Author Topic: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.  (Read 631903 times)

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
Re: Marvel Musings. Now with Spidey Spoilers.
« Reply #7720 on: February 2, 2023, 09:50:08 pm »
Phase 4 gets a bad rap, there’s quite a lot to like, in my honest opinion. All the films have enjoyable sections, some are overall good whilst some are middling to okay, which is actually the case for quite a few marvel films with very few being genuinely great.

I quite enjoyed most of the tv shows, they each had their own charms and styles but admittedly they tended to have some flaws too, which is to be expected from a new venture.

Overall, the phase suffers from a number of issues, some avoidable and some unavoidable. The idea of phases itself is potentially part of the problem.

Going into phase 4, we’d reach the end of a saga which made it seem like a fresh start except it was anything but. Whilst the first movies of the MCU had some of the biggest names in Marvel comics behind them with Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor, phase 4 could not tap into most these for various reasons with the characters either gone, subject to licensing issues or only shortly off the back of their previous movie. Many of the big hitters were basically gone from the universe, leaving the audience with a roster that they were less familiar with and less excited about to begin with.

Phase 1 also had a free rein over the world, starting out in a universe that was essentially are own, well known to the audience and yet to be impacted by in universe events. Phase 4 on the other hand is riddled with world changing events that not only make it a vastly different universe, but one that would have psychologically altered its inhabitants beyond recognition to the extent that each movie following would likely have to deal with these repercussions in order to truly intertwine with past movies as we’ve come to expect. This was my issue following end game and I believe it came to pass that it was too big of a hurdle to get over fully to allow the movies that came after to be appreciated. Rather than watching the movies and enjoying the interconnectivity as it arose, the interconnectivity became a large part of the focus. Just how was each film going to follow on from endgame and pick up so many pieces. I think if you had instead placed some of these movies within phase 1, they would be have greeted far more affectionately.

The other elephant in the room of the phase was what was to come. Whilst many of the A list superheroes were gone, everybody knew that a new group were on their way. Disney’s acquisition of Fox left MCU followers with another big question for this post Infinity Saga era, not only were we waiting to see how they built a world back up from the ashes, we now wanted to see how they’d introduce the X-men, a story the typically starts long before the start of the setting of the first Iron Man, and yet apart from a post credit scene there had been no mention of them. How would they explain that? Not to mention the Fantastic Four.

These big questions are what I believe has been dealt with poorly with the decision seemingly being to mainly ignore them whilst apart from the odd vague reference. They’d never had to deal with these issues prior to this with any situations being largely localised and therefore easily weaved in where necessary, and the slate of characters for the infinity saga was under their control from the start, for the most part, or they were individuals who could easily be added a later date without the seismic implications of a group as vast as the mutant population. The fact they hadn’t dealt with the showed.

Infinity War was the pinnacle of the saga and in my opinion after wrapping up endgame the best decision would have been to start again from scratch. Have a second MCU launched without the legacy issues of the first with the X-Men in the script from the start allowing them to exist alongside Iron Man, Captain America and Johnny Storm rather than after them. It could even have been another universe in a multiverse with a crossover done at some later point.

We are where we are though, committed to this universe. Instead of a fresh start, we have doubled down on the complexity with endgame glossed over and left to truly be dealt with, mutants yet to be introduced in earnest, but a multiverse established, new lore added with Eternals, a fourth wall breaking that undermines everything, Kang lurking in the background and a whole host of new characters dotted across the universe heading on different paths (I don’t mind the different paths to be honest, but it does make everything seem less essential but not enough to allow people to pick what to dip in and out of).

What comics do best is allow volume and variety. There’s enough to give people options whether they be diehards or casual readers. There’s an overall interconnected universe when there needs to be and side stories that can be explored separately, even if the side story comes with some crossover it’s not essential to know the full backstories of the characters in that particular stream, as long as you know the gist of what the character stands for.

I do not believe the phase 4 content is itself terrible and if any of them were part of another phase I don’t think people would see it as a dud amongst a series of gems. The problem is we are judging more than the individual movies because that’s what they want us to engage with, which is another aspect that has changed over time.

