Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 617903 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Struggling with depression
« Reply #7160 on: June 26, 2020, 10:41:25 pm »
It's so good to hear that you are in a much better place than you have been, Perham.

Enjoy these good times.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #7161 on: June 27, 2020, 12:38:27 am »
It's so good to hear that you are in a much better place than you have been, Perham.

Enjoy these good times.  :)

Good to hear you feeling well Perham.
[emoji106]

Cheers I'm feeling great like most reds I'm just basking in the glory and feeling happier than I've felt in years. A lot of tears but the good kind this time of course.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7162 on: June 27, 2020, 08:07:30 am »
Great to hear mate

People tend to underestimate the impact football can have on people. It’s a pure release. All those opposition fans wanting the season to be voided. I think to begin with, I’d maybe be the same for a few days to wind up my mates. After that, nah. Those who were so vociferous for three months in trying to essentially get football cancelled must just be horribly sadistic and get very little joy out of anything in life. That’s when it flips to the other side (and a there’s a few obvious ones on here) where if the only joy you’re getting is hoping that another club fails then maybe this isn’t the sport for you in terms of mental health.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7163 on: June 27, 2020, 09:33:39 am »
I've been thinking for a while recently that if it wasn't for Liverpool I might have done something very stupid. The late season in 2018/19 I was going through a really tough time with depression for a number of reasons and the only thing that kept me going was watching us every week and hoping that city would slip up. I don't what I'd have done in that period without them. Then things started to get better for me but it started to creep back up on me during lockdown only for Liverpool to come back and win the league and it genuinely blew all my worries away. I feel so happy about us finally getting there after so long. So yeah basically I'm very grateful on a personal level to the team because it's helped me so much through so many tough periods. And thank you as well to all the kind people on rawk who responded whenever I posted here. Life feels good again  :)

I feel exactly like you. I didn't really get how much I'd missed Liverpool until football started up again. Yesterday I watched a video about us winning the league where Jürgen spoke about the meaning of You'll Never Walk Alone. He said something about how that you in your darkest hours are NOT alone. That made me tear up because I've always felt lonely and left out. I've considered suicide multiple times but I refuse to give in. I'm so glad that you feel better mate.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7164 on: June 27, 2020, 09:40:57 am »
100%   I'm so glad I got through it because I couldn't be happier right now. "at the end of a storm there's a golden sky" and all that.

Haha yeah I got it in the half time thread saying I kissed my dog when Pulisic scored last night!

Thank god for that!

On first reading I thought you might be the infamous Dog Bummer of Wrexham.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7165 on: June 27, 2020, 02:10:25 pm »
I've been thinking for a while recently that if it wasn't for Liverpool I might have done something very stupid. The late season in 2018/19 I was going through a really tough time with depression for a number of reasons and the only thing that kept me going was watching us every week and hoping that city would slip up. I don't what I'd have done in that period without them. Then things started to get better for me but it started to creep back up on me during lockdown only for Liverpool to come back and win the league and it genuinely blew all my worries away. I feel so happy about us finally getting there after so long. So yeah basically I'm very grateful on a personal level to the team because it's helped me so much through so many tough periods. And thank you as well to all the kind people on rawk who responded whenever I posted here. Life feels good again  :)

A medical expert might say you are daft but I know exactly what you mean.

There's a comedian called Bill Burr who has a podcast where listeners write in with their problems. I can't remember the exact wording of the letter but it was someone who was depressed and lonely after a break up (and he supported the Red Sox).

Bill's reply was to make him think of all those championships his team was going to win in the future, all those moments of glory you don't want to miss out on, and that he might meet a Red Sox girl at a bar during one of those victories and then life is everything he ever could want again.

He's a comedian but something in that really resonated with me. I can remember exactly where I watched every final we've ever played in in my lifetime. Each one in different surroundings, with different people, at different stages of my life. Each victory carried me through the next year, each defeat taught me something about my resilience.

Football isn't everything but it's always there. When we won the title, it made me reflect on all the Liverpool supporting friends I've made in my life, some who I've lost contact with. I reached out to the ones I could just to let them know that they've been an important part of my journey, my life.

I've no doubt there will be tough days in the weeks and months ahead but I have an extra memory in the bank to dust off when I'm feeling lost.

