Poll

Vote for the best team (best representation of the manager in terms of philosophy, style & tactics)

Sheer Magnetism (Cesar Luis Menotti)
7 (50%)
Samie (Tele Santana)
3 (21.4%)
Betty Blue (Jock Stein)
4 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 9, 2022, 04:13:55 pm

Author Topic: Diamond Anniversary Draft - GROUP C  (Read 1155 times)

Offline NICHOLLS

• Legacy Fan
  • Ohhhhh ya beauty, what a hit son, what a hit!
Diamond Anniversary Draft - GROUP C
« on: December 7, 2022, 04:12:55 pm »
Please rank the teams in order of who you think are the best.

Remember, we are voting which teams are the best in terms of being the best constructed team in line with the chosen manager's philosophy, player styles and tactics. NOT 'the team with the greatest 11 players'. Well-chosen players and tactics that execute the manager's philosophy the best should be valued more than a team full of big names that don't.

For example:

1st: Manager A
2nd: Manager B
3rd: Manager C
Group C

Sheer Magnetism (Cesar Luis Menotti)

Manager profile, player styles and team tactics
"My concern is that we coaches don't arrogate to ourselves the right to remove from the spectacle the synonym of festival, in favour of a philosophical reading that cannot be sustained, which is to avoid taking risks. And in football there are risks because the only way you can avoid taking risks in any game is by not playing."

"There's a right-wing football and a left-wing football. Right-wing football wants to suggest that life is struggle. It demands sacrifices. We have to become of steel and win by any method... obey and function, that's what those with power want from the players. That's how they create retards, useful idiots that go with the system."

Unfortunate phrasing but it's what César Luis Menotti believed, he was one of football's true aesthetes. He prioritised skill and entertainment but his teams weren't all-out attack. They were filled with tactically intelligent players who knew where to be and when, influenced not only by Total Football but the 1970 Brazil team. But how did he line his teams up?

The key Menotti teams were the unfancied Huracan team he took to the club's second ever league title, the Argentine team he took to a World Cup and the Barca team he won three trophies with in four months. That team often used a more contemporary 4-4-2 but typically, Menotti's teams lined up in a lopsided 4-1-2-3 with a sweeper and a stopper in defence, a destroyer, a playmaker and a goalscorer in midfield and an attack made up of a conventional winger, a creative wide forward and a skillful number 9 who could also hold the ball up when necessary. You have players who can push up but who are smart enough to know when to drop off and fit enough to do it.

These are the two main templates: Huracan 1973 and Argentina 1978:

So, here's how they compare player by player. I'd say all the positions are stylistically similar profiles with big upgrades in many:

GK (Ibaldo Fillol >>> Joseph-Antoine Bell) Template: acrobatic, quick keeper a touch under six foot who comes off his line a lot. I posted the videos further up but Bell is the closest keeper in world football to Fillol, a keeper who's massively underrated because he's African, he didn't come to Europe until he was in his 30's and he came up alongside Thomas N'Kono, a very good conventional choice for Cameroon (think Clemence vs Shilton).

LB (Alberto Tarantini/Julio Alberto >>> David Alaba) Template: an attacking left back with the tactical nous to play centre back. Alaba doesn't quite have the same maverick streak as these two but he started off as a winger, is currently at centre back and has played mostly in midfield for the national team.

SW (Daniel Passarella/Jose Ramon Alexanko >>> Fernando Hierro) Template: A physically strong sweeper and onfield leader who scores goals. Hierro won everything with Real, had a great passing range and had a one-in-three record for Spain. They weren't all penalties either.

CB (Alfio Basile/Migueli (AKA Tarzan)>>> Big Virj) Template: The more conventional defender who acts as cover. Van Dijk is hugely athletic, never gets dribbled past and is basically the ideal choice to play alongside a sweeper who goes up. Have you seen him next to Matip?

RB (Jorge Olguín/Tente Sanchez >>> Berti Vogts) Template: A more defensive counterpoint converted from a central player (CB and MF respectively in this case). Vogts was primarily a right back but also a defensive one who played in the centre of defence for Borussia Mönchengladbach in some big games.

