Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399411 times)

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #5680 on: February 11, 2019, 02:45:15 pm »
I wonder how many pages this will get to by 13 May 2019.
I'll guess 230.

Anyway;

1. Beleive
2. Relax
3. YNWA
4. Beat ManU and then see how that affects ManC.

If we win all 12 games, about 160.

If we slip up in one, about 2,100.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #5681 on: February 11, 2019, 02:52:20 pm »
Worrying changes nothing. Negativity does have some sort of tangible effect though, so we need to all be singing from the same hymn sheet. What is the point of following a team, in any sport, if you are going to hate it when things get exciting? We don't exist as a football club to meander and loiter around mid-table, we don't exist to cause shocks every now and then and be semi-relevant. We exist to win things and to be involved in the business end of competitions. We're into the final third of the season and we have the league title in our own hands. That shouldn't be a shock or an aberration, at least not when you are looking at the bigger picture.

Klopp didn't come here for a payday. He could've chosen any club in the world pretty much but he chose us. His goal would've been very simple: to win at least one major trophy. We came agonizingly close in Europe last season and it would take a brave man now to rule us out of winning that competition under Jurgen's tenure. I would imagine though that Klopp understood - and if he didn't entirely when he arrived he most definitely does now - the importance and significance of ending the title drought here. We're very close now but we aren't Leicester. This isn't a perfect storm. This isn't a league with major teams in transition or who are under-performing. This is 3 years of planning, recruitment, training and hard work coming to fruition. Jurgen himself believes we are a season ahead of schedule, so take it from the man who has masterminded this thing that the best is yet to come.

Enjoy it now though. We are close. We are right in this fucking thing. We are here on merit, we are here because up until now we've been the best team in the league this season. If we continue that trend for the next 12 games then Jurgen is going to be walking around Anfield on a hot May afternoon swigging pints and leading the orchestra. If that image doesn't excite you or get rid of the worry then I'm afraid nothing will.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5682 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:37 pm »
26 games 12 to go

Man Utd (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Spurs (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

We're more than good enough to get this done ...
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5683 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:48 pm »
26 games 12 to go

Man Utd (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Spurs (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

i look at the that and it looks like its laughing at me.....

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5684 on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:29 pm »
One game at a time (about to ignore that)... it we get past United unscathed then the next few look ok to me, even Everton given their current mood.

The Spurs/Saints/Chelsea sequence could be tricky but I will park those concern until much nearer the time!

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5685 on: February 11, 2019, 03:17:49 pm »
26 games 12 to go

Man Utd (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Spurs (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

Christ on a bike it is exciting seeing whats left to go.  Not too far now.  Not too far at all.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5686 on: February 11, 2019, 03:21:14 pm »
One game at a time (about to ignore that)... it we get past United unscathed then the next few look ok to me, even Everton given their current mood.

The Spurs/Saints/Chelsea sequence could be tricky but I will park those concern until much nearer the time!

I guess things could turn around at any point, and 'you never know in a derby', but we could have a pretty decent stab at getting level on goal difference with city if we played everton this weekend.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5687 on: February 11, 2019, 03:25:30 pm »
I guess things could turn around at any point, and 'you never know in a derby', but we could have a pretty decent stab at getting level on goal difference with city if we played everton this weekend.

To be fair, shit they may be but they’ve conceded 2 against Watford and City so unlikely to take too much of a twatting, even though I’d expect us to comfortably beat them.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #5688 on: February 11, 2019, 03:39:58 pm »
26 games 12 to go

Man Utd (A)
Watford (H)
Everton (A)
Burnley (H)
Fulham (A)
Spurs (H)
Southampton (A)
Chelsea (H)
Cardiff (A)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (A)
Wolves (H)

That looks like a shit ton of games.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5689 on: February 11, 2019, 03:56:35 pm »
I wish I could sit all of you down over a pint and implore you to keep the heads! It's very important to remember some key points:
This team garnered a total of 75 points last year
They are on pace to break the 90 points barrier this year
Whether that wins the league or not, the reality is that it will represent substantial improvement
A tilt at the CL has been followed by a tilt at the league
We are always results orientated in sports, but the progress is there whether we win the big trophy or not
Our platform and minimums have gone up so much in the space of four years it's astonishing

If you can get into this head space then you'll find this period far more enjoyable and satisfying. City are incredibly formidable opposition, just like Madrid in the final last May were. It's not a binary position of success / failure; winning mentality / bottle. We might lose the title with a great points total that would have won most titles and be right to be delighted with the season overall. Infact, that's a very possible outcome from here.

