Author Topic: Do you support the strikes?  (Read 73343 times)

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Do you support the rail strikes?
« Reply #840 on: October 6, 2022, 12:10:02 pm »
Wonder who was manning the waste dump? if it was the management then they need pulling up. sounds like they are deliberately trying to piss people off in the hope of them turning on the strikers.

It's standard practice for the areas I know.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 12:11:42 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #841 on: October 6, 2022, 12:10:44 pm »
We've always had to show proof of address at our recycling place.  I thought it was normal practice everywhere.

Indeed.  :thumbup

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #842 on: October 6, 2022, 12:26:56 pm »
That's standard practice - nothing to moan about really.  It stops people from other areas using local facilities, plus it cracks down on unlawful trade waste dumping.

Why should that really be an issue, though?

When every local authority has tips, people aren't going to travel out of their way to dump their rubbish in another town's tips. You might get the odd person (maybe they live just inside one council area) who can see the nearest tip is actually just over the border in the neighbouring council area and use that instead.

But again, so fucking what?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #843 on: October 6, 2022, 01:35:16 pm »

Why should that really be an issue, though?

When every local authority has tips, people aren't going to travel out of their way to dump their rubbish in another town's tips. You might get the odd person (maybe they live just inside one council area) who can see the nearest tip is actually just over the border in the neighbouring council area and use that instead.

But again, so fucking what?

Cause it's not where you live and where you pay your council tax.

Plenty of things to have a moan about, this isn't one of them.
« Last Edit: October 6, 2022, 01:39:51 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #844 on: October 6, 2022, 02:04:39 pm »
I'm with Nobby. Was wondering myself why we have signs at all our places saying id might be checked. Though I've never been stopped. It's costly to dispose of waste so I can see why councils don't want to pay the bill for other councils but that's only an issue if you have a tip near the border.  The cost of paying people to police it might be more than small amount of waste that leaks in from neighbouring councils.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #845 on: October 6, 2022, 02:30:41 pm »
I suspect that Debs looks like a wrong 'un.

Oh I absolutely do and I don't care who knows or thinks it 😎

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #846 on: October 6, 2022, 02:56:51 pm »
I'm with Nobby. Was wondering myself why we have signs at all our places saying id might be checked. Though I've never been stopped. It's costly to dispose of waste so I can see why councils don't want to pay the bill for other councils but that's only an issue if you have a tip near the border.  The cost of paying people to police it might be more than small amount of waste that leaks in from neighbouring councils.

Exactly. Not like you're going to get a secret plot by residents of one town to flood the neighbouring/rival town's tips with rubbish like it's a Springfield/Shelbyville squabble. The potential amounts involved must be neglibible.

I mean, Debs lives on Angelsey. Who's going to drive to Angelsey with a boot full of rubbish just to use their tips?

Generally hate criticism of bureaucracy as it's usually misplaced, but employing people to check that tip users are from the same local authority area smacks of a total waste of money and time.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #847 on: October 6, 2022, 03:15:00 pm »

Exactly. Not like you're going to get a secret plot by residents of one town to flood the neighbouring/rival town's tips with rubbish like it's a Springfield/Shelbyville squabble. The potential amounts involved must be neglibible.

I mean, Debs lives on Angelsey. Who's going to drive to Angelsey with a boot full of rubbish just to use their tips?

Generally hate criticism of bureaucracy as it's usually misplaced, but employing people to check that tip users are from the same local authority area smacks of a total waste of money and time.

Our tip is beautiful and unbelievably clean and tidy. 

We no longer have a general waste skip there now as anything in bags or bin liners has to go into a big shed and the contents of said bags emptied onto a table so they can check it first and anything that's recyclable has to go in the correct skip.

It's great.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #848 on: October 6, 2022, 03:22:21 pm »
Wow. I'm going to anglsea next time I need to get rid!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #849 on: October 6, 2022, 04:03:44 pm »
Never been asked for ID at any recycling centres / tips around Liverpool ever, didn't know that was a thing, been going weekly lately and never had anyone ask anything.

Only time I have been asked was when you take a van / hire van basically anything that looks commercial, then I've had to book a slot and give details the day before. But even then one time the guy let me ring some number and after 5 minutes they let me in.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #850 on: October 6, 2022, 04:06:00 pm »
Wow. I'm going to anglsea next time I need to get rid!

Just get Debs' postcode first to blag your way in.

