Author Topic: Rox's Dog Advice Thread  (Read 397470 times)

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« on: July 20, 2006, 09:33:59 pm »
Seeing as I spend my days providing people with the answers to their doggy problems, I thought I'd offer some of my doggy wisdom on here.  ;)

So, to kick off, I'm going to give some general advice about food and feeding.

The food you feed your dog has a big impact on it's behaviour.  If you go to the supermarket and pick up the dog food that's 'on offer' or the ones with the brightest packets, you're probably giving your dog the wrong food.

I'll give you an example: Baker's Complete.

Look at the picture of the packet.  The food as artificial colourings.  There's green, red, yellow.  All to make it look like a balanced human meal.  Dogs don't give a monkeys what colour their food is.  The colourings are entirely superfluous.

These sorts of foods are often designed to give dogs a 'boost', so that your average buyer says 'hey, isn't Fido looking perky on his new food?'

Problem is, these additives and colourings turn active breeds (like collies)  into Hyperactive nightmares.  Basically it's like E-Numbers for kids.  Sends them loopy.

If you have an overactive dog, PLEASE check what food you're feeding.  If you're feeding mainstream brands, your problem probably starts there.  If you have a large pet store or a Farm Shop, try getting dry all in one foods like Chudley's Classic, Arden Grange (Lamb and Rice goes down well).

If your dog turns it's nose up at the thought of dry food, then 'Butcher's Tripe' in tins is fine - they don't have any additives or colourings.

Another great thing for dogs are RAW BONES - FROM YOUR BUTCHER.  Bones in Pet Shops have been cooked (often boiled).  Dogs love raw bones (beef / lamb bones are best - chicken bones are too small).  They love to get the marrow out from inside the bone (which exercises their mind), and the raw meat helps with their digestion.  The act of chewing the bone is superb for cleaning their teeth.  There is one side-effect - if your dogs eats a lot of raw bones, his or her poo will turn white and powdery.  That's nothing to worry about - it's what their poo should be like.

So, if you have any questions, the thread is open!  :D
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline Spartacus.

• I dragged Rafa into the pub. Knits only with the finest quality Wools.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • KFS
Re: Rox's Dog Advice Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 09:35:59 pm »
What is the best way to house train them when they're not pups and are used to outdoor living?  Can you house train a dog at any age?

:-)
RAWK anti scouse?
YNWA is more than a song, think about it.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
  • fiends,romans and fuck off everton!!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 09:50:36 pm »
Is it wrong to give muttley the leftovers from a kfc?
1st IS 1st, 2nd IS NOWHERE.
NEVER FORGET NEVER FORGIVE.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:03:56 pm »
What is the best way to house train them when they're not pups and are used to outdoor living?  Can you house train a dog at any age?

Yes, but it takes some time and patience...  ;)  Basically, dogs do not like to mess where they sleep.  Is this an overnight problem, or do they mess during the day too?  Tell me a bit about the dogs background and the problem, and I'll provide some ways to get it sorted.  :) 

Is it wrong to give muttley the leftovers from a kfc?

Depends which bit you're giving them...  ;)  If you've got a bit of Vienetta left over from the meal deal, that's fine - a great way to keep your dog cool in this weather...!  (Although human chocolate is toxic to dogs...especialy dark chocolate - so only get the other flavours).

Seriously though, you should never give dogs any cooked chicken bones.  Raw, they are fine.  Lots of dogs love to eat Raw chicken wings / drumsticks.  In the case of KFC, because they've been cooked, the moisture has been taken out of the bones and they are brittle.  With brittle bones there's the risk that they will splinter and get lodged in the throat or tummy.  If this happens, you're looking at a hefty Vets bill - or worse.  There's no reason why muttley shouldn't have the chicken meat (ensuring there  are no bones), the coleslaw (seeing as no one eats that) and why not treat them to their own boneless fillet?  ;)

I sound like a right doom-monger!
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline tedmus

• Bird Assassin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 10:17:47 pm »

