Author Topic: NBA Discussion  (Read 603463 times)

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
NBA Discussion
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:08:03 am »
New season, new thread!  :)
« Last Edit: July 1, 2017, 09:16:45 pm by John C »
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: NBA Season 2015-16 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:20:56 am »
I'll post this here as well guy's.

AWWYC is doing another NBA draft. If you're interested sign up.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=322383.0

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 02:21:43 am »
Considering most (important) business has been completed, any early predictions?

WCF: Clippers-Spurs (the top of the West is going to be insane this season, with GSW bringing everyone back; Spurs getting Aldridge & West; Houston adding Lawson to their roster; Clippers resigning DeAndre & filling out their bench with Lance, Pierce, & Josh Smith; and OKC will of course be up there)

ECF: Cavaliers-Heat (the East will be better this season but still significantly below the West. I'm looking at the Heat right now and I think, if healthy, they have the best roster to challenge: Bosh, Dragic, & Wade as their 'big 3,' with solid pieces in other positions - Deng, Winslow, Whiteside, McBob; & Amar'e, Gerald Green on minimum deals).

Going to pick the Spurs to win.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:52:14 am »
Considering most (important) business has been completed, any early predictions?

WCF: Clippers-Spurs (the top of the West is going to be insane this season, with GSW bringing everyone back; Spurs getting Aldridge & West; Houston adding Lawson to their roster; Clippers resigning DeAndre & filling out their bench with Lance, Pierce, & Josh Smith; and OKC will of course be up there)

ECF: Cavaliers-Heat (the East will be better this season but still significantly below the West. I'm looking at the Heat right now and I think, if healthy, they have the best roster to challenge: Bosh, Dragic, & Wade as their 'big 3,' with solid pieces in other positions - Deng, Winslow, Whiteside, McBob; & Amar'e, Gerald Green on minimum deals).

Going to pick the Spurs to win.

WCF: Warriors-Thunder. I think a healthy Thunder will surprise a lot. They have 2 of the 5 best players in NBA in Durant and Westbrook. Also while being overpaid (who isn't?), Kanter will do a lot of little things and create open space for Westbrook. They dont need Kanter to be dominany in defense as they have Ibaka. As for my Warriors, championship gave a lot of confidence to the players, coach, the fans. They will build this up. 3rd pick is Spurs. They always come back strong when they have a disappointing season. Parker is declining fast though.

EAST: Cavs and Lebron, regardless of who they play. I am not sold on the Wizards, Heat at all.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:09:55 am »
EAST: Cavs and Lebron, regardless of who they play. I am not sold on the Wizards, Heat at all.

Cleveland is definitely coming out of the East, no doubt. Their opponents could be any of the 'best of the rest,' though: Raptors, Wiz, Heat, Hawks, & Bulls; I think these teams are fairly evenly matched on paper, with the edge (in my opinion) going to Miami.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:06:44 am »
The Raptors have made some great moves this summer, especially bringing in Carroll. Expecting them to at least get past the 1st round of the play-offs this season.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 08:54:13 am »
Oh y'all completely ruling out the Pacers from the 'rest of the bunch' in the East?
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 01:23:19 pm »
Oh y'all completely ruling out the Pacers from the 'rest of the bunch' in the East?

Completely forgot about them, to be honest.  ;D Hopefully George comes backs fit and firing.

Cleveland is definitely coming out of the East, no doubt. Their opponents could be any of the 'best of the rest,' though: Raptors, Wiz, Heat, Hawks, & Bulls; I think these teams are fairly evenly matched on paper, with the edge (in my opinion) going to Miami.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the moves. If CoJo can work playing off the ball as a '2,' and thrive with more responsibility as a '1,' if JV takes the next step in his development (by the way, I find it hilarious we're trying to "extend his range" after, y'know, we drafted him as a pick-and-pop big, then told him he was too small, that he needed to bulk up and work his back-to-the-basket game; and now we're telling him he's too big and limited, that he needs to be more mobile and able to shoot jumpers. :D Poor JV), if DeRozan & Lowry can play to an All-Star level (Lowry has lost a tonne of weight; looks good), if Carroll can work as a small ball '4,' if Casey can effectively make us play with lots of ball movement and abandon isolations, and if Ross is not be completely awful, we could make ECF.  :) Lots of ifs, though. Should be fun to watch, as I really don't know what'll happen.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:33:18 pm by Kopenhagen »

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 01:26:48 pm »
The Raptors have made some great moves this summer, especially bringing in Carroll. Expecting them to at least get past the 1st round of the play-offs this season.