Think about the moving pieces in the background. The club are starting to pay and lock up the core of this team. A young core with years to come. Our manager has demonstrated a constant progression and evolution of tactical approach and squad depth. This summer we will be in the best position we've been in since sometime in the 80's in terms of the depth of the project as a whole. Commercially, coaching wise, squad wise - it will be the best platform we've had.

That's not to say the title wouldn't be phenomenal. Of course it would be. Just as winning last May would have been amazing. But what was true last May will be true this May: progress is a sum of the bigger picture. It is not about the ultimate result of a specific competition or a subset of games within that competition.

Get into this head space and you'll start to float above the action just a little.
That's a superb post. In this age of media histrionics, the narrative will be that there will be three teams with PL success - the league winner, the team that wins the 4th place "trophy" and the club that ends up 17th escaping relegation on the final day.

Look at Spurs. I've seen so much negative press about them this season. Yet they will likely finish with a massive points total. But it will be judged as "failure" if they finish 3rd or even 2nd. Ridiculous.

We are having a fantastic season. And it will remain fantastic whether we win the title or not. Let's enjoy the ride and celebrate this amazing team. Neither we nor City should have to hang heads in shame on the final day by finishing 2nd. These are two tremendous squads. May the best team win (us!), and may the 2nd place team remain deservedly proud of a strong campaign.
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5690 on: February 11, 2019, 04:01:51 pm »
Go to bed thinking about the league. Wake up thinking about the league. That can't be healthy.

On the contrary, 10 years ago we were going to bed thinking are we going to go bust or into administration, and waking up thinking are we going to go bust or into administration. Thinking about the league every night and day is fucking fantastic.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #5691 on: February 11, 2019, 04:02:22 pm »
some people got disheartened when City thumped Chelsea.....

Not me though. The way we dismantled Bournemouth was absolutely brilliant and if we build on that performance and make it a more regular thing then it doesn't matter how many 6-0's they hand out to opposition

It's been said a few times that we have tried to conserve energy to last the season, well if we go into the final months looking like we did on the weekend more often than not then we will be ok
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5692 on: February 11, 2019, 04:07:26 pm »
I wonder how many pages this will get to by 13 May 2019.
I'll guess 230.

Anyway;

1. Beleive
2. Relax
3. YNWA
4. Beat ManU and then see how that affects ManC.

It's grew 6 pages in 24 hours. There's 90 days between now and then. At this rate that's another 540 pages.
Take a few slow days when league games aren't being played. Average it out about 4 a day. Still another 360 pages. I reckon we'll easily hit 600 if we're still neck and neck going into the last couple of games.

Offline cowtownred

• We're only making plans for Nigel, We only want what's best for him, We're only making plans for Nigel, Nigel just needs a helping hand
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5693 on: February 11, 2019, 04:11:39 pm »
Is anyone else pretty happy that Chelsea are so dismal? I know I am. I was a bit worried that they might get some form, but it looks they are in the middle of their annual self-implosion, down tools and get the manager sacked. On paper that looked one of our tricky games left, but as it is I'm thinking 3 nailed on points right there. One less to worry about.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5694 on: February 11, 2019, 04:13:59 pm »
Is anyone else pretty happy that Chelsea are so dismal? I know I am. I was a bit worried that they might get some form, but it looks they are in the middle of their annual self-implosion, down tools and get the manager sacked. On paper that looked one of our tricky games left, but as it is I'm thinking 3 nailed on points right there. One less to worry about.

