Author Topic: What was the last book you read?  (Read 586928 times)

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
Re: What was the last book you read?
« Reply #7200 on: October 30, 2017, 05:34:22 pm »
American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

I read the writers preferred text, it weighed in about 630 pages and had the novella The Monarch in the Glen attached. I have to say it was great, maybe a bit out there in parts for some, but really enjoyable. About faith and the gods that we have forgotten and replaced with other things in the modern world. I`ve now watched a bit of the first TV show episode and its obvious that they have changed a few small things and have heard that the show may be not the whole book.

Just finished that. Bit odd to be honest and thought the ending was a bit weak.
Legacy fan

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7201 on: November 2, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »
Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Had never heard of it until a few months ago when people started talking about Spielberg making a film about it and it got my interest. It's full of references from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's got the usual straight forward storyline but it keeps you entertained and it's an excellent read. Worth a go if you're into retro gaming or 80's TV culture

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7202 on: November 2, 2017, 02:51:58 pm »
Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Had never heard of it until a few months ago when people started talking about Spielberg making a film about it and it got my interest. It's full of references from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's got the usual straight forward storyline but it keeps you entertained and it's an excellent read. Worth a go if you're into retro gaming or 80's TV culture

I notice we're the same age, and I'm interested to give it a read. Do you think most of the references still hit/worked?

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7203 on: November 2, 2017, 03:10:58 pm »
I notice we're the same age, and I'm interested to give it a read. Do you think most of the references still hit/worked?

Massively so, for me anyway. I tended to play all of the old games from the 80's (and still do from time to time) and even some games/TV shows/films I'd never heard off never went over my head where I missed anything

If you are indeed my age (30 now, fuck that) and you enjoy 80's references and culture it's worth a read. Try out a sample on a kindle beforehand

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #7204 on: November 2, 2017, 03:13:50 pm »
I definitely recommend Ready Player One, I'm 30 years old and it's one of the best books I've read in the past few years.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7205 on: November 2, 2017, 03:16:30 pm »
Massively so, for me anyway. I tended to play all of the old games from the 80's (and still do from time to time) and even some games/TV shows/films I'd never heard off never went over my head where I missed anything

If you are indeed my age (30 now, fuck that) and you enjoy 80's references and culture it's worth a read. Try out a sample on a kindle beforehand

Great, cheers mate. I do enjoy those a lot, think I'll give that a go!

Haha I know - like a numpty I thought I was 31 when someone asked earlier, so I've gone back a year today!

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7206 on: November 2, 2017, 04:46:31 pm »
The Castle in The Forest, by Norman Mailer

About the early life of Adolf Hitler, and the Hitler family background, it's a very unique read that I thoroughly enjoyed.  The storytelling and format are pure Mailer, and I finished the book wanting more.  Mailer dives straight into some topics that are, uh, topical, at the moment (this book was written in 2007, and Mailer has since passed away).....in the same vein as Game of Thrones, and some of his explorations of what shaped young Adi.....

Anyway- 5 stars, would shop again
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
« Reply #7207 on: November 3, 2017, 08:12:11 pm »
Notes From The Underground - Dostoevsky

The introduction in itself is glorious and worthy of great praise.
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7208 on: November 3, 2017, 08:42:36 pm »
Messi autobiography by Guillem ballbag.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline gregorio

• Loves Chelsea's staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At this particular moment in time
« Reply #7209 on: November 11, 2017, 10:44:15 pm »
I’ve just started an attempt at a year of only reading charity shop purchases, let’s see how long I keep it going

Chop chop by Simon Wroe
(Slight spoiler alert)

Pretty entertaining, he captures the world of restaurant kitchen hellholes well although I disliked it when the main character is revealed to be writing his first novel about his experiences

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Beautiful, chilling , just read it

The Russia House by John Le Carre
I can be a bit of a literary snob , 45 yr old who had never read any of his stuff (and this is partly why I’m doing the charity shop thing) will definitely be on the hunt for more. Brilliant detail, slow-burning tension and nice references to Crime and Punishment which appealed to my literary snobbery 😀
'When they start singing 'You’ll Never Walk Alone' my eyes start to water. There have been times when I’ve actually been crying while I’ve been playing'

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7210 on: November 12, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »
Heads up.

