Author Topic: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC  (Read 233506 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European Cup Final 1/6/19. LFC v THFC
« Reply #680 on: May 13, 2019, 07:03:32 pm »
This will be the longest pre-match thread ever. ;D

Three weeks works for and against both sides.  If they want to risk Kane he'll be rusty as feck, and we've not been so dependent on Salah this year.  We have dangerous players all over the pitch.  We may be sluggish, but they will be too.

Spurs will fight hard, but perhaps at some point they will start to think, "well we never really expected to get this far anyway..." and their heads may begin to drop as the spectacle overwhelms them.

I'm going to age 10 years by the time kick off is around.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: May 13, 2019, 07:13:21 pm »
Some info on our preparations

- given 5 days off
- training camp in Spain for a week
- the week leading up to the final, will be back in Liverpool, flying out to Madrid 2 days before final

Echo:

jurgen Klopp has decided to give his Liverpool players five days off in order to allow them to recharge their batteries following the end of the Premier League season.

The Reds boss believes some rest and relaxation is crucial before their preparations start for the Champions League final against Tottenham in Madrid on Saturday, June 1.

After light recovery sessions at Melwood on Monday and Tuesday, the players will be allowed to fly off on a short holiday. Virgil van Dijk has already declared that he's going to “enjoy the beach”.

Klopp's squad will then reconvene next Monday for a week-long training camp in Spain.

The manager believes that the top-class training facilities and the warm weather makes the Costa del Sol the perfect place to work with his players away from all the hype in the build up to the final.

Klopp also took the Reds there ahead of last year's final against Real Madrid in Kiev and prior to February's last 16 tie against Bayern Munich.

The squad will return to Merseyside at the start of the week before the final to fine-tune their battle plan at Melwood. They are expected to fly out to Madrid two days prior to the showdown with Spurs.

Offline oxenstierna

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #682 on: May 13, 2019, 07:17:51 pm »
Hopefully mate, but narrative is starting again that Kloppo is yet to win anything with us and has lost his last 6 finals.  :(

Poch with a 100 % loss rate in finals  ;)

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #683 on: May 13, 2019, 07:20:56 pm »
Do we ever come back from these Spain training camps ready to go again  ;D

Seems like every time we come back from them, we take an age to get going again. Hopefully not this time

Offline Rainbow Laces

• Anny Roader
  • We are the men of Shankly's best
« Reply #684 on: May 13, 2019, 07:25:49 pm »
I don't like the idea of travelling. Just stay put, get your work done and then get out there a few days before the final.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #685 on: May 13, 2019, 07:27:47 pm »
I don't like the idea of travelling. Just stay put, get your work done and then get out there a few days before the final.

They got 20 days to prepare, traveling isn't going to impact them. They have more than enough time to rest and prepare.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: May 13, 2019, 07:28:12 pm »
Do we ever come back from these Spain training camps ready to go again  ;D

Seems like every time we come back from them, we take an age to get going again. Hopefully not this time

Yes.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #687 on: May 13, 2019, 07:51:21 pm »
I've said before but I think he'll be torn between wanting to win the CL and wanting to be fit for the Nations League.

Certainly if he plays before he's ready it will hurt him AND Spurs.  Might expect him as a sub for the last half hour perhaps - or he might just go full kit wanker a la John Terry and just want to get on the pitch to lift the thing. 

We've got the chance to rest a few players who picked up knocks and get Firminho back, who'll likely be in better form than Kane.  The break works in our favour.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #688 on: May 13, 2019, 07:58:36 pm »
We've been given the home dressing room even though we were the designated away team

I don't know if that's a good omen or not

After last years final, omens mean fuck all

Read so many of them for last year :lmao

Offline TealC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #689 on: May 13, 2019, 08:14:59 pm »
After last years final, omens mean fuck all

Read so many of them for last year :lmao

Heard.. They were getting tedious in the end ;D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #690 on: May 13, 2019, 08:17:54 pm »
So strange how different I feel from this time last year. Last year I felt like we battered our way to the final but I always knew how incredibly tough it was going to be given we were up against a team going for their 3rd in a row and we still had weaknesses at the back. This year I feel like we've not played our best too often in the competition but really feel like we should win this time - however I'm a hundred times more nervous. The way I see it, unless you're in a final against Barca, Madrid or the current City team then you should be favourites to win - but the missed chances over the years have been painful. Just want us to play our best, get some rub of the green and bring a trophy home.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline hkkop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #691 on: May 13, 2019, 08:25:28 pm »
We've been given the home dressing room even though we were the designated away team

I don't know if that's a good omen or not

Because the trophy looks better in the home dressing room. 
UEFA's PR know their stuff.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #692 on: May 13, 2019, 08:25:33 pm »
Don't worry, Spurs can't win it.
There's not a 1 in the year.

