Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1 (Willems 7' Mane 28' 40', Salah 71')  (Read 29990 times)

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
Re: PL: Liverpool 3 Newcastle 1 (Willems 7' Mane 28' 40', Salah 71')
« Reply #320 on: September 15, 2019, 03:57:03 pm »
Hate these stats. The last one said whatever team was leading at X date had won the PL every time (but once and it was us). And we didn’t win again.

Think we will win again this season though.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #321 on: September 15, 2019, 03:59:28 pm »

Shame the front three don't get on and don't play for each other...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #322 on: September 15, 2019, 04:52:51 pm »
Think we will win again this season though.

Just keep on winning is all we can do.

Without Laporete, City look vulnerable if you can get at their defence, and there is a stat which shows they are very vulnerable to set pieces. They have conceded the greatest amount of their goals from set pieces.

Try to get a large point advantage before Laporte comes back and we stand a very good chance of getting no 19

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #323 on: September 15, 2019, 05:07:14 pm »
Great result and performance, and nice to come back from behind again and win a game comfortably. No panic, no drama, just a professional job all round. You just get the feeling now with this team that if we go a goal down - we'll come back, if it's 0-0 - we'll find the breakthrough, and if we're in front - we're not losing. What a transformation we've seen in confidence and mentality.

There were times in the 2nd half we were just so good in possession, and the passing and movement from everyone was great to watch. What I liked more than anything is that at 3-1 we were still causing them problems, and with 15 minutes to go Newcastle were strolling around like they'd been beaten - something we'd never do even at 3-1 down.

Firmino was off the charts in every aspect and its good to see the media giving credit where it's due and appreciating his class and skill. The way our front 3 move defenders around to find space is a joy to watch, and the days of worrying about parked buses seem to be behind us.

City looked more than vulnerable yesterday, and although it's early days they look all over the place defensively without Kompany and Laporte, and Guardiola and the players were clearly rattled. It's only 5 games in but we've done exactly what we needed to do - win every game, set the early pace, and take care of business. Onwards and upwards.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #324 on: September 15, 2019, 06:36:35 pm »
The distance between his left foot and his right hand is longer than the distance between his left foot and his left hand. That's why keepers dive like that for top corner shots across their body
I understand that part, he can cover a greater part of the goal with his right, clear. In this case it seemed the shot was very close to him, and using his left hand might have given him that fraction of a second to put something on the ball.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #325 on: September 15, 2019, 06:39:38 pm »
I understand that part, he can cover a greater part of the goal with his right, clear. In this case it seemed the shot was very close to him, and using his left hand might have given him that fraction of a second to put something on the ball.

Not if he couldn't reach it :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Capon Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #326 on: September 15, 2019, 06:46:06 pm »
Steve McManaman ''Newcastle have come here with a plan to win the coin flip and switch Liverpool around. Lets see how long this plan works?''

Till half time Steve ye shabby haired antwacky c*nt
MAM!!! OUR BARRYS WEARING ME UNDIES AGAIN!! TELL HIM WILL YE!!

https://thedeadradiobroadcast.bandcamp.com/releases
https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #327 on: September 15, 2019, 06:57:32 pm »
Not if he couldn't reach it :D
Absolutely. To me (and to be frank, to quite a lot of other people) it seemed that he could have reached it using his left hand. It doesn't matter, and it might have galvanised our team, that was playing lacklustre before.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: September 15, 2019, 07:32:21 pm »
Absolutely. To me (and to be frank, to quite a lot of other people) it seemed that he could have reached it using his left hand. It doesn't matter, and it might have galvanised our team, that was playing lacklustre before.

Not at the speed the ball was going in real time. Adrian did everything expected of any keeper.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #329 on: September 15, 2019, 08:14:46 pm »
People are genuinely knocking the keeper for that goal...?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: September 15, 2019, 08:24:50 pm »
I don't think he would saved it but the technique was wrong, no? He went with his stronger hand but be should have led with his left hand?