Great? Biyombo, Carroll and Joseph aren't what I'd call great. I like Joseph and Carroll but they don't make us contenders at all imo. At least we have plenty of cap space to work with

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 01:32:29 pm »
Great? Biyombo, Carroll and Joseph aren't what I'd call great. I like Joseph and Carroll but they don't make us contenders at all imo. At least we have plenty of cap space to work with

But we already have a decent team and Masai has done well to improve us without blowing it up. We're not serious contenders - Cleveland will obviously come out of the East - but we have the pieces to make an exciting team. We've done well, imo. Scola is a good pickup, too.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 01:44:56 pm »
But we already have a decent team and Masai has done well to improve us without blowing it up. We're not serious contenders - Cleveland will obviously come out of the East - but we have the pieces to make an exciting team. We've done well, imo. Scola is a good pickup, too.

That's all we are, a decent team. Look at the starting 5, Lowry had a career year, and wasn't nearly as good after the all-star break, DeRozan is a good shotmaker, but a taker of multiple bad shots a game, Ross has potential to be very good, but didn't do anywhere near enough. We don't have a good PF, though I think Valanciunas can have a really good year. Scola, Biyombo and Joseph are good pick ups, but they don't take us from a decent team to very good team
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 01:46:27 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:11 pm »
That's all we are, a decent team. Look at the starting 5, Lowry had a career year, and wasn't nearly as good after the all-star break, DeRozan is a good shotmaker, but a taker of multiple bad shots a game, Ross has potential to be very good, but didn't do anywhere near enough. We don't have a good PF, though I think Valanciunas can have a really good year. Scola, Biyombo and Joseph are good pick ups, but they don't take us from a decent team to very good team

DeRozan's inability to shoot the three is his biggest flaw. Him starting as a '2' next to Lowry, with Carroll & Patterson at the '3' & '4' respectively, is definitely a problem, simply because he can't consistently spot up somewhere beyond the arc. I think we'll play a small, two-guard lineup fairly regularly, with Carroll playing the '4' & DeMar at the '3.'

Yes, DeMar jacks multiple bad shots a game, though Casey deserves some of the blame, as he lets DeMar, Lowry and, formerly, Lou & Grievis, take awful shots, without reprimand, and not building an effective system. However, it really does seem Masai wants us playing with lots of ball movement, so hopefully the bad isolation shots will be reduced.

Also, we're going to be much better defensively, I think, with CoJo, Carroll, & Delon Wright coming in. Hopefully Lowry doesn't gamble as much this season (he was truly woeful in the postseason last year in this respect) and DeMar improves his defence this offseason.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 09:33:21 pm »
DeRozan's inability to shoot the three is his biggest flaw. Him starting as a '2' next to Lowry, with Carroll & Patterson at the '3' & '4' respectively, is definitely a problem, simply because he can't consistently spot up somewhere beyond the arc. I think we'll play a small, two-guard lineup fairly regularly, with Carroll playing the '4' & DeMar at the '3.'

Yes, DeMar jacks multiple bad shots a game, though Casey deserves some of the blame, as he lets DeMar, Lowry and, formerly, Lou & Grievis, take awful shots, without reprimand, and not building an effective system. However, it really does seem Masai wants us playing with lots of ball movement, so hopefully the bad isolation shots will be reduced.

Also, we're going to be much better defensively, I think, with CoJo, Carroll, & Delon Wright coming in. Hopefully Lowry doesn't gamble as much this season (he was truly woeful in the postseason last year in this respect) and DeMar improves his defence this offseason.

I like Patterson, he shot the 3 well last season, but he's a role player, he's nowhere near good enough to start games. As you said it's likely Carroll plays the 4 a good percentage of the time, which won't be a disaster, but there's no low post play, something we sorely lacked last season. Valanciunas doesn't get fed the ball often enough.

Defence has to be better and I think the moves help with that. Giving up an average of over 100 points per game is crap, only Orlando, New York, Boston and Philadelphia were worse in the East.

I think we're a solid team and will definitely make the play offs but I don't expect much beyond that. I think winning a series in the play offs would constitute success when you look at the talent level of the roster. We're a long way behind Chicago, Cleveland and Washington.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 10:17:38 pm »
As long as Rudy Gobert gets 1000 rebounds and 400 blocks, I don't care about nothin' else.

