Author Topic: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021  (Read 54230 times)

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 2nd Jan 2018
« Reply #400 on: May 5, 2021, 07:47:25 pm »
Permission granted.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
Re: Inside No. 9 - BBC2 New series starts 10th May 2021
« Reply #402 on: May 6, 2021, 08:49:04 pm »
And a thread name change to celebrate (haven't got a clue what this is all about but a request is a request :wave)

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #403 on: May 10, 2021, 09:44:14 pm »
I wasn't Fleabagging, I was Mirandaing.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #404 on: May 10, 2021, 10:55:47 pm »
I wasn't Fleabagging, I was Mirandaing.

I didn't get that bit. Everything else was solid gold. I never like the 'horror' episodes of this but love when they play with a concept in an overall light hearted way.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #405 on: May 11, 2021, 11:47:37 am »
Didn't like this opening episode, thought it was quite weak, but did have a good cast.
FAME makes a man take things over

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #406 on: May 11, 2021, 11:52:46 am »
I didn't get that bit. Everything else was solid gold. I never like the 'horror' episodes of this but love when they play with a concept in an overall light hearted way.

I missed that like last night (so many one liners flying about!), but in both those shows, Fleabag and Miranda break the 4th wall to talk directly into the camera in the way the character did last night.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #407 on: May 11, 2021, 01:16:11 pm »
Gonna watch this later on tonight. Love it usually

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #408 on: May 11, 2021, 02:45:40 pm »
I missed that like last night (so many one liners flying about!), but in both those shows, Fleabag and Miranda break the 4th wall to talk directly into the camera in the way the character did last night.

Ah right. I've never watched either.

Also, I was amazed to find out that the Harlequin character was Kevin Bishop. Dunno what he's been doing recently but I quite liked his sketch show in *checks* 2008!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #409 on: May 11, 2021, 02:51:12 pm »
Ah right. I've never watched either.

Also, I was amazed to find out that the Harlequin character was Kevin Bishop. Dunno what he's been doing recently but I quite liked his sketch show in *checks* 2008!

Do you remember Star Stories? Was pretty funny in a very un-PC way. He also seems to know Hassinator on Twitter (course he does).

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #410 on: May 11, 2021, 05:56:36 pm »
Do you remember Star Stories? Was pretty funny in a very un-PC way. He also seems to know Hassinator on Twitter (course he does).

Yeah, I saw a few. One with Beckham (with Super Hans as Terry "Spain? Piece of piss" Venables). I don't remember that many more.

Me and a mate still quote the Mind Cop from Bishop's own show, all this time later. "What did you do then, you sick fuck? Oh no. You raped her, didn't you". We try to avoid being overheard.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #411 on: May 11, 2021, 08:08:15 pm »
I enjoyed that but don’t think it will be one of the more memorable ones. Good fun TV but the issue with IN9 is that at its best it’s up there with the best things on TV in the past decade. By its own standards the episode was quite average but that’s not a criticism. So much to enjoy in it too, innumerable references ;D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #412 on: May 11, 2021, 09:42:12 pm »
I loved it - it was quite self-indulgent but they've earned the right to do whatever they like. As Columbina says, "...it's like something a drama teacher would have a wank to, but hey, it's series six..."

It's worth looking at the history of Commedia dell'arte if you're not familiar with it. Wuthering Heist was a classic scenario with many of the standard characters and the costumes and masks followed the traditional style. The two posh but hopeless lovers (Innamorati) are the only characters who aren't masked.

There were some nods to Shakespeare and to English Pantomime, Music Hall and of course Punch & Judy which all drew on the traditions of Commedia dell'arte.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #413 on: May 12, 2021, 12:41:11 am »
Indeed. I thought it was excellent.

All that, crossed with Reservoir Dogs.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #414 on: May 12, 2021, 08:15:37 am »
I loved it - really clever with lots of references. I always enjoy the slightly silly ones.
Spoiler
Didn't get the bit at the end when the twin appeared though
[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #415 on: May 12, 2021, 08:27:14 am »
I loved it - really clever with lots of references. I always enjoy the slightly silly ones.
Spoiler
Didn't get the bit at the end when the twin appeared though
[close]

The bit about the ham sandwich, lean? Had me giggling.

