Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 273995 times)

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
A lovely gesture and indicates why they have been such a success...customer care.

Brewdog are complete arseholes with good PR. I say that as someone from Aberdeen who used to like having a local company doing so well.

There was the time they removed the disabled toilet from their flagship bar in Aberdeen to make more room (but were forced to put it back in by the council) Then there was the time they sued a pub in Wolverhampton I think, for being called Lone Wolf, which is the name of Brewdogs spirits division, despite the fact they had used the name for far longer. Then there was the time they tried to bully Aberdeenshire Council into selling them land on the cheap, threatening to cancel expansion plans if they didn't. There are more stories like this, all while claiming to be punks.....

The one good thing they have got going for them is they make in my opinion the only non alcoholic beer that actaully tastes nice (Nanny State). Every other one I have tried has been at best, just about drinkable.

Check out Fierce Beer, Brewmeister or Deeside Brewery if you want good beer from Aberdeenshire that isn't made by a bunch of twats.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:19:55 pm by elmo_swatloski »

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com

Lovely Italian beer, can't find it in the Uk tho
YNWA

Offline hixxstar

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont Worry I'm From The Internet
Lovely Italian beer, can't find it in the Uk tho

Coventry ....  8)   several others too.. ... google ... ichnusa uk  ..  :wave

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/ichnusa-24x33cl
Shanks on Leaving Liverpool FC

"It was the most difficult thing in the world, when I went to tell the chairman........ It was like walking to the electric chair.... That's the way it felt."

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kona big wave

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
Coventry ....  8)   several others too.. ... google ... ichnusa uk  ..  :wave

https://www.adimaria.co.uk/ichnusa-24x33cl
I can't sign for deliveries  :P
YNWA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
Brewdog are complete arseholes with good PR. I say that as someone from Aberdeen who used to like having a local company doing so well.

I don't doubt your experiences, sound poor. Just thought my story showed them in a good light.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
One of the best value beers out there in both Tesco and Sainsbury's stores is Leffe Brune (or Blonde if you prefer) @ £3 a 75cl bottle. Love the rich tangy taste of brune
 but the blonde isn't to my taste. Mmmmm got two in the cupboard - don't think they'll stay there overlong.
Come on Johnno if you are going to drink Belgian Beer then get something other than mass produced crap like Leffe ;)

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Come on Johnno if you are going to drink Belgian Beer then get something other than mass produced crap like Leffe ;)
Off to Belgium in Feb, any recommendations Pheeny? (avoiding the mass produced stuff)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Off to Belgium in Feb, any recommendations Pheeny? (avoiding the mass produced stuff)
was going to say duvel but not sure if it falls into that category or not

its bloody rocket fuel. i like it but other beers are better

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Recommend me a good beer subscription! Bored of Beer52's stream of ales/IPAs, want to move onto beers (Belgian's my favourite but German/Czech/Polish etc)
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Recommend me a good beer subscription! Bored of Beer52's stream of ales/IPAs, want to move onto beers (Belgian's my favourite but German/Czech/Polish etc)
there was a porter/stout selection i got from beer hawk

15 bottles for 40. some excellent stuff in it
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues

I'm a Naked Wines subscriber for the wine (it's basically a savings account I use to get mum/aunty massive Christmas boxes) but their quarterly beer boxes are, to my mind, better than Beer52 in price and variety, plus you get beers (they claim) brewed exclusively for Naked's boxes.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
was going to say duvel but not sure if it falls into that category or not

its bloody rocket fuel. i like it but other beers are better

Yeah I think it probably falls into the same category HR. I had one in the pub last year just for a change and was surprised how much I enjoyed it. But I reckon it’s exported everywhere so must be a huge set up, like leffe.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
Hard to beat the Rochefort stuff if going Belgian IMO. Rochefort Trappistes 10 probably my favourite of the lot.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Duvel is fine,drink it myself on a warm summers day.

As for any other drinks then the ones listed here are rather good

Hard to beat the Rochefort stuff if going Belgian IMO. Rochefort Trappistes 10 probably my favourite of the lot.

