issue with.

The trolls themselves? Well I think much of it comes from feelings of inadequacy and not feeling they have any real power or influence over their lives. Online, really disturbed people with no life whatsoever can attach themselves to famous people very easily and suddenly have an impact. Like children who don't feel they get enough attention, they will behave increasingly badly until they get the attention they crave. Look at the guy who murdered John Lennon. A total nobody who is now forever linked with a genius and world icon. Trolls online might not carry guns, but they can still hurt and wound with words. They can still impose themselves on the lives of others, famous or otherwise, and I think this helps make them feel that in some way they matter. They have an impact and they are noticed. They may be noticed for being a scumbag, but like publicity, no publicity is bad publicity in their eyes. Social media gives these people an open door into the lives of others, be they famous people or the person down the road.

I think for some, there can be a perverse satisfaction in trying to bring a seemingly happy person down to their level of misery. There can be pleasure gained by making others feel as bad as they feel. A bit like how the jealous no mark keys a Ferrari under the cover of darkness gets smug satisfaction that he has impacted on the life of someone and gets off on the distress the damage has caused the owner. They gain a sense of power simply through knowing they can impact on how other people feel.

Sad really, but trolls are deeply inadequate people who are desperately seeking attention via negative and toxic means.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:12:04 pm by Sons of pioneerS »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2019, 08:18:35 pm »
Mad thing about the tits who give the likes of robbo abuse is that you’d bet any more they don’t hold themselves to the same professional standards (if indeed they have a job) as they do for footballers

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 19, 2019, 07:59:30 am »

Is there any proof of this? All I have seen is people getting outraged over abuse he has got but not seen any abuse from our fans.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 19, 2019, 07:05:28 pm »

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 24, 2019, 01:46:24 pm »
Ok - so not sure if this is the right thread for this, mods remove if required.

I had a huge argument about Piers Moron few days back with a friend when Morgan was ranting on twitter with his anti-Megan Rapinoe tweets. Anyway, today that friend sent me this - https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1176470586689822720

I am disturbed at 2 levels - first I seem to be agreeing with Piers (ugh!). Secondly, and more importantly, emotionally I didn't find it offensive when Rapinoe said that. But yes logically I do see how the statement would be perceived as sexist if a male footballer had said it for say her. What am i missing about my own thought process here?

This might come across as wishy-washy but I am just trying to untangle my own biases here.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 24, 2019, 06:33:10 pm »

I had a huge argument about Piers Moron few days back with a friend when Morgan was ranting on twitter with his anti-Megan Rapinoe tweets. Anyway, today that friend sent me this - https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1176470586689822720

I am disturbed at 2 levels - first I seem to be agreeing with Piers (ugh!). Secondly, and more importantly, emotionally I didn't find it offensive when Rapinoe said that. But yes logically I do see how the statement would be perceived as sexist if a male footballer had said it for say her. What am i missing about my own thought process here?

This might come across as wishy-washy but I am just trying to untangle my own biases here.

It's like punching up vs punching down. VVD is a God among men so talking about his looks does not belittle him in any way. But saying a  female athlete should win an award just because of her looks would be reductive, and would be disrespectful. Women's value in the world has often been defined by their looks over their ability

The idea that anything could belittle Virgil Van Dyke is just pure folly, his noble spirit embiggens us all

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #232 on: September 25, 2019, 03:29:14 pm »
Facebook saying they won't fact check politicians now :O

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 25, 2019, 08:24:05 pm »

id say the equivalent would be a gay male footballer saying that about Alex Morgan for example

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: January 31, 2020, 07:15:33 am »
Seeing how she's serving a temporary ban on Twitter for her usual level of hate.

Great to she her getting the recognition she deserves.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eRIdtMlqwNA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eRIdtMlqwNA</a>
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Crumble

• It's rhyming slang
  • Kopite
« Reply #235 on: January 31, 2020, 09:14:05 am »
Seeing how she's serving a temporary ban on Twitter for her usual level of hate.

Great to she her getting the recognition she deserves.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eRIdtMlqwNA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eRIdtMlqwNA</a>

I was almost starting to feel sorry for Ms Hopkins over this prank. Then she made that acceptance speech. No longer! Deserves all she gets.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Social Media
« Reply #236 on: February 8, 2020, 05:09:52 am »
Needs binning doesn't it?

Bunch of twats the lot of us. The Halcyon days of the world wide web are long over.  :(
:D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
Re: Social Media
« Reply #237 on: February 8, 2020, 07:05:26 am »
...The Halcyon days of the world wide web are long over.  :(

I'm afraid it's been that way for a good few years now.

I've always been of the opinion that the downside of the web is that it has allowed morons throughout the world to connect together and find a collective home, a place for idiocy, conspiracy, ill researched opinion, superstition and malicious invective to coalesce and incubate, and then to allow them to spout their nonsense to the world at large from within the safety of their worryingly large numbers, all as if they are an authoritative source.

And these are often the very same people that if instead you heard them ranting on a street corner you would hurry past and avoid them as being deranged or in need of care and strong medication.

There's an interesting article in yesterdays Grauniad here that's worth a read on the bigger picture of how it's being shaped, along with how it's shaping those who use it.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #238 on: February 8, 2020, 07:15:52 am »
... and yet it helps like-minded people from all corners of the world get together and share ideas and discuss mutual interests.

In the "good old days", the people you socialised with were those who coincidentally loved in the same small geographical region, or happened to go to the same school, or work at he same company, etc.

We all have family, neighbours, work or classmates who are utter bell ends. Social media actually gives people an opportunity to find people who they have far more in common with, other than the chance of geography,

I see people saying twitter is the cesspit of humanity, but I often question who they're following and what they're reading on there. You do have a choice as to what you read and post on twitter, and there are loads of interesting and intelligent people out there.

If you were in a pub and there was an interesting, intelligent bloke who was imparting his knowledge on a particular subject, and also willing to engage in discussion and hear other people's thoughts, then he sounds like a decent person to spend time with. If there's another bloke, spouting shit and being a dullard, would you choose to stand with him for conversation, or the first bloke? The same goes for social media.

You've got a finite account of time, use it wisely. I'd say the technology is rarely to blame, it's how it's used.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #239 on: February 8, 2020, 08:22:57 am »
They call them pubs, in my circles.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family