They'll still be in the hunt for 4th I reckon unless United keep up their current form. We've more than enough to beat them regardless.
Not happy at the scheduling though. Fucking idiots in the Premier League giving us them at that time of year with their past antics.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5695 on: February 11, 2019, 04:29:27 pm »
End of season schedule ,

Liverpool                                              Manchester City

sat 16th FA cup 5th round Newport away

tues 19th Bayern Home                       weds 20th Schalke away

sun 24th Manchester united away         Sun 24th league cup
                                                                    final chelsea

wed 27th Watford Home                       weds 27th West Ham Home

sun 3rd Everton away                         sat 2nd Bournemouth away                                                       

sun 10th Burnley home                          sat 9th Watford home

wed 13th Bayern away                        tues 12th Schalke home

sun 17th Fulham away                      sat 16th  fa cup quarter final     

sat 23rd INTERNATIONAL BREAK !!!!!

Sun 31st Spurs Home                           sat 30th fulham away

TV DATES FROM HERE NOT DECIDED YET

weds april 3rd man united away

sat 6th Southampton away                 sat 6th    fa cup semi or Cardiff Home #

9/10 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1ST LEG

13th Chelsea home                              13th sat  Palace away

16/17 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2ND LEG

sat 20th Cardiff away                          sat 20th Spurs home

# weds 24th  Cardiff  home if city reach fa semi final

sat 27th Huddersfield Home                sat 27th Burnley away

30/1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG

sat 4th Newcastle away                      sat 4th Leicester home

7/8 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG

sun 12th Wolves Home                       sun 12th Brighton away

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL SAT 1ST
No time for caution.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5696 on: February 11, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »
Just glad we've made it past the magic 40 point mark.
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5697 on: February 11, 2019, 05:14:26 pm »

Nailed on to sack Sarri and bring in some fan favourite who gives them a boost of form.  Expect it to happen 1 or 2 games before we play them ; )

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5698 on: February 11, 2019, 05:47:30 pm »

Agreed. Title run-ins are easier to swallow knowing your Barclay's future is guaranteed. 

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5699 on: February 11, 2019, 05:50:18 pm »
Everton right on our heels though. :(
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5700 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:05 pm »
It's largely semantics, but there's also a deeper-lying attitude issue here.

Expectation is a strong belief that something will happen or be the case.

The post I quoted said, "There should not be a title expectation." So, in other words, we should not have a strong belief that we will win the title.

Really? I'd be very disappointed if that attitude transmitted to the players, or indeed if the players had that attitude themselves. They should have a strong belief that they will win the title, because they're bloody good and it is still in their hands.

I'd like to see fans believe in them more too rather than all this "oh haven't we done so well, aren't Man City so rich and so good" stuff. Save that for if what you appear to think will happen, happens. Until then, believe. Expect, even. It won't kill you. And it won't kill them. They'll go again.

I think you are misusing 'expectation'. You are certainly misrepresenting what KH was saying.

If I give my son a tenner and say "I expect you to come back with sausage and chips and a curry sauce", I don't expect him to go off to the pub or bring me back a chinese takeaway. I don't have a 'strong belief' that he's going to bring back sausage and chips, I expect him to do as he's told.

"Expectation" has far more certainty than you suggest. Unless you mean it in the same way as people who piss away their savings on lottery tickets because they 'expect' their numbers to come up.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5701 on: February 11, 2019, 06:15:50 pm »
That looks like a shit ton of games.

Probably because it's only February...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #5702 on: February 11, 2019, 06:30:07 pm »
The benchmark for us should be Man United.

They were abysmal under the 'bus parker' but are now collecting points at a ridiculous rate. The reason is it is a very shit League. City and Spurs aren't on our coat tails because they are fantastic sides, for me it is because the standard of the League is so low.

If we can emulate an average United side over the next 3 months then it is going to be pretty much impossible for City to catch us.

That is what we should be focussing on.