You can but you need to be patient and ignore any accidents, shouting at them wont make them not do it, more likely to do it where you cant see it ! Just clean them up without making a fuss and use specific pet mess cleaners, household stuff (detergents, bleaches, general cleaners etc) can leave a trace smell behind which will encourage the dog to toilet there again. Get into a routine, first thing in a morning, after they have eaten, last thing at night, take them out every hour or so and ask them to do what you want them to do and when they do PRAISE THEM like buggery and give them a treat, they'll soon get the jist, watch them for signs they need to go (sniffifng the floor and circling around for example) and take them out straight away, loads of praise when they do what you ask them to.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 10:28:45 pm »
You can but you need to be patient and ignore any accidents, shouting at them wont make them not do it, more likely to do it where you cant see it ! Just clean them up without making a fuss and use specific pet mess cleaners, household stuff (detergents, bleaches, general cleaners etc) can leave a trace smell behind which will encourage the dog to toilet there again. Get into a routine, first thing in a morning, after they have eaten, last thing at night, take them out every hour or so and ask them to do what you want them to do and when they do PRAISE THEM like buggery and give them a treat, they'll soon get the jist, watch them for signs they need to go (sniffifng the floor and circling around for example) and take them out straight away, loads of praise when they do what you ask them to.

Vinager diluted in water is good too, for cleaning after them.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• No longer counts double
  • Legacy Fan
  • i've been down so god damn long
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 10:32:15 pm »
golden retriever, 2 in sept,wont stop barking.apparently been traumatized before we had her.
how do i stop her ?
thanks
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 10:38:32 pm »
If ,and it's a fucking big IF, we get beat in the derby next season, should I take Muttley to the vets to get my shoe out of her arse or should I just yank it out the next morning?
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:05:05 pm »
golden retriever, 2 in sept,wont stop barking.apparently been traumatized before we had her.
how do i stop her ?
thanks

Depends what she's barking at...  ;)  Is it all the time, or just at very specific things?  Check her diet (make sure she's not hyper).  If you can give me an idea of what she barks at, (context is very important to work out what advice you need) I'll have some suggestions for you.

Good advice.  :)  It's especially important not to tell them off.  In extreme circumstances it can make them scared of going to the toilet full stop.

Always make sure you feed them their tea around 4 o'clock-ish if you can, giving them the chance to digest and have a poo in plenty of time before bed.  When you let them out to do their business, you can use a phrase (like 'tiddle and a poo') to let them know it's loo time.  To get them used to that, use it when you see them going, and like tedmus says - plenty of praise.

You can also get 'puppy training pads' to put on the floor.  These pads have a special chemical on them which encourages the dog to 'go' on the pad.  (They are plastic backed, and soak up a huge amount of water - much better than paper).  You can then start moving that towards the door, and when they get used to it, move the pad outside.  It's just getting them into a routine they can recognise and feel comfortable with.  Although they are called 'puppy' training pads, they work just as well with adult woofers.

If ,and it's a fucking big IF, we get beat in the derby next season, should I take Muttley to the vets to get my shoe out of her arse or should I just yank it out the next morning?

I would say that if that happens, you shouldn't blame your dog.  Feel free to swing your boot at Moyes' back passage instead.  There is a fiscal benefit here too - the NHS is free, whereas Vets are expensive.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:13 pm »
For house training we used these nappy type things to get her used to pissing in the one place.

Next doors front step.
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 11:10:01 pm »
ok Rox,she barks at -- anything.
people,squirrels, if we're sat in the front room she barks.
we put her in the garden,she barks.
we sit with her in the front room/garden?,you got it.

i know she's not a scared type dog.she proved that by barking when i put the shotgun to her head..  ( ONLY JOKING. )

A vet recommended getting her spade?(sp)
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline morestellata

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 11:14:39 pm »

And twatting her on the head with it ??
NEVER BUY THE SUN.
JUSTICE WILL BE DONE.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 11:15:45 pm »
ok Rox,she barks at -- anything.
people,squirrels, if we're sat in the front room she barks.
we put her in the garden,she barks.
we sit with her in the front room/garden?,you got it.

i know she's not a scared type dog.she proved that by barking when i put the shotgun to her head..  ( ONLY JOKING. )

Getting her speyed is a good idea for many reasons - but it won't stop her barking.  Speying will eliminate the risk of certain types of cancer later on in her life, so I'd definitely get that done on a health level.

