Author Topic: New laptop advice  (Read 169671 times)

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New laptop advice
« Reply #1000 on: October 26, 2022, 12:51:33 pm »
She can learn how to code on a surface. She can use hundreds of free apps/software to draw, sketch and practice writing, things which you have to pay for in an ipad.

Don't just look at purchase cost of the hardware. Ipad apps cost a bit, very few are free.

On windows, you don't need to spend a penny apart from MS office suite.

Hmm, that's not true, though, is it? There's plenty of free apps and you get the numbers/pages/presentation whatsit for free. GarageBand, iMovie. Adobe Fresco is free and really good with the pencil. You can code on github codespaces and make it nice and portable. They are very far from crap.

If you're worried about paying for games then an Apple Arcade sub is £5/mo and I think on new purchases you get so long for free.

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1001 on: October 26, 2022, 01:45:14 pm »
She can learn how to code on a surface. She can use hundreds of free apps/software to draw, sketch and practice writing, things which you have to pay for in an ipad.

Don't just look at purchase cost of the hardware. Ipad apps cost a bit, very few are free.

On windows, you don't need to spend a penny apart from MS office suite.

Don’t even need to buy ms office as you can use open office for free. Although the o365 family plans are often on offer for around £50 for the year which is for 6 users and 6tb of cloud data storage which is a good deal IMO.

There’s loads of free apple apps, just like there are loads of free windows apps, just like there are loads of paid apps on each OS.

In reality the purchase cost of the hardware is the main outlay.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #1002 on: October 27, 2022, 08:58:41 am »
Hmm, that's not true, though, is it? There's plenty of free apps and you get the numbers/pages/presentation whatsit for free. GarageBand, iMovie. Adobe Fresco is free and really good with the pencil. You can code on github codespaces and make it nice and portable. They are very far from crap.

If you're worried about paying for games then an Apple Arcade sub is £5/mo and I think on new purchases you get so long for free.

Fair enough.

You can do all of that on an Android tablet too though, with better file management, better customization and cheaper apps.
Don’t even need to buy ms office as you can use open office for free. Although the o365 family plans are often on offer for around £50 for the year which is for 6 users and 6tb of cloud data storage which is a good deal IMO.

There’s loads of free apple apps, just like there are loads of free windows apps, just like there are loads of paid apps on each OS.

In reality the purchase cost of the hardware is the main outlay.

Yes, but in my experience all the good apps are paid on ios. Windows has tons of legacy software with a zillion options.

Phuk yoo

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1003 on: October 27, 2022, 01:49:22 pm »
Ahh tables. Are we back in 2012?

A proper computer is the only sensible option at that age they will be using real computer in school so why bother with a relic from the past?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #1004 on: October 31, 2022, 05:06:13 pm »
So I have decided there is no point in spunking 2000 quid on an Alienware.

MSI it is for me. Much better value.
Phuk yoo

Offline Crimson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1005 on: November 1, 2022, 12:21:50 pm »
My neighbour spilled beer on his laptop. Ruined.

Thinking of getting him a Chromebook. He'll only be surfing and paying his bills anyway.

Any recommendations?
I have no idea what I’m taking about

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #1006 on: November 1, 2022, 02:02:03 pm »
My neighbour spilled beer on his laptop. Ruined.

Thinking of getting him a Chromebook. He'll only be surfing and paying his bills anyway.

Any recommendations?
Anything will work for such light tasks. You can get something like this;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Chromebook-314-CB314-H-Celeron/dp/B082R8SVJZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?crid=22CI7YUMYV7R3&keywords=chromebook&qid=1667311281&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI2Ljg3IiwicXNhIjoiNi4zNCIsInFzcCI6IjUuNzkifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=chrom%2Caps%2C308&sr=8-8

Has good reviews.
Phuk yoo

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1007 on: November 1, 2022, 03:03:39 pm »
So I have decided there is no point in spunking 2000 quid on an Alienware.

MSI it is for me. Much better value.

Alienware is just way too overpriced. Been that way for years
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #1008 on: November 2, 2022, 07:08:55 am »
Alienware is just way too overpriced. Been that way for years

They look so damn cool though.

But cannot justify the cost to my wife.  :P
Phuk yoo

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1009 on: November 2, 2022, 08:18:16 am »
They look so damn cool though.

That's how they get you  ;D
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Aldo1988

• Legacy Fan
  • Superduperfan & Whopper. Ooh sexist.
« Reply #1010 on: December 24, 2022, 09:39:57 pm »
Here's a bit of advice, don't ever buy a laptop from Currys online.  Absolute nightmare to deal with when you want to try to return it, can't even take it in-store to return it!
"Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?"

