Author Topic: Gladiators (2024 BBC reboot + Jet's millennium barn dance updates)  (Read 721 times)

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Do you feel the power of the Gladiator? By which I mean, anyone else watching this, in the BBC 1 Saturday primetime slot? We're currently partway through the quarterfinals, with I think 4 episodes left to go.

I suppose it may have quite a niche nostalgia age, I remember watching the ITV run when it started at the age of about 11, but I'd stopped watching long before it finished. I've spoken to cousins and colleagues all around 5 years older than me who remember hating the 90s show as teenagers and as such have no interest in a reboot. Whether a new generation of kids are interested, no idea. Don't know any. I know Sky attempted a reboot some time back that was a failure, never saw it myself.

Anyway, it's a pretty faithful homage to the old show, although the new gladiators look like they could properly batter the 90s ones, I guess fitness has come a long way since the days of Mr Motivator et al. In the place of "Big Bad" Wolf you now have two of the male gladiators showing a bit of personality - Viper is angry and cheats; and Legend is obsessed by his own greatness, even when underperforming. Most of the other gladiators get a chance to speak after events but generally give praise to the contenders.

The biggest disappointment (if you ignore Ulrika Jonson shrieking about the lack of cheerleaders being too 'Woke') is the lack of variety in events, they've only brought back a few of the old events (Duel, Hang Tough, Gauntlet & The Wall) and added some new ones they seem to prefer. Sadly we no longer have the big hamster balls or the one with the tennis ball cannon. Maybe next year.

Oh yeah, and the presenting team of Bradley Walsh & his son are a bit rubbish. But as they only pop in between the events I can live with it - there's probably a glut of decent sports-based presenters out there who would be a better fit though.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Gladiators (2024 BBC reboot + Jet's millennium barn dance updates)
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 09:42:00 am »
I started watching it but tapped out after two episodes and have caught little bits of it in passing since then.  Legend is destined for pro wrestling.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 09:55:21 am »
I love that my young nephews and nieces are obsessed with it. And I love that they’ve just kept the same format as before.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 10:47:31 am »
The Gladiators are all a bit naff at the events themselves which takes something away from the show, although I'm sure they'll improve if they make more seasons.

Apparently the studio is much smaller than last time which is the reason why some events aren't included, and the budget is less.

I started watching it but tapped out after two episodes and have caught little bits of it in passing since then.  Legend is destined for pro wrestling.

He was already a pretty big YouTuber.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 10:55:50 am »

He's a youtuber with 2.5million subscribers or something, explains why he has a decent presence on camera already! Doing pretty well for himself.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 11:34:11 am »
I'd watch it if Alan Partridge was the commentator

Online Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 06:35:37 pm »
He's a youtuber with 2.5million subscribers or something, explains why he has a decent presence on camera already! Doing pretty well for himself.

I had no idea who these people are but he was apparently a PE teacher who went part time in 2017 to concentrate on his Youtube channel. Quite the career move it's led to!

In terms of the other talent they do seem to lean on Sabre & Fury in the womens events, the mens are a bit more mixed but Nitro seems to be involved a lot.

The Gladiators are all a bit naff at the events themselves

In some ways yes, and it's annoying that in Gauntlet about 90% of the contenders get to the end without much drama. Duel seems a lot tougher but you get random bouts where the gladiator just stands there and barely tries to get any hits in, I think that was Fire who did that. And then the Edge seems to either go really badly for the contender or they're up against Legend, who ambles around trying to get himself set back up as they bomb past him. Either that or the gladiator commits themselves to a tackle and goes flying off themselves.

I'm not sure if the randomness of how challenging each event is makes the show more entertaining or not, it wouldn't be that watchable if you saw absolute superhumans wreck the contenders in each event and end up with scores of 4-2 every week.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 06:53:26 pm »
I've watched a few episodes & quite enjoyed them, it feels like hamarge back to the original 90s series, some of the events could be refined like no doubling back allowed on The Edge, the last event feels to easy compared with the original series too.

I know they're setting up Legend to be the bad guy, but no one will beat Wolf for the original bad guy.