As for the barking, if she's particularly scared of something or stressed, you need to show her that you're in charge.  That doesn't mean you're being nasty or anything, just that there's nothing for her to be afraid of because you're there.

What is your usual response when she barks?  Do you shout at her and tell her off?

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 11:16:39 pm »
not a first,seem to a bit now.
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline NewHampshire_Exile

• Ambassador
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.YNWA.TV
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 03:02:20 am »
As ROx suggested using specific words when tiolet training a dog is a great idea. We did that with our last dog and it worked fine.
be consistant and you can get your dog to piss and shit on command.
very handy if you live near a manc or toffee owned house.

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 03:11:20 am »
As ROx suggested using specific words when tiolet training a dog is a great idea. We did that with our last dog and it worked fine.
be consistant and you can get your dog to piss and shit on command.
very handy if you live near a manc or toffee owned house.
So Gollum and Neville, then?.. :D

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:02 am »
not a first,seem to a bit now.

When your dog barks, you should never shout at them. Basically, if a member of a 'pack' barks, then they are waiting for the pack leader to join in.  When you shout, you're barking.  ;)

Basically, to get her out of the habit, you need to distract her.  A lot of the 'barkbuster' type behaviourists recommend a beaker filled with stones that you throw on the floor to distract their attention.  DON'T do that.  (It's distracting a negative with a negative).  Preferably you want to distract with a positive.

Don't call her name, but use something like a squeaky toy that you get her very interested in.  When she barks, you squeak the toy.  Then, when she comes running, you can ask her to find the toy.  What you're doing is trying to relieve her boredom, and then give her a little job to do so that she feels she's doing something for you.

As I said above, you can also get some nice raw bones from your butcher - you'd be surprised how much difference that can make to their boredom levels.  :)

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 10:04:21 am »
So Gollum and Neville, then?.. :D

How's your collie getting on?  ;D

Offline Mr Mojo Risin'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 10:08:55 am »
nice one.
only reason started shouting was because i've got 3 young kids,and the dog kept waking them up.i know i was probably out of line,but the combi of no sleep and barking was doing my head in.
anyways,cheers for that,off to the butchers in a bit.. :wave
DON'T BUY THE  SUN.

Offline David Benitez

• Knows an attractive man when he sees one...
  • Kopite
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:13:28 am »
There is a picture of my dog in my avatar. She is boss when I am walking down Lodgie, well agressive and reacts to all the other dogs. But I now how a six month old little lad, how can I get her to be more passive around the house. She has alredy bitten the Missus twice.

Cheers mate.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 10:19:00 am »
Strange that you say that that's a picture of your dog. That same picture has been used by the Echo in it's campaign against dangerous dogs. Has appeared on the Echo website and everything.
Legacy fan

Offline David Benitez

• Kopite
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 10:22:18 am »
Yeah funny that, isn't it.....

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 10:24:00 am »
Hilarious.

I'd sue if I were you, can't let them get away with libelling your dog.
Legacy fan

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2006, 10:27:24 am »
There is a picture of my dog in my avatar. She is boss when I am walking down Lodgie, well agressive and reacts to all the other dogs. But I now how a six month old little lad, how can I get her to be more passive around the house. She has alredy bitten the Missus twice.

Cheers mate.
Strange that you say that that's a picture of your dog. That same picture has been used by the Echo in it's campaign against dangerous dogs. Has appeared on the Echo website and everything.