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #331 on: September 15, 2019, 08:35:16 pm »
Great result and performance, and nice to come back from behind again and win a game comfortably. No panic, no drama, just a professional job all round. You just get the feeling now with this team that if we go a goal down - we're not losing, if it's 0-0 - we're not losing, and if we're in front - we're not losing. What a transformation we've seen in confidence and mentality.

tweaked that for ya ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #332 on: September 15, 2019, 08:39:43 pm »

When I saw it live I thought he had gone for it with the wrong hand. But watching it back, the speed that is hit at is phenomenal.
So I guess what I am saying is when I saw it go in, I thought uhm.... But in reality it was unstoppable. Just a great hit.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: September 15, 2019, 08:40:12 pm »
Not at the speed the ball was going in real time. Adrian did everything expected of any keeper.

Any keeper but Alisson, but it's honestly unfair to judge Adrian against arguably the best keeper in the world right now.

Adrian is a steady enough pair of hands; he's hardly Pickford, Mignolet or - gawd forbid - Calamity James.  Those are keepers who always had an obvious clanger in them - and I'm not talking about the moon dwelling kind.

(now expects Capon to photoshop a clanger popping out of Pickford's arse - although tbf having a clanger up your arse would make any job difficult, let alone being a professional footballer)

Popcorn's Art

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: September 15, 2019, 08:41:44 pm »

It was struck brilliantly, no keeper would have saved it.

The mistake was giving him time and space to come inside and take the shot. Nine times out of ten he doesn't hit it like that though.

Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2019, 09:46:18 pm »
Very poor performance, City will destroy us.
joking. common LFC

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2019, 10:39:40 pm »
Any keeper but Alisson, but it's honestly unfair to judge Adrian against arguably the best keeper in the world right now.

Adrian is a steady enough pair of hands; he's hardly Pickford, Mignolet or - gawd forbid - Calamity James.  Those are keepers who always had an obvious clanger in them - and I'm not talking about the moon dwelling kind.

(now expects Capon to photoshop a clanger popping out of Pickford's arse - although tbf having a clanger up your arse would make any job difficult, let alone being a professional footballer)

I'm not sure Alisson gets to that either. That was a bullet of a shot at a great angle, hit with some speed.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2019, 10:40:53 pm »
I don't think he would saved it but the technique was wrong, no? He went with his stronger hand but be should have led with his left hand?

No. He went for it with the correct hand. If it was from the other side, he'd have gone for it with his left. It wasn't about his "strong" hand, it was about his reach.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: September 15, 2019, 10:57:57 pm »
I'm not sure Alisson gets to that either. That was a bullet of a shot at a great angle, hit with some speed.

Yeah.  I watched it in the pub and pretty much felt it was unstoppable.  The problem was letting him get to shoot in the first place.  But although I had some nerves I was still very confident we'd get back into the game.  I was most worried at 2-1, as I'm haunted my memories of teams spawning equalisers against us.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #339 on: September 16, 2019, 12:14:21 am »

Shame the front three don't get on and don't play for each other...

What I like most about this picture is that you can't see the white bits on the socks

Offline free_at_last

• Legacy Fan
  • we all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #340 on: September 16, 2019, 12:45:46 am »
What I like most about this picture is that you can't see the white bits on the socks
I find my eyes drawn to those white socks...some of the players have them virtually hidden..some have quite a large amount of white sock. Who thought that up? It is kind of European Champions small problems but Shanks invented the all red strip for a reason...why roll it back?

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #341 on: September 16, 2019, 03:31:45 am »

We've been spolied by Allison
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Macca201188

• Kopite
« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2019, 07:51:00 am »
It was great to see Gini and Ox making runs beyond the front 3 on several occassions, something i thought we could do much better last season.
The reds are comin up the hill boys....