DM (Américo 'The Octopus' Gallego/Víctor Muñoz >>> N'Golo Kanté) Template: A diminutive, strong, tireless destroyer with telescopic legs who can break up attacks before they get to the defence. Kanté is the literal epitome of this player and probably the best ever example.

MF (Osvaldo Ardiles/Bernd Schuster >>> Luka Modric) Template: Elegant midfield playmaker capable of running the game and setting up goals for the players higher up the pitch. Modric won a Ballon d'Or in this exact position.

AM (Mario Kempes/Carlos Babington >>> Jari Litmanen) Template: A creative, gritty player who can dribble the ball and make runs from midfield to score. His injury record in his later years makes people forget that Litmanen was actually quite a physical player - a six-footer like Kempes - and although he had a superb scoring record, he tended to play behind the front three for Ajax. Perfect fit.

LW ('El Rapido' Oscar Ortiz/Omar Larrosa >>> Ryan Giggs) Template: A speedy winger who can carry the ball up the field quickly, beat a player and slide a cross in. Giggs at his peak was exactly this kind of player, he wouldn't have been able to score that goal against Arsenal if he wasn't. He's also still top of the all-time PL assist table, about 50% ahead of nearest competitor Cesc Fabregas.

CF (Leopoldo Luque/Roque Avallay >>> Pelé) Template: A skillful centre forward who can hold the ball up and drop off in addition to scoring goals. Menotti actually rated Pelé as the greatest ever, and the role Luque played in the Argentine team was very similar. Avallay played somewhat of a Firmino role in the Huracan team, allowing teammates to play around him like Pelé did in the 1970 side. I picked the more intelligent late career version rather than the goalscoring phenomenon - this centre forward also has to be a playmaker.

RW (Daniel Bertoni/René Houseman/Diego Maradona >>> Leo Messi) Template: The attacking centrepoint of the side, a creative dribbler in a free role who's job is to destroy the other team's defence and score goals. Look, Messi is the best ever in this role - even Maradona couldn't fill it in the same way - and he has the tactical intelligence to thrive there in front of Modric.
[close]

Samie (Tele Santana)

Betty Blue (Jock Stein)

Jock Stein's Lisbon Lions -
“I think it is important to win a match, but I think what is even more important is the manner in which you win.”

“I am now going to tell him (Herrera) how Celtic will be the first team to bring the European Cup back to Britain. But it will not help him in any manner, shape or form: we are going to attack as we have never attacked before. Cups are not won by individuals, but by men in a team who put their club before personal prestige. I am lucky – I have the players who do just that for Celtic.”

“If you’re ever going to win the European Cup, then this is the day and this is the place. But we don’t just want to win this cup, we want to do it playing good football – to make neutrals glad we’ve won it, glad to remember how we did it.” (his pre-match talk to the players before the 1967 final)

“There is not a prouder man on God’s Earth than me at this moment. Winning was important, aye, but it was the way that we have won that has filled me with satisfaction. We did it by playing football. Pure, beautiful, inventive football. There was not a negative thought in our heads. Inter played right into our hands; it’s so sad to see such gifted players shackled by a system that restricts their freedom to think and to act. Our fans would never accept that sort of sterile approach. Our objective is always to try to win with style.”

The Original

Iker Casillas SPA (08-12) >>>> Ronnie Simpson
- According to Billy McNeill, "Ronnie was as much a footballer as he was a goalkeeper." Well known for his aerial ability, shot stopping, and comfort with the ball at his feet. All of which Iker was tops at. At 5ft 10 Ronnie was fairly short for the era as well as possessing a slender build, not dissimilar to Iker who at 6ft wasn't the tallest for a modern day keeper and had a similarly slight build.

Eric Gerets BEL (85-89) >>>> Jim Craig
- Craig was a classic all rounder with his heart on his sleeve. Nothing to shout about, but Jock trusted him to get forward when needed and he knew how to defend too. Gerets, though obviously a higher calibre player, had similar attributes being a well balanced defender/attacker who fought every second he was on the field.

