Author Topic: Liverpool vs Ajax, 01 December 2020, 8:00 PM  (Read 22889 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Liverpool vs Ajax, 01 December 2020, 8:00 PM
« on: November 30, 2020, 05:23:01 pm »
Liverpool vs Ajax, 01 December 2020, 8:00 PM

vs

at

European Cup Chronicles - Meeting of Historical Heavyweights

This is a meeting of two heavyweights of the European Cup/Champions League having won it 10 times between them. Liverpool had their successes under Paisley and Fagan in the 70s and 80s followed by more recent successes under Benitez and Klopp in the 21st century. Ajax won it thrice in the 70s and once in the 90s. Recently, Ajax have struggled to repeat their former successes, although they reached the semi-finals in the 2018-19 season.

Liverpool are considered one of the favourites for the current edition of the tournament, although multiple injuries this season may have caused a change of opinion among pundits and bookies will be well on their toes for the later stages of the tournament. Ajax are fighting with Atalanta and Liverpool for one of the Top 2 spots in the group and the group is nicely poised at the moment.

Group Table - Combinations and Possibilities

Liverpool are top of the table with 9 points. Ajax and Atalanta closely follow Liverpool with 7 points and Midtjylland are yet to open their account.

Liverpool need 1 win in their next 2 games to qualify for the Knockout stages.

Ajax need to beat Liverpool and either draw with Atalanta with a higher aggregate, or beat Atalanta or hope that Liverpool drop points against Midtjyland to qualify. Ajax can also lose to Liverpool and beat Atalanta to qualify for the Knockout stages.

Current Form - Wins, Draws, Losses and all that malarkey

Liverpool won 3 of their first 4 games in the group, with their latest game being a defeat to Atalanta, only their second Home defeat in Europe under Klopp. Ajax lost to Liverpool in the first game and drew with Atalanta, but came back into the qualification discussion with back to back wins against Midtjyland.

The last 5 games of both sides go like this (recent games first)
Liverpool - D L W D W
Ajax - W W W W W

Liverpool's form has been patchy, but that's no surprise due to the vast number of injuries suffered by Klopp's men. Liverpool are still 2nd in the Premier League and Ajax are sitting pretty at the top of Eredivisie.

Head to Head - Direct Meetings between the two sides

Liverpool have played Ajax for a grand total of 3 games so far, with both sides winning once and drawing the remaining game. The first two games were played in 1966, hence that's not much of an information in terms of how the game could go on Tuesday.

The more recent game was the first game of this CL campaign for both the sides, where Ajax were competent and threatening in their own way and Liverpool held firm to win by an own goal. Liverpool would like to win this game and put qualification to bed for once rather than doing it the usual Liverpool way and relying on the last game/moment.

Injuries and Suspensions - Who's been keeping the doctors busy?

Joe Gomez and Virgil Van Dijk are out for the foreseeable future. Trent Alexander-Arnold and James Milner also have injuries that could keep them out of Liverpool's defense. Naby Keita, Thiago and Xherdan Shaqiri are other concerns and could miss this game.

For Ajax, Mohammed Kudus is the only reported injury.

Predicted Lineup - 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1 - scribble them all

Alisson

Neco Williams
Rhys Williams
Joel Matip
Andy Robertson

Fabinho
Jordan Henderson

Mo Salah
Roberto Firmino
Diogo Jota
Sadio Mane

Time to discuss..

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Liverpool vs Ajax, 01 December 2020, 8:00 PM
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2020, 05:31:53 pm »
We've had a horrible schedule lately with only 2 days recovery between games but we don't play until Sunday after this game and they are both home games. I can see Klopp going with his strongest 11 so Matip and Fabinho at the back and Gini and Henderson in midfield with Jones joining them if he wants a 4-3-3.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2020, 05:32:01 pm »
Dropping points at Brighton makes the Wolves game topmost priority this week. This CL game is just a hefty bonus.

Alisson
Neco Matip Rhys Tsmikas
Hendo Fab Jones
Salah Bobby Mane
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Online rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 05:32:05 pm »
Thanks for the write up.

