Author Topic: Rugby League  (Read 46339 times)

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles
Re: Rugby League
« Reply #120 on: September 25, 2021, 10:44:53 am »
Thanks mate, interesting break down.

Shows that the Wallabies probably punch above their weight as well given they do t have the same resources available.

Until spending considerable time nearly 5 years here now I never realised how much Rugby Union is a minority sport here
In fact Australia do punch above their weight which I never thought I’d say lol

Union is like League in England

Here in Northern Territory  it’s quite mixed AFL & NRL support. AFL maybe just shades it

Sport is generally dominated on TV by NRL & AFL with Cricket thrown in when a series is on

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #121 on: September 25, 2021, 10:51:06 am »

The British game is boring & predictable with defences too organised & set.

Watch games from the first decade of Super League and you see multiple line breaks and exciting, fast play because the RFL cracked down on players being allowed to slow the play-the-ball. As a result, defences were frequently not set in a regimented line and players could exploit that (Cunningham and Roby at Saints were brilliant for spotting a disorganised defence, then scooting into that space from dummy half, creating more disorganisation, so on the next tackle Saints would very often break a ragged defensive line and frequently score)

In 2008/2009, the authorities declared that more latitude would be given to defenders to clear the tackle. Some coaches began to take this to the extremes - Brown at Huddersfield, then Maguire at Wigan who introduced 'the wrestle' to extend the time the tackle seemed to be in progress and get the tackled player on their back to slow them getting to their feet even more - 'turtling' - followed by defenders timing their 'flop' onto a player being tackled to be just before the ref says 'held' then the 3/4 tackling players peel off one at a time. As that proved successful, more coaches followed and developed further techniques. The result is that with almost every play the ball, the defence is set. Then you have defending teams rotating the duty of rushing at the first receiver as soon as the ball is played, so they have no time to do anything but accept the tackle.

Abolishing the scrums and bringing in the 6-again (both temporary measures due to Covid) have made it worse. Then you have Warrington who, whenever an opposition player does make a break and Warrington's defence near their own line is in disarray, one of their players - usually that whingeing lump Chris Hill - will lie on the floor holding their head so the ref stops the game whilst the physio/doc runs on. By the time play restarts, the Warrington defenders are recovered, got some air in their lungs, and fully organised. Threat averted... by cheating.

The British game is going backwards.

Interesting

I grew up 80’s & 90’s enjoying Rugby League but recent years struggled to get into it
I don’t know enough about the tactics & nuances of the game but just found it became to monotonous you didn’t see so much the great tries by Offiah or Lydon etc

Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Sex bombs to the left of me would be playboy bunnies to the right and here I am stuck in the middle with my pasty white bird.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #122 on: September 25, 2021, 11:27:56 am »

Until spending considerable time nearly 5 years here now I never realised how much Rugby Union is a minority sport here
In fact Australia do punch above their weight which I never thought I’d say lol

Union is like League in England

Here in Northern Territory  it’s quite mixed AFL & NRL support. AFL maybe just shades it

Sport is generally dominated on TV by NRL & AFL with Cricket thrown in when a series is on

I was reading about Northern Territory yesterday, apparently it's easier to die there than most of the rest of Australia, roads, jellyfish and crocodiles just as examples. Sounds interesting, all I asked was why are there so few people in Darwen?  250k people in the whole of Northern territory it says.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline WEST HAM PAUL

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: September 25, 2021, 12:39:45 pm »
I was reading about Northern Territory yesterday, apparently it's easier to die there than most of the rest of Australia, roads, jellyfish and crocodiles just as examples. Sounds interesting, all I asked was why are there so few people in Darwen?  250k people in the whole of Northern territory it says.

Roads yes

Driving is horrendous at times here . Despite empty roads some seriously bad not needed decisions
Fatigue for long distances
Plus shit loads of drink driving
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 01:16:40 pm by WEST HAM PAUL »
Fortunes Always Hiding. 

And The Sun Shines Now

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #124 on: September 25, 2021, 01:19:56 pm »
Worst Wigan side in decades

Think the 2006 side takes that accolade  ;D

Only avoided relegation through cheating the salary cap. And that undid Agent Millward's sterling work.

The Wigan pack is woeful.

That they finished 4th is an indictment on the quality of Super League.

Hilarious about Warrington (their year next year...?) - and made up for Hull KR, one of the few sides who try to play flowing rugby

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: September 25, 2021, 02:43:24 pm »

Think the 2006 side takes that accolade  ;D

Only avoided relegation through cheating the salary cap. And that undid Agent Millward's sterling work.

