Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3457591 times)

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Wuhan Coronavirus
« Reply #720 on: February 28, 2020, 06:29:37 pm »
Some lady called Corona who is Holland is thinking of changing her name as well.

Keep us updated as this story develops!

Offline The Last Known Survivor

• Anny Roader
« Reply #721 on: February 28, 2020, 06:30:45 pm »
Just seen iceland have had their first confirmed case today.

Brilliant I am heading there next Thursday

Just back🤐

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #722 on: February 28, 2020, 06:42:27 pm »
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #723 on: February 28, 2020, 07:10:10 pm »
The measures taken to control this in China were pretty draconian once they got going. The problem was the initial response. I don’t see the possibility of entire cities being locked down in Europe to contain this, which is what the Chinese have done eventually.

And Europe being better set up? If anything, people in Europe and the US have no appreciation of what proper personal hygiene should be. Case in point, many expats in HK refuse to wear masks because they think it won’t prevent them from catching it. But the point is that it will reduce the chance of them giving it to other people if they got it. You don’t need to show any symptoms to be able to pass this around, it can be passed on even during it’s incubation stage. In fact you can have it and not get sick from it.

This lackadaisical behaviour stems from the fact that Westerners think they are better educated about this and thus think they are better suited to control it. But honestly, comments like yours is exactly why the virus is still on the rise in Europe 12 weeks after it started when there should have been more effective education and perhaps a more somber and serious attitude to this in the first place.

Firstly there’s no need for the personal dig - there’s several reason why this virus is spreading and ‘comments like mine’ is in no way one of them.

I am in no way suggesting that Westerners are in any way better educated, and certainly not in medicine - I’m a lawyer, I know fuck all about medicine although i like to think that I know a good amount about personal hygiene. On the subject of hygiene in Asia, I’ve been to south east Asia before and there’s many glowing things to say about the areas that I visited but ‘hygiene’ wouldn’t be one of them. No idea if that extends to China as I’ve never been but I think it’s a fair summary to suggest that the world could do better general on hygiene, both personal and in broader terms (such as food markets.)

The reason I would hope that Europe would be better placed to deal with it is because Europe has had 3 months warning, unlike China.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #724 on: February 28, 2020, 07:34:20 pm »
Another English person has contracted the virus and crucially its been passed on by someone else locally.

Offline davidlpool1982

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: February 28, 2020, 07:55:11 pm »
Plus side, if this really does takeover the planet, fellow introverts and argrophobia sufferers of the world will suvive!

Wouldn't help for long mind, going outside and rebuilding society sounds a bit much. Think I'll just stay in and watch the blank tv screen.  ;D

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #726 on: February 28, 2020, 08:34:16 pm »

Offline Durlmints

• Kicks Ass. Categorically denies being the now infamous antihero 'Chris from Wavertree'. Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. Who knows? Henry the Mild Mannered Janitor? COULD BEEEE!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Mané & Salah, your defence is terrified!
« Reply #727 on: February 28, 2020, 08:38:37 pm »
Crows attacked a pensioner in Hamburg after she mimicked a crow's call.
You claim a Wagon Wheel is a biscuit and you have the audacity to stick a Kit Kat in goal? You sir are a du

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: February 28, 2020, 08:39:40 pm »
Some lady called Corona who is Holland is thinking of changing her name as well.
Quite a few Women in the US were none too plussed about the rise of 'ISIS'. Unfortunate. And, going way off topic, a friend of mine once taught a boy called Dwain Pipe; my all-time favourite silly name.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #729 on: February 28, 2020, 08:41:45 pm »
Keep us updated as this story develops!
(Corona) Lite relief, tis all.
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #730 on: February 28, 2020, 08:54:06 pm »

Offline Rhi

• Rhisuscitated
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #731 on: February 28, 2020, 09:09:45 pm »
Sorry mate, didn't see the warnings.  :)

:thumbup
“Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless, who strove and worried so that others could share the glory, and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say 'We're Liverpool'.” - Bill Shankly

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #732 on: February 28, 2020, 09:51:03 pm »
I’ve been  using hand sanitiser for a year or so due to were I work every day,  so do a job finish and get in my van and put a bit on , repeat a few times  a day depending on the calls but everywhere I’ve tried here in Liverpool has sold out ( boots , Sainsbury’s , Tesco etc ) , went to Madrid last week nothing in either Heathrow or Madrid airport

Massive shortage. Luckily I bought some last month when I first heard of the virus. Don’t have many, so had a look today and couldn’t find any in town.

