Author Topic: Them and Us: Birmingham City  (Read 8735 times)

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
  • Super Title: Keep off the Grass!
Them and Us: Birmingham City
« on: November 4, 2004, 10:19:59 pm »
With the European adventure back on track our thoughts turn to the domestic campaign and the visit of Birmingham City.  Now seemingly firmly ensconced in the Premier league the Blue side of Birmingham have not enjoyed the best start to their season.  Injury has robbed them of the services of their best forward, something we can unfortunatlely empathise with.  Leading the line will be Emile Heskey, but will it be the limping confidence free zone that we saw too often last season or the inspired striker that terrorised the Blues at St Andrews when last we met?

For an insight into the thoughts of our Brummie counterparts we turned to John Baker of www.bluesmuse.com and the intriguingly monikered IPFreely of www.singingtheblues.co.uk.  Whatever you think of his opinions I think you'll agree that his writing has a nice flow to it.

Enough already.  Time to break out the thumbscrews, crack open another vial of pentothal and find out what the midlanders reckon to their chances at Anfield this Saturday.  RAWK would like to thank John  and IP for taking the time to share their opinions. :wave

RAWK:  How has the season began for Birmingham?

IPFreely:  Bloody awful - too many new players introduced at the same time, injuries to key players, dodgy refereeing decisions early in the season, all combining to produce a complete loss of confidence whenever in sight of goal nowadays.

Blue Muse:  The league table don't never-no-not lie I'm afraid. Us fans had good reason to think we had turned the corner in regard to our trophy-less history, but we haven't yet.

RAWK:  What are your expectations for this season? Have they changed from day one?

IPFreely:We're in for a relegation battle.   This is traditional fayre for Birmingham fans over the last 130 years.  We had hoped for better this season but the injuries knackered that one up for us.
Blue Muse: Yeh, gone from certs for Europe to victiorious in the relegation battle. That's something we've always been good at.

RAWK:  Who do you think is your most important player(s)?

Blue Muse:  David Dunn when fit, but THE most important player isn't in the team yet obviously is a goalscorer!

IPFreely: Mikael Forssell.  Currently out injured.

RAWK:  Your worst player(s)?

Blue Muse: Anyone we get at a car boot sale at Liverpool FC wack. Oh, OK, I wouldn't want to put that label on anyone as it wouldn't help their confidence if they saw it, but there are some that should see less of the first team, and the reverse applies too. I do rate Heskey highly though and he has contributed a lot.

IPFreely: Clinton Morrison.  Currently out injured.

RAWK:  What do you expect in the way of atmosphere, singing, pies etc from your trip to Anfield?  How does it compare to rival grounds?

IPFreely: I used to love going to Anfield, for the razor-sharp humour and for the footballing knowledge of the Scouse crowd.  Nowadays, however, it seems to have become a poor man's Old Trafford, largely populated by sad wannabees from the West Country, Midlands, Ireland etc. who know feck all bout football but want to associate themselves with a 'big club'.  Where did it all go wrong?

Blue Muse: Look!, I'm in the USA, but I'll do me best loike, our kid. I did however see the last game between us [see http://www.bluesmuse.com/bcfcMay92004.htm] Anfield at what it used to be in the 60's through to the 90's, and we generally play well up there. I was at St. Andrews in May when you beat us 3-0, but I actually don't think you'll have it quite so easy this time.

RAWK:  Any young up and coming players in the squad that we might not know about?

IPFreely: Quite a few decent up and coming players, but not in the squad!  Bruce seems frightened to use youngsters.  Go and watch the reserves instead.  They don't charge us £45 to watch the reserves, either.

Blue Muse: Sure, but they're unlikely to get first team action. Darren Carter is a regular for the England young 'uns squad, but he's way to risky to put into the first team apparently. <insert angry smiley here He's on loan at Sunderland right now, and only Carlisle and Plymouth would have been worse trips for his Mum.

RAWK:  What impression have you made of Steve Bruce as a manager and given his past history how confident are you that he'll stay at the club?

