Author Topic: 2017 in Music  (Read 100864 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2017 in Music
« Reply #600 on: June 24, 2017, 12:23:41 am »

Much rather hipsters than any other subculture these days to be honest. They're just harmless kids really and they're entitled to whatever they want to do. I never see them causing issues at gigs and often the more hipster gig venues are far more into social justice etc. and take abuse/mistreatment of minorities quite seriously.

Never got into Algeirs to be honest despite the likes of the Guardian pushing them a fair bit. If anything I think I've liked what I've heard on the new album a bit more. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: June 24, 2017, 02:33:50 am »
Can't get the new Mondo Cosmo track out of my head, really looking forward to the album.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #602 on: June 24, 2017, 03:19:40 am »
Much rather hipsters than any other subculture these days to be honest.

Has it become post modern yet?

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #603 on: June 24, 2017, 06:40:18 am »
Very enjoyable album - thanks for the heads up.

If you like this, you might also like Hal Incandenza - Calor. Well worth a listen.

Nice one, cheers!

Yup, very good list.

For me along with the aforementioned Turnover... Lapalux, Public Service Broadcasting, Shabazz Palaces, The War on Drugs, LCD, St. Vincent,

And probably a few in there I've never heard who I'll end up loving. That's the really good bit.

Didnt know Bruce had a record slated for this year and Vampire Weekend as well???

This is a bit weird since Baio just released new material.

Japanese Breakfast, Lana Del Rey, Ghostpoet, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, and Alvvays before the summer is over. Woah.

In other news BC Camplight will release his new album next year.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #604 on: June 25, 2017, 07:04:21 pm »
In other news BC Camplight will release his new album next year.
Great news, really enjoyed their last album very underrated 

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #605 on: June 26, 2017, 08:33:35 pm »
Same same, so cheers boys and girls, you've definitely expanded my musical horizons. Particularly on what I think of as the indie side of things, which for years I'd assumed was boring jangly stuff for pretentious hipster twats, then it dawned on me that I was one of those pretentious hipster twats and embraced it, subsequently learning there's shitloads of good stuff to listen to there. Probably even stuff that non-hipsters can enjoy, though obviously I wouldn't know! So aye, I'm very much obliged to you all.

And yes, there seem to be lots of releases to look forward to this year. I have high hopes for Hitchhiker, St Vincent's always worth a listen, new GZA, Spiritualized maybe...

I'll have to check out these Beach Fossils lads, they seem to be getting a lot of love in here.

On the subject of pretentious hipster music (sorry for the fixation, I was officially designated a "pretentious hipster twat" the other night by my mate, who has a massive beard and was wearing a fucking lumberjack shirt, and have been simultaneously tickled and horrified ever since), anyone got the new Algiers album? I liked the first one and have heard a couple of tracks off this one that sounded really good. Interesting mix of sounds, and they appear to be somewhat ticked off about the current political climate.

Didn't dig the first Algiers album but Randall Dunn has mixed this new one and anything he touches generally turns to gold, so will be definitely checking it.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:04:17 pm by Alonso_The_Assassin »

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2017, 10:08:17 pm »
Didn't dig the first Algiers album but Randall Dunn has produced this new one and anything he touches generally turns to gold, so will be definitely checking it.

I've listened to it a couple of times now and like it, but I'm not sure it's deserving of the Album of the Year type praise it's been getting in some quarters. As Jooney said above though, a stridently left wing band of mixed ethnicity and influences from industrial post punk to gospel and soul - that kind of mix is like reviewer catnip.