Did a big shop last week for supplies in case there’s any shortages soon. Nothing wrong with being prepared. It means you can plan without panic buying stuff others need more than you.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #733 on: February 28, 2020, 09:54:03 pm »
Over 80,000 cases now. Nearly 2900 deaths.

It's getting worse. Hopefully they can contain it in the next few weeks.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Impact will be more on large events and social gatherings getting cancelled around Europe. Of course the money men are already doing their thing in the market and causing it to crash. Big news also that Saudi has suspended visitors from/to the holy sites until further notice. Parts of Northern Italy and China under strict curfew. They don't do this lightly.

Have to take some of the news with a pinch of salt over here though. Take precautions that you normally do.

Unfortunately, to have any chance of containing it, large events may need to be postponed or cancelled. You need to disrupt the disease network. Flights and large gatherings are major nodes.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: February 28, 2020, 10:09:26 pm »
New Zealand has just confirmed our first case. A person in their 60s, NZ citizen who had travelled from Iran. Rather encouragingly, they had followed all the protocols - self-isolated after feeling unwell on the plane (wearing a mask), called the Healthline and took the advice, arrived at Auckland Hospital by private vehicle with all family wearing masks to be greeted by the prepared emergency team and is now recovering well in a negative pressure room.

Employment laws are pretty robust here in NZ and whilst my board took the decision to pay all staff normally even if they have to self-isolate or feel sick (really, why would we do anything else?) we also took legal advice on all options. That advice was that any attempt to send people home without normal pay when they were capable of working, would be treated by the Employment Relations Authority as 'unjustified suspension' and lead to a world of hurt. (Hurt and Humiliation is the term here that allows the ERA to penalise bad employer decisions on top of any salary loss).

I'm not sure of how things are in the UK any more with the impacts of Brexit and a Tory government. Probably still have legal recourse if you are 'locked out' so to speak?

I fear that if this thing is going to get out of control anywhere, it will be the US. Employees have precious little protection and no affordable healthcare provision - and their response is now being led by VP Pence, who distrusts 'science'. Even if a vaccine is developed, there are whole swathes of the country that won't take it.
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: February 28, 2020, 10:12:27 pm »
Quite a few Women in the US were none too plussed about the rise of 'ISIS'. Unfortunate. And, going way off topic, a friend of mine once taught a boy called Dwain Pipe; my all-time favourite silly name.

Interesting names I came across in my last job:

Mr Yoda
Teresa Ardis
Teresa Watt
Sunny Sunshine
Number Six (guy was a Prisoner fan, changed his name by deed poll)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #736 on: February 28, 2020, 10:44:51 pm »
Unfortunately, to have any chance of containing it, large events may need to be postponed or cancelled. You need to disrupt the disease network. Flights and large gatherings are major nodes.

Is there much point in doing this on a piecemeal basis though?

If we get continued spread and the UK decides to lock things down then it will slow the disease progression here, but ultimately when the lockdown on travel etc ends you will still have a reservoir of the disease in other countries unless they all take similar measures, and that will flow back into the UK again, once restrictions would be lifted (as they would be due to the economic damage caused).

Even if Europe and the US get their act together and agree unified strong action on this, does anyone have much faith that this can be controlled in less developed parts of the world now?

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: February 28, 2020, 10:50:47 pm »
Is there much point in doing this on a piecemeal basis though?

If we get continued spread and the UK decides to lock things down then it will slow the disease progression here, but ultimately when the lockdown on travel etc ends you will still have a reservoir of the disease in other countries unless they all take similar measures, and that will flow back into the UK again, once restrictions would be lifted (as they would be due to the economic damage caused).

Even if Europe and the US get their act together and agree unified strong action on this, does anyone have much faith that this can be controlled in less developed parts of the world now?

