Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3422286 times)

Offline Elysian Fields

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Manchester City
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2011, 01:53:07 pm »
From the Telegraph:

By Jeremy Wilson 6:20AM BST 10 May 2011
Follow Jeremy Wilson on Twitter

Comments
According to Redknapp, City already have one or two summer signings agreed that “will blow your brains out” and, with money no object, he expects a top-four finish to act as a springboard for them to fundamentally alter the balance of power in European football.

“I know people in the right positions there have said, ‘Well, the one thing we couldn’t offer was Champions League football’,” said Redknapp. “But they tell me they’ve got one or two players signed already who’ll blow your brains out. They aren’t going to stop until they win the championship and even then the Champions League, are they?

“The man from Abu Dhabi has got so much money. They’re going to spend another £200 million probably this summer.”

City are fourth in the Premier League with a six-point advantage over Tottenham going into Tuesday night’s match at Eastlands, meaning they would effectively clinch their participation in next season’s Champions League with only a draw.

Even if they lost, a win in either of their remaining games against Stoke City or Bolton Wanderers would almost certainly guarantee fourth. There is also the possibility of catching Arsenal in third place, so avoiding the extra qualifying round before the main group phase of the Champions League.

Redknapp admitted that it would take a “miracle” to catch City and believes that they will regard playing in the Champions League as more important than winning the FA Cup final against Stoke on Saturday. He also expects City to challenge strongly against the likes of Real Madrid and Barcelona next season.

“They’ve got a strong squad which is only going to get better because they’ve got unlimited funds to buy anybody they want, and they can pay the wages,” he said. “They’ve got players there now earning £200,000 a week. I mean, it’s crazy, isn’t it? It’s another world really.

“I don’t see what will stop them. They will keep improving their squad until eventually they will win the title.

“Players will go where they get the best deals. If they can get more wages elsewhere, they will go elsewhere, that is the top and bottom of it. I haven’t met too many players who say, ‘I’ll come to you for 40 grand-a-week less than I can get somewhere else because I like you’.”

Redknapp is conscious that it is becoming even more difficult for clubs such as Tottenham, whose ground has a capacity of 36,230, to finish in the top four. City have already spent in excess of £300 million since the takeover by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan in 2008.

“People get carried away but it’s so hard to break into that top four,” said Redknapp. “Who is going to drop out? I don’t think United are going to drop out of the top four. Chelsea? I don’t think they’re going to drop out. Arsenal? They have been there every year. Liverpool are going to improve. So it’s very, very difficult to get into that top four.”

Yet the example of Manchester United, who have won four out of the last five league titles while spending far less than both City and Chelsea does provide Redknapp with hope. “We’ve got good players here,” he said. “Next year, we’ll give it another go and if we can manoeuvre one or two, let one or two go out of the squad and bring one or two who can make the difference, we’ll be right there again.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
Well it would probably be Kaka or Benezema or both?

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:14 pm »
Well it would probably be Kaka or Benezema or both?

More overpriced name tags.  Maybe they'll pick Torres up from Chelsea too.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2011, 01:55:54 pm »
More overpriced name tags.  Maybe they'll pick Torres up from Chelsea too.

Kaka was 60 million
Torres was 50 million

theres 110 million and they can't even break into the first team.

Offline mcfc1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2011, 02:38:55 pm »
It doesn't take a genius to see that Milner was overpriced for the money. I mean you don't need to sign him to see that.

Obviously, but I don't think I put my point across effectively.

Lets take Jo for example. When he was at CSKA he was one of the most promising young strikers around. We signed him and he was/is piss poor. Its easy to say he is a flop but if he continued his form from CSKA for City and bagged loads of goals then he wouldn't have been. The point is that they only way to find out whether he was worth it was to sign him.

Also, transfer fees should be evaluated based on the club too. Tevez was much more valuable to City than United so paying £25m for him was worth it to City. It wasn't for United because they have other players that could do the job. He'd have been worth about £15m to United.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2011, 03:36:06 pm »
“The man from Abu Dhabi..."

Any relation to the one from U.N.C.L.E?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:37:40 pm by Juan Loco »
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »
Any relation to the one from U.N.C.L.E?