The sense of community I feel with this win has made me look ahead and keep walking through any future storms. I felt the same way in Madrid last year, there was a community bigger than any season, any cup run, firmly grounded and never to be shaken.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7166 on: June 27, 2020, 05:04:47 pm »
Thank god for that!

On first reading I thought you might be the infamous Dog Bummer of Wrexham.

Efes has a new account?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7167 on: June 27, 2020, 09:43:40 pm »
First half of 2019 was very tough for me, a shit job with people I despised, dating life sucked badly, I was in a bad place really and it caused me to have an anxiety induced panic attack one time in a pub.

Then I left my job, went back home for a month, returned to a new gig which sounded promising. I started going out more, meeting and talking to new people. Got into a relationship and things seemed to be on the up, only for the fucking pandemic to hit. I got laid off because when you reduce your workforce by almost half, you let go of the newer people first. I broke up with the ex, because how dare I not commit to a wedding date in the middle of a pandemic when I am jobless and saving any money I get from unemployment and every job I interview with, I get the same standard automated response of them deciding to move on with another candidate only to see the job re-posted again, a couple of days later. It is fair to say that I am in a much worse position than I was at the start of 2019.

On top of that, some people who I considered close friends have been nothing but arseholes during the whole lockdown thing, only checking in when they want a favor and never calling or texting otherwise even when they know of the shit I am going through. They don't even bother returning my calls or texts, either. Others got stuck back home and can't fly back to the US and with my state still having lockdown rules, I am stuck in the house, bar going for a two hour walk a day, I can't do any activity that would get me out of this mess like playing footie or going to the gym.

Don't get me wrong, I am so happy we won the league, but when I met a couple of friends, who also support us, after we won it, I felt like I am pretending to be happy more than actually being happy which is scary because I haven't wanted something more than seeing us win the league for like 20 years. I honestly don't know what am I going to do and the uncertainty and being stuck at home, is killing me and it is killing any motivation I have to do anything, even the stuff I love, I am not bothered to do right now.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline spen71

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7168 on: June 27, 2020, 09:48:34 pm »
I’m really struggling at the moment.   My dad died in March,   I coped quite well until the last two weeks.  His birthday, Father’s Day and then us winning the league.   I’ve been crying non stop since Thursday.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7169 on: June 27, 2020, 10:52:15 pm »

It sounds like you were working hard to change your life, doing all the right things but got blindsided by the pandemic. The lack of motivation to do what you love sounds familiar to me. When it was me, there was a guilt involved, I couldn't let myself enjoy certain things when there were such obvious holes in my life. The pandemic can't be helped, it just has to be waited out but you will get through it.

The isolation is the tough part, the only way to minimise that is plenty of calls/texts to loved ones. I've started playing more online games with family recently which helps.

The pandemic has brought both the best and worst out in people. Your friends sound like they are too busy dealing with their own shit but it's not too much to expect a text. It's a good time to re-evaluate who the important people in your life are. Hang in there, the worst part of the lockdown is in the rear mirror.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7170 on: June 27, 2020, 11:11:36 pm »
I’m really struggling at the moment.   My dad died in March,   I coped quite well until the last two weeks.  His birthday, Father’s Day and then us winning the league.   I’ve been crying non stop since Thursday.

Sorry for the loss of you dad. Anniversaries are tough normally but having them so close together is especially painful. Then adding in the league win, another real reminder of your dad.

It's difficult but try to focus and hold close all the times you spent together both over the football and throughout your life. The league win did not define the 30 year journey prior just like death does not define life.

Your emotions are bound to be all over the place with this alone, nevermind adding in all the other stresses of the world at the moment. Take care of yourself.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #7171 on: June 30, 2020, 11:43:25 am »

Its rough mate, know what you're going through. Its been 14 months since I lost my mum and I find grief comes in waves, anniversaries, after a shit day in work, quiet times at home. Your mind can be a bastard sometimes. Best advice I can give you is talk to your family and friends, your good mates especially, the people who know you best.