IPFreely:  Overall, few complaints.  He's assembled a squad that looks (on paper) "too good to go down".  Along the way he's dropped a few clangers (notably selling Andy Johnson and letting Luciano Figueroa go), but given that he's bought and sold about fifty players, it would be a miracle if he hadn't dropped the occasional bollock along the way.  Regarding his 'history', that's pretty much what it is - history.  He's one of the longest-serving managers in the Premiership now, behind only Ferguson, Curbishley, Wenger, Allardyce, Keegan and McLaren.   He had his chance to go to Newcastle recently but turned it down (like every other decent manager they approached, leaving them with 'fifth choice Souness'), that would indicate that he's here for a long time yet.  He won't get the Man Utd job - their investors will demand a more fashionable foreign coach (does that sound familiar, chaps?)

Blue Muse: You'd think he'd follow the Alex ferguson model, but he's too stubborn to try new things. It's not impossible that he might be asked to leave rather than another 'bigger' club taking him, as our results since March have been appallling.

RAWK:  What sort of line-up will Bruce put out against us?

IPFreely One that will play some decent football, pass the ball around nicely, do lots of stepovers and dragbacks, then promptly brick 'emselves when the goal comes into view!

Blue Muse:  He'll clog the midfield with ball-winners, but given our recent results he ought to be trying something more creative. If you tell the Pool keeper to hoof it over our midfield we'll be in big trouble.

RAWK:  Do you have a favourite/best chant(s) and perhaps any that require an explanation?

IPFreely: We gave up chanting for Lent in 2002 and forgot to restart.

Blue Muse:  No!  'Keep Right on to the End of the Road' is our Club song because we'll always be on that road, and never pull off to parade a trophy. You don't want me to explain 'We all piss in a red and white pot' do ya'?! Honest, I like you guys . . . you ain't Arsenal. <tip-toeing out the back door smiley

RAWK:  Where do you expect Birmigham and Liverpool to finish in the Premier League?

IPFreely: At opposite ends of the table.  We'll be the ones with the stiff necks.

Blue Muse: Liverpool 6th. Birmingham 14th. Where I hope they'll finish is another matter!

RAWK:  Which Liverpool player will you fear the most?

IPFreely: Gerrard, obviously.  The best English midfielder around. 

Blue Muse:  Tommy smith, erm, 'ang on, I put me clocks back a bit too far over the weekend. Fear? Well, I wish Baros would lose form, and we'd get him from ya'.

RAWK:  And your feelings on the new 'Spanish flavour' Liverpool. Rafa Benitez himself and our new recruits?

Blue Muse:  I don't care for it because whenever I have salsa it spoils the flavour of red wine, and it's at those times I have to resort to beer. Latins are notorious cheats and put in some great dives even though they're miles from a swimming pool. Look at Campo the clown over at Bolton. See, told ya'.

IPFreely:Not too impressed by either Benitez or the Spanish Legion.  Frankly, they seem to be a bunch of nonentities - I'd be hard pushed to name more than two or three of the current Liverpool team.  Hope it works out, though - it's boring seeing Man Utd, Arse and Chelsea at the top all the time, it'd be good to see Liverpool up there.

RAWK:  Care to predict the score?  Go on!

IPFreely I'll predict half the score - Birmingham 0   It's a contractual obligation

Blue Muse: Liverpool 2 Birmingham City 1. <shrugs shoulders smiley <departs and puts head in electric oven
« Last Edit: November 5, 2004, 07:50:42 pm by Armin »
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
Re: Them and Us: Birmingham City
« Reply #1 on: November 4, 2004, 10:22:07 pm »
As usual, good stuff

One complaint; Not one Kipper Tie mentioned
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline wellsie82

• Where's me tractorrrrrrrrr?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 4, 2004, 10:25:26 pm »
RAWK:  Where do you expect Birmigham and Liverpool to finish in the Premier League?

IPFreely: At opposite ends of the table.  We'll be the ones with the stiff necks.

RAWK:  Care to predict the score?  Go on!

IPFreely I'll predict half the score - Birmingham 0   It's a contractual obligation

Blue Muse: Liverpool 2 Birmingham City 1. <shrugs shoulders smiley <departs and puts head in electric oven

;D ;D

loved them bits

good read that, nice feature  :)
the best cashback site on the net.... Click here to get signed up

Offline Big Ig

• His is totally non-existent, you know?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 4, 2004, 11:31:41 pm »
Awww Armin, what happened to the name change?

Spyin Kop, Operation Anfield Espionage, Behind Enemy Lines etc etc??