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2019, 08:43:27 am »
A lot of people talking about the title already. We're playing well, but haven't really played anyone of note yet, and only Southampton could really be considered tricky given the context. The CL games haven't started to have an influence either. I'm quietly optimistic, but like to keep it quiet for now. Chelsea will be our first big challenge, I think. Let's see.

A long way to go.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:01 am »
Hate these stats. The last one said whatever team was leading at X date had won the PL every time (but once and it was us). And we didn’t win again.
Thing is, City have set the bar so high, we are going to need to break all sorts of records to challenge for top spot.
I kinda think the next 5 games thread should be more like. Are we going to break the most home wins in a row record for us, for anyone. Same with Away wins, Same with wins. Most points by Christmas by , etc , etc...
Not the sorts of records Moyes so liked breaking at Man Utd. Though.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2019, 08:44:59 am »
A lot of people talking about the title already. We're playing well, but haven't really played anyone of note yet, and only Southampton could really be considered tricky given the context. The CL games haven't started to have an influence either. I'm quietly optimistic, but like to keep it quiet for now. Chelsea will be our first big challenge, I think. Let's see.

A long way to go.
Ah come on, we've probably got a 48% chance of winning it this season, 50/50 us and city with a small outside chance of someone else.
We might fall short again, but it's time to believe.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2019, 09:10:47 am »

There's just always the feeling he might so Adrian has an impossible act to follow.
 I wouldn't hammer Trent or Adrian for that goal. The technique to make the space and the shot was Peak Suarez level.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2019, 09:21:49 am »
This game reminded me of supporting Liverpool when I was a kid before I started going.
I missed the 1st 10, got in and saw we were 1 down. My reaction was a shrug as I had complete confidence we'd turn it around and from hearing and reading other peoples' views, that was pretty much the consensus. There seemed to a a universal acceptance that we would win.

My memory as a 8-9 year old was of how often we seemed to fall behind at home and then virtually always come back to win, so I looked at 1976/77. We went behind seven times at home that season and came back to win 6 and draw 1. Often the goals against came in the 1st 30, sometimes we'd turn it round by half time, a couple of times we'd be behind at half time, but we always came back.
I knew it as a kid, the crowd must've known it, Everton supporting family knew it, and the opposition must have known it. Score and then wait for the onslaught.

That season didn't end too badly from memory. The team and crowd have come a long way.

Offline bertiemee

• Anny Roader
  • The Anny Road Aggro
« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2019, 09:26:00 am »
No point starting a new thread for this.

What's our record like shooting against the Kop first half? You see the opposition do it every now and then as a sort of mindgame. Arsenal did it a few weeks back as well. Off the top of my head I can only think of significant wins like Chelsea 2005, City 2014 and City twice in 2018. I'm guessing we've lost plenty too but I've just forgotten.

Thought that myself when it happened. If anything, seems to get us pissed off and playing better anyway. Never worried when we lose the coin toss

Offline bertiemee

• Anny Roader
  • The Anny Road Aggro
« Reply #349 on: September 16, 2019, 09:31:34 am »
Not the best bit of advertising, most people couldn't read it and those that could didnt understand it! ;D

Doing a bit of googling and found this... https://www.mccainfoodservice.co.uk/beermunch/

Maybe a bit of PR work from there. Didn't go down too well though as no ones heard of beer munch before.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:54 am »

A long way to go.
Sure, noone ever suggests Burnley away is any kind of challenge or that top 4 contenders (no laughing..!) Arsenal are potentially tricky.

Offline Goalposts for Jumpers

• Mon Ranager's Alter-Ego.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 16, 2019, 09:36:17 am »
Sure, noone ever suggests Burnley away is any kind of challenge or that top 4 contenders (no laughing..!) Arsenal are potentially tricky.

Not this Arsenal.

Burnley, yeah, maybe. But we'd still expect to beat them. I'd expect City to beat them comfortably.