I guess that David Benitez' post is some kind of wind up, but there is a serious point here.  Anyone who owns a dog with the express intent of them being aggressive and tough (like a fashion accessory) is a moron.  As soon as any dog that has been encouraged to be aggressive bites, they are but to sleep.  There are people out there who make their dogs into nasty aggressive creatures, and don't seem to care that they are effectively killing their own dog by making them antisocial.  Then, they blame it all on the dog for being a bad dog.

It's like getting your 8 year old kids to commit murder with a loaded gun you gave them, and then blame violence on TV.  I would like to keep this thread for serious advice please - don't mind having a laugh and a joke, but it really isn't the place to be fishing.

nice one.
only reason started shouting was because i've got 3 young kids,and the dog kept waking them up.i know i was probably out of line,but the combi of no sleep and barking was doing my head in.
anyways,cheers for that,off to the butchers in a bit.. :wave

No worries - we all get stressed, don't worry about it.  It's just a case of getting the right rules in when you know them.  ;D

Offline Beni

• The Original Grass
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 10:55:07 am »
Dog off its food last few weeks....is it due to the weather?.......and is there any alternative food I can try?....cheers :wave
I must be getting old-because I am a Grandad.....

BAN HARPER

Offline David Benitez

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 11:07:58 am »
I guess that David Benitez' post is some kind of wind up, but there is a serious point here.  Anyone who owns a dog with the express intent of them being aggressive and tough (like a fashion accessory) is a moron.  As soon as any dog that has been encouraged to be aggressive bites, they are but to sleep.  There are people out there who make their dogs into nasty aggressive creatures, and don't seem to care that they are effectively killing their own dog by making them antisocial.  Then, they blame it all on the dog for being a bad dog.

It's like getting your 8 year old kids to commit murder with a loaded gun you gave them, and then blame violence on TV.  I would like to keep this thread for serious advice please - don't mind having a laugh and a joke, but it really isn't the place to be fishing.

No worries - we all get stressed, don't worry about it.  It's just a case of getting the right rules in when you know them.  ;D

I am not sure that you could say that I am fishing or on a wind-up, i think that would be rather un-fair, after all DBD could, simply by reading the Echo and this website, identify that my previous post was not entirely about personal experience. Ok, in response to 'J'accuse' I hold my hands up, I do not own a dog, much as I would crave the companionship and fun of owning a dog again, my work and living arrangements would not deem it fair on the dog.

However, in response to the original context of this post, there is a serious issue in Liverpool at this time about the ownership of dangerous dogs, the status symbol they reflect, the fact that they are loose unrestrained in parks and that, yet, these dogs when returned to the home are supposed to suspend this natural aggressive behaviour and act kindly around children and others. If well treated, I believe that some dogs are able to respond to a loving , caring environment, but often I have witnessed these dogs kicked and punched out of frustrated and then the protagonists have been suprised by the power of their jaws when bitten.

As this is a serious thread, Rox, any thoughts welcome.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:11:52 am by David Benitez »

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 11:51:43 am »
However, in response to the original context of this post, there is a serious issue in Liverpool at this time about the ownership of dangerous dogs, the status symbol they reflect, the fact that they are loose unrestrained in parks and that, yet, these dogs when returned to the home are supposed to suspend this natural aggressive behaviour and act kindly around children and others. If well treated, I believe that some dogs are able to respond to a loving , caring environment, but often I have witnessed these dogs kicked and punched out of frustrated and then the protagonists have been suprised by the power of their jaws when bitten.

As this is a serious thread, Rox, any thoughts welcome.

'Status' dogs are always going to become a problem because the owners have them for a specific reason.  They want the toughest looking dog as this status symbol of how hard they are.  I would argue that if you were that hard, you wouldn't need to physically abuse a dog and use them as a status symbol.  They often use "choke-chains" to walk the dog, and half-strangle them with it when they 'misbehave'.  The person who uses their dog as status is immediately sending the signal to the dog that they need to be defensive.  The dog learns that everything around it is to be barked at, and defended against.  Often, this reaction comes from fear, instilled by the owner.

