Author Topic: The Frasier Thread  (Read 15633 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: The Frasier Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 28, 2022, 02:18:08 pm »
Frasier is actually about something. Well actually a lot of things. A successful radio personality moving through his career, his producer going from a cougar hunting anything to woman wanting a child, a brother in a broken marriage to finding love again, the servant (Daphne) becoming part of the family and lastly a father who appears to have no relationship with the son he lives with to probably the most important relationship in the show. All of these things make Frasier fantastic.

Seinfeld has none of those things and that's what makes it better. The "no hugging and no learning” mantra was critical to the show in that in mean't we spent 9 years watching the exact same characters stay in the same place with a different story nearly every episode.

To some extent 'The King of Queens' could be a hybrid of both shows.

That is fantastic description of the show, one of the few American sitcoms I really loved. All the characters were perfectly written and acted by the talented cast. 
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2022, 02:30:42 pm »
seinfeld is the antithesis of frasier - deffo but that's why it's great

you mention king of queens - i think this is an underrated show which can be very very funny and has some classic episodes

same with everybody loves raymond - so well written but relegated to an early morning slot forever more

King of Queens and Everybody Loves Raymond are both excellent shows. though much bigger in America than here.

Kevin James and Ray Romano made bank from those shows, so they aren't worried.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2022, 03:10:07 pm »
I think Everybody Loves Raymond is fantastic and got better as it went on whereas Frasier started out brilliantly for the first 6 seasons but dropped in quality  from 7 on.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2022, 03:38:06 pm »
I think Everybody Loves Raymond is fantastic and got better as it went on whereas Frasier started out brilliantly for the first 6 seasons but dropped in quality  from 7 on.

I'd broadly agree, because Frasier did lose something when Niles and Daphne got together.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2022, 07:38:43 pm »
Frasier is actually about something. Well actually a lot of things. A successful radio personality moving through his career, his producer going from a cougar hunting anything to woman wanting a child, a brother in a broken marriage to finding love again, the servant (Daphne) becoming part of the family and lastly a father who appears to have no relationship with the son he lives with to probably the most important relationship in the show. All of these things make Frasier fantastic.

Seinfeld has none of those things and that's what makes it better. The "no hugging and no learning” mantra was critical to the show in that in mean't we spent 9 years watching the exact same characters stay in the same place with a different story nearly every episode.

To some extent 'The King of Queens' could be a hybrid of both shows.

I'd prefer Seinfeld because I think it's the best sitcom but Frasier's great as well and right up there. It's warmer than Seinfeld and it's just a different feel of show but the writers are great in both. Re-watching Cheers at the moment as well which has a similar vibe obviously but is a bit more dated. Sam Malone's constant womanising and letching behaviour in every episode, 80s style, gets very grating. It's the side characters that make it like Norm and Cliff.

Other than Curb I never really got into other American sitcoms. Liked Friends on its original run in the 90s. I could watch those aforementioned 4 on a loop.

I think Seinfeld kept its quality as well till the end, although the final season dropped off slightly and Jerry called it quits at the right time. Cheers and Frasier probably went on a season or 2 longer than they should, same with Curb.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 07:41:46 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2022, 07:44:02 pm »
Most sitcoms tend to outstay their welcome, so Frasier wasn't unique in that regard.

It's definitely up there as one of the best for me, certainly in those first few years.

In terms of the 2000s, the period where NBC in the US were showing all of The Office, 30 Rock, Community and Parks & Rec was pretty special, and all four of those have stood the test of time IMO.

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2022, 07:45:35 pm »
Most sitcoms tend to outstay their welcome, so Frasier wasn't unique in that regard.

It's definitely up there as one of the best for me, certainly in those first few years.

In terms of the 2000s, the period where NBC in the US were showing all of The Office, 30 Rock, Community and Parks & Rec was pretty special, and all four of those have stood the test of time IMO.

You have to factor in the sheer number of episodes of the likes of Frasier and Cheers as well.