Fabio Cannavaro ITA (02-06) >>>> Billy McNeill
- The big captain McNeill was the heart of Jock's side. A hard as nails bastard who played as the team's stopper. Cannavaro has led his nation to World Cup glory, and has that nasty bastard Italian grit in him. A perfect fit.

Roberto Ayala ARG (00-04) >>>> John Clark
- Clark was the team's sweeper. Unlike the sweepers of the 70/80s, the role in those days was less about entering the opponent's half and more about complimenting the role of the stopper and literally sweeping up anything that got through McNeill. While offering some good forward passing as a bonus. Ayala would relish this role.

Roberto Carlos BRA (98-02) >>>> Tommy Gemmell
- Gemmell was one of Jock's great secret weapons. In the 1967 European Cup final his attacking runs put the Italians into disarray. Scoring the breakthrough goal that put them on level terms on the night in question. Roberto Carlos spent over a decade doing just that at every level of football.

Johan Neeskens HOL (70-74) >>>> Bobby Murdoch
- Murdoch was a box-to-box midfielder who could do everything. Passing, tackling, scoring. He was both the engine and the midfield conductor for that Celtic side. Neeskens was everything and more of that for the Dutch.

Paul Breitner GER (78-82) >>>> Bertie Auld
- Auld was a converted left sided winger, who Jock moulded into a lethal weapon in the heart of midfield. Known for powering in shots from anywhere outside the box, bossing the centre of the pitch with his physical presence, while still enjoying forays up the left side of the field when the mood took him. As an attacking left back who later moved to a midfield general role with a net-bursting shot, Breitner is a dream replacement here.

George Best NIR (67-71) >>>> Jimmy Johnstone
- By all accounts, Johnstone was one of the most electric players of the period. A dribbling master, utterly unpredictable and capable of moments of magic that could turn a game upside down. Sound like anyone to you? Best and him could have been two peas in a pod.

John Barnes ENG (87-91) >>>> Bobbie Lennox
- Lennox was often overlooked because of how eye catching Johnstone was on the other flank, but the likes of Di Stefano and B. Charlton held him in the highest regard. He was more of your classic winger, who dribbled at great speed down the left flank and created havoc against any team he faced. I'm sure Jock would gladly take Barnes in this role.

Denis Law SCO (63-67) >>>> Willie Wallace
- Wallace was the more versatile of the front two. Both a creator and a chance taker himself. He was well known for blasting shots in from 25-30 yards out with both feet, dominating in the air and carving out chances for those around him. Law had all this and more to his game. Got to admit I'd never watched footage of him play until this draft and my jaw dropped. For a manc, he was pretty darn good.

John Aldridge IRE (87-91) >>>> Stevie Chalmers
- Chalmers was the archetypal goal poacher. Always knew where to be and when, and rarely wasted a chance. Many of his goals also came from headers with the incredible service supplied by Lennox and Johnstone. Aldridge was a dynamo both on the ground and in the air, and would surely be in his element with not only his buddy Barnes but Best supplying the ammunition.

So that's it. I tried not only to pick players who fit with their Lisbon Lion counterparts and could compliment one another on the pitch. But also ones who fit with Jock's footballing philosophy. The kind of players who would relish the freedom that he gave his players to attack attack attack. Those who had heart and fight in them, who were winners themselves and would die for the shirt if called upon just as his players did in 1967.
[close]

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Diamond Anniversary Draft - GROUP C
« Reply #1 on: December 7, 2022, 04:21:24 pm »
As you all know i don;t have the eloquence to put my thought's into words and write an essay.   I believe I've improved on Santana's team especially in Defence and Goalkeeper positions.

Thank you and #VoteSamie

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #2 on: December 7, 2022, 04:22:35 pm »
Went for Betty just over Samie, as the players I know of in Bettys team look more suitable than the ones I know of in Samies.

Sheers might be great.....just no idea who most of the players or the manager is.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 7, 2022, 04:27:31 pm »
Junior was a Right Footed Left Back

Leandro was a very attacking Right Back that used to take free kicks and corners for Brazil.