Given we have 4 days of rest and recovery after this (what a luxury) I think we’ll go as strong as possible. Fab to partner Matip at the back and the midfield 3 will probably be Hendo, Gini and Jones. We don’t really have much of an option at RB, Neco has struggled but hopefully he keeps sticking at it and can show he’s up for the battle. Will a draw be enough for us here? Hoping we get the job done nice and early then sub the big hitters off. Obviously, it’s Us, so we will probably need a last minute winner after being shafted by the ref and VAR.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 05:33:29 pm »
Back four will pretty much pick itself with Williams, Fabinho, Matip and Robertson, albeit Tsimikas could do with another go. Henderson, Wijnaldum and Jones in midfield and Mane, Salah and Firmino.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 05:43:46 pm »
Don't we progress with a draw?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:48:51 pm by exiledintheUSA »
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:03 pm »
We need a point to progress mate.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 05:46:49 pm »
Hope we can come out and just blitz them like we know we can but feels this will be another slog. Which is a shame, but totally understandable, as it's another game against decent opposition that should be about 2 teams going at it and not being played at a lower pace, or with the League cup team out.

Online Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 05:52:31 pm »
Back four will pretty much pick itself with Williams, Fabinho, Matip and Robertson, albeit Tsimikas could do with another go. Henderson, Wijnaldum and Jones in midfield and Mane, Salah and Firmino.

I suspect that’s the line up, except maybe Tsimikas instead of Williams.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 05:56:30 pm »
Tsimikas needs minutes to build up fitness, I'd like to see him playing on the right.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2020, 06:03:53 pm »
Last time these two clubs met at Anfield there was almost a major disaster on the Kop. Two hundred or so fans were injured, many sent to hospital. That's a piece of history that's been carefully tucked away ever since.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2020, 06:12:00 pm »
A draw will do, but I do hope we win just to get back to winning after the last two matches.

I think Fabinho goes back into midfield with Rhy's partnering Matip. Hendo and Fab with Jones, I just can't see Gini playing another game after having played the previous 3 without much of a break.

Mo,Bobby and Mane to start imo.

Bekcer

Kostas
Williams
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Jones

Salah
Firmino
Mane

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 06:27:09 pm »
Think it'll be full strength here with the rest afterwards being almost a full holiday!

Becker

Williams
Fabinho
Matip
Robertson

Wijnaldum
Henderson

Jota
Mane
Firmino
Salah

Just have a feeling we'll throw the big four up front. Mad this is tomorrow!

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 06:28:07 pm »
got to win this game

we need some good news - as long as BT Sport doesn't broadcast i............oh shit!

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Online stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 06:33:11 pm »
Thanks for the OP, I know that a significant amount of time can go into the match day posts.

A couple of comments. I don’t want to see our front 4 starting.......I just think it leads us wide open to the counter. Rest Mane as he has looked tired.

I’m glad Henderson is back and he and Fabinho plus, say Gini, will be a strong midfield.

We need to get the point we need and to take this seriously as Ajax are in form. If we don’t put 100% effort in then I can see Ajax sneaking a win.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:35:09 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 06:42:12 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Trend. Not sure how confident I feel about this. They are on a good run of form. As a result I think we do need to go strong, work on the basis that all who play can do so again on Sunday and then promise then next Wednesday off.
If we do go strong I think we have enough to win. There y9ou are, I know what to think now 😀🧣🧣
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 06:43:41 pm »
Grim, but not unsurprising news from Juergen on Thiago btw. Two major bits of success for the blue shite in this season. Hope he gets back in time to get us to the big double.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 06:44:29 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Thanks for the op Trend. Not sure how confident I feel about this. They are on a good run of form. As a result I think we do need to go strong, work on the basis that all who play can do so again on Sunday and then promise then next Wednesday off.
If we do go strong I think we have enough to win. There y9ou are, I know what to think now 😀🧣🧣

fitness levels don't work like that, as much as I understand your point, if our best players are not available to play tomorrow because of them being in the Red fitness wise , and will be able to do so by Sunday, then they don't play tomorrow.