It's maybe a little more tuneful than the first one but not a million miles away. They still have all the subtlety of an anti-aircraft gun but I find all that intensity and noise pretty compelling at times, though I keep on thinking I'd quite like to hear the singer in a more stripped down setting - he's got some set of pipes on him. I guess I'll be filing it in the "liked" basket as opposed to the "loved" one for now, but I think I need to spend more time with it.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #607 on: June 27, 2017, 12:53:28 am »
Really enjoying the GAS album. Very Tangerine Dream-esque, albeit more sinister.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: June 27, 2017, 10:35:17 pm »
Mid year Top 10:

Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - The French Press EP
Jake Xerxes Fussell - What In The Natural World
Kevin Morby - City Music
Hoops - Routines
Kelly Lee Owens - S/T
Porcelain Raft - Microclimate
Sandy Alex G - Rocket
Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
Beach Fossils - Somersault
Hand Habits - Wildly Idle

Subject to wild change.
Amber Coffman LP is decent, feel like I'd already heard some of it on the Dirty Projectors LP though so split my internal vote.
Also loving WOODS, The New Year, about a third of the Flo Morrissey/Matthew E White one, Laetitia Sadier, Foxygen (was that this year?) GospelbeacH, Nightlands (War on Drugs' bassist's solo LP, can it get any worse for Flashing Blade? ;D) sure there's loads more I missed.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #609 on: June 27, 2017, 11:26:49 pm »
Nightlands (War on Drugs' bassist's solo LP, can it get any worse for Flashing Blade? ;D)
Of The WOD tentacles there are many. The man behind BC Camplight, Brian Christinzio, was a former band member as well. I think if you play music in Philadelphia it's one of the rules.

I'll stick Morby in my top five only City Music wasnt out before I made the list

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: June 28, 2017, 12:05:24 am »
A bit late but how great is Michael Chapman's album 50? RAWK strikes again. Never heard of him until I read this thread.

Also, I am a big fan of Foxygen's album Hang released in January I think it was. There are so many different genres and voices put in there that it is very intriguing but still manages to remain listenable through its catchy choruses.

As said by many on here, the Flo Morissey/Matthew E White album is definitely hot and cold. It's one of those where I pick and keep the stellar tracks and toss out the rest. Can't be bothered to listen to the whole album in order to hear the good songs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:09:54 am by Seebab »
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #611 on: June 28, 2017, 12:40:20 am »
Thoughts on the new London Grammar?

Having not really paid them much attention before, I was taken in by the lead singer's voice after watching a song at Glastonbury. Been listening to the new album today and loving it.

Offline NotBeenInAigburthSince2008

• Kopite
« Reply #612 on: June 28, 2017, 09:48:31 am »
Just got the new Edenhouse (goth supergroup if such a thing can be imagined). Very atmospheric so far.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #613 on: June 29, 2017, 10:24:10 am »
War on Drugs' bassist's solo LP, can it get any worse for Flashing Blade? ;D

Jazz Odyssey?

Btw The National single is fucking ace, bar an unnecessary guitar solo. Im unfamiliar with their work, not sure if I should investigate the new LP , is it same standard as single?

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #614 on: June 29, 2017, 11:09:16 am »
Jazz Odyssey?

Btw The National single is fucking ace, bar an unnecessary guitar solo. Im unfamiliar with their work, not sure if I should investigate the new LP , is it same standard as single?
The new record isn't out until September. If you wanna get involved before then I'd probably start with either Boxer, High Violet or Trouble Will Find Me.

Hopefully you like what you hear, I think they're incredible.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #615 on: June 29, 2017, 11:32:21 am »
I somehow manage to see The National almost every year despite not really being into them

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #616 on: June 29, 2017, 08:02:12 pm »
The National new song is fucking ace. They were brilliant at Glastonbury and cannot wait to see them at Haven Festival and in London later in the year.

Some great new records out:

- Jason Isbell
- The Deslondes
- Phoenix
- Michael Nau
-  Big Thief
- Jeff Tweedy
- GospelbeacH (although I go from loving it to thinking it isn't all that)

Also, digging Patti Smith and The Modern Lovers - old artists that I am discovering more about.

