Author Topic: VAR! Video Assistant Referee & Shite Referees in General  (Read 1299167 times)

Offline MH41

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: VAR! Video Assistant Referee
« Reply #16400 on: February 4, 2023, 10:04:28 pm »
Not a penalty for handball on the line in our match. Neil Mellor was adamant it was a handball and said this is why VAR was introduced to the game to catch "obvious" errors.

When the replay came on he was twice as sure. Then of course Lee Mason went for a coffee.

Would that have changed the match? Who knows. But the point stands, it should have been an obvious call.
I have just made the point in another thread, that we haven't got a penalty in the league all season. The last one I could find was on 02 April last season.
Utd, on the other hand (pardon the pun) were given another helping hand today to make sure they broke the deadlock early in the game

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #16401 on: February 11, 2023, 10:57:16 pm »

From the Mail (apologies) - though an alternative Mail-free link to it can be found below...

'Arsenal fury as it emerges VAR Lee Mason FORGOT to draw offside lines when reviewing Ivan Toney's goal for Brentford at the Emirates in a major error that could affect the title race':-

Brentford equalised thanks to an Ivan Toney to earn a point against Arsenal
The goal was checked for offside before eventually being given by VAR
However, VAR official Lee Mason forgot to draw the offside lines when checking

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11740619/VAR-Lee-Mason-FORGOT-draw-offside-lines-reviewing-Ivan-Toneys-controversial-equaliser.html

^ instead of clicking on the Daily Heil - the article can be read in full here - https://archive.is/Uesxg 

a video of the goal: 'Arsenal 1 - [1] Brentford - Ivan Toney equaliser on 74' - https://dubz.co/c/10s7t8 & https://streamin.me/v/4be6ab26

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #16402 on: February 11, 2023, 11:02:41 pm »

'Human error cited as reason why @OfficialBHAFC goal wrongly ruled out for offside at Selhurst Park this afternoon. Two players in close proximity and line drawn from the one furthest forward rather than the one nearer the goal.' - https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1624514322331275265 (BBC 'journalist')

The wrongly disallowed goal: Estupinan vs Crystal Palace on 33' - https://streamin.me/v/3e0752ab

'An Estupinan goal was ruled offside after the VAR identified the wrong defender as the last man. A stunning level of incompetence.' - https://twitter.com/Tactical_Times/status/1624516394854281217

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16403 on: February 11, 2023, 11:04:41 pm »
'Arsenal fury as it emerges VAR Lee Mason FORGOT to draw offside lines when reviewing Ivan Toney's goal for Brentford at the Emirates in a major error that could affect the title race':-

Said it in the match thread, they only looked at one potential offside and didn't seem to review the other.

That Brentford goal looked offside, VAR was looking at the wrong phase of play.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16404 on: February 11, 2023, 11:28:30 pm »
From the Mail (apologies) - though an alternative Mail-free link to it can be found below...

Brentford equalised thanks to an Ivan Toney to earn a point against Arsenal
The goal was checked for offside before eventually being given by VAR
However, VAR official Lee Mason forgot to draw the offside lines when checking

www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11740619/VAR-Lee-Mason-FORGOT-draw-offside-lines-reviewing-Ivan-Toneys-controversial-equaliser.html

^ instead of clicking on the Daily Heil - the article can be read in full here - https://archive.is/Uesxg 

a video of the goal: 'Arsenal 1 - [1] Brentford - Ivan Toney equaliser on 74' - https://dubz.co/c/10s7t8 & https://streamin.me/v/4be6ab26

They are desperate to bring somehow ManUtd into the mix for the title race.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #16405 on: February 12, 2023, 12:10:12 am »
just cheating bastards but lets laugh if it stops liverpool lose the league , but coming to roost now

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #16406 on: February 12, 2023, 08:21:12 am »
They are desperate to bring somehow ManUtd into the mix for the title race.

Didn't see the game, which one was actually checked?
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16407 on: February 12, 2023, 09:14:59 am »

No 20 is offside, No5 is getting his shirt pulled and there is a wrestling match going on outside the D. 2-1 on fouls for Arsenal there.

Bent as fuck that decision, forgot to draw the lines my arse, straight up cheating
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16408 on: February 12, 2023, 09:33:12 am »
The Brighton decision is the most bat shit crazy of them all. How can the VAR not see that there is another Palace player stood BEHIND where they've drawn the line?!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16409 on: February 12, 2023, 09:37:09 am »
If it's not bad enough that you can't celebrate when your team score now, or if a goal goes in somewhere you need to wait 5 minutes to let VAR do its thing before you know it's actually counted, but you can't even trust them to get decisions right with something as binary as offside.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16410 on: February 12, 2023, 09:38:09 am »
Didn't see the game, which one was actually checked?