Are you (Our Man In) Havanna laugh?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2011, 03:59:57 pm »
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2011, 04:00:57 pm »

I expected so much better from you, Nick. You're usually quite good at Fidel-ling around with words.
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2011, 05:45:30 pm »
I expected so much better from you, Nick. You're usually quite good at Fidel-ling around with words.

Orwell, will have to try harder next time.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2011, 06:35:39 pm »
Orwell, will have to try harder next time.
Che-ers for that.

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2011, 06:46:16 pm »
Hopefully Kaka, he has looked pretty useless everytime Ive seen him recently, a shadow of the player who we saw in the first half at the Ataturk.

Man City are really taking the piss with splashing the money around though, looking at the combined total of all those signings and still just about scraping into 4th place is embarassing. I really dont like the way their fans are also acting like they have a divine right to CL football and their choice of any players in the world just because they have money. If they spent it wisely rather than just throwing ridiculous amounts of cash in a scatter gun approach where one of every 3 or 4 siginings turns out to be a good one they would see a lot better results.

They're not a team, they're a bunch of individuals interested in a big pay day. I'd be surprised if the likes of Yaya Toure and Silva knew what colour Man City played in before hearing of their interest. Just shows how much control the £ has over football at the moment. Hope Stoke batter them in the Cup final.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2011, 06:49:11 pm »
And they'll still be disjointed and a shambles.

As to Rednapp, 'blow your brains out' could be Andy Johnson.
A win for the Liverpool country

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2011, 06:50:02 pm »
You only have to compare Liverpool and Man City to see you can't put a price on commitment.  If Rafa went to City they'd be feckin' dangerous.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline CorKopite

• a tool who can't spell
  • Legacy Fan
  • The house that Shanks built.
« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »
You only have to compare Liverpool and Man City to see you can't put a price on commitment.  If Rafa went to City they'd be feckin' dangerous.
Yup, one of my biggest fears this summer if Mancini gets the sack. Rafa with money to spend would turn them into a quality side.
Bill Shankly-"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"

Mitch Hedberg-"Dogs are forever in the push up position"

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2011, 09:35:29 pm »
Mancini is tactically fucking awful. Only beating Spurs because Spurs can't aim a shot on target.

Offline dobbadobbs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice..
« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2011, 09:38:14 pm »
Mancini is tactically fucking awful. Only beating Spurs because Spurs can't aim a shot on target.

Definately. He's fucking inept and how he got the City gig I do not know.
'Rome wasn't built in a day...but milan was destroyed in 7 minutes'

Xbox Live - Dobbadobbs

Betfair referral code, no catch...£20 each for both of us FWHVCRTRF <----enter this on registering...

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »

He's got the fear mate.

Safety first....always.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2011, 09:41:10 pm »
Definately. He's fucking inept and how he got the City gig I do not know.

I imagine his very good record at Lazio and Inter had something to do with it.
hi

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2011, 09:45:36 pm »
Lets see how we get on next season, more of a level playing field in terms of finance or the ability to buy players. We will be streets ahead of this mob and Spurs? well, I expect them to finish about 9th next season.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2011, 09:46:44 pm »
Never really had a problem with City when I first started following the EPL. My hatred towards them has grown exponentially over the past few years and after future transfer windows I will grow to hate them even more. Hopefully the will provide some laughs along the way. Imagine if they didn't past CL qualifiers.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2011, 09:47:10 pm »
hopefully mancini keeps his job

he's fucking shite.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2011, 09:48:00 pm »
I think we're being harsh on Man City and their manager.  I for one would like to congratulate Man City on their amazing achievement of 4th place.  All they had to do was spend half a billion quid.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »
Breaking into the top 4 next season is going to be tough - and I can't see it being at City's expense.
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2011, 09:55:35 pm »

“The man from Abu Dhabi has got so much money. They’re going to spend another £200 million probably this summer.”

They literally can't do that though can they?

Offline Smashedin

• Kopite
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2011, 09:56:43 pm »
There is a lot of underestimating the drive of (properly) owned and managed american corporations. I'm more than sure that if there is a player we want, there will be a significant push to get him; maybe not to the extent of City, but i'm certain we'll see some big signings this summer.

Offline blah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2011, 09:58:55 pm »
They literally can't do that though can they?

