Author Topic: Virgil Van Dijk (Cpt)  (Read 1446409 times)

Offline Bolrick

• :1,$s?olr?aldr?g
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Virgil Van Dijk PFA Player of the Year, UEFA Player of the Year
« Reply #6120 on: December 1, 2019, 12:43:56 pm »
How many goals did vvd score yesterday ?

Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6121 on: December 1, 2019, 12:44:04 pm »
I think that leaked thing is fake. Salah in third. He was excellent (statitically our biggest threat) as he has been since he has been here. But he didn't get on podium for his 44 goal season (6th with 188 points), how does 27 goals get you on podium (3rd with 179 points). Also how can 9 point drop increase your position by 3 places

Going in again on VVD. Currently 6/1

Trophies count massively and Salah has the biggest trophy in club football to show for his efforts.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6122 on: December 1, 2019, 06:59:57 pm »
VVD Nivea video  :'( so beautiful. This club man..

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6123 on: December 1, 2019, 07:01:45 pm »
Trophies count massively and Salah has the biggest trophy in club football to show for his efforts.

It does now, but treble winners in the last 10 years haven't got a sniff with Ronaldo and Messi passing the parcel.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6124 on: December 1, 2019, 07:03:55 pm »
Watching the Nivea video on Twitter and people are seeing how handsome VVD is.

'Who is this beautiful man here'

'This guy is Peng, I support Liverpool now'

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6125 on: December 2, 2019, 04:50:47 am »
We all know that Messi is the best attacking player in the world skill wise. But he was not the most influential player in world football this year. Van Dijk is the clear choice on merit.

I am also tired of this continual bias towards forwards and strikers. Messi would be one of the worst player sin international player if he were to be playing as centreback. It takes an entirely different set of skills to play as a defender and which are equally worthy of respect and recognition.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6126 on: December 2, 2019, 12:46:01 pm »
Think the leaked list is fake news to be honest

Offline Scouser-Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Allez, Allez, Allez...
« Reply #6127 on: December 2, 2019, 01:11:59 pm »
It would be boss if Virg ended up winning it after all the news stories reporting Messi has already won it.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #6128 on: December 2, 2019, 01:24:22 pm »
I think anyone who knows anything about football already knows Messi is the greatest player ever, and another award to add to his colossal collection won't change that. He's an incredible talent and he's had a great year, but hasn't transformed Barca in the way Virgil did with us.

Although Alisson has clearly helped us, our defensive transformation was well underway before he arrived, and that is down to Virgil and how he has organised and marshaled our defence, made those around him better, helped us play a higher line, and is virtually unbeatable in the air or on the ground. He's without doubt the number one choice this year.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6129 on: December 2, 2019, 01:54:43 pm »
Watching the Nivea video on Twitter and people are seeing how handsome VVD is.

'Who is this beautiful man here'

'This guy is Peng, I support Liverpool now'
About time. I stopped buying Nivea 'cos they had that arsehole Ramos in their ads. 

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #6130 on: December 2, 2019, 05:04:31 pm »

De Ligt 15th on the official list, 9th on the 'fake'. So yeah. That list was fake.

Hazard and Frankie De Jong also wrong per the sheet.

I think Messi will win it but that list was a sham.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6131 on: December 12, 2019, 08:15:06 pm »
While everyone gets excited over Minamino (rightly so). I just wanted to give Virgil a shout for his performance on weds and the rest of his time in a red shirt.

I remember around this time last year, joking with a few non-liverpool fans that he's the best Centre-Half in the history of the game. I wasnt serious, just winding them up.

12 months later, its no joke. I can't claim to have seen them all, or know them all, but he's the best, most well rounded/gifted CB I've seen.

Virgil van Dijk. Greatest of them all.

Online CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #6132 on: December 12, 2019, 08:35:34 pm »
The magnificent bastard
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #6133 on: December 12, 2019, 08:58:35 pm »

jesus lol i dont think i'll ever tire of that gif, when he look's to heaven...... priceless

While everyone gets excited over Minamino (rightly so). I just wanted to give Virgil a shout for his performance on weds and the rest of his time in a red shirt.