From what they've shown on TV, they only checked the first one, and decided he wasn't interfering with play. And then forgot to have a look at what followed.

A bit like Coote deciding Van Dijk was offside, so it didn't matter he was later assaulted by Pickford.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16411 on: February 12, 2023, 09:38:27 am »
The only saving grace was the offsides. Just bin it, officials clearly too incompetent to make it worthwhile. The payoff for missing out on instant euphoria isn't worth it.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #16412 on: February 12, 2023, 09:43:45 am »
The only saving grace was the offsides. Just bin it, officials clearly too incompetent to make it worthwhile. The payoff for missing out on instant euphoria isn't worth it.

It's just not worth it. Look at the West Ham game yesterday, a winning goal gets ruled out minutes later for a fractional offside (right decision but pre-VAR nobody is too bothered by a goal like that) and then misses a stonewall pen a few minutes later.

It's just not a reliable system and takes so much away from the game.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16413 on: February 12, 2023, 09:44:23 am »
Howard Webb has sure improved things
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16414 on: February 12, 2023, 09:46:05 am »

For United yeah  :D

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16415 on: February 12, 2023, 09:48:30 am »

ha ha refs had shocker today. Good thing is that it can't be as bad today. Man Utd aren't playing today are they?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16416 on: February 12, 2023, 10:10:50 am »
Babel was right, the Webb is shite
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline oojason

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #16417 on: February 12, 2023, 10:55:50 am »

Meanwhile In Scotland, fans give their opinion on some of the match officials....

'The only correct VAR call this weekend in the country':-

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16418 on: February 12, 2023, 11:13:40 am »
Liverpool and Bournmouth only two sides in the league not to be awarded a single penalty all season

Bournmouth - 6 against. Liverpool - 3 against.

(Note that those two teams don't appear on this list as they haven't had any penalties: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1 )
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16419 on: February 12, 2023, 11:14:30 am »
ha ha refs had shocker today. Good thing is that it can't be as bad today. Man Utd aren't playing today are they?

Leeds 2 - Manchester United 3 (Penalty 84, 88, 98)

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16420 on: February 12, 2023, 11:16:21 am »
Liverpool and Bournmouth only two sides in the league not to be awarded a single penalty all season

Bournmouth - 6 against. Liverpool - 3 against.

(Note that those two teams don't appear on this list as they haven't had any penalties: https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/topErhalteneElfmeter/wettbewerb/GB1 )

I can't think of many instances this season where we should have had a penalty. Unlike a couple of years ago, where we had a barrage of awful decisions, I think it's been fairly even for us this season.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #16421 on: February 12, 2023, 11:26:40 am »
I can't think of many instances this season where we should have had a penalty. Unlike a couple of years ago, where we had a barrage of awful decisions, I think it's been fairly even for us this season.

I can remember two on Salah off the top of my head - One blocked in the area running down the right, one clearly tapped on the ankle as he beat his man. The handball against Wolves.

Seen a few that 'could' have given - none even considered or looked at by VAR. Just simply ignored by the refs which you completely expect and by the media which now, sadly, you completely expect as well.

The Premier League and football hasn't been a sport for a while. It's a pantomime with themes and tropes, good guys and bad guys (Good guys usually English, bad guys usually 'dirty diving foreigners'). This year there is a new narrative and certain clubs are getting every decision going, some aren't. It looks more or less scripted, with the odd team able to buck the trend and change the narrative for a game.

But it all 'evens out in the end' dontchaknow

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16422 on: February 12, 2023, 11:35:30 am »
Can't recall the first two, the against Wolves was early in the second half? I don't think that one was a penalty.

The only I can remember we should have had was the Arsenal one, with Gabriel's handball.

Online Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16423 on: February 12, 2023, 11:40:20 am »

Arsenal handball the most obvious one I’d say.

Salah does get fouled quite abit I agree some are not what in an ideal world see given as pens but if some of them challenges are on Rashford/Kane we know the outcome all you want is fairness not decisions given to you.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16424 on: February 12, 2023, 11:49:40 am »
Arsenal handball the most obvious one I’d say.

Salah does get fouled quite abit I agree some are not what in an ideal world see given as pens but if some of them challenges are on Rashford/Kane we know the outcome all you want is fairness not decisions given to you.

Oh I don't disagree with that. If Salah was reffed the same was as Kane or Rashford, we'd win a lot more freekicks and penalties.

