Author Topic: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together  (Read 129062 times)

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:08:33 pm »

Tony Barrett
1 minute ago

Rise of Kelly puts England defender’s Liverpool career at risk

Glen Johnson is facing a battle to save his Liverpool career after Roy Hodgson accused the right back of falling below the standards expected of an England international.

The Liverpool manager has become increasingly frustrated at Johnson’s slump in form and the emergence of Martin Kelly, 20, at right back in recent weeks has prompted him to make it clear to the former West Ham United, Chelsea and Portsmouth player that he will not be guaranteed to return to the starting line-up even after he has recovered from a groin injury.

Apart from the opening weeks of his Liverpool career at the start of last season, Johnson has struggled to justify the £18 million Rafael Benítez paid for him 16 months ago and there is a growing feeling at the club that a transfer would be in the best interests of everyone, with scouts detailed to look for a possible experienced replacement in addition to the promising Kelly.

New England Sports Ventures, the new Liverpool owner, is looking to introduce a more circumspect approach to player expenditure in terms of transfer fees and salaries, and the likelihood is that it would question whether Johnson, who is paid about £120,000 per week, is providing value for money, particularly having been recruited at such a significant initial outlay and one that was swelled by an agent’s fee of an additional £2 million.

Johnson has been ruled out of this evening’s Barclays Premier League match away to Stoke City, but Hodgson is unlikely to provide the 26-year-old with a return even when he is able to prove that he has put his recent injury problems behind him.

The manager wants to see tangible proof that fitness is accompanied by form before selecting Johnson.

“The big thing is whether he will be fit enough to play any part in the game, that’s more relevant than whether he will get his place back,” Hodgson said. “He’s the England right back and if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in. But then he’d have to play like the England right back and up to now, to be quite frank, he’s not performed — very often, at least — to the level I’d expect of him.

“You would have to ask him the question, ‘Do you think you’re playing at top form and are you playing like the best right back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ and if he says no then you’d have to ask the question, ‘Why not?’ ”

Tottenham Hotspur would be one possible destination for Johnson were a parting of the ways to become inevitable. The full back enjoyed the best form of his career working under Harry Redknapp, the Spurs manager, while the pair were at Portsmouth. Juventus are also believed to be interested but it is doubtful that the player will be sold during the January transfer window, a move next summer being the more likely option.

Liverpool, meanwhile, are continuing to monitor the development of Adam Barton, the 19-year-old midfield player who is considered one of the brightest prospects at Preston North End. Barton withdrew from the Northern Ireland squad this year to maintain his chances of playing for England.

So which clogger will be replacing Johnson this winter? i'm thinking Luke Young must be quite high up on Roy's list. Clearly an attacking right back doesn't fit into Roy's hit and hope footballing philosophy.

Offline tball79

• Main Stander
Re: Roy Hodgson tells Glen Johnson to get his act together
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 11:11:12 pm »
Not a hope is he on £120,000 a week. Post is flawed.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 11:12:04 pm »
I wish I had an "ignore" button for Roy these days. I haven't actually wished that upon even the most cretinous on RAWK apart from once or twice.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline TravisBickle

• KnowsVotersAreFickle!
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK n' Roll
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:17 pm »
Obviously I am no fan of Hodgson but Johnson really does need a good talking to. He's acting like a total sponger on current form which is such a shame given his ability. He's the best full-back in England in terms of natural skill.
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea and he conquered the bloody world! And that's what I wanted; for Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline thekremlin

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • nothing like a nice cup of tea
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:24 pm »
shouldn't this sort of thing be kept behind closed doors? although roy does have a point this time.

Offline gargra

• Kemlynite
    • The Caren Diaries
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 11:13:32 pm »
pretty please just stop talking roy!

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:04 pm »
Surely not more of this bullshit from Hodgson. Is there anyone he won't insult ?

Full interview for source please
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:05 pm »
Ignoring the tabloid style headline, it's no different to what many people on here have said about Johnson. He can't win really can he?
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:11 pm »
During the last couple of month Roy Hodgson finally showed the real meaning of "loosing it" to me. Thank you.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 11:14:14 pm »
Well someone needs to give him a kick up the arse.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:13 pm »
Publicly criticising one of our players, well in Roy you fucking cretin!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 11:17:53 pm by DangerScouse »

Offline Stanno06

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Scouse not English
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:39 pm »
Cue another Roybash
"Rock and Roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died" - American Graffiti

www.plasma-metal-art.com

Offline diaren

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:41 pm »
He's not wrong.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 11:15:42 pm »
Obviously I am no fan of Hodgson but Johnson really does need a good talking to. He's acting like a total sponger on current form which is such a shame given his ability. He's the best full-back in England in terms of natural skill.
Johnson's been suffering from injuries. What he needs is a confidence boost and games to get back to form, not being told that Liverpool will be looking to sell him off. And to Spurs as well.

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:01 pm »
No more 'Roy in the media' threads please... 
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Sevo

• Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy joy.
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:22 pm »
Hodgson might be right about Johnson, but it doesn't help team morale to publically criticise a player on the eve of a match. Particularly when Hodgson is proving himself to be incompetent on a weekly basis. Has there been a week in Hodgson's awful reign when he hasn't made a complete dick of himself?

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:38 pm »
Will he say the same thing to Caesar Carragher?  Although with Caesar, it is more than a loss in form.

The problem might be that Hodgson actually thinks that Carragher is playing well enough.

The fact that he has a number of points regarding Johnson doesn't mean that he should be making them IN PUBLIC.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 11:16:53 pm »
Well Johnson does have a fight on his hands if he wants his place back at right back thats for sure.

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:17:00 pm »
Well someone needs to give him a kick up the arse.

A manager actually managing, surely not?