Any delay is massive in helping preparation etc. Delaying a pandemic until spring or summer would take a lot of pressure of the NHS while giving more time for anti viral meds and, eventually, a vaccine.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #738 on: February 28, 2020, 11:06:47 pm »
Any delay is massive in helping preparation etc. Delaying a pandemic until spring or summer would take a lot of pressure of the NHS while giving more time for anti viral meds and, eventually, a vaccine.

No argument from me on that, but equally the kind of restrictions which would be brought in would obviously be very damaging to the economy and personal freedoms, and therefore aren't really feasible to be maintained for the medium to long term in most western democracies. I'm not sure you would get away with locking down a city the size of Wuhan completely in most Western countries for too long.

If you start closing schools alone the knockon impact due to the need to get childcare sorted would start to add up pretty quickly.

There will likely be difficult decisions to be made, and it could be tough to get international unanimity on them.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #739 on: February 28, 2020, 11:12:54 pm »

A Hong Kong professor said it was less about stopping everyone getting it but more flattening the peaks in terms of people getting it at the same time, so that the hospitals do not get overwhelmed.

Hancock mentioned delay in the strategy and thus cancelling events now and delaying the spread of the virus could be an option. At least until the summer.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:25 pm »
Advice for home isolation

Your local health protection team (HPT) and your doctor have agreed that you may stay at home while you wait for the results of tests for COVID-19 (SARS-CoV-2) infection. This is because you do not need to be admitted to hospital and because you have agreed to follow the important instructions described below.
1. Stay at home

You or the person you are caring for should remain in your home, except for getting medical care (see sections 3 and 8 before getting medical care). Do not go to work, school, or public areas, and do not use public transport or taxis until you have been told that is safe to do so.

You will need to ask for help if you require groceries, other shopping or medications. Alternatively, you can order by phone or online. The delivery instruction needs to state that the items are to be left outside, or in the porch, or as appropriate for your home.
2. Separate yourself from other people in your home*

You should stay in a well-ventilated room with a window to the outside that can be opened, separate from other people in your home. Keep the door closed.

Use a separate bathroom from the rest of the household, if available. If you have to share these facilities, regular cleaning will be required. If a separate bathroom is not available, consideration should be given to drawing up a bathroom rota for washing or bathing, with the isolated person using the facilities last, before thoroughly cleaning the bathroom themselves (if able or appropriate*). Ensure the isolated person uses separate towels from other household members, both for drying themselves after bathing or showering and for hand hygiene purposes.

If you live in shared accommodation (university halls of residence or similar) with a communal kitchen, bathroom(s) and living area, you should stay in your room with the door closed, only coming out when necessary, wearing a facemask if one has been issued to you.

If you share a kitchen with others (such as university halls of residence or similar), and if possible, avoid using it whilst others are present. If this is not possible then wear a facemask if you have been issued with one. Take your meals back to your room to eat. Use a dishwasher (if available) to clean and dry your used crockery and cutlery. If this is not possible, wash them by hand using detergent and warm water and dry them thoroughly, using a separate tea towel.

If these recommendations cannot be implemented, then home isolation should be avoided.
3. Call ahead before visiting your doctor

All medical appointments should be discussed in advance with your designated medical contact, using the number that has been provided to you. This is so the surgery or hospital can take steps to minimise contact with others.
4. Wear a facemask if advised to

If you have been provided with facemasks, then you should wear the mask when you are in the same room with other people and when you visit a healthcare provider. If you cannot wear a facemask, the people who live with you should wear one while they are in the same room with you.
5. Cover your coughs and sneezes

Cover your mouth and nose with a disposable tissue when you cough or sneeze. Carers of others undergoing testing for 2019-nCoV infection should use disposable tissues to wipe away any mucus or phlegm after they have sneezed or coughed.

Dispose of tissues into a plastic waste bag (see note 10. below for managing rubbish), and immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds rinse and dry thoroughly. Carers should wash their hands as well as helping the person they are caring for following coughing or sneezing
6. Wash your hands

Wash your hands or assist the person you are caring for in washing their hands. This should be done often and thoroughly with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds, rinse and dry thoroughly. The same applies to those caring for anyone that is being tested for SARS-CoV-2. Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
7. Avoid sharing household items

You should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding or other items with other people in your home when you have used them (or after your child or the person you are caring for has used them). After using these items, wash them thoroughly with soap and water; dishwashers may be used to clean crockery and cutlery.