I mentioned a while back that Raphael Honigstein was working on a book about Klopp. It’s called “Bring The Noise” and comes out this Thursday.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7211 on: November 12, 2017, 01:37:51 pm »
I’ve just started an attempt at a year of only reading charity shop purchases, let’s see how long I keep it going

Chop chop by Simon Wroe
(Slight spoiler alert)

Pretty entertaining, he captures the world of restaurant kitchen hellholes well although I disliked it when the main character is revealed to be writing his first novel about his experiences

Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Beautiful, chilling , just read it

The Russia House by John Le Carre
I can be a bit of a literary snob , 45 yr old who had never read any of his stuff (and this is partly why I’m doing the charity shop thing) will definitely be on the hunt for more. Brilliant detail, slow-burning tension and nice references to Crime and Punishment which appealed to my literary snobbery 😀

Love those last two
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7212 on: November 12, 2017, 06:28:29 pm »
The First and the Last, the German fighter ace, Adolf Gallands war memoirs.
Fascinating insight into the odds he had to face, not only against the allied war machine but the German high command. Goering in particular comes across as a pathetic manchild.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #7213 on: November 12, 2017, 06:37:31 pm »
1973 by Lynda LaPlante.

Picked it up from the library, never read any of her stuff before.

Utterly dreadful. Plot all over the place, awful character descriptions and pathetic dialogue.

I wasn't expecting much but it was so bad I carried on reading it to see it it could get any worse, and it did.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #7214 on: November 13, 2017, 12:08:33 pm »

Trump & Me by Mark Singer.

Essentially an expanded magazine article that`s been updated. Singer followed Trump around in the mid-nineties at the behest of his editor. Naturally Trump didn't like the finished article and wrote letters about it (different times) in his inimitable style.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #7215 on: November 30, 2017, 04:39:20 pm »
Finally got round to reading Crime and Punishment. I'm always wondering what a mind Dostoevsky had to be able to produce such works. His depth when it comes to the human condition is unparalleled. This year I managed to read the Brothers Karamazov and this and it's safe to say they are on my favourite's shelf.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7216 on: November 30, 2017, 05:05:59 pm »
Finally got round to reading Crime and Punishment. I'm always wondering what a mind Dostoevsky had to be able to produce such works. His depth when it comes to the human condition is unparalleled. This year I managed to read the Brothers Karamazov and this and it's safe to say they are on my favourite's shelf.

How did you get anything else done?! :)

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #7217 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:02 pm »
Might be next on my list. Making an effort to read more classics, currently on Anna Karenina.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7218 on: December 1, 2017, 05:47:40 am »
How did you get anything else done?! :)

And that's not all! Amongst others, this year I also read Ken Follet's tome, Pillars of the Earth and the first three Game of Thrones :) I shunned almost every other recreational activity like video games, serieses and movies (save for a few). And most of the time when there's football (except Liverpool of course) I'm reading and only look on when the commentator gets animated.

For the Karamazov it was my first Audible title which you get for free. I tried to get the most value out of it by choosing one with very long hours. It's great for commutes but only if they're quite long because it doesn't make sense to listen to it for 10-15 minutes at a time.

I tried to do the same for Crime and Punishment but realised I'm much faster reading than listening. Goodreads has been a big motivator for reading this year and I hope it continues.

Might be next on my list. Making an effort to read more classics, currently on Anna Karenina.

That's high on the list too but I'm trying to read other books in between the Russian Classics. I'm currently living in Tbilisi for a short contract and I thought it's the perfect time to visit these classics.
« Last Edit: December 1, 2017, 06:22:48 am by Prelude no.5 »
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7219 on: December 3, 2017, 11:16:44 pm »

Crime and Punishment and Anna Karenina are in my top 10 for sure. The Russians are such great story tellers. Solzhenitsyn's books are well worth a read too.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7220 on: December 4, 2017, 08:42:23 am »
Crime and Punishment and Anna Karenina are in my top 10 for sure. The Russians are such great story tellers. Solzhenitsyn's books are well worth a read too.

No Karamazov in there?  :P

Also, has anyone read 'A Brief History of Time'? I have another version, which came out later titled 'A Briefer History of Time' ?

Any advice on which to read? At the moment I'm going for the latter because it's easier but I don't know if I would be missing out on something that's in the former. I also think it would be a waste of time to read both.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7221 on: December 11, 2017, 01:13:31 am »
Finished We have always lived in the castle tonight. Lovely quick read from Shirley Jackson. Am sure I'll read her again soon.