Fawlty Towers and The Office are held as the pantheon of British comedy and they only made 12 episodes.  There's 264 episodes of Frasier.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2022, 08:45:09 pm »
I'd prefer Seinfeld because I think it's the best sitcom but Frasier's great as well and right up there. It's warmer than Seinfeld and it's just a different feel of show but the writers are great in both. Re-watching Cheers at the moment as well which has a similar vibe obviously but is a bit more dated. Sam Malone's constant womanising and letching behaviour in every episode, 80s style, gets very grating. It's the side characters that make it like Norm and Cliff.

Other than Curb I never really got into other American sitcoms. Liked Friends on its original run in the 90s. I could watch those aforementioned 4 on a loop.

I think Seinfeld kept its quality as well till the end, although the final season dropped off slightly and Jerry called it quits at the right time. Cheers and Frasier probably went on a season or 2 longer than they should, same with Curb.

to be honest, I think Seinfeld went way downhill after season 7. It was from a very great height though, so it was still funny.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2022, 08:48:04 pm »
to be honest, I think Seinfeld went way downhill after season 7. It was from a very great height though, so it was still funny.

Yes, this is where I have the problem with a number of American shows they go on for too long and as a result lose the ability to keep the original standard going.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2022, 09:25:18 pm »
You have to factor in the sheer number of episodes of the likes of Frasier and Cheers as well.

Fawlty Towers and The Office are held as the pantheon of British comedy and they only made 12 episodes.  There's 264 episodes of Frasier.

Oh absolutely. There’s a huge incentive for shows to run for so many episodes in the States, as if a show runs 100 episodes it can then be syndicated and there’s huge money in that.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2022, 10:11:45 pm »

Larry left after season 7 so that was going to take a hit. I thought 8 was still good though. 9 was starting to drop off.

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #131 on: January 13, 2023, 07:53:03 pm »
Nicholas Lyndhurst cast in the new series.

That’s as left field as it gets. Let’s hope he’s not from “Manchester”.
AHA!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #132 on: January 13, 2023, 07:56:30 pm »

I’ve googled it 3 times to check it wasn’t a spoof…..

It wasn’t…..

Good lord
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 13, 2023, 08:31:46 pm »

I wonder if his character will be called Dave?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #134 on: January 13, 2023, 08:59:16 pm »
Probably a character to fill the void left by the dude who died.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #135 on: January 13, 2023, 09:00:13 pm »

'Lyndhurst will play Alan Cornwall, described as “Frasier’s old college buddy turned university professor. British, boozy and larger than life, Alan has an intellect on par with Frasier’s—if only he ever felt like using it. Alan’s mischievous streak might be just what Frasier could use to shake up his routine, while Frasier’s thoughtful guidance might help Alan find some of the direction he’s been missing in his own life.”'

British and boozy sounds like a bit of a dull charicature. Like Daphnes father and brothers. Apparently Frasier has moved to a new city, maybe the whole thing is set in London ;D

Am quite looking forward to this but just can't see it being any good without David Hyde Pierce.

I think they'd taken the conflict with Martin about as far as it could go so while it's obviously hugely sad that John Mahoney passed away, it gives them licence to refresh it a bit. But his dynamics with Roz and Niles were the heart of the show really.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 13, 2023, 09:09:13 pm »
I like this casting, be interested to see how he is in it.

Cannot wait for this show, this and Seinfeld are my all time favourite comedy shows.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2023, 09:10:46 pm »
I can’t say he’s ever struck me as “boozy and larger than life” :D

Pretty much agree with all of what you said there, the relationship with Eddie was massive too, he used him as his own therapist in a way. Maybe Lyndhurst is actually playing a dog.
AHA!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2023, 10:17:18 am »
Two brothers stuck in a flat squabbling and having an older cussed relative live with them?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2023, 03:53:54 am »
Frasier in his boxers and bare feet, but a shirt on giving teletherapy via TikTok for bitcoins. The room Frasier's side is clean but behind the laptop is empty bottles and general detritus as the man lives in whatever Americans call a skip

Niles's WhatsApp profile picture (the only way you see him on the show)is a beaujolais - the cheeky rejoinders

Daffney's built now.