Looking ahead toward phase 5, I don’t see how any of these issues get resolved. So for the time-being I’m going to do what I’ve done for the past few parts of phase 4 and just enjoy the films for the blockbusters they are, without delving into the Easter eggs or the clues about what might lay ahead. Ive stopped watching breakdowns, discussions, panels and trailers allowing myself to simply consume the primary output.

Doing that allowed me to just sit back and enjoy the horror inspired, universe bending antics of Doctor Strange, the self-aware humour of Thor 4 with its fascinating fight scene on the mini moon, the immense cultural exploration of Wakanda Forever, the vibrant and modern Ms Marvel and the general silliness of She-Hulk.

Who knows, maybe they’ll pull after a master stroke and tie it all together, but I can’t see it, so instead I look forward to something akin to a reset whether that happens within the story or not. Whilst the MCU remains in its current form, I think it’s safe to say we’ll never hit the heights of world building that we saw during the first 3 phases.

And worst comes to the worst, at least the DCEU looks like it’s getting a proper reboot with a structure behind that should stand it in good stead.
« Last Edit: February 2, 2023, 09:58:25 pm by mikey_LFC »
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #7721 on: February 3, 2023, 05:41:12 am »
i think you make fair points and while i see phase 4 as garbage and you see it as middling or better (taste is personal and all that), i think you make a fundamental assumption that isn't how i - or many, i imagine - view the shows. And it's pretty critical to your overall assessment, to quote

I do not believe the phase 4 content is itself terrible and if any of them were part of another phase I don’t think people would see it as a dud amongst a series of gems. The problem is we are judging more than the individual movies because that’s what they want us to engage with, which is another aspect that has changed over time.

I judge any show/movie, whatever the phase, on its own merits in isolation of anything - i liked it or i didn't (after the fact, sure, you can go into how it fits or doesn't fit but the spectacle stands on its merits before anything else). Which can lead to views such as 'i loved that but how the hell does that fit in' etc. I'm not gonna list all the tv shows but put any of them into any phase and they're absolute trash imo, with possibly one being ok and that's fucking hawkeye of all shows  ;D. And that's simply because it had a decent script and coherent story and decent cast - and Hawkeye is very low level superhero for me, never been into him, but it was the only show with half decent writing.

as regards viewing, i agree with you it's best to go in cold, something i normally do and avoid trailers etc usually (tho i have seen the new antman trailers)

also, something i think actually highlights the difference in quality between the previous phases and 4:

'Whilst the first movies of the MCU had some of the biggest names in Marvel comics behind them with Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America and Thor, phase 4 could not tap into most these for various reasons with the characters either gone'

Iron Man and Captain America were B listers at best before MCU catapulted them into major popularity. The fact they've become so big in the superhero universe is a huge compliment to how well Marvel did with those characters and their vision at the start. Hulk's been an A lister forever but even Thor was never that big, tho i'd say known. If you went back to post world war 2 (you know, the real one), Cap was maybe up there and tho visually known (like Iron Man, tho he was never major) not cared about for decades and more.

And that accentuates the point for me - originally Marvel didn't take the biggest superheros to kick it all off, they mainly took middling to lower level characters and made them hugely popular by the quality of their movies. The problem with the replacement characters coming in is that they've been written very poorly (character and story wise) and they're all obscure (maybe She-Hulk was known a little outside of comic buffs), so without that quality writing they'll suffer even more, as they have.