I remember around this time last year, joking with a few non-liverpool fans that he's the best Centre-Half in the history of the game. I wasnt serious, just winding them up.

12 months later, its no joke. I can't claim to have seen them all, or know them all, but he's the best, most well rounded/gifted CB I've seen.

that's a huge shout, but opinons and all that

however, at this juncture i think it's fair to say you just can't say that cos he hasn't played in the top flight long enough yet - you're pitting him against phenominal cbs that did it year on year in the top flight, some for decades (yeah, literally), so as wonderful as is, and does he have the potential to be the GOAT of cbs, sure, but let's look 10 years down the line later for that shout
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:02:50 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6134 on: December 12, 2019, 09:11:16 pm »
jesus lol i dont think i'll ever tire of that gif, when he look's to heaven...... priceless

that's a huge shout, but opinons and all that

however, at this juncture i think it's fair to say you just can't say that cos he hasn't played in the top flight long enough yet - you're pitting him against phenominal cbs that did it year on year in the top flight, some for decades (yeah, literally), so as wonderful as is, and does he have the potential to be the GOAT of cbs, sure, but let's look 10 years down the line later for that shout

This is his 5th season in the English top flight. How many seasons does he have to play before he is allowed to be in that discussion? He's been head and shoulders above any other defender since before we signed him.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6135 on: December 12, 2019, 09:19:16 pm »
This is his 5th season in the English top flight. How many seasons does he have to play before he is allowed to be in that discussion? He's been head and shoulders above any other defender since before we signed him.

apart from some southampton games, i've only ever sen vvd in a liverpool shirt, but it would seem to be common opinon that his game has been raised even higher this last season with us and it's at this level that he gets talked about in discussions about the european player of the year

so, yeah, at top level, not long enough to be considered best of all time - just think about it, would a hugely gifted striker that had an insane year be considered above pele, maradona, messi etc as the best of all time, i very much doubt it

btw, this is not a criticism of VVD, he's one of the best cbs i've seen and the best in recent years but he needs to be at top level longer to be in the discussion (imo he's not even teh best cb that's ever played for us - and that cb was heads and shoulders above all comers for many years)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 09:21:10 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6136 on: December 12, 2019, 11:20:14 pm »

I'll back you up on that. He's the best I've seen in my lifetime. He's up there with Maldini and Nesta, and he's possibly more rounded than both while playing in an era where defenders receive less protection and have to defend on the front foot far more.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6137 on: December 12, 2019, 11:47:47 pm »
Outstanding few moments against Salzburg, a few times where he actually had to make an effort and the response was like something few centre backs can do.

Brilliant!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6138 on: December 13, 2019, 12:01:12 am »
I'll back you up on that. He's the best I've seen in my lifetime. He's up there with Maldini and Nesta, and he's possibly more rounded than both while playing in an era where defenders receive less protection and have to defend on the front foot far more.

two gods of the position, maldini for versatility and longevity is arguably in a class of his own among the very best, but for a few seasons (among the decades of top quality ones), nesta was probably the most complete cb i've ever seen, reading of the game was uncanny, quick and graceful (ala hansen, not the quick part tho Al, sorry :D ) just made the position look like an art (the fact he looked like he just walked off a milan catwalk probably added to the illusion) while supremely effective.

and i agree, you look at VVD and you see those greats in him (not so much a beresi, tho he was much more than the animal many label him with), my only point was - he has to maintain it so at the end of his career he can rightly be put among them, these dudes did it season in season out maintaining a very high standard in the main (everyone has dips here and there), with VVD we wait and see (i dont doubt he will at this point, just nowadays as fans we are often very quick to bestow 'one of the/best of all time' greatness before due time)

anyway, that's my last word on it, yes he is fucking awesome, head and shoulders above his peers and what a warm fuzzy feeling you get knowing he is ours  :hally
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 12:08:12 am by Armand9 »

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #6139 on: December 13, 2019, 12:52:24 am »
That Ha-Halaand was whooping and sneering in the tunnel and then he gets the ball in full flight straight down the middle 30 seconds into the game and it looks for all the world like hes free and away and Virg closes the gap in a eyeblink, sits him right on his ass with a shrug of his shoulders and takes the ball away, like candy from a baby.