Saw Whitney on Tuesday and they were really great. Super tight band and crowd were really into it, which does not happen much in Brighton!
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #617 on: June 29, 2017, 08:02:58 pm »
The new record isn't out until September. If you wanna get involved before then I'd probably start with either Boxer, High Violet or Trouble Will Find Me.

Hopefully you like what you hear, I think they're incredible.

Alligator and Boxer would be my two recommendations to start with.

Two of the best albums of the last 15 years.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2017, 02:04:12 pm »
New James Elkington album might be a good addition for you alt-country hounds.

Also, R.I.P. Dave Rosser. His guitar work really did pave the way for the Afghan Whigs' recent upsurge in creativity. Dave also played in The Twilight Singers, The Gutter Twins as well as accompanying Mark Lanegan on various solo tours. A true riff doctor who will be missed.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #619 on: June 30, 2017, 02:55:59 pm »
New James Elkington album might be a good addition for you alt-country hounds.

Cheers man, didn't know he was releasing a solo record, I'll check it out. The man has some maaaaad fingerpicking skills.

This week, when I haven't been assaulting my ears with the Algiers record (still unsure about this one, a few great tracks though) and the new Public Enemy (energetic, surprisingly accessible and free!), I've been mostly listening to Way Out West by the rather wonderfully named Marty Stuart and his Fabulous Superlatives. Really good fun this, a mix of classic country and rockabilly type tunes with some extended instrumental breaks that might appeal to fans of William Tyler, lots of Byrdsian influences and a fair few trippy, psychedelic bits. Dude's got an arch sense of humour, too. Highly recommended.

Don't know how to embed youtube videos, but this should give y'all a bit of an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULSrvkzBfc&index=1&list=RDCULSrvkzBfc

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:18 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CULSrvkzBfc&amp;index=1&amp;list=RDCULSrvkzBfc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/CULSrvkzBfc&amp;index=1&amp;list=RDCULSrvkzBfc</a>

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #621 on: June 30, 2017, 04:00:00 pm »

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #622 on: June 30, 2017, 06:26:46 pm »
Blimey! WITCH are playing Amsterdam in September! Hopefully they play somewhere near Filler as well.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: June 30, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
Blimey! WITCH are playing Amsterdam in September! Hopefully they play somewhere near Filler as well.

God bless you sir for the heads up! Have wanted to go to the Psych Fest for some time... this news is telling me to finally go :thumbup

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #624 on: June 30, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »
Interested to hear this James Elkington record

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2017, 09:52:12 pm »

Offline Filler.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2017, 11:18:01 pm »

God bless you sir for the heads up! Have wanted to go to the Psych Fest for some time... this news is telling me to finally go :thumbup

Tho may do London. A mate is on it - he lives round the corner so I've got a bed. 10 quid a ticket!? To see Witch!! For the first time in Europe? Very surprised they haven't managed to attract more gigs have to say. If I had a spare few grand I'd call them. Would love to put them on in our village - 'Free Gig' at 6pm so all the kids could go. Would love that.

Hopefully FlashingBlade will be out there for the Amsterdam gig :wave

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #627 on: July 1, 2017, 08:04:02 am »
Interested to hear this James Elkington record

Bloody hell- this is really great.

Will Stratton album on Bella Union is great too.
« Last Edit: July 1, 2017, 08:19:42 am by Nick110581 »

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #628 on: July 1, 2017, 09:10:58 am »
Bloody hell- this is really great.

Will Stratton album on Bella Union is great too.

Oh come on mate, I'm trying to keep up and you're throwing more new names in the mixer ;D

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #629 on: July 1, 2017, 02:20:07 pm »

God bless you sir for the heads up! Have wanted to go to the Psych Fest for some time... this news is telling me to finally go [emoji106]
I want to go Psych Fest as well. That Castle Face stage will be boss.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #630 on: July 1, 2017, 03:03:24 pm »
Idles are playing Rotterdam for free tomorrow! Get in!

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #631 on: July 1, 2017, 10:05:24 pm »
Listening to that (Sandy) Alex G record.