Also i see Mark Clattenburg is the referee for the series.
#Sausages

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2024, 07:14:21 pm »
Also i see Mark Clattenburg is the referee for the series.

Already been Squiresed:

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2024, 08:05:53 pm »
Watched one and caught a bit of another, it was a bit crap to be honest. The Gladiators are a bit shit, on Gauntlet the contenders just run straight through them, didn't think much of them in other games too
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2024, 08:45:30 pm »
Its some fun saturday night entertainment and kids seem to love it, so it really does the job.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2024, 08:47:20 pm »

He is an incredibly popular Youtuber. He did some promotional stuff for the company I work for and unlike quite a lot of Youtubers, he is quite a nice guy.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2024, 11:12:15 pm »
Went a few times to watch the first iteration about 30 years ago (Wolf, Jet etc) and it was boss.

Used to be in the NIA in Birmingham which was a massive arena like the MEN. Tickets were all free and it was a great day out. My eldest was about 6 at the time and he loved it.

Scouse girl called Eunice won the whole thing. The final was hilarious - her arl fella worked at Fords and there were thousands of us supporting her. The amount of ale smuggled in was epic. It was like a Euro away 😄

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2024, 11:27:41 pm »
Watched one and caught a bit of another, it was a bit crap to be honest. The Gladiators are a bit shit, on Gauntlet the contenders just run straight through them, didn't think much of them in other games too

The gladiators are letting them through because it’s family entertainment. There was a week where one of the gladiators lost the bap with a contestant and hit him so hard he end up back at the entrance. It wouldn’t work if they went full pelt.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2024, 11:48:03 pm »
The gladiators are letting them through because it’s family entertainment. There was a week where one of the gladiators lost the bap with a contestant and hit him so hard he end up back at the entrance. It wouldn’t work if they went full pelt.

They used to though & it worked.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2024, 09:44:05 am »
Went a few times to watch the first iteration about 30 years ago (Wolf, Jet etc) and it was boss.

Used to be in the NIA in Birmingham which was a massive arena like the MEN. Tickets were all free and it was a great day out. My eldest was about 6 at the time and he loved it.

Scouse girl called Eunice won the whole thing. The final was hilarious - her arl fella worked at Fords and there were thousands of us supporting her. The amount of ale smuggled in was epic. It was like a Euro away 😄

Think she ended up becoming a Gladiator didn't she?

Big fan of Sabre in the new one, she's uh...good at Duel.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 10:32:07 am »

I remember that.  She went on to be a stunt woman in some Hollywood films, and then returned as a gladiator, herself.  She was a kickboxer, if I remember correctly.

She was great!

The gladiators of the past, seemed a lot better, than the ones now.  Gauntlet used to be brutal, now it's just  too easy.  Perhaps, the old glads were more roided up, than the new ones...?

Some of the old events were better, too.  Saying that, I'm still enjoying the new series, though.

Sabre is spot on.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:36:54 am by Red-Soldier »

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2024, 06:49:11 pm »
1st semi final yesterday and they've tweaked a couple of the events, the time available for Gauntlet is now only 20 seconds (they still all made it) and it's now only 2pts per Edge crossing, probably to combat things like the Gladiator falling off or in this case getting injured, as a couple of people racked up big scores.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2024, 01:09:50 pm »

Think the original gauntlet had five Gladiators?

Online Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #19 on: April 1, 2024, 05:18:58 pm »
I was disappointed to see the army bloke win the final as he's been one of the most boring contenders (and him pulling out of the Gauntlet in one of the earlier rounds shouldn't have been rewarded) but what can you do. I suppose on the flipside the wrestler suddenly appeared in the quarter finals due to injury and didn't have a heat himself, so that would have been a travesty too.

They were asking during the closing credits for applicants for a 2nd series, any volunteers from here? (definitely not me)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 1, 2024, 06:17:15 pm »

Only just seen this reply. In the original Gladiators, they used to knock the shit out of the contestants, that was part of it, you had to be bloody good to beat them.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Original

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #21 on: April 4, 2024, 08:19:45 am »

Eunice Huthart, was working in maccies in town at the time.  Became Angelina Jolie's best mate and Godmother to one of her kids