Oops there goes rabbit he
snaps back to reality

That boy may never recover. Intensive life long therapy may be required. He thought he was good. He'd never even seen good. Now hes got the taste of it in his mouth all right.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #6140 on: December 13, 2019, 12:56:19 am »
two gods of the position, maldini for versatility and longevity is arguably in a class of his own among the very best, but for a few seasons (among the decades of top quality ones), nesta was probably the most complete cb i've ever seen, reading of the game was uncanny, quick and graceful (ala hansen, not the quick part tho Al, sorry :D ) just made the position look like an art (the fact he looked like he just walked off a milan catwalk probably added to the illusion) while supremely effective.

and i agree, you look at VVD and you see those greats in him (not so much a beresi, tho he was much more than the animal many label him with), my only point was - he has to maintain it so at the end of his career he can rightly be put among them, these dudes did it season in season out maintaining a very high standard in the main (everyone has dips here and there), with VVD we wait and see (i dont doubt he will at this point, just nowadays as fans we are often very quick to bestow 'one of the/best of all time' greatness before due time)

anyway, that's my last word on it, yes he is fucking awesome, head and shoulders above his peers and what a warm fuzzy feeling you get knowing he is ours  :hally

Hansen was the quickest player in the Liverpool team in the early 80s. Faster than Rush apparently.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #6141 on: December 13, 2019, 01:21:05 am »
That Ha-Halaand was whooping and sneering in the tunnel and then he gets the ball in full flight straight down the middle 30 seconds into the game and it looks for all the world like hes free and away and Virg closes the gap in a eyeblink, sits him right on his ass with a shrug of his shoulders and takes the ball away, like candy from a baby.

Oops there goes rabbit he
snaps back to reality

That boy may never recover. Intensive life long therapy may be required. He thought he was good. He'd never even seen good. Now hes got the taste of it in his mouth all right.
You can take the boy out of Leeds...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6142 on: December 13, 2019, 01:21:48 am »
Hansen was the quickest player in the Liverpool team in the early 80s. Faster than Rush apparently.

no way that has to be wrong, even lawro was quicker than hansen, he was even known for it, that last ditch tackle when we needed it cos hansen wasn't quick enough to get back, let alone other players that off the top of your head you'd imagine were quicker (craig johnstone, terry mac etc)

i know hansen glided over the ground (and had a long stride), so was probably quicker than the eye thought, but he wasn't quick, lawro was relatively

or maybe im just fucking old and cant remember shit correctly lol
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 01:32:31 am by Armand9 »

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6143 on: December 13, 2019, 04:03:12 am »

I think he will surpass or has already surpassed them, and will be the archetypical central defender standard of excellence for the 21st century. He has everything Nesta and Maldini had but with greater pace and physical strength and aerial ability.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6144 on: December 13, 2019, 09:41:17 am »
I think he will surpass or has already surpassed them, and will be the archetypical central defender standard of excellence for the 21st century. He has everything Nesta and Maldini had but with greater pace and physical strength and aerial ability.

And passing range/execution.

This is kinda my point. List out the great centre halves you've seen.

Maldini, Baresi, Nesta, Ferdinand, Terry, Stam, Ramos (the prick).

Whoever really.

While some might have had certain skills/ability that were superior to Virg (even here I'm struggling to think what exactly) none of them had everything he's got.

Strength
Pace
Acceleration
Aerial ability
Size
Leadership
Composure
Passing ability
Dribbling/moving with the ball.
Positioning/tactical awareness.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6145 on: December 13, 2019, 11:01:47 am »
And passing range/execution.