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #1011 on: December 25, 2022, 03:05:20 pm »
Oh another poor soul dealing with Currys customer 'service'. Not going to hate on the poor sods manning the phones but the system is a shambles.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #1012 on: December 25, 2022, 03:39:43 pm »
Here's a bit of advice - don't buy ANYTHING, EVER from Curry's - they blatantly disregards consumer protection and fob customers off to manufacturers' support mechanisms when law says responsibility for support lies with the retailer. They've been doing this for decades too......

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1013 on: February 5, 2023, 09:25:35 pm »
Here's a bit of advice - don't buy ANYTHING, EVER from Curry's - they blatantly disregards consumer protection and fob customers off to manufacturers' support mechanisms when law says responsibility for support lies with the retailer. They've been doing this for decades too......

Is right! Mentioned something similar in the Televisions thread earlier.
 ;D
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1014 on: February 5, 2023, 10:16:31 pm »
Missus needed at new laptop, her curent one is like Triggers broom, I've replaced the keyboard about two years ago and its on its way again and the battery will no doubt need changing soon. Anyway, this was on offer for £250 so I snapped it up:-

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=6P0V1EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

Windows 11 Home in S mode
AMD Ryzen™ 3 5300U
4 GB RAM
256 GB SSD
35.6 cm (14 "), FHD (1920 x 1080), 250 nits, 45% NTSC
AMD Radeon™ Graphics

Manged to force it into local user mode rather than having to take out a Microsoft account during installation and also disabled S mode so that I could install LibreOffice. I also modified the register to get the copy/paste options back in the right click menu as per Windows 10. Its a nice small and lightweight machine with a good spec, the only thing it doesn't seem to have is an IPS panel but its still a decent display with it being FHD and is surprisingly nice and bright. Also battey life seems very good for a Windows machine too. Opps, just noticed that this is now £430, so yeah happy with the deal.
 ;D

Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #1015 on: February 6, 2023, 10:14:01 am »

Manged to force it into local user mode rather than having to take out a Microsoft account during installation and also disabled S mode so that I could install LibreOffice. I also modified the register to get the copy/paste options back in the right click menu as per Windows 10.

These sound insane, especially the last one. I don't have any 11 machines and we keep delaying adopting it at work, so not had to deal with any of this. What have they done to copy/paste now? Don't most people use the mouse rather than keyboard shortcuts?

Christ, I'm going to end up as a Linux user aren't I?
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1016 on: February 6, 2023, 10:22:30 am »
Missus needed at new laptop, her curent one is like Triggers broom,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1017 on: February 6, 2023, 12:14:20 pm »
These sound insane, especially the last one. I don't have any 11 machines and we keep delaying adopting it at work, so not had to deal with any of this. What have they done to copy/paste now? Don't most people use the mouse rather than keyboard shortcuts?

They've replaced the words Cut/Copy/Paste in the right click menu with icons (like the scissors for Cut etc). A shit move IMO. They've also hidden a lot of the standard Right Click Options so you have to click Show More" to see them.

It's dumbing down the OS for idiots.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1019 on: February 6, 2023, 08:33:15 pm »

I forgot to mention that they have also moved the 'start' button to the middle, but you can quite easily move it back. Also the alphabetically ordered programs and folders have been removed from the start menu as have the tiles and been replaced with 'suggestions' instead as they felt nobody used them.
 ::)

User forums seem to indicate that these changes are universally unpopular and I don't know why Microsoft have this obsession with trying to make the user interface look like a funky Mac/Chromebook or tablet. To me it just looks like it is being programmed by children. It is supposed to be an operating system for businesses, so just accept that and stop pissing off your users by removing or changing functionality that users are familiar with for no good reason. Its one of the reasons why my company only migrated to Win 10 in about 2019 as they had to run loads of compatibility tests. We went straight from XP to Win 10 missing out versions such as the disastrous Windows 8 which never had a start button and they had to hastily rush out 8.1 with the button re-introduced!
 ;D

On that subject, I spent a good few days trying to make this Windows 11 machine look exactly like a Win 10 PC where possible. If it was dramatically different to win 10 no doubt my missus' head would explode. Anyway all seemed to be going well until she wanted to turn it off and it appeared that the power down button had been removed from the start menu! Well it hadn't, they've just moved it to the bottom RIGHT of the stupid new 'suggestions' start menu - Chromebook style. So drama avoided!

She uses yahoo and there has been an issue with the default MS Mail app in that some emails have corrupted characters, the issue has been known for at least 18 months to the best of my knowledge - it still isn't fixed in win 11. I installed an alternative from the MS store called 'blue mail' and it did seem to fix it but worryingly messages seemed to be going missing so I quickly uninstalled it and told her to just use the browser for the problem emails.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1020 on: February 6, 2023, 08:48:27 pm »
They've replaced the words Cut/Copy/Paste in the right click menu with icons (like the scissors for Cut etc). A shit move IMO. They've also hidden a lot of the standard Right Click Options so you have to click Show More" to see them.