We aren't in a title race in which the best sides are dropping 30 points over the course of the season. After 26 games we have lost 13 points, City 16 and Spurs 18. In that context 3 points is a very healthy lead.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline AttaRed

• Main Stander
« Reply #5703 on: February 11, 2019, 07:17:59 pm »
End of season schedule ,

Liverpool                                              Manchester City

sat 16th FA cup 5th round Newport away

tues 19th Bayern Home                       weds 20th Schalke away

sun 24th Manchester united away         Sun 24th league cup
                                                                    final chelsea

wed 27th Watford Home                       weds 27th West Ham Home

sun 3rd Everton away                         sat 2nd Bournemouth away                                                       

sun 10th Burnley home                          sat 9th Watford home

wed 13th Bayern away                        tues 12th Schalke home

sun 17th Fulham away                      sat 16th  fa cup quarter final     

sat 23rd INTERNATIONAL BREAK !!!!!

Sun 31st Spurs Home                           sat 30th fulham away

TV DATES FROM HERE NOT DECIDED YET

weds april 3rd man united away

sat 6th Southampton away                 sat 6th    fa cup semi or Cardiff Home #

9/10 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 1ST LEG

13th Chelsea home                              13th sat  Palace away

16/17 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE QUARTER FINAL 2ND LEG

sat 20th Cardiff away                          sat 20th Spurs home

# weds 24th  Cardiff  home if city reach fa semi final

sat 27th Huddersfield Home                sat 27th Burnley away

30/1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 1ST LEG

sat 4th Newcastle away                      sat 4th Leicester home

7/8 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI FINAL 2ND LEG

sun 12th Wolves Home                       sun 12th Brighton away

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL SAT 1ST

Has that Manchester Derby been confirmed for that midweek? I know it was due to be played on the 16/17th March which is FA cup quarters weekend, so would need to be rearranged if 1 or both of those go through, but just figured it would be played later in the season (April time) if it was to be rearranged

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5704 on: February 11, 2019, 07:26:12 pm »
Has that Manchester Derby been confirmed for that midweek? I know it was due to be played on the 16/17th March which is FA cup quarters weekend, so would need to be rearranged if 1 or both of those go through, but just figured it would be played later in the season (April time) if it was to be rearranged

Don’t think it can be played on a CL night (moot point if they’re both in it). Presumably that’s a free midweek? If anything I think it would be moved later rather than brought forward, ideally United will still be needing points for top 4 whenever they play.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5705 on: February 11, 2019, 07:29:23 pm »
Don’t think it can be played on a CL night (moot point if they’re both in it). Presumably that’s a free midweek? If anything I think it would be moved later rather than brought forward, ideally United will still be needing points for top 4 whenever they play.

It can be. There's been numerous Spanish and Italian league games played in recent seasons on the same night as Champions League games. I think a small bribe payment to UEFA enables it.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5706 on: February 11, 2019, 07:30:27 pm »
It can be. There's been numerous Spanish and Italian league games played in recent seasons on the same night as Champions League games. I think a small bribe payment to UEFA enables it.

Thought it couldn’t be televised though. Not the most thoroughly researched answer I admit!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5707 on: February 11, 2019, 07:34:50 pm »
Thought it couldn’t be televised though. Not the most thoroughly researched answer I admit!

You're probably right with that. And no way would they not televise it.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #5708 on: February 11, 2019, 08:17:18 pm »
There's people who have said we lost the Champions League final because we didn't have the option of Coutinho to replace Salah when he went off

Yeah and if only we bought Messi to replace Salah when he's injured.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #5709 on: February 11, 2019, 08:27:54 pm »
I backed us to win the league before the season started. More in hope than expectation. I actually backed us each-way as well, I'm not a madman.

We must doing OK, because we're about evens to win the league now, and I got far better odds than that. So, that means we're in a far better position, closer to winning the league than we were at the start of this memorable season. Evens, that's a coin-flip. That's bloody awesome.