This is kinda my point. List out the great centre halves you've seen.

Maldini, Baresi, Nesta, Ferdinand, Terry, Stam, Ramos (the prick).

Whoever really.

While some might have had certain skills/ability that were superior to Virg (even here I'm struggling to think what exactly) none of them had everything he's got.

Strength
Pace
Acceleration
Aerial ability
Size
Leadership
Composure
Passing ability
Dribbling/moving with the ball.
Positioning/tactical awareness.

With regards to Ramos, he isn't even worthy of any consideration in any kind of ranking of great defenders given what he regularly resorts to in order to try to stop players who are many times the player he is.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6146 on: December 13, 2019, 11:02:52 am »

I think he has surpassed them in completeness and in terms of the "peak" but has not surpassed them in terms of longevity. I'm not usually the type to put defenders in among the top players of the world but I genuinely think Van Dijk and Alisson are so good and so complete at what they do that they are among not just the best in their positions but the best in the world. Van Dijk especially IMO has to be in contention for the Ballon D'or again on this form. His standards have been incredible and he seems to be back to his very best after a slightly slow start to the season.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6147 on: December 13, 2019, 11:06:26 am »
Being an auld arse enables me to look at VVD with some backdrop and I think he might just be the best we have had in that position. He has the the heading ability of Yeats, the physical strength of Smith, the mobility of Tommo, reads the game like Hyppia, the class of Hansen and the leadership of Emlyn. It's a privilege to watch this guy.

Offline aw1991

• Legacy Fan
  • Love Firmino, hate bastards
« Reply #6148 on: December 13, 2019, 11:09:00 am »
Calm down with this Maldini talk. He was one of the most complete, if not the most complete player of our generation. To be talked about as someone who is of similar level to Maldini is complete enough for VVD.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6150 on: December 13, 2019, 11:30:38 pm »
8)

https://streamable.com/ad1a5
Meh... He's hoofing the ball and got lucky that there was someone at the end of that. Almost every time...

;D
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6151 on: December 14, 2019, 06:12:09 am »
With regards to Ramos, he isn't even worthy of any consideration in any kind of ranking of great defenders given what he regularly resorts to in order to try to stop players who are many times the player he is.

with that i can totally agree, ramos isn't fit to tie their boots and that's regardless of his shithouse ways (by the way, the dark arts of shithouse tactics was perfected in italy lol where most of those great defenders come from, so i wouldnt use that as a measuring rod)

ramos on his day is a good defender to sometimes a very good defender who could have a great game but never has he been a great in the scope of things

and i wouldnt have any of the other names in that list after the italians, tho rio was special and an argument could be made for him

and if we're talking great italian defenders, it would be remiss not to mention Cannavaro (tho i dont think he was as good as those already mentioned - only defender to win the Ballon d'Or as far as i recall), he should be on that list

there are other greats of course from other nations (Franz Beckenbauer anyone? talk about a rolls royce of a player and then some, tho possibly more remembered for his sweeper roll tho he was very much a cb converted to it) but Cannovaro completes italy's best of all time cbs imo
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 06:29:33 am by Armand9 »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6152 on: December 14, 2019, 02:23:41 pm »
 There was some weird lack of communication with him and Alisson today.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6153 on: December 14, 2019, 02:24:53 pm »
That backpass...phew

Offline Zoomers

• Legacy Fan
  • Meow
« Reply #6154 on: December 14, 2019, 03:27:17 pm »
Shut the fuck up and put some respek on Lucas name playboy

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #6156 on: December 18, 2019, 05:07:50 pm »
He's not even on the bench tonight? Is he dead or something??  :o

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6157 on: December 18, 2019, 05:14:13 pm »

Yes.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #6158 on: December 18, 2019, 05:19:18 pm »

The rumors of his death are greatly exaggerated
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #6159 on: December 18, 2019, 05:23:29 pm »

Told Klopp that he wants to play at "The Fortress TM" and join Everton.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.