Laundry, bedding and towels should be placed in a plastic bag and washed once it is known that the tests for SARS-CoV-2 are negative. If this is not possible and you need to wash the laundry see below for further advice on handling laundry.
8. Monitor your symptoms (or the person you are caring for, as appropriate)

Seek prompt medical attention if your illness is worsening, for example, if you have difficulty breathing, or if the person you are caring for symptoms are worsening. If it’s not an emergency, you should call your designated medical contact point using the number that has been provided to you.

If it is an emergency and you need to call an ambulance, inform the call handler or operator that you are being tested for SARS-CoV-2 (or that you are caring for someone being tested for SARS-CoV-2, as appropriate).
9. Do not have visitors in your home

Only those who live in your home should be allowed to stay. Do not invite or allow visitors to enter. If you think there is an essential need for someone to visit, then discuss it with your designated medical contact first. If it is urgent to speak to someone who is not a member of your household, do this over the phone.
10. If you have pets in the household

Try to keep away from your pets. If this is unavoidable, wash your hands before and after contact.
11. Waste

All waste that has been in contact with the individual, including used tissues, and masks if used, should be put in a plastic rubbish bag and tied when full. The plastic bag should then be placed in a second bin bag and tied.

Do not dispose of it or put it out for collection until you know that patient does not have novel coronavirus.

Should the individual test positive, you will be instructed what to do with the waste.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-self-isolation-for-patients-undergoing-testing/advice-sheet-home-isolation

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2020, 11:15:38 pm »
I’ve been  using hand sanitiser for a year or so due to were I work every day,  so do a job finish and get in my van and put a bit on , repeat a few times  a day depending on the calls but everywhere I’ve tried here in Liverpool has sold out ( boots , Sainsbury’s , Tesco etc ) , went to Madrid last week nothing in either Heathrow or Madrid airport

Had maybe five tiny bottles of Carex left in the Bold St Home & Bargain earlier, I picked up a couple but only because I work with some dirty bastards.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2020, 11:20:59 pm »
Had maybe five tiny bottles of Carex left in the Bold St Home & Bargain earlier, I picked up a couple but only because I work with some dirty bastards.
Goes nicely with a dash of Jaegermeister as a chaser
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2020, 11:21:54 pm »
No argument from me on that, but equally the kind of restrictions which would be brought in would obviously be very damaging to the economy and personal freedoms, and therefore aren't really feasible to be maintained for the medium to long term in most western democracies. I'm not sure you would get away with locking down a city the size of Wuhan completely in most Western countries for too long.

If you start closing schools alone the knockon impact due to the need to get childcare sorted would start to add up pretty quickly.

There will likely be difficult decisions to be made, and it could be tough to get international unanimity on them.

Oh, of course. There will be some tough decisions to be made.  Japan has announced a case of reinfection, which could mean a vaccine is unlikely. Ultimately, it may be that we have to get used to the virus. Have we ever come up with a successful coronavirus vaccine?

Everyone washing their hands regularly may be better than any draconian measure in the long term.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: February 28, 2020, 11:22:56 pm »
Yep, I get 24 days so using 10 because I'm being forced to would be a bit of a piss take.

I don't see how, legally, they can say they aren't going to pay us if they're the ones forcing us to take time off.

Even if I was caught stealing or something & suspended, they'd still have to pay me until the investigation was complete.

Almost definitely isn't going to happen but it's still pissed me off  ::)

There are also people out there not able to claim SSP or have any holiday entitlement. Emergency legislation needs to be brought in so these people are paid full wages by the government to take time to quarantine themselves or many will just carry on working and spread the virus.
Yeah it really isn't fair to those people that are being told to stay away from work & claim SSP which isn't a fair comparison to a decent salary & using your holidays will leave you with next to nothing & 9 months+ of the year left!

