Poll

Obviously the Brexit effects are only just showing and it's going to get a lot, lot worse.. but for now..

.. Brexit is going great. Sunlit fucking plateaus full of fucking wonder
.. Brexit is just taking time, it'll be reet
Moo!
.. Brexit is pretty bad, but maybe will get better
.. Brexit is terrible
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post.
.. Rees Mogg and all the Brexiters should be hung off a lamp-post AND I like cheese

Author Topic: Brexit. the Con continues  (Read 527645 times)

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
Re: Brexit. the Con continues
« Reply #200 on: September 8, 2020, 05:48:09 am »
Problem is mate, the upper class twits led by Spaffer, think that NI is still a colony of the glorious Empire where the unionist are supposed to keep the natives happy.
What they don’t realise is that times have moved on from when they could use the threat of the colonial police and the army to keep a lid on it.
The genie of peaceful progress was let out of the bottle by Mo Mowlem and the twits have to find a way forward that doesn’t involve treating NI like a colony.
Many reasonable unionists are Having to re-evaluate  their attachment to the Tories.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 8, 2020, 06:43:12 am »
That article also makes me laugh how much this government takes people’s ignorance for granted. Talking about the administrative difficulties of including EU nationals in the vote - they literally have to be crossed off the register for General Elections, it’s the opposite of difficult...

Being one of those EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote, that still makes me absolutely furious. They didn't find it difficult on the other hand to include all the Commonwealth citizens in the UK, including the three Malaysian MSc students I was supervising at that time. They were in the UK for less than a year, but got to decide on my future. They all voted leave, because they thought that would give them a better chance of a UK visa, should they ever want to come back here.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #202 on: September 8, 2020, 08:03:27 am »
Parliament has been fucking things up with Brexit since 2015. In May’s final year it was absolutely dreadful and culminated in peak idiocy when Letwin and co took control of the agenda. Even in a situation where it was clear that some consensus had to be found, there was none.

I remember watching Ken Clarke speak about compromise and then Layla Moron of Lib Dem fame got up and said we should have a second vote where the options are a Norway style deal or Remain. What a plonker.

Now, we are getting what this country deserved. Having said that, I still think there will be some last minute agreement but if not, it doesn’t matter because this country is fucked either way.

Those indicative votes were a disaster. They were a genuine chance to come up with a compromise, something nobody was happy with but a majority could live with. Instead everyone decided to try and get exactly what they wanted.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: September 8, 2020, 08:19:25 am »
Being one of those EU nationals who weren't allowed to vote, that still makes me absolutely furious. They didn't find it difficult on the other hand to include all the Commonwealth citizens in the UK, including the three Malaysian MSc students I was supervising at that time. They were in the UK for less than a year, but got to decide on my future. They all voted leave, because they thought that would give them a better chance of a UK visa, should they ever want to come back here.

Wait... non-citizen non-permanent residents were allowed to vote in the referendum?

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #204 on: September 8, 2020, 08:34:16 am »
Wait... non-citizen non-permanent residents were allowed to vote in the referendum?

I didn't know that either.

As long as they voted their way I suppose the Little Englanders would be happy enough for the children of the Empire voting to leave. Bit like memsahib telling the punkah wallah what to do.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 8, 2020, 09:26:28 am »

Commonwealth citizens can vote in UK General Elections (the rules of which were used for the referenda). Citizens of the EU (except for Ireland, Malta and Cyprus who get all the votes) can't vote in General/Referenda, but can vote in local. It's the same register for both - so when generating a general election register, you cross off people inelligible. Ergo it's more admin to exclude EU citizens than to include them.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 8, 2020, 12:00:37 pm »

Yep. It lead to all sorts of weird constellations. I've heard of one case where a EU national, who was working here, wasn't allowed to vote (off course). But her Canadian husband, who was only allowed into the UK by virtue of being married to the EU national, was allowed to vote.

The 'non-permanent resident' thing is a bit vague - I guess students can classify themselves as residents.

There's 3 million EU nationals in the UK. Wonder what their votes would have done to the referendum decision?
« Last Edit: September 8, 2020, 12:03:08 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #207 on: September 8, 2020, 12:05:53 pm »
I see our top legal civil servant has jumped ship, due to the deal changes.

Every single day, the mess gets bigger.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #208 on: September 8, 2020, 12:42:04 pm »
FT's story on it.