Goes without saying if you want a impartial ear then just send me a message on here.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #7172 on: June 30, 2020, 05:31:06 pm »
Found it hard to celebrate the title to be honest.. having watched football with my brother for over two decades, the year we won the darn thing my brother has moved to a different country... didn't think I'd get so emotional about it talking to him over the phone about the League win.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7173 on: July 6, 2020, 11:38:56 pm »

It's tough. My old man died in 2008 but football was what we bonded over. The European cup final was tough last year but we'd had Istanbul before he died. I was ten the last time we won the league so this year would have been special for us both. I've had a few tears this season, but we owe it to everyone who is no longer with us to enjoy it.

Whether it's my old man, yours, someone else's sister, the 96.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7174 on: July 7, 2020, 11:13:47 pm »

It takes awhile for it all to come out Spen.

I lost our kid in the May ( 2017 )  then the Hillsborough thing came out in late June then his birthday was a week later and that's when it all got me . You will learn to cope with it mate , trust us on that one. In the meantime though grieve like fuck as it's the ony medicine for grief.
« Last Edit: July 7, 2020, 11:15:51 pm by kesey »
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7175 on: July 20, 2020, 11:05:40 am »
Sending hugs to everyone.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7176 on: July 27, 2020, 06:34:06 pm »
Not depressed but feeling down as I started a new job in January and left in April by going back to my old job but now I’m starting to feel like I made a mistake and shouldn’t have went back and should have gave it more time! So annoyed with myself!

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #7177 on: July 29, 2020, 12:45:05 pm »
Lockdown has been extremely harsh. As I mentioned in the Working from home thread, we were working from home til a few weeks ago, when my suicidal thoughts not just during the evening but during work time just got too much. I emailed my GP, and they immediately emailed me a four week sick note.

I am in the process of waiting for an face to face for a psychiatric assessment - they said that that would be this week, but alas nothing as of yet - which is causing me anxiety as I feel I need to sort it out now.

I had an occ health appointment yesterday, and they agreed with the GP that I'm not fit for work at the moment, but with lockdown seeming to me probably going to be ongoing for the foreseeable and WFH here to stay - certainly for my business, I feel like I'm in an impossible position.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline evie

• "Might have to think about it for a bit, k? No! That's not what I meant! Damn....." Prefers to hold it in.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7178 on: July 31, 2020, 09:21:01 pm »
Having a bit of a crap day. Feeling lonely. I've been on sickleave and, for the past few weeks, on holiday, since i broke my right ankle in May, but starting work again on Wednesday. People just don't give a shit. Basically no one has got in touch to ask how I'm doing. I must be really unpopular.
I've started working towards my longterm goal of becoming a marine biologist. Baby steps. I need some more classes before I can apply. Right now I'm taking a mathclass. It's what keeps me going. And I will prove to myself that I'm not as useless as I've always thought.

It just really, really feels like no one gives a shit and it hurts.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7179 on: July 31, 2020, 09:35:53 pm »
Basically no one has got in touch to ask how I'm doing. I must be really unpopular.

You mustn't feel like that evie, don't take it personally. Work life and work people is/are often unfathomable. I can guarantee you as a manager of about 120 staff the issue you're going through is often overlooked unless you're really lucky to have amazing work colleagues.
My point is in general work colleagues will like you but (a) don't know what to say and (b) something which is really, really missed by so many people, they all go home to their own mad, manic lives and forgetting to message you isn't an insult or purposely neglectful. Honestly.

And managers lives can be hectic. There's no excuse for not considering peoples well being, I'm involved in a huge well being drive at the moment. But sometimes stuff goes off your radar. It won't be personal.

Keep in touch in here, it's a great place for understanding.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7180 on: July 31, 2020, 10:56:15 pm »
Having a bit of a crap day. Feeling lonely. I've been on sickleave and, for the past few weeks, on holiday, since i broke my right ankle in May, but starting work again on Wednesday. People just don't give a shit. Basically no one has got in touch to ask how I'm doing. I must be really unpopular.
I've started working towards my longterm goal of becoming a marine biologist. Baby steps. I need some more classes before I can apply. Right now I'm taking a mathclass. It's what keeps me going. And I will prove to myself that I'm not as useless as I've always thought.