The problem then is that you have a dog who has been conditioned by the owner to act in an aggressive way.  With the right home and right stimulus, these dogs can be rehabilitated - because basically they need to put their trust in humans again.  The control exerted over these animals is just for the power it gives the owner.  Dogs love to know who is the boss, but it doesn't mean they should be beaten.  They need guidance, and they need that responsibility to be aggressive taken off of their shoulders.

There are some breeds who can be predisposed to aggression, but by and large if the same puppy is brought up by a bad owner and a good owner, the difference is amazing.

Using physical means to chastise or train a dog is the refuge of someone with no clue how to deal with that dog.  For example, the other week someone called because they'd been told by a professional Police Dog trainer that he could train this guy's collie, but he'd "have to break him first".

Unfortunately, some people aren't bright enough to engage with their dog and understand a particular breeds instincts, needs and personality.  Collies make very bad guard dogs in the same way that a Chiuahua would not know how to round up sheep.

For some bizarre reason, we hold dogs to both a lower standard than we would expect of ourselves, and yet also a higher standard.  On the one hand, we think that because we can own them, and they are 'possessions' they are lower than us in the pecking order, however, most people expect their dog to like every other dog it meets.  We don't like every other person we meet, so why hold dogs to a higher standard?

The secret is to make sure that your dog is confident in you and your role as someone for them to look to and take instruction from.  You want a dog to do stuff for you because they respect you and want to do it - not out of fear.  We've helped dogs who have been beaten over a period of years, and been able to help them trust people again and become lovely family pets.  The sad reality is that sometimes, people can abuse their dogs so much that it's impossible to help them.

Unfortuntely, the people who see dogs as status symbols don't have respect for their dog and treat them inappropriately which leads to the bad behaviour - and then they act all surprised when the dog bites and hurts someone.

There's no answer to this problem whilst just anyone can buy any dog they like.

Dog off its food last few weeks....is it due to the weather?.......and is there any alternative food I can try?....cheers :wave

Well, it could be the heat, but we need to narrow a few things down.  ;)

What are you feeding your dog at the moment? 
Are they eating absolutely nothing, or just small amounts? 
Is he/she drinking plenty of water? 
Has your dog lost weight in the last few weeks? 
Has your dog exhibited any odd behaviour in the last few weeks?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 11:53:17 am by Rox »

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2006, 12:44:09 pm »
How's your collie getting on?  ;D
Thriving, he's a great dog.

Offline Beni

• The Original Grass
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2006, 12:49:52 pm »
Well, it could be the heat, but we need to narrow a few things down.  ;)

What are you feeding your dog at the moment? 
Are they eating absolutely nothing, or just small amounts? 
Is he/she drinking plenty of water? 
Has your dog lost weight in the last few weeks? 
Has your dog exhibited any odd behaviour in the last few weeks?
[/quote]Feeding him 50/50 tinned and dry mix...
He's eating just small amounts...but will eat any leftovers.
Slightly more water intake....
Not lost a lot of weight but noticed his nose seems to be dryer..
Overall he's not really acting any differently...
cheers.

BAN HARPER

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2006, 01:04:43 pm »
:lmao
Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Jo-YNWA-

• Main Stander
  • RoboCrouch
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 01:14:14 pm »
Our dog has started snapping and growling at people, but it's not just strangers, he has done it to me twice as well. He's a bull mastiff and is 2 years old. We've had him since he was a pup and he's never been badly treated or anything. He is spoilt so I thought maybe that's why. At first we thought it might be his food so we stopped giving him our left overs and made sure he only had the dried food that the vets recommended. But he did it again to me the other day. I don't think he is meaning to be aggressive because his tail wags as soon as he does it but I'm worried about him going too far if anyone different comes round. Just wondering if you've got any thoughts?

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2006, 01:21:43 pm »
Feeding him 50/50 tinned and dry mix...
He's eating just small amounts...but will eat any leftovers.
Slightly more water intake....
Not lost a lot of weight but noticed his nose seems to be dryer..
Overall he's not really acting any differently...
cheers.

All our dogs here eat much less when it's hot, so that is very much a possibility  forgot to ask what kind of dog he is...