WOOF ROT goes the robot dog as black smoke curls out of its ass

Frasier logs onto Reddit to shill his app to fentanyl-addled fruitcakes who lap it up joyously. The fiercer Frasier's insults, the better the biz. Ferocious calls, goading, hooking into little elements of anybody's personality - aggrandizing it, waggling and tweaking til they burn for therapy

and outside always the black rain

TITLE CARD: Nobody Is Safe In Their Home?

(the crowd whoops and cheers the bloodbath)

.....a playful jazz outro.......
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:02:37 am by ToneLa »

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2023, 12:55:25 pm »

glad to see he's gettng back into acting after the death of his son, surprised he's been cast in Frasier though but looking forward to seeing how it works
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2023, 02:28:41 pm »
'Lyndhurst will play Alan Cornwall, described as “Frasier’s old college buddy turned university professor. British, boozy and larger than life, Alan has an intellect on par with Frasier’s—if only he ever felt like using it. Alan’s mischievous streak might be just what Frasier could use to shake up his routine, while Frasier’s thoughtful guidance might help Alan find some of the direction he’s been missing in his own life.”'

British and boozy sounds like a bit of a dull charicature. Like Daphnes father and brothers. Apparently Frasier has moved to a new city, maybe the whole thing is set in London ;D

Am quite looking forward to this but just can't see it being any good without David Hyde Pierce.

I think they'd taken the conflict with Martin about as far as it could go so while it's obviously hugely sad that John Mahoney passed away, it gives them licence to refresh it a bit. But his dynamics with Roz and Niles were the heart of the show really.

yeah it seems a bit... obvious.   The masterstroke in Frasier was making Niles even more Frasiery than Frasier.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: February 1, 2023, 07:25:20 pm »
New series starts filming this week and is set in Boston, where it all began. None of the other original cast returning, at least in the main cast, but Frasier’s son Freddie and Niles and Daphne’s son David are main characters. They’re college age, and with Nicholas Lyndhurst playing a college professor, would maybe make sense if this was set at a posh New England college? Frasier transitioning into teaching feels logical.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: February 2, 2023, 05:13:27 am »
Daphne still working for Frasier, rubbing his feet in his sjsfh apartment, he throws her a vial of heroin for payment

Eddie stuffed on the wall

Martin hanging from the ceiling

and a goldfish called Niles

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: February 2, 2023, 07:09:51 pm »
New series starts filming this week and is set in Boston, where it all began. None of the other original cast returning, at least in the main cast, but Frasier’s son Freddie and Niles and Daphne’s son David are main characters. They’re college age, and with Nicholas Lyndhurst playing a college professor, would maybe make sense if this was set at a posh New England college? Frasier transitioning into teaching feels logical.

Hoping there's an episode where Frasier and Alan accidently destroy a priceless chandelier.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: February 2, 2023, 07:42:12 pm »
I'll have to keep an eye out for a yellow Three wheeler on the streets of Boston.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: February 2, 2023, 08:33:03 pm »
Read that Freddie is a firefighter in it. Guessing they’re going to try and have echoes of the original. Focus on a father/son dynamic, with Freddie in public service just like Martin was. And maybe Frasier is forced to move in with him?

Online JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #147 on: February 2, 2023, 08:33:11 pm »

Freddie was in high school when the series ended so logically would be in his mid-30s by now. David would be 18 or so now which makes sense. But they can't be the same age?

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: February 2, 2023, 08:39:22 pm »
Freddie was in high school when the series ended so logically would be in his mid-30s by now. David would be 18 or so now which makes sense. But they can't be the same age?

Yeah think I got that wrong, it’s just Niles kid that’s at college. Frasier’s son is a firefighter.

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: February 2, 2023, 10:24:40 pm »

Rodney you asshole!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: February 3, 2023, 07:57:38 am »
I can't see this being anything but average to bad unfortunately. Shows like Frasier and Seinfeld benefitted from the time they were made, where sitcoms were shot in a particular way. To put Frasier now in this modern world without the rest of the main cast just cannot be as good. A lot of Frasier's success was down to the dynamic Grammar had with Niles, Daphne etc.

It's like if Seinfeld came back now and it was just Jerry or The Office did another series but it's just Brent with no Gareth, Tim etc.