Pirlo does deep lying playmaker role ala Falcao and Busquets would mop up everything that comes at him.

Ronaldinho/Zico = Socrates/M.Laudrup 

My forward line is better than Tele's version. Eder was a Left footed forward ala Suker and Hugo Sanchez is a goal machine.

Oblak might not be a great palyer with his feet but he is an excellent shot stopper and back in those days Brazil really didn't give a damn about their keepers.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: December 7, 2022, 05:26:48 pm »
I can understand people not being familiar with Menotti, I probably know him best from reading Jonathan Wilson books.

As far as the others go, I'd have Betty over Samie. Serginho held the ball up more as a forward than Sanchez, Laudrup wasn't the goalscorer Zico was and Eder was more of a wide forward in practice. Great looking team though.

Only real nitpick in Betty's team is Roberto Carlos, who I don't think could really fit into a British team from that period (just ask the Owl). Looks quite good otherwise.

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #5 on: December 7, 2022, 06:24:23 pm »
I can understand people not being familiar with Menotti, I probably know him best from reading Jonathan Wilson books.

As far as the others go, I'd have Betty over Samie. Serginho held the ball up more as a forward than Sanchez, Laudrup wasn't the goalscorer Zico was and Eder was more of a wide forward in practice. Great looking team though.

Only real nitpick in Betty's team is Roberto Carlos, who I don't think could really fit into a British team from that period (just ask the Owl). Looks quite good otherwise.

Jock was nothing like the British managers of that era though. His teams not only set out to attack first, but also to do it in style. He was the antithesis of the Owl. Tommy Gemmell - the guy Roberto Carlos is replacing - was a trailblazer as an all out attacking fullback when most fullbacks of the period were defence first. He scored in both of Celtic's European Cup finals, finished sixth in the Ballon d'Or in 1967, and his scoring record of 63 goals in 400 odd appearances is pretty impressive (Carlos had 69 in 500+ for Real). I would definitely say Roberto Carlos is a more refined player technically than Gemmell, but from everything I've read and seen his attacking instincts would perfectly suit how Jock set his teams out.

Need to spend some more time looking at Menotti before I can make a call on your side. To be fair to Samie, I think Ronaldinho was meant to be his Zico and Laudrup his Socrates. Think Ronaldinho-Zico is a pretty good match, both with insane level of technical skill and high goalscorers over their career. Less sure on the other two though, Socrates was a more rounded player than Laudrup and obviously far more physically imposing. Again, need to read up a bit more on the rest of Samie's team before making a judgement. 
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 7, 2022, 06:56:59 pm »
I refer you to my second post Betts.  ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 7, 2022, 08:33:28 pm »
Betty. no idea who the other managers are. And great seeing aldo in a team, and digger and georgie on the flanks is the icing

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 7, 2022, 08:37:42 pm »
You disappoint me potato head. Santana was the coach of Brazil from 80-86. I.e he was in charge of the early 80's Brazil side.  :D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 7, 2022, 08:45:02 pm »
You disappoint me potato head. Santana was the coach of Brazil from 80-86. I.e he was in charge of the early 80's Brazil side.  :D
i clicked that wiki link mate. was also the manager of the great Al - Ahli 80s side

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #10 on: December 7, 2022, 09:06:00 pm »
i clicked that wiki link mate. was also the manager of the great Al - Ahli 80s side

:lmao

He also starred as Kojak from 1973-78 (second time I’ve used that ‘joke’).

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 7, 2022, 10:05:38 pm »
Shut up.  ;D

I could've easily chosen some established great coach and made it easy for my self.  :(

Online Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #12 on: December 7, 2022, 10:35:27 pm »
Betty. no idea who the other managers are. And great seeing aldo in a team, and digger and georgie on the flanks is the icing

Love me some Aldo. My old man always used to say he was sold too soon. I'll forever lament that Barnes-Beardsley-Aldridge front 3 never getting a shot in Europe.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #13 on: December 7, 2022, 10:40:10 pm »
Jocks philosophy was to play jocks born within earshot of the jungle. That was his only great team. His dream team. That's what made Glasgow Celtic. That's what made Jock Stein a God. You try and substitute that with players from further afield you lose that philosophy immediately. Any amount of prevarication and waffle about comparing players with those original giants of Glasgow men is futile. Doesn't wash with those familiar with the team and the circumstance. Jock, god bless him, was a one trick pony.