I also backed Leeds (each-way) to win the championship. You can't get everything right :D
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Online ABJ

• Legacy Fan
  • Internet terrorist
« Reply #5710 on: February 11, 2019, 08:28:55 pm »
You're probably right with that. And no way would they not televise it.
Assuming that it does get postponed, I reckon it will be nailed on to move to the final mideeek of the season.
Quote from: Harvest Fields
i watched the chelsea game at my sisters. her 12 year old son is severly autistic and i forgot myself and jumped up screaming at the goal and he went nuts. screaming and shouting. scared the fuck out of me. apologised to my sister as i thought id upset him, turns out he was joining in.

Offline SteveLFC

• Kopite
« Reply #5711 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:02 pm »
some people got disheartened when City thumped Chelsea.....

Not me though. The way we dismantled Bournemouth was absolutely brilliant and if we build on that performance and make it a more regular thing then it doesn't matter how many 6-0's they hand out to opposition

Exactly, it will make winning the league even more sweeter to finish above the team that the media cant stop wanking over.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #5712 on: February 11, 2019, 08:54:50 pm »
538 isn't making much sense to me. We are at 51%, Shitty at 47%. That's much closer than it was before the weekend.

It's also predicting that we both end on 92 points, with them having a better goal difference.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5713 on: February 11, 2019, 09:47:32 pm »
538 isn't making much sense to me. We are at 51%, Shitty at 47%. That's much closer than it was before the weekend.

It's also predicting that we both end on 92 points, with them having a better goal difference.

Bin that site. It will make you go mad.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #5714 on: February 11, 2019, 09:59:27 pm »
Huh City have still played one more game

Good!

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5715 on: February 11, 2019, 11:19:12 pm »

It has also predicted every election wrong for like 6 years
No time for caution.

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5716 on: February 11, 2019, 11:22:03 pm »

Not officially,  unofficially that's the highly likely date.
No time for caution.

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5717 on: February 11, 2019, 11:28:20 pm »

Yes the Everton and Chelsea results have lowered our chances in their model's opinion by about 10%.  For one in that they've played one game more so for both the bookies and now xG models/simulators at the moment we have one more game to play so more chances for something else to happen.

Next is that ManC put up best in the world numbers when it comes to xG and non-shot xG differential.  So for the Chelsea game which the model thought was a relatively hard game for ManC and it wasn't the model is then going to slide that way  So if you're talking about a model that values those things when evaluating chances then it will edge towards ManC which it does as it rates ManC the best team in the world with us currently 3rd.

Just like anything it's a tool, a useful one at that, but certainly not to be taken without some context of why it's doing what it's doing.

For one that would be wrong.

For two, so you're answer to math problems isn't to figure out why they seem wrong but to say Math is stupid and should be ignored?  Probably not the best idea.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:31:48 pm by BrandoLFC »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5718 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:28 pm »

That's a misrepresentation of what polls are and what they aren't. In a tight race, polls are 'right' if they say it's a tight race, but the chances of picking the eventual winner get closer to 50:50 the tighter the race.

538 predicted Clinton would get 48% of the vote and Trump 45%. The final vote was 48% Clinton, 46% Trump. They said that Clinton had a 70% chance of winning - a two-thirds/one-third chance.

In the 2017 election 538 had three likely options from a narrow Tory victory, to an unlikely Tory landslide if the youth vote didn't turn out or the Tories losing their majority. The last being the one that actually happened.

The point is, 538 is not a fortune teller predicting the future. They analyse the polls and put forward the most likely scenarios giving the probability of each outcome.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline End Product

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5719 on: February 12, 2019, 12:08:35 am »

In the 2017 election 538 had three likely options from a narrow Tory victory, to an unlikely Tory landslide if the youth vote didn't turn out or the Tories losing their majority. The last being the one that actually happened.

Haha what a stellar anaylisis from this site,  have ran the maths (note the fucking s matt Damon with a mop) through my super computer, and against United I forsee three likely outcomes,  we win, draw or lose. There may be no goals or many goals if Phil Jones turnsout

« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:11:05 am by End Product »
No time for caution.