What is that name. Him and Jake Xerxes Fussell. Come on lads, see when I have to tell people about your records, your names feel riculous coming out of my mouth ;D

But, yeah, Rocket.

Some really good stuff on here. Did he have to put 'Brick' on there though? Does my head in having a massive rockout noisefest on an otherwise pretty chilled album. A few examples I could give of that behaviour...

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #632 on: July 1, 2017, 10:15:37 pm »
https://hissgoldenmessenger.bandcamp.com/album/standing-in-the-doorway
New HGM track

Up to their recent excellent standards, great groove when it kicks in.

Seen this site?

http://www.nyctaper.com/2016/11/hiss-golden-messenger-november-15-2016-music-hall-of-williamsburg/

There's loads of good stuff up there, McCombs, Ryley Walker, full list here:

http://www.nyctaper.com/category/available-nyctaper-recordings/

I miss the bootleg era, I'm going back into it ;D

Remember having some great Verve bootlegs, a Suede one where it was one of the last Bernard Butler era gigs, few Smiths ones, my mate used to send away for them in the post and trade cassettes and then I'd tape them off him.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #633 on: July 1, 2017, 11:34:26 pm »
Anyone going to this next month...?

and this, which looks like a great afternoon out:

I've liked Shed Seven for as long as I can remember, listened to Dodgy's Free Peace Sweet over and over as a kid, and claim the opening trio on Sleeper's The IT Girl ('Lie Detector', 'Sale of the Century', 'What Do I Do Now?') as one of my favourite album openings...cannot wait.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #634 on: July 2, 2017, 09:27:04 am »
Listening to that (Sandy) Alex G record.

What is that name. Him and Jake Xerxes Fussell. Come on lads, see when I have to tell people about your records, your names feel riculous coming out of my mouth ;D

But, yeah, Rocket.

Some really good stuff on here. Did he have to put 'Brick' on there though? Does my head in having a massive rockout noisefest on an otherwise pretty chilled album. A few examples I could give of that behaviour...

Need to check this out.

Mate bought the Jake album yesterday on vinyl when I was with him.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #635 on: July 2, 2017, 10:52:46 am »
Need to check this out.

Mate bought the Jake album yesterday on vinyl when I was with him.

I loved that the Jake LP has all the original sources for the album detailed on it, so I've been searching out the songs on YouTube, really impressed both by his song-mining and how he's made them his own. Impressive range too, from 1920s tunes to 1970s.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sG5eo0FTZUI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sG5eo0FTZUI</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/En0mU_NRXYs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/En0mU_NRXYs</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AhOAYQixBKs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AhOAYQixBKs</a>

Think you'll really like bits of the Sandy Alex G one, but I'm not sure it has the consistency across the whole LP. 'Proud', 'Country' and 'Alina' stick out for me.

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #636 on: July 2, 2017, 07:13:31 pm »
Idles are fucking boss live! Ended up with crowd surfers aged from about 7 to 60+, including band members. This was at a free festival in Rotterdam as well, I doubt many there had heard them before. Mosh pit was mainly made up of local metal kids and Feyenoord hooligans, all of them won over completely. Loads of spliffs of appreciation showered on them at the end. Amazing. Have to see them with their own audience.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2017, 07:15:49 pm by cloggypop »

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #637 on: July 2, 2017, 11:33:51 pm »
Really enjoying the latest QOTSA-single, looking forward to the album!

The new Isbell-album is ace as well! Hoping to catch one of the two shows he's doing here in Norway in the autumn.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #638 on: July 2, 2017, 11:56:26 pm »
Only an EP but Skegss have a good one that came out in April. Found another EP by a band called Pist Idiots that I rate. I doubt it's anyone on here's taste but for anyone looking for some rough round the edges gritty rock music then check it out. The Aussie rock scene is absolutely top right now
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #639 on: July 2, 2017, 11:59:41 pm »
I love Martin Garrix. That is all.