Just as a bit of fun, from this list, how many would non comic readers have even known before the MCU, let alone have some idea of their character?:-

Spider-man - everyone knows, most popular (tho didn't appear until phase 3)
Hulk - well known
Cap - maybe know his look and little else
Iron Man - ditto
Thor - know his look and little about him beyond as someone from norse mythology
Nick Fury - no clue
Antman - no clue
Guardians of the Galaxy characters - no clue
Dr Strange - maybe know his image, little clue otherwise
Black Panther - no clue
Captain Marvel - no clue (as an aside, i think im the only person on the planet that likes that movie  ;D)
Black Widow - no clue (tho the name would ring a bell, for obvious reasons)
Hawkeye - no clue
Wanda - no clue
Vision - no clue

so no, i wouldn't say that the first movies had some of the biggest names in Marvel comics - i venture they had 2, the hulk and only when it was already massive did spider-man come in. (and we've not even touched on the bad guys, they'd be known even less if possible, unlike DC with joker etc)

there were plenty of more major players they could have dipped into as you rightly point out, with X-men and Fantastic Four to name but two (tho many, kind of)

they relied on good writing/story/actors to build the MCU, some were duds sure but the whole was great and the majority of movies were good or at least decent. Phase 4 has more hours of content than the first 3 phases combined and is atrocious, and even moreso if you view it by comparison.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 06:19:21 am by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #7722 on: February 3, 2023, 06:34:23 am »
I don't think Iron Man and Captain America and Thor were any higher than C-tier comic book heroes before the MCU started to be fair.

It was all about Spider-Man and the X-Men
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7723 on: February 3, 2023, 09:25:31 am »
Iron Man and Captain America B listers, or even C listers, really? I really don’t see how that’s the case.

I’d agree Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk and Fantastic Four are all A listers, obviously but not far behind are Iron Man and Captain America. Whilst I agree many of the characters from the first 3 phases would have been unknown, but nobody was saying that Iron Man and Captain America were random people to start the universe with. They were the biggest characters on the Marvel roster at the time, bearing in mind that they’d sold the rights to the other big hitters, including Hulk but managed to negotiate a partnership. Iron Man for example was the only other character to have a 90s tv show and Thor was a guest on the Fantastic Four show too.

Not only are they some of the bigger names in Marvel, they also have a connecting tie with the Avengers. In comparison to Shang-Chi, the Eternals and Moon Knight are barely known characters with no connection. It’s just a lot to deal with these characters as well as the background of the MCU, whilst knowing the A listers are still waiting in the wings to be added.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #7724 on: February 3, 2023, 10:59:18 am »
Phase 1 also had a free rein over the world, starting out in a universe that was essentially are own, well known to the audience and yet to be impacted by in universe events. Phase 4 on the other hand is riddled with world changing events that not only make it a vastly different universe, but one that would have psychologically altered its inhabitants beyond recognition to the extent that each movie following would likely have to deal with these repercussions in order to truly intertwine with past movies as we’ve come to expect. This was my issue following end game and I believe it came to pass that it was too big of a hurdle to get over fully to allow the movies that came after to be appreciated. Rather than watching the movies and enjoying the interconnectivity as it arose, the interconnectivity became a large part of the focus. Just how was each film going to follow on from endgame and pick up so many pieces. I think if you had instead placed some of these movies within phase 1, they would be have greeted far more affectionately.

On that point, I still can't get my head round why the made the Blip period so long.

5 years is a hugely long period of time, and would create such massive problems in the real world

Sure, it gave some short-term shock-value and scope for a little bit of comedy moments. But it creates such a massive headache going forwards, as viewers now pick apart how, with only a few exceptions (designed to suit MCU writers), how the impacts of the Blip are largely glossed-over with just some brief reference (which comes across as a tick-box exercise to say "see, we've remembered to make reference to the Blip")

Would keeping it to 6 months or a year really have taken anything from the End Game story?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7725 on: February 3, 2023, 11:06:05 am »
As for the wider questions, The Eternals is a monumental mistake IMO.

It's not like it's a great film, but as a stand-alone I guess it could have been justified. To claim it part of the MCU is nuts. Not least having to have the enormous, half-emerged Celestial sticking out of the sea from now on. And Harry Styles being Thanos' brother, but also an Eternal? Oh do fuck off.

All I see now id the MCU writers making up ludicrous literary contortions to try to retro-fit additional lore into existing storylines.