People are wrapped up in their own shit. It's not a reflection of you if they dont contact you.
You seem to have self esteem issues (I understand those)..
The thing is you dont need to achieve anything to prove you're not useless, that's blindingly obvious to any of us that aren't caught in the fog you're currently in.  Keep in touch here, there's lots of good people who can help.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7181 on: July 31, 2020, 11:35:52 pm »

You can message me anytime.  I'm often concerned about intruding on other people which means I don't always say hello when perhaps I should.  I really hope you enjoy the classes.  It's always nice to be really passionate about something. :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7182 on: August 1, 2020, 09:43:52 pm »
You mustn't feel like that evie, don't take it personally. Work life and work people is/are often unfathomable. I can guarantee you as a manager of about 120 staff the issue you're going through is often overlooked unless you're really lucky to have amazing work colleagues.
My point is in general work colleagues will like you but (a) don't know what to say and (b) something which is really, really missed by so many people, they all go home to their own mad, manic lives and forgetting to message you isn't an insult or purposely neglectful. Honestly.

And managers lives can be hectic. There's no excuse for not considering peoples well being, I'm involved in a huge well being drive at the moment. But sometimes stuff goes off your radar. It won't be personal.

Keep in touch in here, it's a great place for understanding.

Yeah, I get that people are busy, but how difficult is it to send a text message? That's what I do, because I care. Even if I'm busy. It doesn't even take 30 seconds. That's why I doubt that people care.

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7183 on: August 1, 2020, 09:52:43 pm »
People are wrapped up in their own shit. It's not a reflection of you if they dont contact you.
You seem to have self esteem issues (I understand those)..
The thing is you dont need to achieve anything to prove you're not useless, that's blindingly obvious to any of us that aren't caught in the fog you're currently in.  Keep in touch here, there's lots of good people who can help.

Yeah, when I'm down I seem to think that everyone is happy but me. Clueless really. My self esteem IS pretty shit. It has always been like that.
To me, I feel I have to achieve things. When I think of what people around me are doing. But I'm not studying just to prove a point but to try to do what I feel is my passion.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7184 on: August 2, 2020, 02:46:44 pm »

I think it's poor form that no-one has reached out to you (depending on the length of time). Even the workmates I'm not particularly fond of, I'd reach out in such a case. It says more about them than it says about you. I'm sure people will be glad to see you back though. Maybe the loneliness will subside when you go back in.

Pretty inspiring that you are taking steps to do Marine Biology, I take it that would be a career change? That's a really positive move to follow a passion and make a real difference to the planet.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #7185 on: August 2, 2020, 02:57:12 pm »
There's no escape
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7186 on: August 2, 2020, 03:55:51 pm »
Yeah, when I'm down I seem to think that everyone is happy but me. Clueless really. My self esteem IS pretty shit. It has always been like that.
To me, I feel I have to achieve things. When I think of what people around me are doing. But I'm not studying just to prove a point but to try to do what I feel is my passion.

Off topic a bit but I've just started re-reading 'Cannery Row' whose lead character is a marine biologist in California. You won't necessarily learn a great deal about marine biology but it's a great little read.

And about people contacting you - don't take it personally. My wife gets a bit down when she has to ring up our kids to see what's happening and is disappointed that they don't take the initiative more often. It doesn't bother me as they usually want money, kids babysitting or to borrow something.

Other people's lives often look wonderful until you see beneath the surface. Concentrate on yourself and be a bit more selfish.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #7187 on: August 2, 2020, 04:57:29 pm »
I'm only on my phone so can't really do a proper post on this topic at the moment, but just wanted to say I'm sorry to hear some are struggling just now.

Hopefully things improve for you all very soon.

Just a couple of quick comments. One is that I think that things have been so tough this year on a global scale. An awful lot of people have withdrawn, and often unwittingly so. By that I mean everyone has been under so much stress and anxiety that most of us have gone into self protection mode and have pretty much been consumed with getting ourselves and our immediate families through this pandemic and the mess it's causing.

I'm quite on the ball with making sure I keep in contact with those I care about, but I've noticed that I, too, have pulled back a lot and have been concentrating on immediate issues with immediate family. I've actually had to really discipline myself to stay in contact with others I deeply care about but are not immediate family. It's not been anything personal. Just a sort of natural reaction to extraordinary global as well as personal circumstances.