Lou Haigh ripping into them now in Parliament. May's up to ask a question after her.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #209 on: September 8, 2020, 12:49:04 pm »
David Allen Green's informative thread on the significance of this which includes the following
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1303266901854957568

david allen green@davidallengreen
And this is why today's resignation is so very significant It signifies that that there is a serious attempt within government to disregard or subvert the rule of law

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 8, 2020, 12:50:16 pm »
UK has the same problem the US have - an attorney general with no grasp of, respect for, or interest in the law.

Of all the Ministers, Braverman is by far the least able, most dangerous and just shit.

Fucking galling to think as a country we went from having Grieve as Attorney General to this useless twat in a few short years. Disastrous.

I wonder if there's likely to be a big enough potential rebellion to force a U-turn. Doubtful with all the automotons and nutters they have, but can't imagine May voting for this - and there must be SOME Tories left who respect international law?

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #211 on: September 8, 2020, 12:55:16 pm »
FT's story on it.

Lou Haigh ripping into them now in Parliament. May's up to ask a question after her.

Not exactly a surprise given Braverman appears to have been given the job with the sole intention of telling the govt exactly what they want to hear

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 8, 2020, 01:00:12 pm »
Hoare also speaking against it.

I just wish these fucking c*nts would for once put their own view of what's right ahead of their narrow interests. May, Hunt etc should've stood with Clarke, Hammond, Gauke etc back in November time. There's still enough of them who know this is fucking bonkers and wrong to overhaul the ERG, the Vote Leave crew and the shit new MPs they got in December - but they fucking won't.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #213 on: September 8, 2020, 01:19:47 pm »
Think this is all about at risk goods, goods entering NI don't have tariffs added but tariffs are added if they know the goods are destined for the Republic, the final destination of some goods are vague so tariffs are added but refunded if those goods finish up staying in NI , maybe am wrong but the reason for this clause look obvious,  stopping smuggling, people from the UK+the rest of the world exporting goods into NI and onto the Republic without paying tariffs. it's closing the loophole for smuggling, the Tories agreed to all this back on November, Boris +co said it was a magnificent deal. best thing since sliced bread they told the country, the country voted for it when they backed Johnsons Oven ready deal., Parliament passed it, the treaty was signed by the UK+EU, it became international law, 10 months later the Tories are saying they've just noticed a problem so we want to renege on the deal.
How many U turns has Johnsons government done since they have been in power, over 15 at least, this is a uturn, they are admitting they made a mistake, they didn't understand what they were signing so we're changing it to this. this is the job they were elected to do and they have told us they have messed up badly again.
 Is this how the trade deals will go, negotiate a trade deal, tell the UK  they are delighted as it's the best thing since sliced bread .few months later someone tells them this is a awful deal lets renege on it. this is what happens when you elect incompetent charlatans into power. all this inside 10 months.

« Last Edit: September 8, 2020, 01:24:54 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: September 8, 2020, 01:47:05 pm »
It’s also what happens when you are entirely led by a thick and lazy PM with a thick and lazy special advisor.

Offline leroy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 8, 2020, 02:05:17 pm »
Commonwealth citizens can vote in UK General Elections (the rules of which were used for the referenda). Citizens of the EU (except for Ireland, Malta and Cyprus who get all the votes) can't vote in General/Referenda, but can vote in local. It's the same register for both - so when generating a general election register, you cross off people inelligible. Ergo it's more admin to exclude EU citizens than to include them.

Yep. It lead to all sorts of weird constellations. I've heard of one case where a EU national, who was working here, wasn't allowed to vote (off course). But her Canadian husband, who was only allowed into the UK by virtue of being married to the EU national, was allowed to vote.

The 'non-permanent resident' thing is a bit vague - I guess students can classify themselves as residents.

There's 3 million EU nationals in the UK. Wonder what their votes would have done to the referendum decision?

This is truly strange to me.  By non-permanent resident I'm kind of using Australian language.  We have "Permanent Residency" status which basically the step before becoming a citizen.  They're not currently entitled to vote here but I could see a scenario where in a situation like the Brexit referendum the argument could be made to extend it to them. 

There was a bit of a scandal down here in the last few years where some MPs were turfed from parliament because they had dual citizenship (which makes you ineligible to nominate for an election).

I guess the equivalent for us would be if PNG citizens were allowed to vote in Aus.  Very odd.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2020, 02:11:58 pm by leroy »

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 8, 2020, 03:04:01 pm »
Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland Secretary “Yes, it breaks international law, in a specific and limited way”.  Does it fucking matter if it’s “specific and limited”?  It’s still breaking the law.

“Yes officer, I was doing 120mph whilst three times over the drink driving limit, but it was only the one journey...specifically this one...hic”.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: September 8, 2020, 03:09:31 pm »
Brandon Lewis, the Northern Ireland Secretary “Yes, it breaks international law, in a specific and limited way”.  Does it fucking matter if it’s “specific and limited”?  It’s still breaking the law.

