Author Topic: Pitch and Putt / Par 3 Golf Courses (9 hole)  (Read 1601 times)

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Pitch and Putt / Par 3 Golf Courses (9 hole)
« on: August 23, 2022, 02:27:09 pm »
Up to the City for the bank holiday weekend on cricket tour (not playing cricket as not enough players going so more of a social thing)!

It's the fourth time we've been and we are looking for golf courses that allow us to hire clubs, there was one at Aintree that we played at before but it was a bit long and was wondering if anybody could recommend a smaller course or ideally a pitch and putt!!

We did play at Allerton a few years ago but the last time we came, pre-pandemic, they no longer hired clubs.  Anywhere within a reasonable taxi ride of the city would be good, we are staying in the Center of town

TIA
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Oh Campione

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pitch and Putt / Par 3 Golf Courses (9 hole)
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 02:40:33 pm »
Up to the City for the bank holiday weekend on cricket tour (not playing cricket as not enough players going so more of a social thing)!

It's the fourth time we've been and we are looking for golf courses that allow us to hire clubs, there was one at Aintree that we played at before but it was a bit long and was wondering if anybody could recommend a smaller course or ideally a pitch and putt!!

We did play at Allerton a few years ago but the last time we came, pre-pandemic, they no longer hired clubs.  Anywhere within a reasonable taxi ride of the city would be good, we are staying in the Center of town

TIA

The par 3 course at Formby Hall is lovely (£20 mind so not cheap for 9 holes) - lots of water so be prepared to lose some balls!

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 03:23:11 pm »
Moreton Hills and Arrow Park on the Wirral both have par-3 courses (MH has 6 holes with 2 tees on each hole so you can play 6 or 12). You'd have to contact the clubs to see if they do clud hire, though.

Going the other way, there's a par-3 at Rainford near St Helens
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 03:50:40 pm »
Thanks both, looking at Moreton Hills and Arrow Park as Formby is probably a bit far out for us

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 04:03:19 pm »
Not sure if it's still open, but try Wallasey Beach Pitch & Putt, next to the Wallasey Golf Club, nearest station is Wallasey Grove Road [about a 10 minute walk], can be pretty challenging to.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 04:06:58 pm »
Moreton Hills and Arrow Park on the Wirral both have par-3 courses (MH has 6 holes with 2 tees on each hole so you can play 6 or 12). You'd have to contact the clubs to see if they do clud hire, though.

Moreton Hills is pretty good now, it's a driving range, mini golf course, they have a crazy golf section too, Moreton Hills sell ale too, mostly bottles though, 3 bottles for £10 last time i was there last November.
#Sausages

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2022, 04:35:09 pm »
Moreton Hills is pretty good now, it's a driving range, mini golf course, they have a crazy golf section too, Moreton Hills sell ale too, mostly bottles though, 3 bottles for £10 last time i was there last November.
Moreton Hills it is then!!

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2022, 04:36:01 pm »
Not sure if it's still open, but try Wallasey Beach Pitch & Putt, next to the Wallasey Golf Club, nearest station is Wallasey Grove Road [about a 10 minute walk], can be pretty challenging to.
Was looking at this online earlier and apparently it was closed by the council in February due to budget cuts

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 04:37:53 pm »
Was looking at this online earlier and apparently it was closed by the council in February due to budget cuts

That's a shame, that pitch & putt could be pretty busy this time of year too, although i've not played on there since the mid 90s.
#Sausages

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2022, 04:44:56 pm »
Moreton Hills it is then!!

Moreton Hills is the best bet, with Arrowe Park you'd have to get the 471/472 bus from Liverpool as the nearest station is miles away, Moreton Hills is a 5 minute walk from Moreton Station, trains are 15 minutes, 30 minutes after 6.30pm & Sundays.

If you go to Moreton Hills take a walk down to Moreton Shore, as theirs a cafe there called the Green Hut, does the best fish & chips in the area, not sure opening hours but be no problem if you go there lunchtime or mid afternoon.
#Sausages

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2022, 04:50:49 pm »
Moreton Hills is the best bet, with Arrowe Park you'd have to get the 471/472 bus from Liverpool as the nearest station is miles away, Moreton Hills is a 5 minute walk from Moreton Station, trains are 15 minutes, 30 minutes after 6.30pm & Sundays.

If you go to Moreton Hills take a walk down to Moreton Shore, as theirs a cafe there called the Green Hut, does the best fish & chips in the area, not sure opening hours but be no problem if you go there lunchtime or mid afternoon.
sounds perfect, looking to play about 10:30 so should be done in time for lunch

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2022, 07:59:45 pm »

Went past it in April and it just looked abandoned. Must've played the course nearly every time we went to New Brighton on family days out.  Hit a hole in One on the 18th once.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2022, 08:07:26 pm »
Went past it in April and it just looked abandoned. Must've played the course nearly every time we went to New Brighton on family days out.  Hit a hole in One on the 18th once.

Such a shame, because of all the slopes it was quite a tough pitch & putt too.

I remember playing there one day, around Autumn time, the greens were cordoned off as they were repairing them so temp holes instead, the hole location was on a ridiculous slope that you'd could never get the ball close to the pin, without the ball rolling back down, & i ended up getting a par 3 on that hole, my mates ended up with 10+ ;D

Haven't played it for years though, my mates now prefer the full size courses.
#Sausages

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 09:04:43 pm »
Don't plan Allerton, they've closed the 9 hole.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2022, 10:54:49 pm »

The Rainford one is decent, as is the one at Haigh Hall on the other side of Wigan.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2022, 11:01:35 pm »
The Rainford one is decent, as is the one at Haigh Hall on the other side of Wigan.

Rainford is a bit tricky to get to from Liverpool though, have to change trains at Kirkby, & the connecting trains aren't that frequent either, as is Haigh Hall
#Sausages