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #16425 on: February 12, 2023, 12:25:30 pm »
lee mason part of the g manchester cartel

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16426 on: February 12, 2023, 12:28:52 pm »
Been calling out refs for yearsssss but it's just amusing to me seeing sides now whinging about mistakes when it's costing their sides... was all a laugh and joke when it was us, interesting when the tables are turned

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16427 on: February 12, 2023, 12:55:52 pm »
Put it out of its misery.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16428 on: February 12, 2023, 01:04:09 pm »
Only have to watch rugby to see refs still have the balls to make decisions and the video ref more often than not will confirm he or she was spot on. Done quickly no messing about in situations that has bodies all over the place blocking views etc. Football would half arze anything they bring into the game as they couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16429 on: February 12, 2023, 01:16:21 pm »

No, as far as I'm concerned, that's the wrong attitude. VAR as a system isn't the problem, its the officials that are the problem and it'll never work right until the officials are binned off for better. Getting rid of the system is just giving them carte blanche to be even shitter than they are now. The focus HAS to be on the low standard of the referees and the more they fuck up with VAR, the more they are exposed.

Bin VAR off and you'll all be going fucking mental when we lose a game because a player was 2 yards offside and its not given, or we miss out on a title because a player who was yards onside is given off and a goal is ruled out..

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline mainone

• Anny Roader
  • this is the end.....
« Reply #16430 on: February 12, 2023, 01:38:04 pm »
the g manchester cartel soon coming your way

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16431 on: February 12, 2023, 04:26:54 pm »
Webb has called Arsenal & Brighton today about the incorrect VAR decisions. How flipping pointless ;D

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16432 on: February 12, 2023, 05:40:13 pm »
Webb has called Arsenal & Brighton today about the incorrect VAR decisions. How flipping pointless ;D

Probably told them to get used to it.

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16433 on: February 12, 2023, 06:56:02 pm »
It is the second major VAR error involving Mason and Arsenal, with Gabriel Martinelli's disallowed goal at Manchester United, when the score was 0-0 in a game the Gunners lost 3-1, ruled by the independent assessment panel to be an incorrect intervention.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4875921/pgmol-admits-var-offside-errors-for-two-goals-brentford-vs-arsenal-brighton-vs-crystal-palace

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Offline BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #16435 on: February 12, 2023, 07:32:46 pm »
Miserable looking Manc c*nt.

Single-handedly influencing the title race in a way Master Webb himself would be proud of.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #16436 on: February 12, 2023, 07:58:32 pm »
Single-handedly influencing the title race in a way Master Webb himself would be proud of.
You can just imagine that SYP prick's first meeting with the refs:

"My fellow Mancs you're wasting your time trying to be subtle; just cheat openly; no one gives a fuck and even some of the Scouse shite will support you, calling their own fellows tin foil hatters.

Lee, I don't wanna see you drawing any more lines if not doing so will help Utd. Paul, love the baldy homage and the way you influence games in lots of small ways that add up, but you need to keep focus: the aim is to help Sralex's team. Always remember that. There's no point shooting your load helping the likes of Spurs just cos it messes with the Scouse; keep focussed on helping the Only Team That Matters.

Ant, you can forget about all that Altrincham stuff now. Everyone knows you come from an OT seasie family and yet they still don't care that you're allowed to influence things as you will. So you can reclaim your seat in the Stretford End and celebrate like Mike Dean on acid whenever Rashie scores. No one will do anything.

Always remember, A Strong Manchester United Is Essential For The Premier league Brand. And it's our job to help them stay strong. Christ you think the likes of Shaw, Maguire and Anthony can do that alone? Without our support? Ok. Let's go.

Mike lad, a quiet word if I may. It's been noticed just how shite you've become all of a sudden. I know I said cheat openly but at least make a pretence at competence. Yes I know Cootie looks like a fucking gimp, I don't like working with him either, but that Van Dijk thing was too big a risk. It was blatent and it didn't help Utd. So cut that out and stay focussed!"
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:16:06 pm by Ghost Town »
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16437 on: February 12, 2023, 11:02:38 pm »
:D

On the "you'll be even more pissed when they revert to chalking off goals that were 2 yards onside " shout... yes, of course, but I'd consider it a worthwhile tradeoff for getting the spontaneity back into the game. Agreed that better officials are the most important thing. A global ref pool is a must.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #16438 on: February 12, 2023, 11:33:06 pm »
:D

On the "you'll be even more pissed when they revert to chalking off goals that were 2 yards onside " shout... yes, of course, but I'd consider it a worthwhile tradeoff for getting the spontaneity back into the game. Agreed that better officials are the most important thing. A global ref pool is a must.

As if other Leagues/FA's are going to let their best Refs leave to go to the PL.

Not to mention be bossed by Howard the Manc Webb.

You're 'aving a laff.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16439 on: February 13, 2023, 12:46:23 am »