It's one of the reasons I could never get into comics. They'd kill off a character then resurrect them. Retro-introduce new timelines to rewrite what you assumed was cannon. Reboot other characters. Nah. Doesn't work for me.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7726 on: February 3, 2023, 12:41:04 pm »

On that point, I still can't get my head round why the made the Blip period so long.

5 years is a hugely long period of time, and would create such massive problems in the real world

Sure, it gave some short-term shock-value and scope for a little bit of comedy moments. But it creates such a massive headache going forwards, as viewers now pick apart how, with only a few exceptions (designed to suit MCU writers), how the impacts of the Blip are largely glossed-over with just some brief reference (which comes across as a tick-box exercise to say "see, we've remembered to make reference to the Blip")

Would keeping it to 6 months or a year really have taken anything from the End Game story?

I know it reduces the stakes in a way, but the best thing would have been for endgame to undo the blip completely. We’d still have that moment but we could carry on building off of the world we knew. There would still have been the psychological issues for those who remembered the five or so years but they could have been kept to a select handful of avengers, which would have made for a clear and manageable storyline to follow on from.

As for the wider questions, The Eternals is a monumental mistake IMO.

It's not like it's a great film, but as a stand-alone I guess it could have been justified. To claim it part of the MCU is nuts. Not least having to have the enormous, half-emerged Celestial sticking out of the sea from now on. And Harry Styles being Thanos' brother, but also an Eternal? Oh do fuck off.

All I see now id the MCU writers making up ludicrous literary contortions to try to retro-fit additional lore into existing storylines.

It's one of the reasons I could never get into comics. They'd kill off a character then resurrect them. Retro-introduce new timelines to rewrite what you assumed was cannon. Reboot other characters. Nah. Doesn't work for me.

I completely agree. This sort of thing needs to be written in from the start even if not shown directly or not at all. If they want to do it then the best option is a reboot or a separate series connected to the MCU but offworld or at least not impacting the day to day lives of people.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 12:42:44 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7727 on: February 6, 2023, 03:15:08 pm »
Wakanda was very average.  How on earth did a high school kid manage to build a prototype Iron Man suit with built in jets and lasers?  Stark had a billion dollar company behind him and years of experimenting/designing.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #7728 on: February 6, 2023, 03:17:57 pm »
I thought the design was terrible too (I know she’s only a kid, but it’s established she’s some sort of genius). It looked like a Beetleborg!
AHA!

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7729 on: February 6, 2023, 04:04:55 pm »
I think Phase 4's major issue is just too much across too little time.  Almost all the films are as good as anything in Phase 1 (excepting Avengers Assembler itself) - Thor 4, whilst a let down from 3, was way better than 1; only Eternals is not better than Iron Man 2 and Hulk  (personally, they are 2 of the worst 4 MCU films full stop, along with Eternals, Iron Man 3 and Thor 2); Spiderman NWH was really fucking good (best live action SM for my money); Shang Chi is brilliant; Dr Strange pretty good.  Wakanda Forever is a solid 6.5/10 film, ditto Black Widow.  Having those 7 films come out in a 18 month window due to Covid definitely didn't help.

Then there is the accompanying tv shows which add more ballast - Loki/Ms Marvel/Wandavision were all just brilliant for my money, and She Hulk was pretty good; but then you had the mediocre Moon Knight; and the rest are a bit above average if that (Falcon, and Hawkeye).

Phase 1, on the other hand, came out across a total of four years, which gave audiences more time between them.  Even then, nothing is better than a 7/10 for me pre-Avengers itself (for my ranking - Captain America 1 + Thor 1 = 7/10; Iron Man 1 - 6.5/10; Iron Man 2 3/10; Hulk 4/10).  But because it was the start of something new, and we didn't have the expectation, it was fresh. 