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #4 on: November 4, 2004, 11:41:12 pm »
It should be them Or Us

There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: November 4, 2004, 11:50:24 pm »
RAWK:  What sort of line-up will Bruce put out against us?

Blue Muse:  He'll clog the midfield with ball-winners, but given our recent results he ought to be trying something more creative. If you tell the Pool keeper to hoof it over our midfield we'll be in big trouble.

Anyone for 3 points?  ;D ;D
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 5, 2004, 12:57:45 am »
We shall see in the morrow.
« Last Edit: November 5, 2004, 05:18:42 am by Armin »
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Obi Wan Gomi

• Would like to see more moustaches in the dressing room
  • Legacy Fan
  • we'll win it six times
« Reply #7 on: November 5, 2004, 03:28:28 am »
great read again armin

they dont rate us to highly do they  ::)
77-78-81-84-05

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #8 on: November 5, 2004, 09:29:05 am »
Awww Armin, what happened to the name change?

Spyin Kop, Operation Anfield Espionage, Behind Enemy Lines etc etc??

Er, Um, the decision is er still under executive review...    :-\
Well, I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #9 on: November 5, 2004, 10:50:01 am »
Decide Spyin' Kop or I'm not reading it again  ;)

Those lads don't know much outside of brum, do they?

Liverpool 6th? Who do they think's going to be above us...

and the spanish "noneties" line had me in stitches :lmao
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #10 on: November 5, 2004, 12:28:31 pm »
That Freely sounded alright. But again they dont know anything of us.....i wish they would know in ways but in other ways its great they dont know much about us as i said in a previous one because of the shock factor.

One thing this thread series is highlighting however is the distinct lack of knowledge about Spanish football. Ah well hopefully come Staurday night they'll know plenty about our Xabi.

Cheers brummies.  :wave
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 5, 2004, 01:38:22 pm »
RAWK: And your feelings on the new 'Spanish flavour' Liverpool. Rafa Benitez himself and our new recruits?

IPFreely:Not too impressed by either Benitez or the Spanish Legion. Frankly, they seem to be a bunch of nonentities - I'd be hard pushed to name more than two or three of the current Liverpool team. Hope it works out, though - it's boring seeing Man Utd, Arse and Chelsea at the top all the time, it'd be good to see Liverpool up there.

In for a shock then  ;D
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2004, 03:02:40 pm »

RAWK:  What do you expect in the way of atmosphere, singing, pies etc from your trip to Anfield?  How does it compare to rival grounds?

IPFreely: I used to love going to Anfield, for the razor-sharp humour and for the footballing knowledge of the Scouse crowd.  Nowadays, however, it seems to have become a poor man's Old Trafford, largely populated by sad wannabees from the West Country, Midlands, Ireland etc. who know feck all bout football but want to associate themselves with a 'big club'.  Where did it all go wrong?

What a stupid reply.  :wanker

Offline Pooch

• Not a fan of Michael Winner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dont keep calling me Shirley!
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2004, 03:46:44 pm »
"however, it seems to have become a poor man's Old Trafford"

Stopped reading after that. Fucking twat. :upyours :upyours :wanker

Every single beat is red !

Offline Rushian

• Blanco y en botella
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡No Pasarán!
    • Red and White Kop
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2004, 03:49:34 pm »
a lot of fair comments there
If you're going to sign up on Betfair and fancy getting a free £25 on sign-up then use my refer code 749DCNQGK and I'll also get a £25 bonus ;)

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #15 on: November 5, 2004, 04:49:15 pm »
It would be nice to get there post-match reaction as well. In fairness, we know very little about clubs outside of Liverpool and they are merely going on what the media is saying. It would be interesting to get their post-match reaction, see if we exceeded their expectations...
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #16 on: November 5, 2004, 04:50:06 pm »
The Spanish nonentities bit is great  ;D  I guess he's not seen much of Xabi, Luis Garcia and Rafa then!

Apart from that funny bit, thought it was very good, some good answers.
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #17 on: November 5, 2004, 05:28:30 pm »
It would be nice to get there post-match reaction as well. In fairness, we know very little about clubs outside of Liverpool and they are merely going on what the media is saying. It would be interesting to get their post-match reaction, see if we exceeded their expectations...

Yeah i like that idea. Especially as they are largely unaware of us, so...a view post-game after they've had a chance to see about us for themselves would be interesting i think.