At the beginning when he entered he spoke about an Echo didn’t he? But I’m not completely sure why that was in there!

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #416 on: May 12, 2021, 10:28:20 am »
I didn't get that either - the reviews seemed to suggest it was just playful / random.

I like the reference to the Derek Bentley case, good one for legal anoraks!

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: May 12, 2021, 10:44:57 am »
Was brilliant that, just nothing else like it on TV. I love that the BBC just trust them to do whatever they want. So much in there, need to watch it all again really which I will do today.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #418 on: May 12, 2021, 11:37:19 am »
I laughed out loud at the Chicago...Alaska...Trinidad and Tobago skit.

Offline RMG

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #419 on: May 12, 2021, 12:00:09 pm »
Not watched the new one yet but the last series was very poor.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #420 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:09 pm »
Not watched the new one yet but the last series was very poor.

Looking at the episode list for last year I do think it was a little more miss than hit for me, I liked the ref one and the magician one was very, very clever but barely remember how the others went. One of them was just a sequence of scenes set in a kitchen and I don't remember it even having a mystery or story of note beyond worrying about Christmas.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #421 on: May 12, 2021, 01:10:12 pm »
Looking at the episode list for last year I do think it was a little more miss than hit for me, I liked the ref one and the magician one was very, very clever but barely remember how the others went. One of them was just a sequence of scenes set in a kitchen and I don't remember it even having a mystery or story of note beyond worrying about Christmas.
Wasn't the kitchen one about the fact the dad had gone to kill someone as some kind of revenge?

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #422 on: May 12, 2021, 01:23:11 pm »
I don't think it's ever been 'very poor' - sometimes the standard drops a bit, but it's still usually better than 90% of the stuff on TV.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #423 on: May 12, 2021, 02:10:57 pm »
Wasn't the kitchen one about the fact the dad had gone to kill someone as some kind of revenge?

Yes, I think that was implied in the events, but that doesn't really make it any sort of story. I just remember being incredibly underwhelmed by that episode.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: May 12, 2021, 02:33:17 pm »
I actually thought the kitchen/Christmas one was one of the best things they've ever done. Different strokes and all that, but I love the way they're playing around with stuff that they obviously love and admire like a kitchen-sink drama in that episode and Commedia dell’arte in this one.

One of the things they do so well is not explain backstory all the time, but at the same time making you feel like there's so much backstory to all of their characters. That kitchen sink episode was a perfect example of that imo.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:57:20 pm by gregor »

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: May 12, 2021, 03:23:58 pm »
I actually thought the kitchen/Christmas one was one of the best things they've ever done.

Hell yes.  For me, it was a story about unconditional love and the lengths people would go to protect their family and what they are willing to forgive… or not forgive

Horses for courses agreed, but the outstanding episode of S5 in my mind.

Spoiler
Turned out it was the mother who had actually gone out and ran over the loan shark hassling her son.
[close]

Online IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #426 on: May 12, 2021, 04:34:17 pm »
The bit about the ham sandwich, lean? Had me giggling.

At the beginning when he entered he spoke about an Echo didn’t he? But I’m not completely sure why that was in there!
This episode must’ve been right up your street - loads of dad jokes and puns  ;D  :P

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: May 15, 2021, 09:50:38 am »
The last episode by far the weakest of the season, but overall a good season.

I guessed the twist of this immediately when I saw the name of the episode.

Realised I previously missed the last episode of S5.  So just watched it before starting the new series.

I quite liked it and honestly didn't see the twist coming at all.  Saying that, I didn't give much thought to the title and can defo see how some people could have guessed it.

Thought the last scene was pretty bloody terrifying to be honest.  Although S3E1 (The Devil of Christmas) was the scariest episode for me.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: May 15, 2021, 10:41:58 am »
Thought this new series opener was wonderful, very clever.  The likes of Reservoir Dogs and Snatch combined with slapstick and masked theatre.

