Author Topic: Doing a masters  (Read 831 times)

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
Doing a masters
« on: October 8, 2019, 02:46:31 pm »
Hello all, I'm currently considering doing a masters degree with the Open University. I studied for my BA degree with them over a six year period whilst working full-time. Does anybody who has a masters feel as though this enhanced your employment prospects significantly?

I've been looking into an MSc in Development Management with the OU, my BA was in social sciences (social policy) and I've been doing a bit of work on Cobalt Housing's (they're based in Fazakerley, Croxteth and Norris Green) homes & neighbourhoods committee the last four months.

I've applied for a few housing association jobs recently and got nowhere really so I've been looking into a masters to see if that strengthens my hand a bit. Had enough of working for Santander now, the place drives me round the bend.
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
Re: Doing a masters
« Reply #1 on: October 8, 2019, 11:53:11 pm »
Congratualtions on applying for a prospective Masters degree
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline Socratease

• RAWK Philosopher
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red & White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 9, 2019, 12:02:07 am »
Hello all, I'm currently considering doing a masters degree with the Open University. I studied for my BA degree with them over a six year period whilst working full-time. Does anybody who has a masters feel as though this enhanced your employment prospects significantly?

I've been looking into an MSc in Development Management with the OU, my BA was in social sciences (social policy) and I've been doing a bit of work on Cobalt Housing's (they're based in Fazakerley, Croxteth and Norris Green) homes & neighbourhoods committee the last four months.

I've applied for a few housing association jobs recently and got nowhere really so I've been looking into a masters to see if that strengthens my hand a bit. Had enough of working for Santander now, the place drives me round the bend.
Report to moderator   Logged

Is it a joke in the joke thread or is it you are so made up about going forward? :D

How do you make a Swiss role?
You push him down the hill!

:D

« Last Edit: October 9, 2019, 12:07:31 am by Socratease »
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 9, 2019, 03:24:41 pm »

Is it a joke in the joke thread or is it you are so made up about going forward? :D

How do you make a Swiss role?
You push him down the hill!

:D

No I'm just looking to see if anybody on here found doing a masters degree worthwhile in terms of enhancing their job prospects etc. haha

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #4 on: October 9, 2019, 06:51:25 pm »
I’ve always felt a Masters is useful for very either specific technical industries or if you are in a large corporate employer. I would suggest calling the places you wanted and didn’t get in and just blunt ask them direct.