“Yes officer, I was doing 120mph whilst three times over the drink driving limit, but it was only the one journey...specifically this one...hic”.

It's basically the same argument they used for Cummings isn't it.

They break the law/rules - but it's okay because it's them and it's only one law and also, for fucks sake remember - LAWS APPLY TO LITTLE PEOPLE.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: September 8, 2020, 03:10:46 pm »
One of the ideas which has been punted around is that the government (ie Cummings) want to throw money at tech industries post-Brexit to try and make up for the damage done. Supposedly based on the idea that we've fallen behind in tech and we're going to be dominated by US and China if we don't catch up with our own independent home grown sector etc etc etc.

edit: Know some will raise eyebrows at the idea of Cummings setting government policy but the Tories problem is that they've never actually thought through what a post-Brexit Britain would look like. What's the long term plan? They haven't got one so have reached out to the weird fringes for a ready made 'vision' (tm).

Their long term plan is simply to count their profits from their mates shorting a no deal brexit and getting out of power as soon as possible to ensure that labour have to deal with the fallout from this idiocy.

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 8, 2020, 03:12:08 pm »
Insane that Buckland hasn't resigned. Obviously Braverman is both a) thick as pigshit and b) way too far down the Vote Leave rabbithole to have any principles, but Buckland is the fucking Lord Justice or whatever. He should be struck off the register.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 8, 2020, 03:23:33 pm »
It's basically the same argument they used for Cummings isn't it.

They break the law/rules - but it's okay because it's them and it's only one law and also, for fucks sake remember - LAWS APPLY TO LITTLE PEOPLE.

Quite.  And as someone has just said to me, can you break the law in an unspecific, and unlimited, way?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #221 on: September 8, 2020, 03:51:05 pm »
Their long term plan is simply to count their profits from their mates shorting a no deal brexit and getting out of power as soon as possible to ensure that labour have to deal with the fallout from this idiocy.

Whilst I'm sure there'll be many already-wealthy twats making a killing, it's far more damaging than that.

There's two main groups who, from the start, have driven and funded the leave campaign.

One is a bunch of economically hard-right supporters of laissez-faire capitalism, intent on having their 'bonfire of red tape' - which is a euphemism for removing protections for workers, the environment & consumers in order to allow the owners of capital to maximise profits and not be encumbered with horrid notions like food hygiene standards or health and safety law or pollution controls.

The other is linked to the 'grey' financial sector, where £hundreds of billions flow through London each year on their way to the British Overseas Territories and Crown Dependencies for the purpose of taking advantage of the ultra-secretive jurisdictions there, either for tax or money laundering reasons. These people either have a business interest in the sub-industry that facilitates this (banking, legal, accountancy, tax planning, etc) or use the corrupt system directly themselves. The direction of travel for EU legislation on anti-tax avoidance and anti-money laundering is finally moving more quickly and lifting the veil of secrecy for investigative reasons (police or tax authorities) is a tenet of both ATAD and AMLD, which would apply to all EU members states - and, crucially, the territories linked to them (which would include the BOTs and CDs).

There's also a moronic smaller and far less influential group who are just flag-shagging nationalists.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #222 on: September 8, 2020, 04:26:32 pm »
David Allen Green's informative thread on the significance of this which includes the following
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1303266901854957568

Seen a few Lawyers on Twitter saying if your client admits their guilt, or tells you they plan to break the law then you are bound to tell them you can’t represent them.

"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #223 on: September 8, 2020, 04:30:13 pm »
It’s also what happens when you are entirely led by a thick and lazy PM with a thick and lazy special advisor.

Saw a quote from The Blind Tadpole Cummings’ blog where he advocates that the law should not govern the actions of a government.

Spent his time doing what in Russia?

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #224 on: September 8, 2020, 05:15:47 pm »

The temerity of these idiots

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: September 8, 2020, 05:30:24 pm »
The more I think about it, the more I see this as part a pathetic bluff, and part trying to keep the ERG loons from revolting and grandstanding for the Brexwit plebs.

The consequences of shitting all over an international law would be huge - especially when trying to secure trade deals with other countries. The destruction of trust and veneer of competence would be incredibly damaging.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Circa1892

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: September 8, 2020, 05:34:02 pm »
It’s something as a country we’d take decades to recover from.

Baffling that Braverman and Buckland are able to look themselves in the mirror.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 8, 2020, 06:18:49 pm »
It’s something as a country we’d take decades to recover from.