So many nods to different genres it was hard to keep up.  The actual script for that episode must have been extremely complex.    I also got Tommy Cooper and the Three Stooges vibes to name but two.   

The Captain in the comfy armchair was so funny :)

I laughed out loud at the Chicago...Alaska...Trinidad and Tobago skit.

Absolutely brilliant that was. I actually shouted "Jamaica" at the TV. :)

Pemberton said they had planned to do a reveal of all the characters at the end like they used to, but didn't have filming time.

“But the other thing that we didn’t manage to do is that instead of our usual credits, we were going to take our bows and remove our masks, so that people would see the actor Kevin Bishop underneath and it would have been a really nice flourish at the end. It’s almost like ‘You Have Been Watching…’ like they used to do.”

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #429 on: May 17, 2021, 10:31:13 pm »
Less my sort of thing this time, but still good. Uncomfortable viewing and I can't decide how to feel about the ending.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: May 22, 2021, 10:19:49 am »
Really Enjoyed episode 2. 

If the episode had ended a scene earlier like I expected, it really wold have been especially uncomfortable viewing.  I wonder if S&P considered it?  I personally am so glad it didn’t.

Spoiler
If the episode implied that Simon actually had sex with Spencer, essentially making Spencer his unwilling partner In every sense of the word.  Raped even.
[close]

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: May 24, 2021, 10:26:03 pm »
Tonight's was brilliant, the ideas and writing is superb.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: May 26, 2021, 09:13:03 am »
Yeah, this weeks was great.

Spoiler
Left you guessing right until the end which of the 3 characters was the actual "bad guy".

One question from me though.  Who was it who actually shot poor Felix?  I'm guessing MI5 or similar secret service sniper?
[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #433 on: May 26, 2021, 09:20:11 am »
Really Enjoyed episode 2. 

If the episode had ended a scene earlier like I expected, it really wold have been especially uncomfortable viewing.  I wonder if S&P considered it?  I personally am so glad it didn’t.

Spoiler
If the episode implied that Simon actually had sex with Spencer, essentially making Spencer his unwilling partner In every sense of the word.  Raped even.
[close]

I’m a bit behind so only just seen episode 2.

Clever twist at the end, as ever.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: May 26, 2021, 09:25:36 am »
I’m a bit behind so only just seen episode 2.

Clever twist at the end, as ever.

What I love about their writing is they get you to care for their characters even though you aren't entirely sure who is the actual villain of the piece until the very end.

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: May 26, 2021, 09:37:22 am »
Yeah, this weeks was great.

Spoiler
Left you guessing right until the end which of the 3 characters was the actual "bad guy".

One question from me though.  Who was it who actually shot poor Felix?  I'm guessing MI5 or similar secret service sniper?
[close]

Spoiler
It was the MI5 agent in the next room. He then puts the gun used to fire the shot in his hand, and the spent cartridge on the floor.
[close]

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2021, 09:37:49 am »
What I love about their writing is they get you to care for their characters even though you aren't entirely sure who is the actual villain of the piece until the very end.

Yeah. That was one where you were definitely on your toes so to speak. Sheer smith’s character definitely seemed a wrong ‘un from early on.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2021, 09:42:43 am »
Spoiler
It was the MI5 agent in the next room. He then puts the gun used to fire the shot in his hand, and the spent cartridge on the floor.
[close]

Spoiler
Surely it was someone outside? I thought the M15 agent in the next room shot the other guy, then someone outside shot Felix which is why she chucked him the hairdryer (to make it look like he had a gun?
[close]
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2021, 09:49:43 am »
Spoiler
Surely it was someone outside? I thought the M15 agent in the next room shot the other guy, then someone outside shot Felix which is why she chucked him the hairdryer (to make it look like he had a gun?
[close]

Yes agreed

Offline Craig S

• KOP CONDUCTOR
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2021, 09:52:37 am »
Sorry, yes you are right, got the names mixed up!