Got my backing for what its worth anyway.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

John Baker, Blues Muse

« Reply #18 on: November 5, 2004, 07:21:27 pm »
Hello loike our kids!  :o

'Armin' found this wanker in the USA loike . . . and how the hell did you know I wuz a wanker anyway?! Was that you I saw at the window last night?  :o :butt

You played us off the park in May in all honesty, and one would expect you'd go a step further this time, but ye gads!, we're an odd club at the mo. Just hoping Emilio can do the 'back to haunt his old club' thing like everyone else does.

I have to go back to the early 60's when you lot were just another Brummagem, but you've won everything since. I'd like to think that we're about to set off on such a journey too. Yep, I'm just another Brummie dreamer loike.  8)

Well, all the best for tomorrow. Have to go and get me prayer mat out, which has been worn down to the lino this season.  :'(

:wave

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #19 on: November 5, 2004, 07:40:02 pm »
Hello loike our kids!  :o

'Armin' found this wanker in the USA loike . . . and how the hell did you know I wuz a wanker anyway?! Was that you I saw at the window last night?  :o :butt

You played us off the park in May in all honesty, and one would expect you'd go a step further this time, but ye gads!, we're an odd club at the mo. Just hoping Emilio can do the 'back to haunt his old club' thing like everyone else does.

I have to go back to the early 60's when you lot were just another Brummagem, but you've won everything since. I'd like to think that we're about to set off on such a journey too. Yep, I'm just another Brummie dreamer loike.  8)

Well, all the best for tomorrow. Have to go and get me prayer mat out, which has been worn down to the lino this season.  :'(

:wave

nice one mate.

All the best to your lot too.

And take care of our Emilio!

that limping thing he does by the way - is just for attention  ;D
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline Aidan_B

• Trust me, I am a doctor. HJC Champions - Nov 2003
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gone, perhaps forgotten
    • EnviroBuild
« Reply #20 on: November 5, 2004, 07:59:51 pm »
Enjoy reading those.

Offline mr_mad_master

• Posts Utter Shite
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mwa
« Reply #21 on: November 6, 2004, 09:36:03 am »
great read again armin

they dont rate us to highly do they  ::)
Not at all :wanker but they sound worse about themsleves than .tv
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS, THE CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE 77 78 81 84 05

Offline Murf

• RAWK Wino
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Bob Paisley 10 years gone but not forgotten
« Reply #22 on: November 6, 2004, 11:05:44 am »
Where did you get those bunch of wankers from?

If you cant read an opinion from the other side without calling them wankers ffs lad,imagine you on the premier ship in the panel with the other fans fuckin kicking off :butt
never forget the 96....... justice   www.contrast.org/hillsborough

NO GAME ON APRIL THE 15th please write to

Rick Parry
Chief Executive
Liverpool Football Club
Anfield Road
Liverpool
L4 0TH

Offline Bannside Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Proud to be Red
« Reply #23 on: November 6, 2004, 10:45:37 pm »

If you cant read an opinion from the other side without calling them wankers ffs lad,imagine you on the premier ship in the panel with the other fans fuckin kicking off :butt

Read it again John, the reply he gave about the atmosphere at Anfield compared to how it used to be and who is to blame. :no

If you feel the same mate I'll fuckin' pack it in.

John Baker, Blues Muse

« Reply #24 on: November 7, 2004, 06:50:41 am »
Oi! It wasn't me who made a comment about the atmosphere, honest!

Anyway, I predicted 2-1 to you lot, and we kept up our end of the bargain, but who was earmarked to score your two?!  :-X  If it was Baros, then you should have played the bugger.  8)

Well, good luck for the remainder of the season my friends, and warm greetings from a spud-laden Idaho.

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #25 on: November 7, 2004, 11:28:53 am »
Where did you get those bunch of wankers from?

Without the people who kindly respond to our questions there would be no article.  You're welcome to criticise their opinions but your comment is insulting and out of line. 

Offline Armin

• Reformed RAWK Traitor
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm up on the pavement
« Reply #26 on: November 7, 2004, 11:30:34 am »

Read it again John, the reply he gave about the atmosphere at Anfield compared to how it used to be and who is to blame. :no

If you feel the same mate I'll fuckin' pack it in.

Attack the argument by all means, but Murf was 100% correct to challenge that classless post.