I dont think the fair play rules kick in for another year. And even then there is probably some way around them like the homegrown player rules.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:15 pm »
After watching Man City this season I now know why Sleeping Beauty fell asleep.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #108 on: May 10, 2011, 09:59:22 pm »
£300 million and just about scraped in the last CL place.

Wonderful!
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2011, 10:02:46 pm »
They've improved by a mighty ONE place. After all the money they've spent? Mancini is fucking dour. Their tactics are dour. They scored and sat back.

Their riches will win them things. I wouldn't even credit Mancini if they win the FA Cup. Spend that amount of money and the players should win some fucking trophy!
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Johnny C

• Kopite
« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2011, 10:08:29 pm »
After all of those zillions spent it still ended up being MASSIVE UNDERPERFORMANCE by City just to secure 4th, when you figure that the most statistically relevant indicator of final league position is £ spent on player wages (+90% accurate).  They should have had Top-3 wrapped up ages ago.

I still wouldn't be surprised to see mass exodus up front from City over the summer (e.g. Tevez, Dzeko, Balotelli, etc...) if their agents can find some team to pick up or defer their wages.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2011, 10:09:11 pm »
£300 million and just about scraped in the last CL place.

Wonderful!

its a steady process.what did you expect??
roman took over chelsea in 03 i think.they did not win anything in their first season either.

mancini is defensive sure but that's not  a crime.
the goal at the begining of the season was a cl place.they got that plus the final.
fair play to them.should be interesting to see who they go for in the summer.
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2011, 10:10:02 pm »
its a steady process.what did you expect??
roman took over chelsea in 03 i think.they did not win anything in their first season either.

mancini is defensive sure but that's not  a crime.
the goal at the begining of the season was a cl place.they got that plus the final.
fair play to them.should be interesting to see who they go for in the summer.

Thank fuck you are not the owner of LFC.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »
Depressing seeing such a tin pot club in the CL.

Offline Flinstone

• Whatever you like. Would like to slip it in without making it awkward... Chinese Information Minister
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2011, 10:15:46 pm »
Thank fuck you are not the owner of LFC.

what a smashing reply.really gave some insight into your view of thinking.
very eloquent i must say. :thumbup
The West is finished, China is the future

Offline redoneusa

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2011, 10:20:22 pm »
They spent money like kids in a sweet shop. I think we could easily finish higher than them next season.

Not the first team to spend big money and not go anywhere. For Man City I am sure 4th and CL would be considered a success given there past.

I don't care if they spend 900 million quid, our focus is on what we are doing.
You will find me on Twatter: Follow my Twatter

Offline kelevra

• Legacy Fan
  • You come at the king, you best not miss
« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »
So dull and boring to watch. £400m on that? You have to be kidding me
Twitter - https://twitter.com/NickyGarewal

Controversially, if it came down to a choice between selling Suarez and selling Carroll, I’d sell Suarez.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2011, 10:30:35 pm »
So dull and boring to watch. £400m on that? You have to be kidding me

The more I watch them the shitter they are. Did they really pay £27 million for that lumbering oaf up front? I'd love to know who these players are who 'Arry thinks will 'blow your brains out'. Ashley Cole maybe? I don't think they've done any more than take advantage of our troubles over the last 2 seasons, if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so spectacularly they would be scrapping for a Europa League spot.
 And that backs to the pitch shit their fans do is fucking embarrassing.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2011, 10:32:03 pm »
For all the money city spend, they are gash.. If they want to get serious, get a decent manager...

Or Don't.. that suits me down to the ground.

Offline vitri

• Pool Baron (on away goals). Shit scared of Enemy.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pro-Rafa. Hates it when people say "EPL"
« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2011, 10:35:04 pm »
The more I watch them the shitter they are. Did they really pay £27 million for that lumbering oaf up front? I'd love to know who these players are who 'Arry thinks will 'blow your brains out'. Ashley Cole maybe? I don't think they've done any more than take advantage of our troubles over the last 2 seasons, if we hadn't shot ourselves in the foot so spectacularly they would be scrapping for a Europa League spot.
 And that backs to the pitch shit their fans do is fucking embarrassing.

The commentator said it was a unique celebration.

Think he needs a dictionary.
Everything has an end, only the sausage has two