(I couldn't do with that checking contents of bags - I'll split the rubbish I'm taking into broad categories, but some bin-bags I've taken have all sorts of stuff in; whilst some is probably recyclable, it'll often be covered in all matter of gunk and I really don't want to be rummaging in it. I also, when going the tip anyway, usually grab a couple of bin-bags full of crap from our main bin, as the bins only get emptied fortnightly and 90% of the time the bin's overflowing come bin day)

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #851 on: October 6, 2022, 04:06:47 pm »
Oh I absolutely do and I don't care who knows or thinks it 😎
;D
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #852 on: October 6, 2022, 04:14:28 pm »
NEUnion intend to vote on a strike ballot if teachers don't receive a pay rise. Get ready for homeworking your children people

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #853 on: October 6, 2022, 05:03:35 pm »
NEUnion intend to vote on a strike ballot if teachers don't receive a pay rise. Get ready for homeworking your children people
It's disgusting. Teachers pay rises have to be paid for out of school budgets. so the kids have to pay the cost of the Teachers pay rise. one minute Tory  voters are saying we can't leave our g/kids to pay off the debt, if they are supporting this policy then they will be saying exactly this. your g/kids have to pay the cost of our Nat debt.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #854 on: October 6, 2022, 07:15:42 pm »
Looks like the Caledonian Sleeper service is going to be nationalised due to a funding row between the Scottish Government and Serco.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #855 on: October 8, 2022, 06:11:44 pm »
Looks like the Caledonian Sleeper service is going to be nationalised due to a funding row between the Scottish Government and Serco.
That's been outrageously expensive since the pandemic. Used to be able to get a seat to abz for £50.
Now sadly it's cheaper to fly.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #856 on: October 8, 2022, 06:12:13 pm »
It's disgusting. Teachers pay rises have to be paid for out of school budgets. so the kids have to pay the cost of the Teachers pay rise. one minute Tory  voters are saying we can't leave our g/kids to pay off the debt, if they are supporting this policy then they will be saying exactly this. your g/kids have to pay the cost of our Nat debt.
I you suggesting we dont pay teachers more? 😁

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #857 on: October 8, 2022, 08:00:43 pm »
I you suggesting we dont pay teachers more? 😁

Naah, I would support them on the picket lines as well, be a doddle.
9.00am till 12.30 then off for lunch and back at 1.30 till 3.15pm then off home. :)
Seriously though, I pick up my g/kids from school somedays. I asked my g/son where's the lolly pop lady, he told me she's left. may not have nothing to do with school funding but I will have to ask someone if it was down to cutbacks in budget, she's been doing that job for years.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #858 on: October 8, 2022, 08:37:26 pm »
That's been outrageously expensive since the pandemic. Used to be able to get a seat to abz for £50.
Now sadly it's cheaper to fly.

Yeah I've never done it for that reason but I know people that like it as means you can get a nice sleep and arrive in the centre of London in time for work day without having to get up at 4am for the red eye flights.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #859 on: October 8, 2022, 09:58:28 pm »

Yeah I've never done it for that reason but I know people that like it as means you can get a nice sleep and arrive in the centre of London in time for work day without having to get up at 4am for the red eye flights.
A bed for a nice sleep is pricier than most flights. Even pre pandemic. I can sleep happily in a chair though.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2022, 07:27:15 pm »
Mick lynch destroys the select committee :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asp-dO3OwmE

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #861 on: October 14, 2022, 01:14:20 pm »
Mick lynch destroys the select committee :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Asp-dO3OwmE
Thanks John.  That was a thoroughly enjoyable listen.

MPs should have learnt by now that they really need to have done their homework and done it well before trying to take the fight to Lynch.  It feels like they have mapped out a debate where they ask a question then follow up with the "gotcha" moment - DLR was a good example in that committee - but just flail when Lynch punches great holes in their arguments.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #862 on: October 18, 2022, 11:34:00 am »
It might be prudent for the government to make generous offer now and get a settlement before things get a whole lot worse.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #863 on: November 4, 2022, 03:56:27 pm »
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #864 on: November 4, 2022, 04:33:15 pm »
It might be prudent for the government to make generous offer now and get a settlement before things get a whole lot worse.

Strike action suspended due to promise of new pay offer

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/rail-strikes-called-after-promise-25438313#source=breaking-news

They must be reading this thread!

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #865 on: November 4, 2022, 04:48:19 pm »
This will throw Merseyrail into a bit of a tizzy.