Even Phase 2, with 6 films across almost 30 months had it's issues - 3 great films (Winter Soldier, GOTG and Ant Man), 1 average film (Avengers 2), and 2 actively AWFUL films (Thor 2, Iron Man 3) - but didn't have umpteen other tv series on Disney+ that you felt you had to check out because they tied in in X/Y way.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7730 on: February 6, 2023, 04:12:01 pm »
I'd put Iron Man 1 in my top 3 MCU films   :-\

And Moon Knight was superb.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7731 on: February 6, 2023, 04:30:30 pm »
I'd honestly rather watch Thor 2 instead of whatever the fuck that latest mess was.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #7732 on: February 6, 2023, 05:13:00 pm »
Wakanda was very average.  How on earth did a high school kid manage to build a prototype Iron Man suit with built in jets and lasers?  Stark had a billion dollar company behind him and years of experimenting/designing.
I didn’t particularly care for Wakanda Forever, but that suit was fine. She was established wary as a prodigy, at MIT, doing other students robotic homework, and the inventor of the worlds only vibranium detector, made partly with junk.

The bulkiness I can subscribe to her not having Stark money, like the original suit built in a cave. There is probably a load of news footage of the iron man suits, and I could see a genius reverse engineering it in her head.

I had much bigger issues with the fish people origin, that was terrible.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7733 on: February 6, 2023, 05:15:11 pm »
I had much bigger issues with the fish people origin, that was terrible.

That was an odd one, maybe they couldn't work something decent out that didn't involve Atlantis.  Weird casting as well, though I thought the actor played it pretty well (it's a cool part), he was way too chunky.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7734 on: February 7, 2023, 04:28:49 pm »
I'd put Iron Man 1 in my top 3 MCU films   :-\

And Moon Knight was superb.

My top 4 (in no particular order) would be GOTG, Avengers 4, Winter Soldier, Thor 3 and Black Panther.  The next tier would include Ant Man, Civil War, Avengers 1, Spiderman NWH, Shang Chi, and probably Dr Strange.  The next tier would include (and a lot of these would be very close to Tier 2) Ant Man 2, Avengers 3, Spiderman Homecoming & Far From Home, Captain Marvel, Thor 4 and maybe Iron Man (for nostalgia reasons only - the film itself is not as funny or as good as the other 5 in this tier IMO).  The last "not garbage" Tier would then be Thor 1, Dr Strange 2, Wakanda Forever, GOTG 2 and Cap 1.

If it didn't come out 1st of the MCU (ignoring Hulk for now), then it probably would fall out of tier 3 for me and into tier 4 - I don't think it holds together as a film as well as something like Shang Chi or Captain Marvel for instance, which are very much in tier 3 for me.

Moon Knight I got completely bored with half way through and didn't even finish.  I even finished the Eternals.  For me, the tv show (sticking specifically to MCU, so Daredevil etc don't count) rankings go:  1 - Loki; 2 - Ms Marvel; 3 - Wandavision; 4 - She Hulk; 5 - Hawkeye; 6 - Falcon and Winter Soldier; and 7 - Moon Knight (to be honest, it is a BETTER show than Falcon 100%, but as I enjoyed and carried on watching Falcon and Hawkeye to the end, but couldn't for Moon Knight, then I couldn't rank it higher).

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7735 on: February 7, 2023, 07:20:52 pm »
Iron Man is one my favourite MCU films, I find it very rewatchable. Iron Man 2 has my favourite opening, the whole Shoot to Thrill sequence is just cool as fuck.

I think Infinity War is the best film by a mile though.

I actually think the criticism of Wakanda Forever is very harsh and I think it’ll be looked back on fondly. It’s my second favourite of the latest phase behind No Way Home, and there’s a lot of it that I prefer over the original.

I can see why you’d rank Moon knight low if you haven’t seen the last few episodes. I would urge you to go back and finish it, as the last few episodes are not like the rest.