It's dumbing down the OS for idiots.
That really and me too. Soon got used to the icons mind.
Happy to live with that for finally getting tabbed windows explorer.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1021 on: February 6, 2023, 10:02:05 pm »

I used Linux at John Moores University years ago and hated it due to it being so unfriendly and I've stayed away from it since.

Last month I also bought a Chromebook and I'm absolutely delighted with it:-

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=65T58EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB

HP Chromebook 14a-na0005na Full-HD Laptop - Pentium®
Chrome OS™
Intel® Pentium® Silver N5030
8 GB RAM
128 GB eMMC
35.6 cm (14 "), FHD (1920 x 1080), 250 nits, 45% NTSC
Intel® UHD Graphics 605

It retails for £270 but I managed to get a so-called grade A refurbished unit for £135, it's actually brand new, without a mark and comes with a twelve month warranty. It is fitted with an IPS FHD panel which produces a great picture and has good performance when playing videos or using the built in You Tube app. It does struggle a bit with my side loaded Apk IPTV application and TV streams can be unstable and there seems to be some sound compatibility issues. Supposedly it is only really designed to be used with apps installed from the play store but I have managed to install LibreOffice. It can be side loaded as a Linux app using the terminal after changing the machine into development mode and modifying a couple of security settings. You just have to remember where the files are as anything attached to an email and downloaded will be in the 'my files' folder and any LibreOffice files will be created in the 'Linux files' folder - so you have to move files between the two using a file manager.

It is a bit quirky, for example there is no mouse right click button but holding the 'alt' key and tapping the mouse brings up the right click menu. There is also no 'delete' button but pressing 'backspace' and shift gives that function. Task manager is accessed by using the 'search' + 'esc' buttons but Cntrl+C and Cntrl+V work as they should. My preferred browser Opera doesn't seem to work very well with it, the scroll bars don't work properly so I'm forced to use Google which works perfectly but by default I'm logged in with my gmail account, so can't browse anonymously. The other odd thing was that the pre-installed version of gmail would not allow me to add other accounts, I have hotmail too. I installed the version available on the play store which provided the capability and removed the pre-installed one.

The battery life at 12 hours is fantastic and I've ended up using it more than my Windows laptop for browsing and emails. My windows 10 laptop is a 15" HP Envy with a 4K display, it's getting on a bit now but still a great machine and I'll still use that for anything serious like software development etc. It's on its third battery and I'm lucky to get 1.5 hours - so it really needs its 4th! I've upgraded the SSD from 125Gb to 500Gb to accommodate all the MS Visual Studio development packs and added 8Gb of RAM for a total of 16Gb. (Triggers broom)!
 ;D

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1022 on: May 2, 2023, 07:22:05 am »
I am looking for a new laptop for my Niece but it has been a while since I bought one so I am a bit out of the loop.

Could someone recommend a new (not refurb) windows laptop with a 14 or 15 inch screen, pretty lightweight for college work for about £500?

Many thanks in advance.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1023 on: May 2, 2023, 09:15:27 pm »
Have a look at the ideapads at Currys.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jonnypb

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT97
« Reply #1024 on: May 3, 2023, 02:21:18 pm »
I am looking for a new laptop for my Niece but it has been a while since I bought one so I am a bit out of the loop.

Could someone recommend a new (not refurb) windows laptop with a 14 or 15 inch screen, pretty lightweight for college work for about £500?

Many thanks in advance.

Keep an eye on HUKD as laptop deals are often posted on there https://www.hotukdeals.com/search?q=laptop

John Lewis and Costco are always a good place to buy from as you get a 2 year warranty as standard, most other places will only give you 1 year.

As above, if portability is important, I would go into somewhere like Currys to have a look at several different ones.  There can be a big difference in size and weight between 14" and 15" laptops.  I ended up with a 13.1" one and find it great for carrying around in a bag.  Got the kids an ASUS 14" one a couple of years ago and I probably wouldn't advise going over that size if it's being carried about.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1025 on: May 4, 2023, 07:20:34 am »
Thanks - will do.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1026 on: May 16, 2023, 08:38:02 pm »
Bought myself an LG Gram today. it's nice. I7 1260P. Windows 11. 1TB ssd.

Offline aka_da_saus

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • follow me on twitter @aka_da_saus
« Reply #1027 on: May 19, 2023, 01:55:06 pm »
Had a dell latitude 3410 with work . Gone self employed now so have buy my own . Loved 3410 but don't seem be for sale now . Any suggestion for a similar powered laptop ? Be used for work and maybe small bit FM23
we hate nottingham forest
we hate everton 2 THERE SHIT
we hate man united
but liverpool we love u
all together now

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1028 on: May 23, 2023, 09:19:20 am »
Looking at getting a machine for my son (he'll be 7) for him to complete schoolwork and to use for things like Roblox and the like. Touchscreen is a necessity for a lot of the homework he's been completing up to now, but not sure about specs.  Not sure on budget, would ideally like to keep it around £300 but could stretch it for the right machine.