But you should also try one of the "local" beers and should just ask the waiter as micro brewery's are popping up everywhere these days.

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Duvel is to strong for me if im on a night out,tastes great but is the only beer which really nails my hat on after say 5-6,i mainly stay to the dark beers like Grimbergen Optima. The 2 percent difference is massive after a few as ive found out struggling to put one foot infront of the other after session.

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
For the Lager drinkers, Menabrea is becoming more avaliable in supermarkets. Probably my favourite lager and well worth a try if you haven't had it before.

Loving this stuff, best lager I've ever tasted. Currently £4 for two large bottles in Tesco.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
One of the pubs around my area is making this. Yet to taste it but i might save it for 12th of May  ;)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Working in Portsmouth again so spent a couple of hours in a great little bar called The Wave Maiden in Southsea - lots of good local beers and now in a partnership with Siren. Recommended if we're ever away at Fratton Park again.

Anyway, they had a beer brewed in honour of England's Number One:

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

My missus lives in Antwerp at the moment (great city if you've never been...) so over the past few years I've spent a load of time there and filled my boots on the Belgian gear. Rochefort is a good one, like Orval and a fan of Westmalle Dubbel too. Antwerp has the De Koninck brewery that has some great lighter beers (Lost in Spice is a cracker).

Had the opportunity to try a Westvleteren 12 last month (€25 a bottle!) and can report it was an absolute belter. Never worth €25 and not a session bevy by any means but I do think it lives up to the hype.

Back over this weekend if anyone has anymore recommendations.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Had the opportunity to try a Westvleteren 12 last month (€25 a bottle!) and can report it was an absolute belter. Never worth €25 and not a session bevy by any means but I do think it lives up to the hype.

Although I've been in Belgium for over 25 years I've still not tried Westvleteren, mainly because of the price, but many here who have, say that St.Bernardus is just as good and that is readily available in all supermarkets. https://www.sintbernardus.be/

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
St Bernadus is indeed lovely stuff
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Thanks chaps.

Will check it out 👌🏻

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I know one is Leffe but not tried this one before...

The one of the right,Tungri, is a local beer from a micro brewery. Vedett is from the same brewery as Duvel
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 07:19:36 pm by Pheeny »

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
I know one is Leffe but not tried this one before...

The one of the right,Tungri, is a local beer from a micro brewery. Vedett is from the same brewery as Duvel

I've always found the Duvel too heavy for the head the next day. 

Been drinking some local Prague stuff today but can't remember what it's called.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
I've always found the Duvel too heavy for the head the next day. 

I never had you down as a  lightweight! ;)

I've always found quite the reverse for myself with Duvel, waking up feeling fine after having had a fair few (like about 8 ) the night before when in Amsterdam, though as with all beers (and spirits), I think we can all sometimes react to them differently at different times and for a multitude of varying reasons.

Maybe it's just the version you can get over there as I've only ever tended to drink it when I used to frequent Amsterdam and go in The Wildeman, which seems somewhat bonkers as that bar serves so many other superb beers if you ever get a chance to get over there.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
I never had you down as a  lightweight! ;)

I've always found quite the reverse for myself with Duvel, waking up feeling fine after having had a fair few (like about 8 ) the night before when in Amsterdam, though as with all beers (and spirits), I think we can all sometimes react to them differently at different times and for a multitude of varying reasons.

Maybe it's just the version you can get over there as I've only ever tended to drink it when I used to frequent Amsterdam and go in The Wildeman, which seems somewhat bonkers as that bar serves so many other superb beers if you ever get a chance to get over there.