Offline ConqueredAllOfEurope

• Shit, just realised I can have a custom title...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 06:47:54 pm »
As we get a decent rest between this and Wolves, we should go as strong as possible:

Allison

Neco
Fabinho
Matip
Robertson

Hendo
Gini
Jones

Salah
Jota/Firmino
Mane

Alternatively, if we start all of our front 4, it wouldn't surprise me if Curtis Jones starts right back.
"We have to change from doubter to believer... now"

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2020, 06:52:58 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised to see Williams in at centre back and Fabinho in midfield. Probably to give Wijnaldum a rest or if Klopp doesn't want to start Henderson straight away coming off the back of a muscle injury. Can't see many other changes unless Jota starts instead of 1 of the front 3.

I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2020, 06:55:14 pm »
Nothing would surprise me in a season where villa beats us 7-2
Just want to to go as far as possible in the CL given our injuries and stay in around the top of the league until the end of jan and see how our first team looks from there

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »
A draw will do, but I do hope we win just to get back to winning after the last two matches.

I think Fabinho goes back into midfield with Rhy's partnering Matip. Hendo and Fab with Jones, I just can't see Gini playing another game after having played the previous 3 without much of a break.

Mo,Bobby and Mane to start imo.

Bekcer

Kostas
Williams
Matip
Robertson

Fabinho
Henderson
Jones

Salah
Firmino
Mane

I think this is the side I would pick.

You could still play Jota and not play Williams.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2020, 07:59:59 pm »
I think this is the side I would pick.

You could still play Jota and not play Williams.

I'd probably put Fabinho at right back.

We can't be carrying anyone, Ajax are a good side and will be up for it like Atalanta.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2020, 08:42:10 pm »
                      Ali

Gerrard  Williams Firmino Deegan 

Fabhino Henderson Shaq

Mo Jota   Mane

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2020, 09:01:37 pm »
Go as strong as fitness levels permit us and get the result to qualify and then give the lads Wednesday and Thursday off before training for Wolves on Sunday. 

Allison

Williams Matip Fabinho Robbo

Jones Hendo Gini

Salah Jota Mane

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2020, 09:07:20 pm »
Just get some healthy for Wolves and beyond. Gotta hunch on Adrian

Adrian

Neco Williams Matip Robbo

Jones Fab Hendo

Salah Bob Mane

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2020, 09:08:33 pm »
Gini won't pay. If you think Kloppo worries about lads in the "Red Zone" well Gini is "Blood Red". We don't want to flog him.  :D

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2020, 09:08:53 pm »
Just get some healthy for Wolves and beyond. Gotta hunch on Adrian

Adrian

Neco Williams Matip Robbo

Jones Fab Hendo

Salah Bob Mane

Why would Adrain be starting unless Ali is injured?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2020, 09:12:42 pm »
I’ve heard that ally is injured... can anyone confirm?

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2020, 09:13:40 pm »

Where was that reported ?

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2020, 09:16:03 pm »
Nowhere... just the rumour mill- hope it’s not true... thought maybe someone could confirm either way. Just heard it’s Covid - hope it’s false or a mistake
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 09:17:57 pm by GreenLaneRed27 »

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:48 pm »
It's only based on Adrian posting up some pictures of himself in training.
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2020, 09:18:32 pm »

Rumours of a positive covid test

Offline GreenLaneRed27

• Kopite
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:39 pm »
It's only based on Adrian posting up some pictures of himself in training.

Hope it’s this... wouldn’t be surprised! Apparently the other two goalies featured on the training photo gallery today and not alli... possibly a case of people putting 2&2 together

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:40 pm »
becker was not in the training session today based on the pictures, the other two keepers were.

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2020, 09:21:22 pm »
Seems every game we have at least 1 player going down injured.
Hope this game is an exception.

Anyone know how bad Milner is?  ...was it just tightness or a full tear?
My cup is barely even half empty

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 09:22:59 pm »
Let’s hope he’s ok

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 09:23:34 pm »
Seems every game we have at least 1 player going down injured.
Hope this game is an exception.

Anyone know how bad Milner is?  ...was it just tightness or a full tear?

Klopp didn't say.

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 09:24:10 pm »
Rumours of a positive covid test

Apparently so.
Internet terrorist

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 09:28:23 pm »
Doubt this breaks tonight when embargo lifted but the luck we have been dealt this season is fucking ridiculous