They were planning to close Central on the Northern Line between November 6th and 9th for upgrades to handle the new trains. Those works were cancelled because of the strike action. It's probably too late in the day for those works to be reinstated, so they'll need to be rescheduled.

It's a good result (so far) for the RMT, but I bet Merseyrail bosses will be fuming.  :D

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #866 on: November 4, 2022, 04:50:52 pm »
They must be reading this thread!
:) I think it shows they are realising times have changed. everyone should have been turning on the militant strikers by now, they should of been screaming at Labour for being responsible for the strikes,  they are losing the propaganda war on Labour on the side of all the strikers.  the Torys see the public pointing the blame at management and the government so get this sorted.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #867 on: November 10, 2022, 06:15:12 pm »
NHS, civil servants, teachers, uni lecturers, who's next do we reckon?

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #868 on: November 10, 2022, 06:17:51 pm »
NHS, civil servants, teachers, uni lecturers, who's next do we reckon?

I think the rail and postal workers are already involved in strikes.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #869 on: November 10, 2022, 06:44:15 pm »
I think the rail and postal workers are already involved in strikes.

Yep they're still going ahead as planned and I'm sure someone on here said the fire service are voting too.

I'd like to say council workers but we don't really have any now with everything being contracted out.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #870 on: November 10, 2022, 06:50:27 pm »
Other unions , in factories for want of a better description seem to be striking too.
Be interesting to see what % of UK unionised labour is striking.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #871 on: November 10, 2022, 06:51:44 pm »
Offshore oil workers were threatening strikes as well. Think still negotiations going on.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #872 on: November 10, 2022, 07:06:40 pm »
Bloody hell. It'll be the bankers next.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #873 on: November 10, 2022, 07:27:02 pm »
Bloody hell. It'll be the bankers next.

Retail, hospitality and supermarkets would be my wish.

That would piss off enough of the general public to bring the government to it's knees 😜

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #874 on: November 10, 2022, 07:29:14 pm »

That would piss off enough of the general public to bring the government to it's knees 😜

I think enough of the general public ARE striking to make quite an impact.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #875 on: November 10, 2022, 07:31:26 pm »

Also TV production staff. End of days that.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #876 on: November 10, 2022, 07:47:58 pm »
Also TV production staff. End of days that.

Oh god yeah could you imagine no TV or even worse, no internet 😯😂

I think enough of the general public ARE striking to make quite an impact.

I guess so but none of them have affected us so far so they've not hit everyone.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #877 on: November 11, 2022, 09:48:56 am »
The Tory/RWM message of the already-overpaid tain drivers just being greedy bastards is hitting home, sadly.

I know comments sections are unrepresentative, but so many on the BBC HYS are making the same point, with loads agreeing with them.

When it's pointed out that the main dispute is about the Govt trying to impose cuts to their T&Cs and national agreements over staffing levels and redundancies, they either ignore or idiotically parrot the 'they need to modernise' bullshit.

'Modernise' is always just veneer for a 'fuck-over the workers' race to the bottom.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #878 on: November 11, 2022, 10:09:18 am »
The Tory/RWM message of the already-overpaid tain drivers just being greedy bastards is hitting home, sadly.

I know comments sections are unrepresentative, but so many on the BBC HYS are making the same point, with loads agreeing with them.

When it's pointed out that the main dispute is about the Govt trying to impose cuts to their T&Cs and national agreements over staffing levels and redundancies, they either ignore or idiotically parrot the 'they need to modernise' bullshit.

'Modernise' is always just veneer for a 'fuck-over the workers' race to the bottom.

I've had people say the same about nurses and teachers mate.

It's too easy for people to just look at the average or starting salary and say well if they can't live off that I've no sympathy.

They have no idea or no consideration for what their travelling, working hours, childcare costs, housing etc are they just remember how much their wages were 30yrs ago and say well we managed.

It's like its a bad thing for people to want better for themselves than they had.  All those battles fought a century or so ago to improve working conditions, education, health, housing and those who benefitted now want to turn the clocks back to you should be grateful you've got a roof over your head.

Does my head in mate.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #879 on: November 16, 2022, 12:24:28 pm »
Still in support of them, but was meant to be going to Bristol by train this weekend and there’s a strike on.

GWR says I’m entitled to a refund but I booked with Trainline who say I’m not (suspect that’s just because I’m booked an Advance ticket with a set time etc and is unrelated to the strike update). Anyone know the best route for getting a refund?