The Wigan pack is woeful.

That they finished 4th is an indictment on the quality of Super League.

Hilarious about Warrington (their year next year...?) - and made up for Hull KR, one of the few sides who try to play flowing rugby

Agreed but then Man Utd finished second in the PL, what does that say? 

Please for HKR, should be a decent game against Catalans and Hull have nothing to lose being it is expected as their last game this season
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #126 on: September 26, 2021, 05:10:03 am »

Most of our population live on the Eastern Seaboard with 50% living in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne and you’ve also got a bunch of regional centres like Gold Coast, Canberra and Newcastle that also have considerable populations. I guess the original reason why Darwin and the NT wasn’t as densely populated was because British settlement took place on the East Coast hence the population growth. Not to mention, the climate on the Eastern Seaboard is generally a lot more tolerable unless living in a heavily humid place is your go.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #127 on: September 26, 2021, 08:47:27 am »
Storm v Panthers (1st v 2nd) from earlier this morning (last night to them)

https://www.nrl.com/tv/news/match-highlights-storm-v-panthers-1270922/

This is why people wanted it to be the final

Brilliant game. Amazing rugby league from star to finish. The antithesis of the Wigan v Leeds game!
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #128 on: September 26, 2021, 02:43:25 pm »
Most of our population live on the Eastern Seaboard with 50% living in either Sydney, Brisbane or Melbourne and you’ve also got a bunch of regional centres like Gold Coast, Canberra and Newcastle that also have considerable populations. I guess the original reason why Darwin and the NT wasn’t as densely populated was because British settlement took place on the East Coast hence the population growth. Not to mention, the climate on the Eastern Seaboard is generally a lot more tolerable unless living in a heavily humid place is your go.

Plus Darwin is quite remote from the rest of Australia too, over 1,000k to the nearest town, as well as Darwin being in the tropics only has 2 season [wet & dry] with high humidity to go with it, only Perth is even remoter than Darwin from the rest of Aus.
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: September 27, 2021, 12:43:57 am »
Plus Darwin is quite remote from the rest of Australia too, over 1,000k to the nearest town, as well as Darwin being in the tropics only has 2 season [wet & dry] with high humidity to go with it, only Perth is even remoter than Darwin from the rest of Aus.

Stockbridge Village sometime feels a little remote and unconnected, I don't suppose it is is it?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2021, 12:08:49 am »
So,

Catalans v Hull KR              Thursday (SF)

Saints v Leeds             Friday (SF)

Penrith Panthers (from West Sydney) v South Sydney Rabbitohs            Sunday (final)

Luckily enough, with international week, there will be something to watch on the Saturday, a Grand Final, hopefully with Saints in it again.

If it's Saints v Catalans I would not wish to call it right now, work to do for both first.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 12:10:49 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2021, 12:39:39 am »
South Sydney were shite for a few years, I see they're back near the top again.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2021, 07:00:19 am »

They're without arguably their best player as well, Latrell Mitchell.

But anyway, if Penrith play like they did in the semi, they'll be too good. Play like they did in the couple of previous games, and it's wide open.
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: October 1, 2021, 11:52:33 pm »
Semi finals a little one sided but that sets up next Saturday's evening's final fantastically well, too close to call I'd say

6pm Saturday October 9th Old Trafford

Tickets from £15 for Juniors, £22.5 for seniors and £30 for adults upwards (or Sky)

https://www.superleague.co.uk/tickets/grand-final

And/or you can watch Andorra v England at 7.45pm

I know which one I want to watch

Penrith V South Sydney 9.30 am tomorrow (Sunday, Sky), highlights available later in the day

https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2021/grand-final/game-1/

« Last Edit: October 2, 2021, 06:13:01 pm by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #134 on: October 2, 2021, 07:36:39 am »
Completely dominant from Saints last night from first to last. Tony Bellew is apparently a Saints fan as well.

Think Morgan Knowles will have a sleepless night waiting on the disciplinary after his yellow also.