Bottom line? Just because people aren't in contact just now doesn't necessarily mean they don't care or they don't value you.

Also, contact always works both ways. We may feel others aren't reaching out to us, while they are sat at home wondering why we haven't contacted them either. That's just a general observation, and not aimed at anyone specifically in this thread.

Second comment is on thinking everyone else's life is hunky dory and it's just us feeling ours is shite. Well trust me on this, as a counsellor I and my partner (also a counsellor) have seen lots of people who would seem to have it all, yet feel they have nothing of worth. The world is full of people who are bluffing confidence. Full of people with rock bottom self esteem. These people come from all walks of life and, on the surface, many appear to have everything sussed.

There are people who have great partners, lovely homes in lovely areas. No money worries, kids, good jobs etc but who are empty inside and feel like shit. Looking from the outside, you'd never know they didn't have the 'perfect lives' but many are dying on the inside.

Honestly, I used to think I was the biggest fucked up mess on planet Earth. The one sat at home wracked with anxiety, depression and chronically poor self esteem. It took me decades to finally realise that much of the planet feel exactly the same from time to time.

It's part of the human condition. We think it's just us, but it's not.

Take care everyone.

Edited for the usual phone autospell nonsense.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2020, 05:40:27 pm by Son of Spion* »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7188 on: August 2, 2020, 07:16:32 pm »

Try not to take it personally, but people are just thoughtless normally and with all the shit going on in the world, they tend to focus on themselves even more. I was on furlough for 9 weeks and got 2 calls, the missus has been on furlough since middle of March and hasn't heard a thing. Some employers are just shit.

However, if you need to talk to people who care, this thread is the place for you. You will find a sympathetic ear, support, people to chat to and vent to and no-one will judge you. I've found this thread extremely helpful.

Take care
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7189 on: August 2, 2020, 07:36:40 pm »
I think it's poor form that no-one has reached out to you (depending on the length of time). Even the workmates I'm not particularly fond of, I'd reach out in such a case. It says more about them than it says about you. I'm sure people will be glad to see you back though. Maybe the loneliness will subside when you go back in.

Pretty inspiring that you are taking steps to do Marine Biology, I take it that would be a career change? That's a really positive move to follow a passion and make a real difference to the planet.

Thanks! I feel inspired. Especially when I watch documentaries about how amazing the nature is. Yeah, I've been working in health care for a long time and need a change.

Offline evie

• Legacy Fan
  • Hero
« Reply #7190 on: August 2, 2020, 07:40:18 pm »
Off topic a bit but I've just started re-reading 'Cannery Row' whose lead character is a marine biologist in California. You won't necessarily learn a great deal about marine biology but it's a great little read.

And about people contacting you - don't take it personally. My wife gets a bit down when she has to ring up our kids to see what's happening and is disappointed that they don't take the initiative more often. It doesn't bother me as they usually want money, kids babysitting or to borrow something.

Other people's lives often look wonderful until you see beneath the surface. Concentrate on yourself and be a bit more selfish.

Yeah, I try to not take it personally. It's difficult sometimes though.

Online damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7191 on: August 2, 2020, 08:19:36 pm »
Thanks! I feel inspired. Especially when I watch documentaries about how amazing the nature is. Yeah, I've been working in health care for a long time and need a change.

Health care to marine biology, both suggest your moral compass is in the right direction. I can't imagine it will be easy being closer to the damage humans are doing so all power to you.

When you see what has happened to the Great Barrier Reef and with all the over fishing and plastic in the water, it's never been a more critical field.

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'à quoi bon ?'
« Reply #7192 on: August 6, 2020, 07:22:00 am »
I've suffered from depression on and off for the past decade or so, and I'm positively frightened how the following months play out.

My father passed away last month suddenly, while I have been stuck abroad for work and haven't been able to fly home yet. I've had to wear the mask while talking with friends and family, as my mother and sisters have crumbled. I will need to relocate home and help settle the estate and other affairs before thinking of the future.

To be honest, the fact that Liverpool won the league all seems pretty meh. Life is fucking tough and football is irrelevant.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7193 on: August 6, 2020, 08:46:30 pm »
I've suffered from depression on and off for the past decade or so, and I'm positively frightened how the following months play out.