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #745 on: February 28, 2020, 11:26:12 pm »
Goes nicely with a dash of Jaegermeister as a chaser

;D

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #746 on: February 28, 2020, 11:37:37 pm »
Interesting names I came across in my last job:

Mr Yoda
Teresa Ardis
Teresa Watt
Sunny Sunshine
Number Six (guy was a Prisoner fan, changed his name by deed poll)

I worked for a company which imported from the Far East and, I shit you not, my contact in Hong Kong was called Fanny Pong.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #747 on: February 29, 2020, 12:07:21 am »
A Dwayne Pipe used to work with my Dad and I was in school with someone called Warren Organ!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: February 29, 2020, 12:53:57 am »
A Dwayne Pipe used to work with my Dad and I was in school with someone called Warren Organ!

Ndidi, Tis.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #749 on: February 29, 2020, 01:35:11 am »
OK. One more. Diane O'Rea. There are a number of them. I would hope they are married rather than given names. :)

Someone will tell us off soon. :-X

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: February 29, 2020, 02:33:36 am »
Have you tried Aldi?
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #751 on: February 29, 2020, 02:49:37 am »
Boo hoo all those that might have to lose their paid holidays so they get wages while they are off with this, at least you get that option, I'm self employed so obviously it's work or nothing for me. My only saving grace is I have a few renovations/new builds to tile where as long as I don't have it, (or have had it and recovered) I can go work on these without having contact with no other fucker. Fingers crossed.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: February 29, 2020, 03:08:17 am »
Firstly there’s no need for the personal dig - there’s several reason why this virus is spreading and ‘comments like mine’ is in no way one of them.

I am in no way suggesting that Westerners are in any way better educated, and certainly not in medicine - I’m a lawyer, I know fuck all about medicine although i like to think that I know a good amount about personal hygiene. On the subject of hygiene in Asia, I’ve been to south east Asia before and there’s many glowing things to say about the areas that I visited but ‘hygiene’ wouldn’t be one of them. No idea if that extends to China as I’ve never been but I think it’s a fair summary to suggest that the world could do better general on hygiene, both personal and in broader terms (such as food markets.)

The reason I would hope that Europe would be better placed to deal with it is because Europe has had 3 months warning, unlike China.

I would say this, and you are totally missing my point, is that my view as someone who spends a lot of time everywhere, that personal hygiene is lacking in many places, including in western countries. I can bet you if you go to the pub tonight that at least 9 out of 10 blokes going to the loo will not wash their hands properly, nor will many people who head out to restaurants to eat wash their hands before a meal. It’s because people aren’t taking this seriously enough, it’s not about your experience in a wet market somewhere in Asia.

We do that religiously in HK now, even though we only have 93 cases out of a population of 7 million in a densely packed area. Because of our experience with SARS and all the flu’s after that we have a proper appreciation of what it takes to prevent this from spreading. We also have wet markets that are dirty and looking unhygienic. But ever since the epidemic started, there’s been disinfection and cleaning in all those places, people have generally stayed away from large gatherings, schools were closed etc. Our government has been slow to respond, but oddly enough the paranoia we are experiencing is helping this virus from spreading. I do not sense that in places like Europe, except perhaps discrimination and indignation of other people from countries tied to the virus.

Offline Bostik Triangle

• Has left the building
  • Main Stander
« Reply #753 on: February 29, 2020, 03:25:41 am »
British man dies from coronavirus in Japan

Diamond Princess in the Yokohama port

At least 621 people were infected on the Diamond Princess cruise ship

A British man who had been on board the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship has died from coronavirus, Japan's Health Ministry says.

He is the first British person to die from Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

The Foreign Office said it is investigating the reports.

Surely there's gonna be hell to pay over this.

Not followed the story day to day but got the impression the passengers were just shut in their cabins, given food and water, and abandoned to their fate.

'Quarantine' sounds sort of comforting in a way that 'prison' doesn't, but what's the difference?

If Johnson wasn't sat on his arse with his trotters up those Brits could have been flown home weeks ago.

I've worked in companies that had contingency sites that people could go and work at, business as usual, if our building got taken out by terrorism or whatever.

So where's the national emergency quarantine site? There isn't one. Just kick a load of nurses out of their digs at Arrowe Park. Pathetic. Third world country level of pathetic. Worse. It's not like we haven't got the money to build one.