Everyone else in RL now Catalonian for the day.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #135 on: October 2, 2021, 07:50:34 am »
Semi finals a little one sided but that sets up next Saturday's evening's final fantastically well, too close to call I'd say

6pm Saturday October 9th Old Trafford

Tickets from £15 for Juniors, £22.5 for seniors and £30 for adults upwards (or Sky)

https://www.superleague.co.uk/tickets/grand-final

And/or you can watch Andorra v England at 7.45pm

I know which one I want to watch

Penrith V South Sydney 9.30 am tomorrow (saturday, Sky), highlights available later in the day

https://www.nrl.com/draw/nrl-premiership/2021/grand-final/game-1/

This is one area were RL has it spot on & that's ticket prices for the major RL events aren't a rip off like other sports, £30-£40 for a grand final, with £85 for the most expensive ticket, minus hospitality tickets, is a bargain for a final. Ticket prices were similar for the recent challenge cup final at Wembley too.

Annoyingly i won't be going as i'm of to the NFL at Tottenham Stadium, although i'm going to the Jags game in 2 weeks i won't have the money to go to both
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: October 3, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: October 3, 2021, 12:28:01 pm »
Completely dominant from Saints last night from first to last. Tony Bellew is apparently a Saints fan as well.

Think Morgan Knowles will have a sleepless night waiting on the disciplinary after his yellow also.

Everyone else in RL now Catalonian for the day.

Saints must be fucking horrible to play against. They press and defend like I would imagine Klopp would coach a rugby league team, right in your faces defending from the front. They’re a bit like us when we won the league in the sense that they just grind you down mentally and physically, leading to silly mistakes which they then punish. Fans of other clubs always say to me players turn to shit against you and do stupid things and that we aren’t that good but it’s because we grind teams down and they do those stupid things.

Been a joy watching saints the last few seasons, hopefully we can make it three in a row.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #138 on: October 3, 2021, 02:09:09 pm »
NRL final

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/?competition=111&round=29&season=2021&subType=Match+Highlight

Wow

Watch without the score

Good to watch without knowing the score although the thumbnail images don’t help!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 3, 2021, 03:30:04 pm »
Good to watch without knowing the score although the thumbnail images don’t help!

I watch on a laptop, were you watching on a phone?
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: October 4, 2021, 03:57:36 pm »
Saints must be fucking horrible to play against. They press and defend like I would imagine Klopp would coach a rugby league team, right in your faces defending from the front. They’re a bit like us when we won the league in the sense that they just grind you down mentally and physically, leading to silly mistakes which they then punish. Fans of other clubs always say to me players turn to shit against you and do stupid things and that we aren’t that good but it’s because we grind teams down and they do those stupid things.

Been a joy watching saints the last few seasons, hopefully we can make it three in a row.

Woolf has certainly got Saints defending on another level. I think for last season and much of this, we looked pretty uninspiring with ball in hand, very methodical and conservative. The odd spark of entertaining rugby, but generally an 'arm wrestle' approach.

Since young Dodd has come in at 7, we've looked a different team from an attacking perspective - especially when Welsby has partnered him.

Two halfbacks, aged 19 & 20, looking like top, top talents, and dominating games. Superb stuff.

That's just part of a wider programme of bringing players through from the Academy. We'll likely have 7 of the starting 13 on Saturday who've fully come through the ranks, plus Walmsley and Batchelor who we signed as young and unproven players from lower-league, part-time clubs.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #141 on: October 7, 2021, 01:29:31 pm »

Never ceases to amuse me when (usually European) tourists (back when they were allowed in) would talk about how they’re going to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane to Darwin like it can be done in a day ;D

Last four seasons they’ve made at least the preliminary finals and this year went one step closer by making the Grand Final. Likely regression on the way given the captain and coach are on their way out plus a few other starting players. Penrith will be very hard to beat next year given they barely lose anyone whereas Melbourne and Souths lose a few key players. Guess it’s how it should be when most of Penrith’s squad have come through their junior pathways. It does help that they have a large catchment area but they’ve put the work in off the field to build their junior programs and now it’s starting to pay off.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #142 on: October 7, 2021, 01:43:02 pm »
Never ceases to amuse me when (usually European) tourists (back when they were allowed in) would talk about how they’re going to drive from Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane to Darwin like it can be done in a day ;D

Last four seasons they’ve made at least the preliminary finals and this year went one step closer by making the Grand Final. Likely regression on the way given the captain and coach are on their way out plus a few other starting players. Penrith will be very hard to beat next year given they barely lose anyone whereas Melbourne and Souths lose a few key players. Guess it’s how it should be when most of Penrith’s squad have come through their junior pathways. It does help that they have a large catchment area but they’ve put the work in off the field to build their junior programs and now it’s starting to pay off.

I still amuse myself with the fact I was stupid enough to take a coach from Alice Springs to Townsville in one hit. Figured there wasn’t much to see in between so I might as well just get there!