Offline wellred82

• Now considers himself properly educated around the significance of his birthday.....
  • Kopite
« Reply #693 on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:09 pm »
We will go in as favourites. But you need step back if you think we are simply going to wipe the floor with them.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: May 13, 2019, 08:31:36 pm »
We will go in as favourites. But you need step back if you think we are simply going to wipe the floor with them.

Not seen many who think that.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #695 on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:01 pm »
So strange how different I feel from this time last year. Last year I felt like we battered our way to the final but I always knew how incredibly tough it was going to be given we were up against a team going for their 3rd in a row and we still had weaknesses at the back. This year I feel like we've not played our best too often in the competition but really feel like we should win this time - however I'm a hundred times more nervous. The way I see it, unless you're in a final against Barca, Madrid or the current City team then you should be favourites to win - but the missed chances over the years have been painful. Just want us to play our best, get some rub of the green and bring a trophy home.

I agree with most of this. The only thing I would disagree with is about playing our best.

I know last year we probably played a more attacking, free flowing way but I think this year we’ve played a more effective and consistent way and a way designed to put ourselves in position to win trophy’s more often.

I think most of us felt at the beginning of the season we were winning without playing well, but as the season moved on it became obvious this was by design. We may look less devastating now but from a results point of view we’re actually far more so imo.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 08:41:59 pm by duvva »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: May 13, 2019, 08:37:37 pm »
I agree with most of this. The only thing I would disagree with is about playing our best.

I know last year we probably played a more attacking, free flowing way but I think this year we’ve played a more effective and consistent way and a way designed to put ourselves in position to win trophy’s more often.

I think most of us felt at the beginning of the season we were winning without playing well, but as the season moved on it became obvious this was by design. We may look less devasting now but from a results point of view we’re actually far more so imo.

Yet we scored more goals this year in the league than last year. We also had a significantly easier group last year in Europe compared to what we had to deal with this year.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #697 on: May 13, 2019, 08:54:33 pm »
I’m not a fan of the 5 days holiday and then away to warm weather training.

I think all the momentum is lost...... we drew the games after having a break etc.

I know it’s been a hard season but they have potentially 120 minutes left to play

We always lose that 1%-2% which can make all the difference...... would rather they stayed on it.... with the same training approach.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #698 on: May 13, 2019, 08:58:57 pm »

I think all the momentum is lost...... we drew the games after having a break etc.

I know it’s been a hard season but they have potentially 120 minutes left to play

We always lose that 1%-2% which can make all the difference...... would rather they stayed on it.... with the same training approach.

You would prefer them to train as normal for the next three weeks? Spurs face the same problem after all.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #699 on: May 13, 2019, 09:03:13 pm »

I think in this instance the break is the right move. The players clearly need some rest and as I said earlier I suspect this warm weather training will be different to the ones earlier in the season. Pretty sure they know what they’re doing by now and wouldn’t expect it to hamper our performance in 3 weeks time.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #700 on: May 13, 2019, 09:08:11 pm »

I hate this narrative and this theory that the draws were because of the break and when people don't look at the context.

Secondly, there is a 20 day gap,so training in Spain or training in Liverpool makes feck all difference in this scenario. It's hardly that significant in temperature in comparison from Madrid to where we will be training for a week in Spain, considering we're playing in Madrid it's hardly a night and day difference.

Stay on what? We're not going to be training every single day for 20 days.

Offline reddragon

• Main Stander
« Reply #701 on: May 13, 2019, 09:08:46 pm »
i know what you mean - but imagine being Juventus - 2 wins in 9 appearances!!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #702 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:11 pm »
You would prefer them to train as normal for the next three weeks? Spurs face the same problem after all.
To add,

We could stay at Melwood for 20 days and there would still be a gap between when we last played and when the final takes place.