If you can't actually be treated as there's no vaccine, all that sticking you in Arrowe Park etc is gonna do is make sure you're as comfortable as possible (try to keep your breathing as clear as poss etc) until they can dispose of your body, or hopefully you walk out the door, but sure these people would rather die in their own country in hospital than be locked up in a ship's cabin on the other side of the planet.

Must be bloody terrifying.

Government have deliberately denied their own citizens repatriation and access to medical treatment. To me that looks like a kind of institutional manslaughter. Lawyers gonna be all over this, surely.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #754 on: February 29, 2020, 03:51:12 am »
Wonder why Italy and Iran have had such a significantly high amount of cases?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: February 29, 2020, 05:32:25 am »
I would say this, and you are totally missing my point, is that my view as someone who spends a lot of time everywhere, that personal hygiene is lacking in many places, including in western countries. I can bet you if you go to the pub tonight that at least 9 out of 10 blokes going to the loo will not wash their hands properly, nor will many people who head out to restaurants to eat wash their hands before a meal. It’s because people aren’t taking this seriously enough, it’s not about your experience in a wet market somewhere in Asia.

We do that religiously in HK now, even though we only have 93 cases out of a population of 7 million in a densely packed area. Because of our experience with SARS and all the flu’s after that we have a proper appreciation of what it takes to prevent this from spreading. We also have wet markets that are dirty and looking unhygienic. But ever since the epidemic started, there’s been disinfection and cleaning in all those places, people have generally stayed away from large gatherings, schools were closed etc. Our government has been slow to respond, but oddly enough the paranoia we are experiencing is helping this virus from spreading. I do not sense that in places like Europe, except perhaps discrimination and indignation of other people from countries tied to the virus.

With all due respect the ‘9 out of 10 people in a pub’ comment is a baseless guess. Hygiene the world over isn’t what it should be as I noted previously.

Secondly I’m not missing your point at all, in the first post you eluded to discrimination about countries tied to the virus and in this post you’re explicitly referencing it. At no stage have I even hinted at that, I’ve just made the (fair) point that if one country is given months to react to something then they stand a better chance of reacting well to it than one which has been given 0 months to react to it.

Just do yourself a favour lad and cut the paranoid shite about the world being against you. Whilst I’m
Sure there are many idiots that do share the view that you’re concerned about, I’m not one of them and I don’t appreciate being accused of being one of them.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: February 29, 2020, 08:35:19 am »
With all due respect the ‘9 out of 10 people in a pub’ comment is a baseless guess. Hygiene the world over isn’t what it should be as I noted previously.

Secondly I’m not missing your point at all, in the first post you eluded to discrimination about countries tied to the virus and in this post you’re explicitly referencing it. At no stage have I even hinted at that, I’ve just made the (fair) point that if one country is given months to react to something then they stand a better chance of reacting well to it than one which has been given 0 months to react to it.

Just do yourself a favour lad and cut the paranoid shite about the world being against you. Whilst I’m
Sure there are many idiots that do share the view that you’re concerned about, I’m not one of them and I don’t appreciate being accused of being one of them.

I will stick out the olive branch here. I took your comment of ‘Europe being better set up’ as a slight honestly. I don’t like the fact that there are those out there more concerned about football results as compared to people actually becoming sick and dying. It’s not paranoid shite, people really should be taking this seriously. But people on the internet seem to think that stuff like this only happens in Asia and Africa, it is more than overt racism and bigotry.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: February 29, 2020, 08:53:50 am »
Wonder why Italy and Iran have had such a significantly high amount of cases?

Italy think it was around for weeks before they noticed it. The same thing could be happening elsewhere. The first reported case of community transmission has occurred in Surrey, which could mean its already in the U.K. and spreading person to person. Reported cases likely much lower than actual cases.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #758 on: February 29, 2020, 08:58:25 am »
3 more cases in USA and crucially they dont know who patient zero is. So much for your miracle, Trump.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #759 on: February 29, 2020, 08:58:44 am »

If we’re going to be anecdotal, the U.K. is hardly a bastion of personal hygiene. I hardly ever see blokes washing their hands in public toilets. My missus says it’s the same experience in women’s public toilets.  And personal hygiene is now a massively important factor for controlling this virus.