Samie is alright and is a distant second. Sheers Menotti team is damn near perfect. I remember that Argentine 78 team so well. Spot on in philosophy, key players and tactics
« Last Edit: December 7, 2022, 10:46:05 pm by once on vivabobbygraham stood a lowly cattle's head »
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 7, 2022, 10:42:59 pm »
Am i only second by default because you've had a tiff with Betty?  ??? :(

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2022, 10:50:30 pm »
BTW, Jari for Kempes is an inspired choice, Sheer

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2022, 10:57:04 pm »
Am i only second by default because you've had a tiff with Betty?  ??? :(

Probably. However, Jock's only great achievement was with that Celtic team, magnificent that it was, and was based on having local players who were greater than the sum of its parts. That's not personal that's fact and am more than willing to debate that. I don't see anything in Betty's team that reflects that. It's only my opinion of course

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2022, 11:05:31 pm »
That is an insult to my Drafting skillz.

I wish to put it on the record that I'm VBG's 3rd choice here. Let it be known I 'm not even his second choice.

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2022, 11:07:02 pm »
Jocks philosophy was to play jocks born within earshot of the jungle. That was his great team. His dream team. That's what made Glasgow Celtic. That's what made Jock Stein a God. You try and substitute that with players from further afield you lose that philosophy immediately. Any amount of prevarication and waffle about comparing players with those original giants of Glasgow men is futile. Doesn't wash with those familiar with the team and the circumstance. Jock, god bless him, was a one trick pony.

Samie is alright and is a distant second. Sheers Menotti team is damn near perfect. I remember that Argentine 78 team so well. Spot on in philosophy, key players and tactics

Jock was undoubtedly a one trick pony, but one that still changed the face of football in Britain with his attacking philosophy. That's what his teams were about. He talked a lot about winning with style and attack coming before defence. Long before Celtic, his Dunfermline side was infamous for beating Valencia 6-2 in the European Cup. Obviously the grit of those Celtic lads didn't half help, which is why I weighed hard over picking players who would embody that spirit too. And given the 11 from 11 restrictions, this is just my interpretation of the best players I could find to fit that mold and play out the attacking philosophies of his great 67 side. But fair do's if it's not for you.

I can't agree that his team wouldn't work without Celtic's own in there, but you're entitled to hold that opinion and I won't try to sway you from it. I don't think my side's perfect in any case. There are definitely a few better choices I could've made in hindsight. But I'm happy with the one I've built. Either way, I've loved learning more about Jock's side. My old man used to talk a lot about him, Shanks, and Busby. Wish I could share those conversations with him again.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2022, 11:11:27 pm »

I wish to put it on the record that I'm VBG's 3rd choice here. Let it be known I 'm not even his second choice.

You’re everyone’s third choice Samie.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 7, 2022, 11:29:21 pm »
But I am a choice, that's what matters.  :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 7, 2022, 11:34:37 pm »

Jock was undoubtedly a one trick pony, but one that still changed the face of football in Britain with his attacking philosophy. That's what his teams were about. He talked a lot about winning with style and attack coming before defence. Long before Celtic, his Dunfermline side was infamous for beating Valencia 6-2 in the European Cup. Obviously the grit of those Celtic lads didn't half help, which is why I weighed hard over picking players who would embody that spirit too. And given the 11 from 11 restrictions, this is just my interpretation of the best players I could find to fit that mold and play out the attacking philosophies of his great 67 side. But fair do's if it's not for you.