The narration was so well written, and the few characters so fleshed out. Even though it's a quick read, it's a bit of a slow burn in the sense that you think about lots of different aspects long after.

Goodreads has been a big motivator for reading this year and I hope it continues.

I find the same mate. I've done the 'set yourself a target' challenge the last few years, and despite almost half the year being a bit of a write off, am one off my target now. It's also proving handy for monitoring the random modern classics I've picked up from my local charity shop.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:16:37 am by Classycara »

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #7222 on: December 11, 2017, 07:33:43 am »
Haha the good reads target. I get such a kick out of winning that and no one will ever know. What's your target? I usually do mine at 20. I've had a kid this year so I'm currently at 3 I can't see myself taking home that trophy..

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7223 on: December 11, 2017, 01:35:22 pm »
Haha the good reads target. I get such a kick out of winning that and no one will ever know. What's your target? I usually do mine at 20. I've had a kid this year so I'm currently at 3 I can't see myself taking home that trophy..

Haha me too, noone knows but still feels like a nice achievement. You have a very fair excuse for this year's at least :) And everything that helps me stay reading more consistently is good with me. Would be my third year in a row reaching a target, which is good by my poor standards seeing things through!

I set mine at 18 this year, which I realise isn't masses but given I usually fall in and out of reading 'form' has proven a challenge. Especially since I barely read anything between January and July. Am on 17 now, so should be fine. Luckily read quite a few short-ish ones this year. Wo

Am currently thinking of my next book, and think I might read The Collector by Fowles. Anyone here read it?

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7224 on: December 11, 2017, 01:46:05 pm »
Am currently thinking of my next book, and think I might read The Collector by Fowles. Anyone here read it?

I did read it but it was a long time ago, and I seem to recall The French Lieutenant's Woman much better (which was glorious).

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7225 on: December 11, 2017, 02:13:32 pm »
I did read it but it was a long time ago, and I seem to recall The French Lieutenant's Woman much better (which was glorious).

Thanks Corkboy. Think I have a copy of that somewhere, must move it further up the list.

As a fellow McCarthy devotee, and someone whose taste I appreciate, am happy to see you rate Fowles. Think I will go ahead with the Collector as it seems in line with what I'm enjoying at the moment. Want something dark

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7226 on: December 11, 2017, 05:01:31 pm »
I've set the target at 30, am on 31 (10K pages) but it's the first proper year I've read consistently thanks to my first time living abroad in Tbilisi, and having not much else to do after work :)

I also alternate between huge books and 100-page novels to keep that number growing steadily.

Will aim for 36 next year.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 05:10:33 pm by Prelude no.5 »

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7227 on: December 11, 2017, 05:15:47 pm »
I've set the target at 30, am on 31 (10K pages) but it's the first proper year I've read consistently thanks to my first time living abroad in Tbilisi, and having not much else to do after work :)

I also alternate between huge books and 100-page novels to keep that number growing steadily.

Will aim for 36 next year.

Well done mate, very impressive! Much more productive than the Georgian vodka alternative!

I'll probably aim for 20-25 next year, and like to mix them up like you do. Although replace huge with just a bit large for me - haven't read anything giant, over 600 pages, in a fair while. Also find a standalone graphic novel is a good alternative to a short novel to get back in flow, especially when there's a library deadline to contend with.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7228 on: December 11, 2017, 06:58:02 pm »
Cheers!

The bigger ones were Game of Thrones, even Pillars of the Earth didn't come close to them! And yes I plan on doing that too, have V for Vendetta and some Batman Novels to go through.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7229 on: December 14, 2017, 08:57:32 pm »
Double serving of WW2 books

The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat- Bit of a cheat as this was a re-read, but my goodness what a book.  I am of the opinion that Norman Mailer's 'The Naked and the Dead' is the best WW2 book about the gears of war; the decisions and failures of imagination by which humans slide down the scale of civilizing behavior, all the way down to the General described as a wild dog closeted with a bone.  I'm doing a fcking HORRIBLE job of describing the brilliance of that novel, my point is that it is uniquely gripping.  The Cruel Sea is more so but in a different vein; I believe it to be among the finest descriptors of what it is to be at war.  The tedium, the action, the emotions, the fear.  I've never read a novel like The Cruel Sea before or since.  The foreword alone is enough to bring a tear to the eye.  Mega-ultra-supreme bonus points for highlighting in-depth the pivotal role of Merseyside in those years.