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: October 8, 2021, 11:41:11 pm »
So remember, if you watch the grand final at 6pm (sky streams are available), you'll probably miss the first 15 minutes of Andorra v England, so there's an incentive

Should be a good game, well balanced, two good teams.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #144 on: October 9, 2021, 08:02:25 pm »
Well in Saints.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: October 9, 2021, 09:41:56 pm »
3 in a row, well done Saints

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: October 9, 2021, 09:43:09 pm »
Now to take the regular beating these days off the NRL champions.  ;D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2021, 12:36:32 am »
So 14-12 in the NRL final and 12-10 in the Grand final, I love tight games even it if does raise the stress levels.

Great game, great teams, great winners
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2021, 05:22:09 pm »
Saints women have won the Women's Super League Grand Final, too.

That's both the men's and women's teams as Challenge Cup and Super League champions.

A double-double.

It's a unique and pretty amazing achievement.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #149 on: October 10, 2021, 06:58:44 pm »
Featherstone are getting there arses kicked at the mo, losing 16-0 at halftime against Toulouse, winners play in super league next season  it's live on sky sports arena
#Sausages

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2021, 07:14:53 pm »
Would love to do a Toulouse & Catalans Rugby pilgrimage one day.  South of France in late spring would be nice lads.  8)

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2021, 08:12:09 pm »
Toulose won 34-12 & are promoted to super league
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: October 11, 2021, 12:34:20 am »
Rugby League possibly suffers more prejudice in France than it does in this country.

If you look at the coverage in newspapers you see 8 pages of RU sometimes and then filtered in is a single article, never full page, for RL, even if it's the grand final or the CL. Crowds for club games used to be comparable but union is probably ahead now, albeit not by much and, of course, the crowds that follow union tend to have more money (and more influence, especially in terms of high profile sponsorship) given the prominence of the game in the public school system. The days of lifetime bans for anyone playing league are gone but the north south divide is still real.

In France it's different, the main areas for league and union are far closer in terms of geography but union, yet again, holds more sway in the establishment. The rivalry goes back to Vichy France and the Nazis so you can imagine the vitriol is likely to be higher with the die hards as well. Apparently it's hard to find RL on TV over there because the Union establishment block it nationally, and top RL (ie those below Catalan and Tolouse) do get decent crowds, although, having TV coverage strangled is a factor in this. Let's see how a proper big local french derby in Rugby League changes things, if at all.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forbidden-Game-Untold-French-League/dp/1901347052

« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 12:47:11 am by Black Bull Nova »
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2021, 04:21:00 pm »
England v France in Men's and Women's double header.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/58891997

International rugby league will return to BBC television screens with England men's and women's teams featuring in a double-header against France.

The two matches, played back-to-back at Perpignan's Stade Gilbert Brutus on 23 October, will be shown live on BBC One and BBC Two respectively.

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2021, 05:00:18 pm »
International RL is garbage & has been for years, which is sad in a way.
#Sausages

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2021, 06:50:31 pm »
International RL is garbage & has been for years, which is sad in a way.

Having said that the England v NZ semi final in 2013 was wonderful partly because of the finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIUVpOtsUy8

but also because it included the best pass in the history of rugby (either code)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjhDmIeTiY

as was the England v Tonga semi in 2017

Where the end of the game was just stunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUJxUGatDb4

So, not all bad

aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2021, 03:22:43 pm »
Anyone else watching the RL Test match against France on BBC 1?

England up 20-0 with 8 debutants.

FT- France 10-30 England
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 04:26:16 pm by Samie »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2021, 03:26:08 pm »
Here's a stat for you and shows the shite that International Rugby League is.

After today we play one more game (which is a warm up) next summer before we go into a World Cup.   ;D

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: October 24, 2021, 04:06:13 pm »
Here's a stat for you and shows the shite that International Rugby League is.

After today we play one more game (which is a warm up) next summer before we go into a World Cup.   ;D

I tend to agree with your sentiment but then I'd love international football to be like that
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2021, 06:53:42 pm »
I see the World Cup is now back on for next year but all the finals are to be in Manchester now.
BBC NW got loads of people crowing about how great it is that “all the finals are now in Manchester”
I can only assume the Liverpool arena is booked up. But again we get shafted. I still SMT get over the fact we were part of their Commonwealth bid with the cycling velodrome to be built here, and once they got the bid, they fucked Liverpool off.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."