You would think that a group of professionals at the highest level would know what they're doing considering that they've used this method in the past to help prepare for future matches. But apparently it's too difficult for some to give the club a benefit of the doubt.

Also the preparation earlier in the season that we used, was to help maintain fitness levels for the season left over. Whatever we're doing for the final, is for one game in mind, not for months left of the season. We're not creating another fitness basis.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:12:46 pm by deFacto »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #703 on: May 13, 2019, 09:12:35 pm »
i know what you mean - but imagine being Juventus - 2 wins in 9 appearances!!

Or Bayern losing in 2010 and in 2012 [at their own ground] or Atletico losing both of their consecutive finals to their city rivals.

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #704 on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:21 pm »

So you're not a fan of allowing the players to enjoy a small break and recharge the batteries?

We beat Bayern after one of these breaks...

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #705 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:01 pm »
Or Bayern losing in 2010 and in 2012 [at their own ground] or Atletico losing both of their consecutive finals to their city rivals.

Knock it on the head.  We are different metal, these are men of Klopp’s best.

We go, we deliver, we win!
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!

Offline princeoftherocks

• Legacy Fan
  • black sheep scouse
« Reply #706 on: May 13, 2019, 09:30:59 pm »
There might have been a chance of complacency if we had somehow managed to win the league; but the way it ended, I'd bet nobody is taking anything for granted. 

Saying that, Spurs will be well up for it.  First time in a European final?  Is that right?
dios esta buena

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #707 on: May 13, 2019, 09:31:05 pm »
So you're not a fan of allowing the players to enjoy a small break and recharge the batteries?

One would think that after 4 years at the club, the manager would be equipped with the most amount of information and analysis to see whether or not any sort of ''break'' hinders us in all aspects. Considering that he keeps utilizing it, suggests that there is no issue

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #708 on: May 13, 2019, 09:32:36 pm »

apparently he has evidence that we lose that 1-2%, are you not taking his word for it? ;)

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #709 on: May 13, 2019, 09:33:00 pm »
apparently he has evidence that we lose that 1-2%, are you not taking his word for it? ;)

Does anyone have Klopp's email?

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #710 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:33 pm »
Makes you wonder why the PL season just didn't start at least a week later and give players a little bit more rest after the world cup. That's what most European leagues have done and that's why both European finals are a little bit later.

We're always so keen to start the season as early as possible despite a massive summer tournament.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #711 on: May 13, 2019, 09:37:43 pm »
I'll be watching it on a barstool in Lanzarote ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #712 on: May 13, 2019, 09:41:22 pm »
I'll be watching it on a barstool in Lanzarote ;D

A barstool that transmits BT sports..Wow!
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #713 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:02 pm »
A barstool that transmits BT sports..Wow!

It fuckin better.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #714 on: May 13, 2019, 09:45:31 pm »
It fuckin better.

Was it ill?  :-X
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline SweetSilverSevens

• Kopite
« Reply #715 on: May 13, 2019, 09:51:36 pm »
The only reason Spurs might get some "luck" is if our players become complacent, and our players will not be complacent after what's happened in the league and what happened in Kiev.

Our luck in Istanbul stemmed from Milan's complacency and once we got it back level, we weren't letting them beat us. Spurs' luck in the semifinals came from Ajax's complacency. Once you get complacent it's hard to get your head back in the game again and your head's wrecked by the damage it's done.

Our players will be more driven and determined to do this than the Spurs' players and our quality and the standards we've reached this season will shine through. We will not be complacent.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 09:58:12 pm by SweetSilverSevens »

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #716 on: May 13, 2019, 09:58:59 pm »
There might have been a chance of complacency if we had somehow managed to win the league; but the way it ended, I'd bet nobody is taking anything for granted. 

Saying that, Spurs will be well up for it.  First time in a European final?  Is that right?

First time in a European Cup final. They have won the UEFA twice and the Cup Winners Cup once as well runner's up in another UEFA. Going back a while, so this will be new for a lot of their fans.

Offline davealexred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #717 on: May 13, 2019, 09:59:00 pm »
Will there be any friendly games in the interim period to maintain match fitness?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #718 on: May 13, 2019, 10:00:06 pm »
Will there be any friendly games in the interim period to maintain match fitness?

No

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #719 on: May 13, 2019, 10:54:25 pm »
No

Im sure we will have a couple behind doors games, long break between Wolves and Spurs.
Y.N.W.A.