Still got aways at Chelsea, Spurs, both Mancs - a long way to go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:49:55 am by Goalposts for Jumpers »

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 16, 2019, 09:37:47 am »
Not this Arsenal.

Burnley, yeah, maybe. But we'd still expect to beat them. I'd expect City to beat them comfortably.

Still got aways at Chelsea, Spurs, both Mancs - along way to go.

Sorry but I wasn't arguing with the idea that there are tougher games to come. Just don't necessarily agree we have to downplay the games we've done well in to make that point.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #353 on: September 16, 2019, 09:56:38 am »
It’s a great point he’s making to be fair. After five games, there is a long way to go.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #354 on: September 16, 2019, 10:12:50 am »
Jurgen Klopp bemused by VAR decision as controversy continues after Liverpool's Joel Matip penalty claim...
If against Chelsea later and this happens to us... Eerrgghh!!! ** For sure we were comfortable and won against Newcastle, no complaint.

It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #355 on: September 16, 2019, 10:15:24 am »
Okay I'll take that aa... From the ref view, it's not a penalty from his difficult angle then.
He couldn't see it, then he's not sure where you can't give a penalty WITHOUT 100% sure, at least.
Difficult angle.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: September 16, 2019, 10:22:56 am »
Jurgen Klopp bemused by VAR decision as controversy continues after Liverpool's Joel Matip penalty claim...
If against Chelsea later and this happens to us... Eerrgghh!!! ** For sure we were comfortable and won against Newcastle, no complaint.

A lot of people said "if VAR had been here when Skrtel player for us, we'd be facing a penalty every game". This was exactly the type of foul they meant, really no excuse not to use VAR there. And the FA can count themselves luck Mane scored soon after because there would be a lot of talk about this otherwise.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #357 on: September 16, 2019, 10:52:04 am »
I love this team so much. All of them.

1-0 down, didn't panic and stayed patient until we found rhythm and our way into the game.

They show so much maturity and strength constantly.

We've always wanted to see Gerrard and Carragher with PL winners' medals because they were local and one of us, but I haven't seen a Liverpool team in my lifetime anywhere near as good as this one. And IMO they deserve to be the team to win Liverpool our first PL title. Whether they do it or not is another story because City are an unbelievable team but I hope they have it within the lifespan of this team and manger to go on and do it, because it would be an incredible achievement. They think there were celebrations after #6 but they would not know what hit them if they won a PL title.

I think Jurgen has it drilled into them that they need to go again with 90+ points and seeing them go 0-1 down and not panic was great to see. Even after Mane equalised, he didn't celebrate - he ushered everyone back to restart the game - this team is now at a stage where they aren't used to not winning or not being in a winning position. They don't like it. They will of course drop points this season, but it will be how they react that will tell us how far they can push again this season.

I don't think we played particularly bad to go 0-1 down, it was a lovely goal and we restricted them to very few opportunities - it feels like they are starting to find a bit of rhythm now. We started the season doing what we needed to do, rarely getting out of 3rd gear but it feels like over the next 5 games we will find ourselves in a position where we need to pick it up again. Chelsea is another test - a different test.

Firmino rightly getting the praise after his cameo but another word for Mane - he delivers so many big moments and goals at crucial times. He deserves to be spoken about with the same level of importance as VVD, Alisson and Salah do.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 12:27:02 pm by Ciara (with a capital "C") »

Offline The Naby Keita fan club

• Kopite
« Reply #358 on: September 16, 2019, 11:37:48 am »
Afraid we would panic after goal down. We kept our plan together. Origi´s injury was a kind of gift as Bobby started our pressing game. Sign of champions.
Nice post Ciara.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: September 16, 2019, 11:43:19 am »
Afraid we would panic after goal down. We kept our plan together. Origi´s injury was a kind of gift as Bobby started our pressing game. Sign of champions.
Nice post Ciara.

TBF we had already equalised when Origi went off, I think. Bobby was brilliant but I think we would've run out winners even if Origi had stayed on.