Fata Morgana by Boyett & Mitchroney- Really cool blend of WW2 golden era novelization (square jawed heroes, dames, friendly bantz) and sci fi.  Different kind of novel, I am normally mistrusting of the "it took TWO people to write this novel!" approach but was given this as a present and ended up enjoying the hell out of it.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7230 on: December 14, 2017, 11:08:06 pm »
Curious, did the cruel sea piss people of the time off with his one page of eyebrow raising commentary on Ireland? 
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #7231 on: December 15, 2017, 11:00:23 am »
...The Cruel Sea

It's very good.

Monsarrat himself served on the Western Approaches Command Corvettes, out of Liverpool, so knew and had first hand experience of all the seriously grim business in deep waters under Walker.

...It’s the war, the whole bloody war. We’ve got to do these things and say our prayers at the end.

If you're interested in decent WW2 books, have a try of The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw (also made into quite a decent little film starring a young Brando)

Curious, did the cruel sea piss people of the time off with his one page of eyebrow raising commentary on Ireland? 

Doubt it, most people were seriously pissed off that the port facilities in the South weren't made available for the Corvettes and escorts, it would have enabled them to cover the gap in the mid Atlantic earlier.

The expressions of condolence on Hitlers death likely didn't exactly help.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7232 on: December 15, 2017, 12:30:46 pm »
It's very good.

Monsarrat himself served on the Western Approaches Command Corvettes, out of Liverpool, so knew and had first hand experience of all the seriously grim business in deep waters under Walker.

...It’s the war, the whole bloody war. We’ve got to do these things and say our prayers at the end.

If you're interested in decent WW2 books, have a try of The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw (also made into quite a decent little film starring a young Brando)

Doubt it, most people were seriously pissed off that the port facilities in the South weren't made available for the Corvettes and escorts, it would have enabled them to cover the gap in the mid Atlantic earlier.

The expressions of condolence on Hitlers death likely didn't exactly help.

Cheers, interesting..... and The Young Lions was an excellent read, was introduced to Rich Man Poor Man which I really enjoyed (it at times felt like it was written 300 years ago, but good) and went right into The Young Lions.  As for Ireland I had wondered if Monsarrat took it almost too personally, but as you and he say their policies of the time greatly hampered the ability to keep people in the middle reaches of the lifeline supported/alive.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7233 on: December 22, 2017, 07:27:34 pm »
Just finished The City and The City by China Mieville. Not as good as Perdido Street Station maybe but still very enjoyable. Sort of a detective novel but set in a weird world where two realities run parallel and sometimes overlap. Love the way the guy writes.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7234 on: December 26, 2017, 01:28:28 pm »
Just finished The City and The City by China Mieville. Not as good as Perdido Street Station maybe but still very enjoyable. Sort of a detective novel but set in a weird world where two realities run parallel and sometimes overlap. Love the way the guy writes.

Cheers, did you read the prequel ("un Lun Dun?")or do you think one could read this as a standalone?
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7235 on: December 27, 2017, 12:22:39 am »

Incredible book.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #7236 on: December 27, 2017, 12:12:52 pm »
What’s it about?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #7237 on: December 27, 2017, 01:25:29 pm »
What’s it about?

The mafia around Naples. Basically that they own just about everything. Fashion, waste services, concrete, drugs etc and also the different families and wars that have been going on since the early 80s. It's amazing how their tentacles stretch all over the world.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #7238 on: December 27, 2017, 01:53:55 pm »
The mafia around Naples. Basically that they own just about everything. Fashion, waste services, concrete, drugs etc and also the different families and wars that have been going on since the early 80s. It's amazing how their tentacles stretch all over the world.

If you've not already check out John Dickie. He's done a number of books.

I've just finished 22.11.63 Stephen Kings take on the JFK assassination mixed with some time travel.

Enjoyed it but felt as usual King has a tendency to throw an extra 200 or so pages in where no much goes on.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7239 on: December 27, 2017, 03:26:07 pm »
Cheers, did you read the prequel ("un Lun Dun?")or do you think one could read this as a standalone?

Seemed fine as a standalone to me, mate. I wasn't even aware that there was a prequel!