If this was someone who shall not be named you just know there'd be a load of nodding heads and back slapping.

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 11:17:28 pm »
He's not wrong.

Are there any other managers who continually criticise the majority of their squad ?

I can't think of any
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline Robotforaday

• Fifty shades off white
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »

He's being forced to play within a system that doesn't play to his strengths. Now, ok, he's a professional and that's no reason to mope. Nevertheless, if I was a virtuoso percussionist in an orchestra, rated as a world class timpanist, and the conductor said "now I just want you to concentrate on playing the triangle", I'd suspect I would feel a little constrained. And, yes, I wouldn't be on top form, because I'm not being ALLOWED to do what I'm able to do.

There needs to be a proper conversation between Johnson and the coaching staff, one that is two way. One in which the coaching staff explain that they expect Glen to up his game, and one in which Glen explains what an attacking full back is and what he can offer the team if the team doesn't try and play with a deep flat back 4.

And a note for Roy: making snide comments in the press is NOT having a proper conversation.

Offline jymbojetset

• Anny Roader
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:23 pm »
So much for the arm around the shoulder approach then!

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:24 pm »

If this was someone who shall not be named you just know there'd be a load of nodding heads and back slapping.

Then he should stop thinking he's managing the media, and start managing the players.
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:25 pm »
Well Johnson does have a fight on his hands if he wants his place back at right back thats for sure.

Nobody said Hodgson LIED (although he has in the past, egregiously so). Many of us are challenging the wisdom of his making those true statements in PUBLIC.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:38 pm »
Kelly isn't any better than Johnson.

Offline CHRed

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 11:18:56 pm »
I agree - needs to be said

Johnson has been a liability - needs to sort himself out. Not committed on the pitch enough for me

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 11:19:05 pm »
Cant criticise Roy for this, Johnson needs a kick up the arse and Roy has given him it

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:20 pm »
Cant criticise Roy for this, Johnson needs a kick up the arse and Roy has given him it

I can. He's not being criticized for being wrong, he's being criticized for talking negatively (even if truthfully) about one of our players AGAIN in PUBLIC.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline RedinExile

• credulous ingratiating simpleton
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 11:20:23 pm »

and one that was swelled by an agent’s fee of an additional £2 million.

The manager wants to see tangible proof that fitness is accompanied by form before selecting Johnson.

On the first note how does a fucking agent justify £2M fucking quid, what a scandal. Football needs to cut this shit out big time.

On the second note, how is that possible within the bounds of the natural world?
There are always more fortresses to torch.

Offline xerxes1

• Arch Revisionist. Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton. Has no agenda other than the truth. Descendant of Prince John.
  • Legacy Fan
  • L-I-V,E-R-P-,double OL, Liverpool FC.
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:14 pm »
Glen is a bit of an enigma. Chelsea couldn't tame him, loads of practise at Pompey, looks a good footballer, but never a great defender last season. Could be a wing back in a flexible 3-5-2, 5-3-2 formation but doesnt look like a solid full back in a 4-4 -2.

That is what managers are paid to sort out.
"I've never felt being in a minority of one was in any way an indication that I might be in error"

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:22 pm »
Kelly isn't any better than Johnson.

Never said he was but he could be in the near future thats for sure.

At this moment Kelly is more solid and Johnson has been making too many mistakes.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:24 pm »
Ignoring the tabloid style headline, it's no different to what many people on here have said about Johnson. He can't win really can he?

No problems with telling him that he's not been up to standard behind closed doors but what can be achieved by publicly saying it?

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 11:21:42 pm »

Would you fuck off with that bollox, sick and tired of you peddling the same horseshit. The irony of your own post is clearly lost on you.

Offline Breitner

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 11:23:10 pm »
I can. He's not being criticized for being wrong, he's being criticized for talking negatively (even if truthfully) about one of our players AGAIN in PUBLIC.

And what? It's hardly a new phenomenon. Plenty of better players than Johnson have had their arse slapped publically when they're not pulling their weight.

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:47 pm »
Never said he was but he could be in the near future thats for sure.

At this moment Kelly is more solid and Johnson has been making too many mistakes.
Nah he isn't. People may let the whole "young scouse kid come through the academy" thing blind them but he's been nowhere solid as people claim he has been. Wigan had a great time against him on Weds.  Plus, Kelly is a centre back and i would prefer it if he isn't made to sacrifice himself for a position he doesn't excel.

Offline JovaJova

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 11:24:59 pm »

Isn't that exactly the point ie in six years we never got any of this nonsense from 'he who shall not be named'

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:01 pm »
Think it's a good shout.  No way should Johnson take Kelly's place at RB, not after his recent displays.  Johnson's been poor this term.  I'd like to see him played right midfield, with Kelly behind.  Great attacking (when he's on his game), not so good defending.

Those using this as yet another baton to swing at Roy's head need to rem that both Rafa and Houllier criticised Gerrard through the media when he was out of form, and the result was vastly improved performances.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:14 pm »
And what? It's hardly a new phenomenon. Plenty of better players than Johnson have had their arse slapped publically when they're not pulling their weight.

By whom? Name the Liverpool manager who slapped the arse of a player publically when he (the player) was not pulling his weight.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Robbo1980

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:56 pm »
And what? It's hardly a new phenomenon. Plenty of better players than Johnson have had their arse slapped publically when they're not pulling their weight

yes exactly

Roy might have tried it behind closed doors and didnt get the response he wanted, this might work as Glen will know Capello will be seeing this and England is his priority

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2010, 11:26:44 pm »

But you will still say rubbish like Roy is only interested in the English players.

Seriously most people are not fans of Roy on Rawk but you just make sure he cant win no matter what and thats a joke.

Roy isnt wrong in what he has to say and as far I am concerned Johnson does need a kick up the arse.