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 12:29:34 pm »
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--lakers-considering-signing-metta-world-peace-000124217.html

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eOzAfaqfDwU?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eOzAfaqfDwU?fs=1</a>

Offline Kopenhagen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 02:49:55 pm »
Kyrie out until January with a knee injury.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »
The NBA draft voting thread is up if anyone fancy's getting involved. :wave

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=323006.new#new

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 02:56:42 pm »
The NBA draft voting thread is up if anyone fancy's getting involved. :wave

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=323006.new#new

Quick bump, last hour of voting left. :)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2015, 03:47:15 pm »
Anthony Bennett To Sign With Raptors

Anthony Bennett is expected to sign with the Toronto Raptors early next week.
Bennett agreed to a $3.65 million buyout with the Minnesota Timberwolves and is expected to sign with the Raptors for $947,276.
Bennett grew up in the Toronto area and the Raptors have a need at power forward.

I think this is a low risk, moderate reward, assuming this is 1 year contract. He may very well play much better in his home city and even if he is efficient as role player, awesome for Raptors.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:49:52 pm by elsewhere »

Online child-in-time

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 09:43:59 am »
Cavaliers say guard Iman Shumpert recently suffered a ruptured Extensor Carpi Ulnaris sheath in his right wrist and is out 12-14 weeks.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 10:58:02 am »
Rose got an elbow in the face and will need surgery. It's possible he will be back for the opener.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2015, 10:26:38 am »
Off to New York for 4 nights with the missus just before Christmas so just booked tickets for the Knicks v Bulls game on 19th December.

Cannot fucking wait!!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2015, 10:30:45 am »
Off to New York for 4 nights with the missus just before Christmas so just booked tickets for the Knicks v Bulls game on 19th December.

Cannot fucking wait!!

Judging by the Knicks roster they'll probably be one of the worst teams in the league again this season. Still seeing Carmelo, Rose, Gasol et al in MSG will be an experience  :)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:39 am »
Judging by the Knicks roster they'll probably be one of the worst teams in the league again this season. Still seeing Carmelo, Rose, Gasol et al in MSG will be an experience  :)

Haha, yeah I know. Hopefully Carmelo and Rose will stay injury free.

Still a good game to get to see, the other home game on while we're there is Orlando which would have been a bit shite, although the tickets would have been about half the price :D

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2015, 10:39:02 am »
Saw a couple of pre season matches and if we are heading to where I think we're headed, then it's fucking awful. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Get this shit outta here. No post game presence at all. Yikes. And it's all on Bird.

"Hey GS won a league title with small ball, let's do it too"

Warriors made it possible cause they have a supremely talented player(who looks like 16 years old) and was the MVP. By the time we may get accustomed to the new style and we have the personnel, the trend will go back to the old time classic bigs.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 10:42:40 am »
Haha, yeah I know. Hopefully Carmelo and Rose will stay injury free.

Still a good game to get to see, the other home game on while we're there is Orlando which would have been a bit shite, although the tickets would have been about half the price :D

Orlando might be a decent team this season, but the Bulls are one of the best teams and seeing Rose etc will probably live longer in the memory. I'm not envious of you one bit...  ;D

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 06:25:43 pm »
No more Magic bashing!  UConn's own Shabazz Napier (not a stage name) is going to lift them up this season, you watch.  They're going to surprise people.

I envision the Bulls having another 'any year since 2008' season as well; decent regular season, limited roster, summary ejection from the playoffs......

But, l digress from why I came on here; the Boston Celtics will be one of the top four seeds in the East.  This year.  BOOM.

Excited for another season.  So very glad the C's aren't in the West; another year, another brutally competitive West.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Knicks' upcoming season. The roster actually looks like it's been deliberately stacked and built to suit, what seems will surely be, our style of play. Plenty of youngsters, or relatively young players with plenty to prove (Williams), some smart acquisitions in Afflalo and Lopez, and we've offloaded players with "temperamental" attitudes. And I especially like the look of Jerian Grant. I think he'll start making a name for himself before Prozingis (who has looked sharp in the preseason).

We look to be  a far more cohesive group than last year, and assuming we avoid a rash of injuries to key players, I'm holding out hope of us making the playoffs. It is the East after all!