Baffling that Braverman and Buckland are able to look themselves in the mirror.
Sadly I think it's even more serious than that, especially for places like Merseyside. this is why ive always wanted a Chilcot type inquiry when the mood of the country changes, I want people jailed for what they have done over the last few years, if any charges can be brought for anything then they need to be punished. starting with Frottage and his breaking point poster, a Labour MP was shot and knifed to death within hours of that being front page news in Newspapers, he incited violence using a racial poster, there are others who need to be investigated, all kicked under the carpet a few years back.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2020, 06:23:11 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: September 8, 2020, 09:53:17 pm »
Starmers put this well I think. "Lets not open old arguments the public think are settled and that's what the government are doing."
I can see PMQT being explosive tomorrow, Chris Bryant saying Johnsons a liar, a proven liar on TV this morning, Andrea Jenkins replies the Labour party are liars for not respsecting the result of the referendum. if that's all Johnson has considering his record then should be only 1 winner and it's not Johnson.
https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1303378244796919822
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 8, 2020, 10:26:31 pm »
Sadly I think it's even more serious than that, especially for places like Merseyside. this is why ive always wanted a Chilcot type inquiry when the mood of the country changes, I want people jailed for what they have done over the last few years, if any charges can be brought for anything then they need to be punished. starting with Frottage and his breaking point poster, a Labour MP was shot and knifed to death within hours of that being front page news in Newspapers, he incited violence using a racial poster, there are others who need to be investigated, all kicked under the carpet a few years back.

As long as Arron Banks swings from a lamppost by his stunted neck, I'll be content. I think if I met him face to face, I'd banjo the c*nt and fuck to the consequences. He's everything I despise about this country and the corrupt financial elite.

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: September 8, 2020, 10:32:47 pm »

I'm always bemused by the fact that all these right wing 'law and order' parties are the ones consistently breaking the law, yet no one calls them out on it.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 8, 2020, 11:55:38 pm »
As long as Arron Banks swings from a lamppost by his stunted neck, I'll be content. I think if I met him face to face, I'd banjo the c*nt and fuck to the consequences. He's everything I despise about this country and the corrupt financial elite.
Yep, he was one of the people I was thinking of.  I read he was being investigated, nothing after that. I haven't had much confidence in any investigation connected in some way to brexit.
« Last Edit: September 9, 2020, 12:03:12 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #232 on: September 9, 2020, 07:03:15 am »
I'm always bemused by the fact that all these right wing 'law and order' parties are the ones consistently breaking the law, yet no one calls them out on it.

It's because the fearful middle class voters don't actually care about the 'law' part of it (as long as they haven't been wronged personally, eg a cancelled holiday), and are far more interested in the 'order' making sure they can go about their lives peacefully.

Plus there's an admiration from some for white collar crime. It's distasteful to most to mug someone for £50, but more people than would admit it would be happy to illegally skim £50,000 from faceless 'investors' if they thought there was no chance of getting punished.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline redbyrdz

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 9, 2020, 07:37:12 am »

It's because they think the function of the law is to uphold the current order, which has them at the top. It's perfectly fine for them to change or break the law, as long as they stay on the top.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 9, 2020, 07:46:19 am »
I love the breaking of the law from the Tories. Now, anytime Britain sticks its fat nose into other business it can be told to fuck off. I imagine the Chinese will take great delight, not that they dont already.

Who said Johnson wasnt as bad as Trump?

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: September 9, 2020, 08:04:40 am »

Interesting to see how this plays out. I'm pretty sure Trump would have to follow suit if its raised on the campaign trail as to allow an unwinding of the GFA would be political suicide with a backlash from the approximately 33m Americans who claim so sort of Irish heritage.

UK plans to change Brexit rules threaten US trade deal, top Democrats say
Altering terms of withdrawal agreement on Northern Ireland could damage relations under Biden presidency

Senior Democrats have warned that any attempt by the UK government to backtrack on the Brexit agreement on Northern Ireland would jeopardize a future US-UK free trade deal and could hobble bilateral relations across the board if Joe Biden wins the presidency.

Biden, an Irish American, is a staunch defender of the Good Friday Agreement, of which the US is the guarantor, and which requires an open border between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

“[Joe Biden] is committed to preserving the hard-earned peace & stability in Northern Ireland. As the UK and EU work out their relationship, any arrangements must protect the Good Friday Agreement and prevent the return of a hard border,” Biden’s chief foreign policy adviser, Antony Blinken, said on Twitter on Tuesday night.

People close to the Democratic presidential challenger said any UK move away from those parts of the EU withdrawal agreement that put the 1998 peace deal at risk would present a major impediment to a close relationship between London and Washington in the event of a Biden presidency.