With his food, try putting down a tin of Butcher's Tripe Mix in his bowl, with no dry food.  In the hot weather, dry food makes them drink more, whereas wet food means they get moisture in the food too.  If that doesn't work, try Chappie instead - it's very bland, just in case he's got a tummy upset.

If he loses a lot of weight or stops drinking, get him to the vet immediately.  Dogs can survive for prolonged peroids on little amounts of food as long as they have plenty of water (their metabolism is that of a scavenger, and are able, like Wolves, to go for safely for periods without eating).  Some of that can depend on breed, though.

It could be that the first day he didn't eat his dinner he realised you guys started giving him some nice food from your plates...sometimes it's not really that they won't eat, but more that he's trying to only eat the tidbits you're giving him...  He may have learned that if he doesn't eat his dinner, you'll give him some of yours.

Another trick is to put the dog food on a plate instead, and leave it in his reach, but not where he'd usually eat it.  Dogs love food if it's stolen!

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2006, 01:28:05 pm »
'Status' dogs are always going to become a problem because the owners have them for a specific reason.  They want the toughest looking dog as this status symbol of how hard they are.  I would argue that if you were that hard, you wouldn't need to physically abuse a dog and use them as a status symbol.  They often use "choke-chains" to walk the dog, and half-strangle them with it when they 'misbehave'.  The person who uses their dog as status is immediately sending the signal to the dog that they need to be defensive.  The dog learns that everything around it is to be barked at, and defended against.  Often, this reaction comes from fear, instilled by the owner.

The problem then is that you have a dog who has been conditioned by the owner to act in an aggressive way.  With the right home and right stimulus, these dogs can be rehabilitated - because basically they need to put their trust in humans again.  The control exerted over these animals is just for the power it gives the owner.  Dogs love to know who is the boss, but it doesn't mean they should be beaten.  They need guidance, and they need that responsibility to be aggressive taken off of their shoulders.

There are some breeds who can be predisposed to aggression, but by and large if the same puppy is brought up by a bad owner and a good owner, the difference is amazing.

Using physical means to chastise or train a dog is the refuge of someone with no clue how to deal with that dog.  For example, the other week someone called because they'd been told by a professional Police Dog trainer that he could train this guy's collie, but he'd "have to break him first".

Unfortunately, some people aren't bright enough to engage with their dog and understand a particular breeds instincts, needs and personality.  Collies make very bad guard dogs in the same way that a Chiuahua would not know how to round up sheep.

For some bizarre reason, we hold dogs to both a lower standard than we would expect of ourselves, and yet also a higher standard.  On the one hand, we think that because we can own them, and they are 'possessions' they are lower than us in the pecking order, however, most people expect their dog to like every other dog it meets.  We don't like every other person we meet, so why hold dogs to a higher standard?

The secret is to make sure that your dog is confident in you and your role as someone for them to look to and take instruction from.  You want a dog to do stuff for you because they respect you and want to do it - not out of fear.  We've helped dogs who have been beaten over a period of years, and been able to help them trust people again and become lovely family pets.  The sad reality is that sometimes, people can abuse their dogs so much that it's impossible to help them.

Unfortuntely, the people who see dogs as status symbols don't have respect for their dog and treat them inappropriately which leads to the bad behaviour - and then they act all surprised when the dog bites and hurts someone.

There's no answer to this problem whilst just anyone can buy any dog they like.
quote]

Yeah a few years ago my brother bought himself a mastiff to look hard, only problem he lived at me mums at the time, she turned the dog into a cuddly toy about as agressive as a teddy bear.  Lovly dog stupid brother.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2006, 01:29:56 pm »
Our dog has started snapping and growling at people, but it's not just strangers, he has done it to me twice as well. He's a bull mastiff and is 2 years old. We've had him since he was a pup and he's never been badly treated or anything. He is spoilt so I thought maybe that's why. At first we thought it might be his food so we stopped giving him our left overs and made sure he only had the dried food that the vets recommended. But he did it again to me the other day. I don't think he is meaning to be aggressive because his tail wags as soon as he does it but I'm worried about him going too far if anyone different comes round. Just wondering if you've got any thoughts?