Upgradeability would be great as well as I can easily fit memory, clone a hard drive, etc.  Any ideas?  I'm kind of loathe to go for a Chromebook as, once you have it, that's the spec and it can get obsolete fairly quickly.  Plus the flash memory is usually arse.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1029 on: May 29, 2023, 05:50:30 pm »
Son off to Uni this years..needs laptop for course with folliwing spec min requirements :

Video card: dedicated with minimal 4 GB-memory
Working memory: 16 GB
Processor i7 or AMD Ryzen 7
Harddisc minimal 1TB
Monitor:17 inch

Any recommends welcome.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1030 on: May 29, 2023, 07:10:34 pm »
At 17” screen with 4GB dedicated graphics card you will be pretty much narrowed down to the Gaming Laptop market. Had a quick look on eBuyer and specifying that screen size with 16GB RAM the cheapest without specifying any processor was about £900 a budget brand.

It’s the screen that will hurt the budget, not many 17” laptops around nowadays. If you can get away with a 15.6” screen there’s far more for the money.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1031 on: May 29, 2023, 08:22:01 pm »
is 17" your son's spec or what he's been given? that'd be a faff to carry around.

Offline Baby Huey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1032 on: May 29, 2023, 08:27:55 pm »
Son off to Uni this years..needs laptop for course with folliwing spec min requirements :

Video card: dedicated with minimal 4 GB-memory
Working memory: 16 GB
Processor i7 or AMD Ryzen 7
Harddisc minimal 1TB
Monitor:17 inch

Any recommends welcome.
I got this last week. It weighs less than 3lbs and is really nice to use. As I’m posting on my iPad ;D

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/lg-gram-17-2021
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 08:29:37 pm by Baby Huey »

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #1033 on: May 30, 2023, 06:32:29 pm »
Thanks for advice above...he will be doing a lot of graphic design as he is doing an Urban Design course and Uni uses lots of design software programmes.

I suspect were in for a couple of grand....any further advice on what lap tops to buy welcome

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1034 on: May 31, 2023, 01:20:16 am »
There's a few here you can look at & then shop around for the cheapest deal, don't think any of them are 17" though.

The best laptops for graphic design in 2023

The ASUS Zenbook looks pretty cool but you wouldn't get much change out of £2000.

Microsoft surface is just under £1500
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Ben S

• Remember we were partners in crime. Pigeon Fancier. GTL Bus Freak. Also known as Bambi, apparently - or Miss Kitty on Wednesdays....
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 5 - 1 London
« Reply #1035 on: May 31, 2023, 08:38:36 am »
We use Surfaces ar work. I didn't think I would but I quite like them.  Great for being on call as they weigh next to nothing and I actually quite like the keyboard.
I wouldn't buy one myself though, the battery life is great when new but after a couple of years,  you will be lucky to get more than an hour and a half out of it.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1036 on: June 3, 2023, 08:18:18 am »
Thanks for advice above...he will be doing a lot of graphic design as he is doing an Urban Design course and Uni uses lots of design software programmes.

I suspect were in for a couple of grand....any further advice on what lap tops to buy welcome
Nowhere at the uni able to give advice? Former students?

Offline 67CherryRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1037 on: June 3, 2023, 10:44:49 am »
Took my work laptop to IT due to a crack in the case, the look of horror on his face when he saw it - my battery had swollen and tried to escape the case and was an immediate fire risk.

Got me thinking about my 2015 Macbook Pro which had developed a wobble and the lid wouldn't shut anymore - sure enough, a quick google and they were signs of a swollen battery as well.

£695 spent on a refurbed M1 2020 Macbook Air and it's an absolute beast.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1038 on: June 3, 2023, 11:12:59 am »
Took my work laptop to IT due to a crack in the case, the look of horror on his face when he saw it - my battery had swollen and tried to escape the case and was an immediate fire risk.

Got me thinking about my 2015 Macbook Pro which had developed a wobble and the lid wouldn't shut anymore - sure enough, a quick google and they were signs of a swollen battery as well.

£695 spent on a refurbed M1 2020 Macbook Air and it's an absolute beast.

We get cases of this almost every week at my work. One of the models we purchased hundreds of a few years ago was prone to it.

The expansion is a safeety feature, think of it a bit like an airbag. It gets trggered if one of the sensors detects a problem, but when they say is a fire risk, it probbaly is technically, but its really not about to spontaneously combust any second.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1039 on: June 6, 2023, 11:11:03 pm »
How do you feel like refurbished units go compared to new ones?  The spec difference is obviously higher with refurbs, but I've felt like there's more reassurance with a new-from-factory computer.
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.