I don't go over 5% if I can help it. The past  week since I've been away I've always said to them how strong is it or the weakest one you have. Was actually on the shandies in Munich for a bit . I even went on the espressos for a bit. You are deffo right though in saying it does effect us all differently .Different constitutions and all that . I can't go near wine these days which for someone who was really into his wine is a bit of a shift. Think I need to swerve it for a bit being honest .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
My favourite beer right now is a Swedish lager called Arboga. It's a little bit darker yellow than your average lager and it's packing quite a lot of taste. It's 5,6 %. There's also a dark lager one and that's bloody marvellous too.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 03:22:37 pm by Groundskeeper Willie »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My favourite beer right now is a Swedish lager called Arboga. It's a little bit darker yellow than your average lager and it's packing quite a lot of taste. It's 5,6 %. There's also a dark lager one and that's bloody marvellous too.

I love the fact that some Swedish words are very similar to Dutch/Flemish...

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
I love the fact that some Swedish words are very similar to Dutch/Flemish...

Quite a few. Same goes for German IMO.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Budweiser [emoji3]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

bollocks

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
Picked up some Offshore Pilsner by Sharp's Brewery (in Cornwall)

It's fucking rank.

I like a mildly citrusy beer - Kronenbourg Blanc was a beautiful drink - but when they pack it with hops and overload on the citrus, it's awful.

Too harsh a taste.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Picked up some Offshore Pilsner by Sharp's Brewery (in Cornwall)

It's fucking rank.

I like a mildly citrusy beer - Kronenbourg Blanc was a beautiful drink - but when they pack it with hops and overload on the citrus, it's awful.

Too harsh a taste.

Sharp's got bought out by Molson Coors shortly after Doom Bar won Champion Beer of Britain and, naturally, everything they make has turned into Worthington's.

Working in Derby at the moment, so taking the opportunity to nip into the Sheffield Tap when changing trains and pick up some obscure cans and some Thornbridge.

Offline Pheeny

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Having a Spencer IPA bloody good beer as well...

Offline Willi

• ave a sensa yuma? It appears e will :) Needs an 'h' in 'Cef', clearly! Appy retirement, fella :)
  • Kopite
I'm drinking a beer tonight, a German beer 5%, which is really fruity, an intensive taste, a taste which lingers a while in my mouth until I replenish the taste. Possibly the best beer I've drunk in my life.
Here's the bad news. I'm suffering from a lingering flu which has fucked up my taste buds good and proper making them a lot more sensitive. The beer is in fact the beer I normally drink from the supermarket, called Gold Ochsen Original (from Ulm)
I'd better drink lots while it tastes so good. Might even help me get better!!!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
I am in the Chiltern Brewery free delivery area. Lockdown is not all bad.

Offline Red_Bear

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Early on in lockdown, I got a delivery from Tiny Rebel - great selection of beers, enjoyed every one of them. The selection available on website seems to be changing daily at the moment, and I just got an email today saying they've launched two new beers - a mint choc chip marshmallow porter and a raspberry ripple marshmallow porter - called "Stay Put" (their regular marshmallow porter is called "Stay Puft"), and they're donating all the money from the sale of these two to the NHS.

Last night, I made an order with Rooster's, so I'm currently awaiting a dozen cans each of Yankee (a pale ale), One Trick Pony (a rose lemonade sour) and Slow and Low (a ginger, chilli and lime Berliner weisse).  Hoping they might arrive in time for the weekend, but if not I'm sure they'll be worth the wait!

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
I am in the Chiltern Brewery free delivery area. Lockdown is not all bad.

I'm not far from Exmoor Ales at Wiveliscombe and they are offering free delivery throughout the UK currently...

I'm particularly fond of 16 x Exmoor Gold for £32 and since Tesco home deliveries restrict you to only 3 bottles of any one brand of ale, I've been ordering direct from the brewery instead.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
I'm not far from Exmoor Ales at Wiveliscombe and they are offering free delivery throughout the UK currently...

I'm particularly fond of 16 x Exmoor Gold for £32 and since Tesco home deliveries restrict you to only 3 bottles of any one brand of ale, I've been ordering direct from the brewery instead.

Wow I never thought I'd see Wivey mentioned on RAWK, its where my family is from.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy

Exmoor Gold is very good. I drank rather a lot of it while on holiday in Devon.