Richard Neal, the chair of the House ways and means committee – which would have a decisive influence on ratification of a trade deal – said he had been repeatedly assured by British officials that there was no threat to the open border between the two Irelands.

“This just came out of the clear blue, nobody was talking about this 72 hours ago,” Neal told the Guardian. “Joe Biden shares my position on this issue entirely ... It’ll be a very significant problem and I have also reiterated time and again to the UK government that I can’t imagine that we could develop a bilateral trade relationship if there was any return to a hard border.”

Democratic officials also said that if Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson proceeded with legislation that his own government admits would break international law, it would call into question the UK’s trustworthiness as a partner.

Even if Donald Trump secured a second term, bipartisan support for the Good Friday agreement in Congresswould probably dash any UK hopes of sealing a quick free trade deal after Brexit.

“The Good Friday Agreement and the broader peace process must be protected if the UK has any hope of obtaining congressional support for a potential US-UK free trade agreement,” Eliot Engel, the chair of the House foreign affairs committee, said.

“While I deeply value the US-UK relationship, it’s outrageous that Prime Minister Johnson is reportedly considering overriding critical parts of the withdrawal agreement that give Northern Ireland special customs considerations,” Engel said in an emailed statement.

“These steps are necessary to prevent a hard border on the island and throwing Northern Ireland back into the fast lane toward potential violence. I urge Prime Minister Johnson to abide by the legally binding agreements the United Kingdom agreed to and I call on the UK and the EU to continue to negotiate in good faith to seek out a smooth Brexit transition.”

Diplomatic sources in the US suggested that the UK government might not have fully thought through the ramifications of its abrupt announcement and had been taken aback by the pushback in Washington.

“It is mind-boggling that Johnson would even consider doing this. He is breaching the only red line Biden has when it comes to Brexit which is to protect the Good Friday Agreement,” said Thomas Wright, the director of the Center on the United States and Europe at the Brookings Institution in Washington. “If he goes this route, the Irish border will dominate the first six months of the UK’s relations with a Biden administration and destroy any prospect of a much needed reboot in the relationship.”

Kim Darroch, former UK ambassador to Washington, said: “You could have a free trade deal, it could even be negotiated by a Republican president and get blocked in the House of Representatives.”

Darroch told BBC Newsnight he “wasn’t surprised to see a government lawyer resign because we stick by international agreements. It is one of the things we stand for.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/08/brexit-northern-ireland-us-uk-trade-deal
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #236 on: September 9, 2020, 09:15:41 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54069456

I wish all you remoaner moaning Minnie's would stop your fomplants about job losses, breaches if International law and potential disorder in Ulster.

We're going to have a Festival!

Hip, hip hooray. And we'll sing what we like even 'There'll always be an England'. That'll be one  in in the eye for the liberal, metropolitan elite.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 9, 2020, 10:27:32 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54069456

I wish all you remoaner moaning Minnie's would stop your fomplants about job losses, breaches if International law and potential disorder in Ulster.

We're going to have a Festival!

Hip, hip hooray. And we'll sing what we like even 'There'll always be an England'. That'll be one  in in the eye for the liberal, metropolitan elite.

You know when the dark part of your brain kinda half wouldn't be too bothered about a terrorist attack...

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #238 on: September 9, 2020, 10:45:18 am »
I think we have two problems here.

Firstly the people leading Brexit have clearly had massive backhanders to personally profit so they don't give a fuck about the country or any future issues.

Secondly the people that voted for Brexit have been conditioned to believe that disgraceful actions like the ones we're seeing here is 'Us sticking it to the bullying EU'

As I said a few months back, I was on holiday (When holidays were a thing :( ) and was talking to a bunch of Brummies and this particular lad was a rabid Brexiter. I said that it'll make the UK worse, make the UK poorer and make his kids poorer.

His response was 'Good! I had to work bloody hard for where I am now and all these scroungers get it too easy and my kids get it too easy - they should have to graft and suffer like I did'

I mentioned people dying and being homeless and he was all for it. 'Teach 'em a lesson' was his opinion.

This is what you're up against - not just people who don't give a fuck about anyone else - but people who love the idea of people suffering and dying 'like they had to..'
« Last Edit: September 9, 2020, 10:47:05 am by Andy ⁎ Allerton »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 9, 2020, 10:47:51 am »
I love the breaking of the law from the Tories. Now, anytime Britain sticks its fat nose into other business it can be told to fuck off. I imagine the Chinese will take great delight, not that they dont already.

Who said Johnson wasnt as bad as Trump?

That would be CC  8)