My father passed away last month suddenly, while I have been stuck abroad for work and haven't been able to fly home yet. I've had to wear the mask while talking with friends and family, as my mother and sisters have crumbled. I will need to relocate home and help settle the estate and other affairs before thinking of the future.

To be honest, the fact that Liverpool won the league all seems pretty meh. Life is fucking tough and football is irrelevant.
Very sorry for your loss mate, that can't be easy to say the least. Hope life starts picking up for you sooner rather than later.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7194 on: August 6, 2020, 08:58:37 pm »

Keeping you in my thoughts, mate.

Popcorn's Art

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #7195 on: August 10, 2020, 08:27:40 pm »
I'm not depressed but now I've got a good new job I've had negativity and being insulted from everyone to my neighbour to my sister

It seriously makes me question everything. I'm not depressed, but I do clinically have depression. Nobody bar a couple of amazing friends in my life seem to understand if you rock my boat hard enough I fall over the side into that black sea.

Hell is other people.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7196 on: August 10, 2020, 09:37:24 pm »
I'm not depressed but now I've got a good new job I've had negativity and being insulted from everyone to my neighbour to my sister

It seriously makes me question everything. I'm not depressed, but I do clinically have depression. Nobody bar a couple of amazing friends in my life seem to understand if you rock my boat hard enough I fall over the side into that black sea.

Hell is other people.

Why are you being insulted because you have a new job?

Are they jealous?

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7197 on: August 10, 2020, 09:58:32 pm »
Why are you being insulted because you have a new job?

Are they jealous?

I struggle with the answer. It's not a load to be jealous of, since while it is boss it either ends in a few months when the work-from-home Lockdown ends, or entails moving to London on a very low wage albeit in a job I find absolutely happy

Neighbour had a go at me in the boozer, saying I've wasted the last few years (the timeframe was since he moved in, so I'll just talk about that period). During which I moved back into my parents' to take care of my mum as my dad couldn't cope and my sisters were busy raising families, when she got the cancer which eventually killed her, shattering me and my family in the process. Then less than two years later my brother in law was killed by a bad driver who never said sorry to the family and did less than 6 months for taking away the daddy of a little girl, my heart was broken by my niece jumping up saying "daddy?" every time I went round, and wouldn't you know it, the case made the papers and nutcase American religious groups started sending me and my sister death threats on Twitter because I was quoted in a newspaper supporting her decision to take him off life support as he had less than 15% brain capacity and was comatose with no way out. I came shining through there as well. That sister and me are close. I can do no wrong there; she is my best friend.

And then you add the Universal Credit bollocks I've moaned about enough on here, the apex was them not paying me for 6 months due to an IT glitch and me having to go absolutely nuclear, and somehow managing to get on the Vicky Derbyshire show to warn people about the Tories and hold up a mirror to my absolutely wrecked non-life to throw warnings out about Universal Credit which, well, look at the last election result...

My other sister took us out for a meal tonight, and ruined it for me by going into a big angry tirade about how there is no possible way I could move to London and it's not going to happen. Mayyybe, but I'm not soft, I already thought I'd just try to get what I can from this situ. When all I said was I'm happy with the job but it is technically based in London and I got it because of the work from home situation we all contend with. I suspect it's because my dad is showing small but worrying signs of dementia and I'm currently looking after him. I haven't lived in years, I won't abandon him but we can't currently get my dad seen anyway and he's not *that* bad. Could be nothing, yknow? Honestly difficult to tell, he's in his late 70s.

My neighbour's tirade got very personal including claiming I "made up" my depression because he "doesn't believe in it" (I even saw a psychiatrist about it, who was gracious enough to point out 1) it's grief more than anything and 2) medicating depression is one thing and I can always take the roue but I did seem to have actual genuine reasons to be unhappy and I didn't seem a risk to anyone, even myself. She said I was clinically depressed, but to think deeply about it, and I never quite concluded that a course of citalopram could help my specific problems, which weren't mood. This is grim, but sometimes I reckon it is perfectly appropriate to find a bad enough situation depressing.)