Enjoy your visit to NY :wave
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2015, 08:14:49 pm »
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the Knicks' upcoming season. The roster actually looks like it's been deliberately stacked and built to suit, what seems will surely be, our style of play. Plenty of youngsters, or relatively young players with plenty to prove (Williams), some smart acquisitions in Afflalo and Lopez, and we've offloaded players with "temperamental" attitudes. And I especially like the look of Jerian Grant. I think he'll start making a name for himself before Prozingis (who has looked sharp in the preseason).

We look to be  a far more cohesive group than last year, and assuming we avoid a rash of injuries to key players, I'm holding out hope of us making the playoffs. It is the East after all!

Enjoy your visit to NY :wave

When I looked through the roster my first thought was there's a real lack of talent there. Perhaps not the worst team in the league, but still so far back from being a really competitive team in my opinion. The 2 big free agents the Knicks pursued didn't sign and though Afflalo and Lopez are good players, they should be moves a team look to make to compliment a team not be centre pieces of the team. The only way is up for the Knicks and I don't think you'll be as bad this season

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 09:22:09 pm »
When I looked through the roster my first thought was there's a real lack of talent there. Perhaps not the worst team in the league, but still so far back from being a really competitive team in my opinion. The 2 big free agents the Knicks pursued didn't sign and though Afflalo and Lopez are good players, they should be moves a team look to make to compliment a team not be centre pieces of the team. The only way is up for the Knicks and I don't think you'll be as bad this season

I see your point; in the context of last season, anything is a step up. But I think the change in mentality is far more marked than the change in quality of talent. We like our teams to be filled with workhorses and energy players that sacrifice their all for the team's benefit, and I think we've got taht sort of team this season. We'll probably go through some losing runs, then winning runs, beat a few teams top of the league and get our hopes up, and follow that with a loss at home against a team in the bottom three. But as long as we've got fighters on our team, we'll be okay.

I still stand by my point from my last post on this topic, Derek Fisher is a fraud that always seems to say the right stuff in front of the camera, but lacks in end quality. Always felt he was overrated as a player, was pessimistic when we brought him on board, and nothing since has changed. But hey, as long as Phil is backing him then there must be something there...right?
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »
I see your point; in the context of last season, anything is a step up. But I think the change in mentality is far more marked than the change in quality of talent. We like our teams to be filled with workhorses and energy players that sacrifice their all for the team's benefit, and I think we've got taht sort of team this season. We'll probably go through some losing runs, then winning runs, beat a few teams top of the league and get our hopes up, and follow that with a loss at home against a team in the bottom three. But as long as we've got fighters on our team, we'll be okay.

I still stand by my point from my last post on this topic, Derek Fisher is a fraud that always seems to say the right stuff in front of the camera, but lacks in end quality. Always felt he was overrated as a player, was pessimistic when we brought him on board, and nothing since has changed. But hey, as long as Phil is backing him then there must be something there...right?

As I say I expect you to be better, but I wouldn't have the knicks down as a play off team just yet. Though you've undoubtedly improved the squad I don't think you've overtaken any of the play off teams from last season.

Hard to say just how good Fisher is because the roster was a mess last season, the acid test will come when he's working with better players, which he obviously is this season. Jury is very much out on him and he'll need to show significant improvement to coach a coherent team

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2015, 10:38:55 am »
Another abject season for the Lakers to look forward to.

Buss comes out with 'we've turned the corner' to the press just to rub salt in the wounds, utterly clueless front office.

Said it in the old NBA thread way back when he signed that the Nash signing made no-sense and was quickly told on here "what have they got to lose?" by fellow RAWKites.

That was the latest in a long line of utterly bonkers decisions like that Kobe 'loyalty' contract, and Dwight Howard's tenure; utter joke moves by these knuckleheads in the front office since Sr. died. Normally a team goes through a dip, gets some drafts, clears cap space and gets on the up, Lakers appear to be nowhere near a recovery at the moment.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2015, 02:53:51 pm »
Another abject season for the Lakers to look forward to.

Buss comes out with 'we've turned the corner' to the press just to rub salt in the wounds, utterly clueless front office.

Said it in the old NBA thread way back when he signed that the Nash signing made no-sense and was quickly told on here "what have they got to lose?" by fellow RAWKites.

That was the latest in a long line of utterly bonkers decisions like that Kobe 'loyalty' contract, and Dwight Howard's tenure; utter joke moves by these knuckleheads in the front office since Sr. died. Normally a team goes through a dip, gets some drafts, clears cap space and gets on the up, Lakers appear to be nowhere near a recovery at the moment.

all spot on, and if you ever want more fun fare on the dysfunctional regime currently in place in La La Land, (being a Celtics fan it's pure joy for me) google Bill Simmons Jim Buss.  Simmons harpoons him a couple times in grand style.  Jim Buss and Jim Dolan have A LOT in common.  Mainly, lack of brain power.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 01:03:12 am »
Tristan Thompson 5yr/82 mil. Damn what a contract. Getting more per year than Steph Curry.