A highlight of phase 4 for me was also Werewolf by Night.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2023, 07:23:34 pm by mikey_LFC »

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7736 on: February 7, 2023, 07:26:47 pm »
Infinity War and Winter Soldier probably the best 2 films IMO, a few other very good ones in there though. Shang Chi is brilliant too

Wandavision by far the best out of the shows excluding Daredevil & Punisher. Finally finished Loki today but only because I heard who is in it, got bored prt way through it and it kind just began dragging. Watched Love and Thunder and it just felt too forced, even the humour was cringey

Looking forward to Antman and think that will be the start of the films being at the top level again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7737 on: February 7, 2023, 08:10:48 pm »
Infinity War and Winter Soldier probably the best 2 films IMO, a few other very good ones in there though. Shang Chi is brilliant too

Wandavision by far the best out of the shows excluding Daredevil & Punisher. Finally finished Loki today but only because I heard who is in it, got bored prt way through it and it kind just began dragging. Watched Love and Thunder and it just felt too forced, even the humour was cringey

Looking forward to Antman and think that will be the start of the films being at the top level again.

Yeah Infinity War and Winter Soldier are definitely the best two films and very much re watchable. Think Iron Man 1 and Ragnorak come next although a level or two below Winter Soldier and Infinity War.

I actually think Civil War was a bit underrated, think it was much better than Endgame.

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7738 on: February 7, 2023, 08:52:03 pm »
I actually think Winter Soldier is overrated. It’s good but not at the top of my MCU list but maybe top 10. Cap is just quite a dull character in comparison to some of the others. I was never one to go mad for Bourne films either though.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2023, 08:56:22 pm by mikey_LFC »

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7739 on: February 7, 2023, 09:28:26 pm »
I thought Wakanda was a mess. Well intentioned, but just not well executed.

I think they can put this particular franchise on the back burner for a while until they come up with a better plan. Which is a shame to be honest.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7740 on: February 7, 2023, 10:25:18 pm »
Yeah Infinity War and Winter Soldier are definitely the best two films and very much re watchable. Think Iron Man 1 and Ragnorak come next although a level or two below Winter Soldier and Infinity War.

I actually think Civil War was a bit underrated, think it was much better than Endgame.

I think it gets harder as you go down from those 2, Iron Man one is good but I think it gets a lot of extra points because it was the start of things. Ragnarok is incredible and achieves exactly what Love and Thunder tried and failed to do, Civil War is great, very much underrated and doesn't get mentioned enough. I think Dr. Strange is a great great film and great replay value. Gotta have Guardians of the Galaxy in their too, great films and brilliant display of how elite their casting for characters is

I'm excited to see what they do with Kang and how they pull off Secret Wars and Kang Dynasty. There are some characters that have so much potential that have just not been utilised (much like that awful initial Deadpool in the Wolverine film). Doctor Doom and Silver Surfer are 2 characters it should be impossible to get wrong as they're just cool as fuck

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7741 on: February 7, 2023, 10:58:14 pm »
I think it gets harder as you go down from those 2, Iron Man one is good but I think it gets a lot of extra points because it was the start of things. Ragnarok is incredible and achieves exactly what Love and Thunder tried and failed to do, Civil War is great, very much underrated and doesn't get mentioned enough. I think Dr. Strange is a great great film and great replay value. Gotta have Guardians of the Galaxy in their too, great films and brilliant display of how elite their casting for characters is

I'm excited to see what they do with Kang and how they pull off Secret Wars and Kang Dynasty. There are some characters that have so much potential that have just not been utilised (much like that awful initial Deadpool in the Wolverine film). Doctor Doom and Silver Surfer are 2 characters it should be impossible to get wrong as they're just cool as fuck

Ah yes forgot about Guardians. Think it sits alongside Winter Soldier and Infinity War.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7742 on: February 7, 2023, 11:18:37 pm »
Premier of Ant Man and The Wasp Quantumania tonight so be wary of spoilers popping up.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7743 on: February 9, 2023, 08:45:01 am »
Ah yes forgot about Guardians. Think it sits alongside Winter Soldier and Infinity War.

Brilliant films, very well made. My only real gripe with them is the downplaying of Drax

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7744 on: February 9, 2023, 09:26:28 am »
Booked in for Ant-Man 3 on release day, initial reactions sound promising especially in regards to Kang.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7745 on: February 9, 2023, 03:53:16 pm »

Guardians pretty much defined this era as what I like. How they matched the sound track with the film was spot on. Thor Ragnarok was similar, since then it's been pretty average.