So to my neighbour, I reject it out of hand - I've lost a friend there, but I was happy and he just tore me down out of nowhere after years of being sound, he got really vicious, claiming you can "shrug off" depression (or grief), I take sacrificing things to help my mum very personally (who wouldn't?) and don't particularly appreciate being called a "loser" because I didn't, as he suggested, "just go out into the world and let it take care of itself" as I seriously think that would have been abandoning my family.

And my sister, I can ask only this: What am I supposed to do? I've tried for years now to get permanent work in the north west. It isn't happening. I have a promising new job that might mean I have to risk things but it feels so stark: I either fall out with my family, or stay absolutely tied to a nowhere town where think I might actually rather die than grow old here and I wish that wasn't my overriding though every day.

I resist thinking I'm depressed as don't see how medication would solve these problems: I also don't think I'm doing anything wrong. The way I see it, mate: I had a bad few years. Some of the things are what we all go through (everyone, sadly, sooner or later will experience losing a parent). Some was extraordinary and fluke-level awful. And job stuff, much as I hate to let the Tories off with Universal Credit, there are worse off than me and I survived and yes I work now in a great job and I was flying until other people decided to butt in with their judgements on my life.

Isn't it what you're meant to do? Work to go out on your own? Why am I still here? Lack of opportunity. So why is it suddenly worth having a go at me for, now it looks like I could leave to what's possibly a bad idea anyway but I'm tired of being afraid?

I don't care if I'm a loser. I don't care if other men would've fucked off to avoid their family tragedies. It ain't me, babe. And I resent the lack of choices: when I'm out of work, it's "get any job". When I DO get "any" job, it's "but but you can't go your own way". My own way is just getting a steady job and living somewhere else to be happy. I don't have kids, I'm not married, I'm free, surely?

A strong part of me this time is thinking: fuck 'em, I've done my bit. I want to and will make sure my dad is not in peril (he is showing some worrying signs of memory loss and mood swings) which has been made infinitely harder to manage with the Corona monstrosity.

I'm just wondering what it will actually take to not have people have a go at me for wanting what other people have.  I want to live somewhere else. I want to meet new people. I want to bury this part of my life for good. I'd understand any resentment if I was a massive paedo or a criminal or something. I want to shore my dad up, and if he's not OK that's a different situ, but fast just hating the idea of telling anything to anyone.

Which really isn't me, so that's why I'm posting here. Because fuck it, I've had a horrible, horrible decade and I really don't see why anyone should have a pop at me. Strangers, Twitter, forums - I get it. Friends? Family?

Is it because it seems I might actually vanish and get on with my life? Struggling for an answer here. I mean, it would even be better if I wasn't so fucking miserable about it. Honest to god, though, I was so happy I'd gotten a job I really wanted - and that's when I'm brought low, as soon as I smile.

So maybe it is jealousy. Because in my best moments, and thank god I do have friends and even strangers who see this, I've faced down an awful lot of shit these past few years. Maybe the fact I can restart my life elsewhere (probably) is what's making me a sudden target?

Right now the light has gone out a bit: my next move will surely piss off someone. Myself if nobody else. Fuck the neighbour,  something is up there; I'm really just really hurt one of my own family can't see what it's doing to me. It's not like they weren't around to see the facts first hand.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:28:39 pm by ToneLa »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7198 on: August 10, 2020, 10:36:11 pm »
Blimey! I wouldn't know where to start on all those layers of complexity.

But the last person I'd worry about is the ignorant neighbour. Easy for me to say but if the job is what you want to do give it a go.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7199 on: August 10, 2020, 11:03:59 pm »
Blimey! I wouldn't know where to start on all those layers of complexity.

But the last person I'd worry about is the ignorant neighbour. Easy for me to say but if the job is what you want to do give it a go.

Haha, cheers fella, I do feel better for having written it down and someone being as baffled as I am is absolutely fair dos :)

And yeah, no part of me will regret telling the neighbour where to go, explaining at volume how I used to work in a mental health Trust and how regardless what stupid bullshit he thinks about me, his opinions on depression are total fucking dreck

Much love to anyone who posts in this thread having troubles lately. Don't worry about me. If any of what I've said sounds appalling and horrible, well, I did find a way out. Nothing is forever. You grasp the good times because they're fleeting, and you survive the bad times because they're fleeting too.

T
X