I can't agree that his team wouldn't work without Celtic's own in there, but you're entitled to hold that opinion and I won't try to sway you from it. I don't think my side's perfect in any case. There are definitely a few better choices I could've made in hindsight. But I'm happy with the one I've built. Either way, I've loved learning more about Jock's side. My old man used to talk a lot about him, Shanks, and Busby. Wish I could share those conversations with him again.

I recognised the brilliance of that side and Jock's achievement in putting it together. It's the philosophy element that I have an issue with. You cannot replicate a Jock Stein team, in my opinion, without putting together a team that recognises its locality. For example, Rimmer, Lawler, Smith, Thompson, Carragher, Gerrard, Case, McDermott, Callaghan, Aldo, Davey Johnson (RIP,) as an example, might not inspire the purists but put them together on the pitch and who knows what might have happened? I'd have loved that it would have encapsulated Jock's philosophy in spades. I'd have voted for that dead easy. It's a bit hypocritical and crass for you to object to those who had the philosophy of their manager in mind when drafting but you didn't include it in your own. Just my opinion.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 7, 2022, 11:38:30 pm »
Erm VBG one per country was the rule.  :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 7, 2022, 11:48:08 pm »
Erm VBG one per country was the rule.  :D

Then don't pick Jock Stein as manager  ???

Online Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #24 on: December 7, 2022, 11:53:05 pm »

I recognised the brilliance of that side and Jock's achievement in putting it together. It's the philosophy element that I have an issue with. You cannot replicate a Jock Stein team, in my opinion, without putting together a team that recognises its locality. For example, Rimmer, Lawler, Smith, Thompson, Carragher, Gerrard, Case, McDermott, Callaghan, Aldo, Davey Johnson (RIP,) as an example, might not inspire the purists but put them together on the pitch and who knows what might have happened? I'd have loved that it would have encapsulated Jock's philosophy in spades. I'd have voted for that dead easy. It's a bit hypocritical and crass for you to object to those who had the philosophy of their manager in mind when drafting but you didn't include it in your own. Just my opinion.

Not 11 from 11 though, mate. Without those restrictions I'd definitely have gone more in that direction, but it wasn't possible. Within the rules of the draft, I tried to put together the best selection of players I could. Players like Cannavaro, Gerets, Ayala, Breitner all captains and leaders in their sides. All winning big honours at multiple levels. But I get it. You don't think it would work. Totally fair to have that opinion.

I've not objected to any team's philosophies as far as I can tell though. I just expressed why I thought Lobo's team wasn't doing well in the vote. I pulled up examples of players not in the position Cruyff played them in and suggested that I might have focused on the 93-94 attack that most people salivate over when talking football. I've got no problem with the philosophy of the side Lobo created. I just didn't think the player selections quite fitted. If you think my opinion is wrong then by all means counter it, but there's nothing hypocritical in my offering an opinion on why Lobo's team hasn't amassed many votes.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25 on: December 8, 2022, 12:29:28 am »
Cheers Bobby, thanks for the compliments! Like I said though, I don't think there's really a bad team in this group. I thought about going with Rafa's 4-2-3-1 but I wanted to do something different, no regrets whatever happens.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 8, 2022, 12:36:59 am »

You wouldn't know an insult if it kicked you in the orchestra stalls, Samie you knobhead x

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 8, 2022, 12:47:48 am »
Tame insults old man, a few years back on late night draft talks you'd be going in two footed.  :D

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 8, 2022, 01:09:23 am »
Tame insults old man, a few years back on late night draft talks you'd be going in two footed.  :D

I remember when you'd fuck off in a huff and we'd have to beg you not to come back you quilt

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 8, 2022, 11:34:42 am »
 ;D

BUMP

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 8, 2022, 03:13:56 pm »
You bastards don't appreciate me or Tele.  :(

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #31 on: December 8, 2022, 03:37:15 pm »
You were doing alright until you started bumping the thread, should have let it sink until the RAWK Brazilians log on
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 8, 2022, 04:55:06 pm »
You bastards don't appreciate me or Tele.  :(

Exactly, who loves ya baby?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #33 on: December 8, 2022, 06:36:18 pm »