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 03:09:56 am »
Tristan Thompson 5yr/82 mil. Damn what a contract. Getting more per year than Steph Curry.

Very stupid of the Cavs, then again this summer I didn't see any decent player getting less than 10 million a year.

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 03:21:14 am »
While Cavs are overpaying massively, its not THAT bad a deal. Especially with the salarycap sky-rocketing in the next couple of years. These kind of deals will become the norm, really. Cavs couldn't afford another good big anyway as they are way over salary cap. And considering both Andy as well as Love are kind of injury-prone, they had to agree to TT's demands. They had done well till now but I guess with the season starting in few days, they thought enough is enough and finally caved in. This looks bad for TT though because majority of the Cavs fans are pissed with TT and if he doesn't perform as well as he did for Cavs during the play-offs, there will be plenty of criticism.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 04:26:51 am »
I see it as if Gilbert wants to blow his money, why not. I saw somewhere the Cavs might have to pay something like +$100 mil in luxury tax at least for this season. Insane amount. His regular season Per36 numbers really don't look great. I can't see him finishing this contract in Cleveland either. What happens with Mozgov's upcoming contract?

Offline Saint Kopite

• but Greavesie's in the Main Stand
  • Legacy Fan
  • “By what right does the wolf judge the lion?”
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 04:44:38 am »
I see it as if Gilbert wants to blow his money, why not. I saw somewhere the Cavs might have to pay something like +$100 mil in luxury tax at least for this season. Insane amount. His regular season Per36 numbers really don't look great. I can't see him finishing this contract in Cleveland either. What happens with Mozgov's upcoming contract?

Cavs are paying overall around $170 Million, which includes salaries + tax. Crazy thing is, its not even the most any team has paid. 2013-14 Brooklyn Nets overall payroll was around $197 Million.

Anyway, Gilbert seems happy to spend. And to be fair, he should. He has deep pockets and there won't be a better window for the Cavs to win a championship than the next three odd years with LeBron still in his prime. And, I expect them to wrap Mozgov up as soon as possible. He is arguably their fourth best and fourth most important player. Cavs were kinda meh till his trade. So, I don't expect them to hassle regarding Mozgov unless he asks for crazy money as well.
A Liverbird upon my chest, we are the men of Shankly's best. A team that plays the Liverpool way, and wins the championship in May.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2015, 09:05:14 am »
Annual reminder of the free NBA League Pass till the 5th of November. You'll catch any games you want till then. Reminder to cancel the subscription prior to that date cause they will charge you the full price otherwise.

Offline Doc Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2015, 10:45:13 am »
Jim Buss and Jim Dolan have A LOT in common. 

I disagree completely. Busswas part of an incredibly successful franchise with a fantastic structure in place (sportwise and businesswise). He was left with a fluently humming efficient machine that required a little fine tuning to keep up with the times. Instead, Busschose to tear apart all that his father built, and if the behind the scenes gossip is true, it was all about ego and his desire to place his "imprint" on the Lakers. Sadly the demise of the lakers reminds me of our demise after our last league title. Utter failure, and even though I hate the Lakers, it's pains me to see them the way they are. They always did things the right way, or at least, better than the rest of the league.

Dolan is on another planet. He means well, has no compulsion with spending cash on building the Knicks, sadly he has little concept on what it takes to build a winning franchise (or at least a competitive one). In his defence, we were never, ever, as successful as the Lakers, so he's building a blueprint and winging it along the way.

To be fair, Curry is underpaid, and only because he had some ankle issues during his first few years and chose to sign earlier on a smaller deal than take the risk. It's not Thompson's fault he's paid more. And is Thompson overpaid? Sure, but not as much as it seems today. His contract only looks so massive because relative to other contracts signed prior to the cap blowing up, his just looks massive. But I think a few years down the line he'll just be another slightly overpaid big fella. Still overpaid, but not massively. My only issue with the deal is LeBron's role in pressurising the Cavs in signing him (via his agent). But what the hey, it's not my cash, and I'm just glad that for once the Knicks haven't gone and overpaid on a Thompson type player!