I will watch and hope it's a good watch but my expectations are low.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: February 3, 2023, 09:20:15 am »
I can't see this being anything but average to bad unfortunately. Shows like Frasier and Seinfeld benefitted from the time they were made, where sitcoms were shot in a particular way. To put Frasier now in this modern world without the rest of the main cast just cannot be as good. A lot of Frasier's success was down to the dynamic Grammar had with Niles, Daphne etc.

It's like if Seinfeld came back now and it was just Jerry or The Office did another series but it's just Brent with no Gareth, Tim etc.

I will watch and hope it's a good watch but my expectations are low.

My expectations are low too. I presume they're doing it as a multi-camera sitcom like Cheers and Frasier, with a live audience, and I'm not sure when the last great sitcom of that type was. I wasn't a fan, but Big Bang Theory is probably the most recent example of a really successful one, otherwise that style hasn't really been big since the early 2000s.

I think it's better they've got a whole new cast though (apart from Frasier). Don't want them trying to just recreate what came before, and while it'd be great for Niles to be in the main cast for example, would it just feel like treading old ground?

I just hope it has a similar sensibility to the original - smart jokes, not playing down to the audience... that's what set Frasier apart.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #152 on: February 3, 2023, 03:36:45 pm »
also, hopefully it should have less of that 'farce' comedy which frasier seemed to turn into - too many 'situations' that were 'funny' rather than good dialogue or clever wit
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: February 3, 2023, 05:38:51 pm »
Kelsey Grammer being older than John Mahoney was at the end of Frasier is quite something.

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: February 4, 2023, 10:02:02 am »
also, hopefully it should have less of that 'farce' comedy which frasier seemed to turn into - too many 'situations' that were 'funny' rather than good dialogue or clever wit

hello my exact opposite

best episodes for me:
the ski lodge
the innkeepers
the gay trilogy

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 4, 2023, 10:31:38 am »
Ham Radio is the one that always spring to mind for me.

I’ve just started a rewatch and the one where Lilith returns is excellent. There’s a joke earlier in the show from Martin about how no-one could find Lilith attractive and man is he wrong.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 4, 2023, 11:02:39 am »
My expectations are low too. I presume they're doing it as a multi-camera sitcom like Cheers and Frasier, with a live audience, and I'm not sure when the last great sitcom of that type was. I wasn't a fan, but Big Bang Theory is probably the most recent example of a really successful one, otherwise that style hasn't really been big since the early 2000s.

I think it's better they've got a whole new cast though (apart from Frasier). Don't want them trying to just recreate what came before, and while it'd be great for Niles to be in the main cast for example, would it just feel like treading old ground?

I just hope it has a similar sensibility to the original - smart jokes, not playing down to the audience... that's what set Frasier apart.

For me part of a great show is that the cast have such a good chemistry that it feels unbelievable luck they got them all together.

It will feel odd that Frasier won't have Niles in it seeing as they were best friends as well as brothers. I don't think any time gap can explain the absence there personally.

Even the odd cameo would be good - maybe that will eventually happen.

"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #157 on: August 22, 2023, 06:50:12 pm »

'Frasier (2023) | Teaser | Paramount+':-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ytRUZi9geSE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ytRUZi9geSE</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/v/ytRUZi9geSE or https://twitter.com/ParamountPlusUK/status/1694019253999931420

on Paramount+ on Thursday 12th October in the US, and on Friday 13th October in the UK.

a 'first look' - with images of scenes from the new series - https://ew.com/tv/frasier-reboot-first-look

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 06:53:26 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: August 23, 2023, 03:45:41 pm »
I wonder if they'll make Rodders do a shite American accent. Or if he'll be doing a bizarre, unrecognisable British stereotype in the tradition of American sitcoms in general and Frasier in particular.

Hoping this good so we can get a Del Boy and Niles spin-off
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #159 on: August 23, 2023, 03:59:59 pm »
Think it'll be really difficult to recreate the magic of that dynamic the original cast had.  Might need to be a different show, in the same way Frasier was a massive departure from Cheers.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.