The other moment was the original Avengers Assemble in Avengers!

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7746 on: February 9, 2023, 03:59:31 pm »
Brilliant films, very well made. My only real gripe with them is the downplaying of Drax

Whilst yes it's not like the comics I think his character in the films matched the chemistry of the guardians.. As a group they worked so well, including all the other characters like Yondu.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7747 on: February 9, 2023, 08:41:36 pm »
I have Groot, Rocket and Yondu tattoos,  it's fair to say they are my favourites Marvel movies.

I did just get a Jeff Goldblum Grandmaster one on Sunday though beside my Loki, so Ragnarock is catching up quickly.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #7748 on: February 9, 2023, 11:45:59 pm »

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7749 on: February 10, 2023, 08:42:15 am »
I have Groot, Rocket and Yondu tattoos,  it's fair to say they are my favourites Marvel movies.

I did just get a Jeff Goldblum Grandmaster one on Sunday though beside my Loki, so Ragnarock is catching up quickly.

Nice, Yondu is one of my favourite characters in the films, played so well. His ending was tear jerking.

Mother fucking Mary Poppins!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7750 on: February 13, 2023, 09:54:31 am »
Baby, teen, or adult Groot?

Baby Groot in his red suit.

So, what trailers dropped during the Super Bowl then?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #7751 on: February 13, 2023, 10:06:32 am »
Guardians 3 looks like it's going to be a very tough watch in parts.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7752 on: February 13, 2023, 10:54:24 am »
So, what trailers dropped during the Super Bowl then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqcncLPi9zw

Goose bumps! Another boss sound track..

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7753 on: February 13, 2023, 11:21:28 am »
Guardians 3 looks like it's going to be a very tough watch in parts.

I'm preparing for it.

Rocket is one of my favouritest MCU characters and I have a suspicion he's for the chop.

(I think 4 characters stand out above all the others for me. They've already killed off Tony Stark and Black Widow, and turned Wanda into a deranged psychopath. If Rocket gets killed off, then that's all four dead or turned)

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #7754 on: February 13, 2023, 11:43:48 am »
I found this and the Flash trailer all very under whelming

I think just like Star wars Im starting to feel superhero fatigue

Saying that of course I will still watch them.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7755 on: February 15, 2023, 11:55:50 am »
Seeing mixed reviews to Ant-Man 3, seems Majors is getting all the praise though.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #7756 on: February 16, 2023, 05:54:50 am »
51% on Tomatoes. Really wasn't expecting Eternals, Love and Thunder levels of bad.

Online AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7757 on: February 16, 2023, 09:58:01 am »
51% on Tomatoes. Really wasn't expecting Eternals, Love and Thunder levels of bad.

Ouch, not good at all. A bit gutted I bought tickets for tomorrow now as sounds like it is a 'wait for it to land on Disney+' MCU movie.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #7758 on: February 16, 2023, 11:40:29 am »
They're gonna have to consider breaking the emergency Ironman/Captain America button if they keep making shit movies.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7759 on: February 16, 2023, 11:47:16 am »
Ouch, not good at all. A bit gutted I bought tickets for tomorrow now as sounds like it is a 'wait for it to land on Disney+' MCU movie.

This was posted on the previous page:

they've been reporting on re-shoots as late as last week for antman (some say they've been doing them for weeks) - and being this late on aren't the normal 'booked in' reshoots of marvel films

apparently the original cut screened really well, with those privy to it saying it's the best marvel film for years

that wont be what we get to see, interference from above is the industry 'inside' take on the reason for the reshoots in that it was too sombre and lacking that marvel 'humour' - fuck me, fuck me, fuck me, if that is the case - and those at the top wanted reshoots to give it more light relief and fit into the marvel mode

the latest trailer is really sombre, there's not a lighthearted moment in it, which in itself is unusual (and fucking welcome imo), which kinda back up the inside take on the sombre nature of the movie

it's still meant to be good but not as good as the original cut