Which dried food has the vet recommended for you?  Is he neutered?

If he's wagging his tail, it doesn't necessarily mean he's happy.  ;)

He may (inadvertently) got the signal from you that he needs to protect you.  This can come because they've been spoiled too much, and he's elevated himself up the pack order, and feels he needs to be in charge.

To solve this, you need the help of an accomplice.  They need to come round to your house, and when he starts barking and being silly, both of you completely ignore him.  No eye contact, no stroking - completely ignore him.  If he stands behind you, walk away from him.  You and your accomplice should talk normally and interact with each other, but ignore him.

When he calms down and is a good lad, you can give him plenty of praise.  The more he learns that strangers are good, the less likely he is to do it again.

On walks, take a toy, or treats with you.  When you see people approach, ask him to sit (or do anything FOR YOU), and give him the toy/treat when he's done it.  Basically, you want him to look to you for what happens.  You're giving him something to do so he doesn't have to guard you - you're in charge.  You can practise getting him to do stuff for you in the garden before you try it out on a walk.

If he still does this when you're on a walk and you've tried to get him to do something for you, say nothing, but turn around and go straight home as soon as he does it.  This may sound silly, but if you carry on your walk, he still gets his reward.  It's just like not taking kids to the park if they're naughty.  After a few times, he'll realise that every time he's silly he doesn't get his walk.

Hope that helps.. let me know how you get on.

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:52 pm »
Yeah a few years ago my brother bought himself a mastiff to look hard, only problem he lived at me mums at the time, she turned the dog into a cuddly toy about as agressive as a teddy bear.  Lovly dog stupid brother.

;D

Offline Beni

• The Original Grass
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2006, 01:39:04 pm »
All our dogs here eat much less when it's hot, so that is very much a possibility  forgot to ask what kind of dog he is...

With his food, try putting down a tin of Butcher's Tripe Mix in his bowl, with no dry food.  In the hot weather, dry food makes them drink more, whereas wet food means they get moisture in the food too.  If that doesn't work, try Chappie instead - it's very bland, just in case he's got a tummy upset.

If he loses a lot of weight or stops drinking, get him to the vet immediately.  Dogs can survive for prolonged peroids on little amounts of food as long as they have plenty of water (their metabolism is that of a scavenger, and are able, like Wolves, to go for safely for periods without eating).  Some of that can depend on breed, though.

It could be that the first day he didn't eat his dinner he realised you guys started giving him some nice food from your plates...sometimes it's not really that they won't eat, but more that he's trying to only eat the tidbits you're giving him...  He may have learned that if he doesn't eat his dinner, you'll give him some of yours.

Another trick is to put the dog food on a plate instead, and leave it in his reach, but not where he'd usually eat it.  Dogs love food if it's stolen!
Cheers mate thanks a lot,much appreciated......will keep you posted.

BAN HARPER

Offline Jo-YNWA-

• Main Stander
  • RoboCrouch
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2006, 01:39:49 pm »
He's not neutered but it's something we're looking into. I can't remember the name of the food but he doesn't like it. He went on hunger strike for a day until he was too hungry and had to eat it, so I'm going to look at the food you have mentioned above and see if he likes that instead.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2006, 01:40:51 pm »
Which dried food has the vet recommended for you?  Is he neutered?

How would you even ask a vet whether he's been neutered, never mind just knowing straight off?

:D
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline trigger

• sexist and shallow
  • Legacy Fan
  • The romans invented the knob on a stick
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006, 01:41:35 pm »
Rox ...is this you??

Frankly if your team is mentioned in a Liverpool song, you should be chuffed

Offline Rox

• Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 01:43:16 pm »
How would you even ask a vet whether he's been neutered, never mind just knowing straight off?

:D

You can tell by the way they use their walk,
A womanly stance and squeaky talk.

;D