Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 830358 times)

Offline L12

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3280 on: March 26, 2019, 12:16:20 am »
wasted lots of money here, stink bombs( the glass globes), itching powder, fake money, noses, chinese puzzles,sea horses
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:16:58 am by L12 »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3281 on: March 27, 2019, 08:45:20 pm »
Superb shop L12, the window was full of amazing products and it was so fascinating when you stepped through the door.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3282 on: March 27, 2019, 11:04:11 pm »
Superb shop L12, the window was full of amazing products and it was so fascinating when you stepped through the door.

Wasn't it on Dale Street? Did they have another  den in L12 ? Was always a treat to visit, got some Mexican jumping beans in there one time.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3283 on: March 27, 2019, 11:29:17 pm »

Wasn't it on Dale Street? Did they have another  den in L12 ? Was always a treat to visit, got some Mexican jumping beans in there one time.

Back in the 60's-early 70's it used to be tucked in on the right hand side of Moorfields as you walked up to Tithebarn Street towards Exchange Station, just about where Moorfields Station was later built back then and is now.

I think that photo is of it when it was at that place.

It may well then have moved to Dale Street when the original premises got demolished for the Station construction but I can't confirm.

It was a great little shop for every mischievous schoolboy and prankster.

I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3284 on: March 28, 2019, 07:28:21 am »
Back in the 60's-early 70's it used to be tucked in on the right hand side of Moorfields as you walked up to Tithebarn Street towards Exchange Station, just about where Moorfields Station was later built back then and is now.

I think that photo is of it when it was at that place.

It may well then have moved to Dale Street when the original premises got demolished for the Station construction but I can't confirm.

It was a great little shop for every mischievous schoolboy and prankster.

Showing my lack of age there , I am sure it was on Dale St near the courts in the 80s and 90s. Pranking, wigs and itching powder sadly less in demand these days.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3285 on: March 28, 2019, 01:12:13 pm »

Showing my lack of age there , I am sure it was on Dale St near the courts in the 80s and 90s. Pranking, wigs and itching powder sadly less in demand these days.
Yes, that's my recollection also. Opposite Municipal Buildings.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3286 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:28 pm »
Yes, that's my recollection also. Opposite Municipal Buildings.

That is where I remember it too, when you came off the flyover onto Dale Street, it was on the right hand side. 1970's that would be.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3287 on: March 28, 2019, 04:50:54 pm »
I can remember it being in Moorfields, close to the top on the right side, heading up to Exchange station.
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3288 on: March 28, 2019, 05:06:50 pm »
Angelcake has a few photo's that might clear things up...https://twitter.com/angelcakepics/status/1001748061545222144

I've screenshot'ed them and attached below.

The first one shows where I remember the Wizards being, just about where that canopy is on the right hand side looking up to Exchange and it even looks like it might be a school lad in shorts that may well be peering in the window. That's where Moorfields Station now stands

The second shot has some detail about the (original) shop in Moorfields being purchased by the Corpy for the redevelopment in 71 and in the text it also mentions that it then relocated to Lord Street Arcade before moving back to Moorfields in '74 (I think 1924(!) is actually a misprint).

The third shows what I suspect was the 'new' Moorfields location on the other side of the road that some of you remember it being in.

The Mini seems to be an O or P reg, hard to tell, which dates it to mid 70's, so it would fit.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3289 on: March 28, 2019, 07:30:54 pm »
Gully, as far as I can make out the reg number of the Mini is LBG845R which a Liverpool/Bootle plate from 76/77, if my memory serves me right.

The Mini looks like it is suspiciously parked outside of the medical supplies shop which sold gentleman's accoutrements for the weekend. The man who ran it must have been a registered medical practitioner because he wore a white coat, so I've been told.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3290 on: March 29, 2019, 05:19:49 pm »
Angelcake has a few photo's that might clear things up...https://twitter.com/angelcakepics/status/1001748061545222144

I've screenshot'ed them and attached below.

The first one shows where I remember the Wizards being, just about where that canopy is on the right hand side looking up to Exchange and it even looks like it might be a school lad in shorts that may well be peering in the window. That's where Moorfields Station now stands

The second shot has some detail about the (original) shop in Moorfields being purchased by the Corpy for the redevelopment in 71 and in the text it also mentions that it then relocated to Lord Street Arcade before moving back to Moorfields in '74 (I think 1924(!) is actually a misprint).

The third shows what I suspect was the 'new' Moorfields location on the other side of the road that some of you remember it being in.

The Mini seems to be an O or P reg, hard to tell, which dates it to mid 70's, so it would fit.

Never expected that from you, there was never an 'O' registration, jumped from N to P.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3291 on: March 29, 2019, 07:19:42 pm »
Never expected that from you, there was never an 'O' registration, jumped from N to P.
;D  Indeed, when is gulley ever mistaken.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3292 on: March 29, 2019, 10:37:44 pm »
;D  Indeed, when is gulley ever mistaken.

Frequently.

I just normally get away with nobody noticing.  ;)

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3293 on: March 30, 2019, 08:32:37 am »
A wizard can have any reg he likes.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3295 on: May 7, 2019, 09:42:57 am »
Maybe looking towards Renshaw st & the Grand Central?
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3296 on: May 7, 2019, 10:32:38 am »

I think it's a warehouse, those middle doors on each floor, and I'm guessing by the way the light is hitting the photo, perhaps the shot could have been taken around here so that it was possibly behind on Parr Street.

Can't find anything there on streetview these days nor via Google for old warehouses/blitz damage etc.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3297 on: May 7, 2019, 11:31:24 am »
Maybe looking towards Renshaw st & the Grand Central?
It certainly looks to be over in that direction. But would so much of it be visible from ground level? I don't know.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3298 on: May 7, 2019, 11:59:06 am »

I think it's a warehouse, those middle doors on each floor, and I'm guessing by the way the light is hitting the photo, perhaps the shot could have been taken around here so that it was possibly behind on Parr Street.

Can't find anything there on streetview these days nor via Google for old warehouses/blitz damage etc.

Do you reckon that’s all the same building Gulley? Even the part with knobs on? Certainly looks to be taken from that central part of Dukey.
That shop didn’t look like it took much demolishing.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3299 on: May 7, 2019, 12:05:57 pm »
The warehouse looking building and the one with the spire are two different buildings aren’t they? The spire one being behind the warehouse.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3300 on: May 7, 2019, 12:29:17 pm »
The warehouse looking building and the one with the spire are two different buildings aren’t they? The spire one being behind the warehouse.

I think it's the same building. It would be a quite remarkable coincidence of alignment if it wasn't.

The eleborate bit at the top is probably to enclose the  'jigger loft' (something I learn't from here. Pity there's no pictures showing..), the place that held the hoist mechanism for lifting and lowering stuff from the storage floors. That round hole is probably where the hoist would poke out from.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3301 on: May 7, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »
Not much help from this photo taken 6 years later, although the lamps compare nicely. I assume the whitened bottom part is a black-out requirement, but why the white sections on the glass?
Not many 2 storey buildings though.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3302 on: May 7, 2019, 05:11:34 pm »

Not sure on that. I initially thought the whitewash(?) inside the lamp might be a method of shielding the light but early black out regulations involved absolutely no street lights being lit at all. Perhaps the was just an attempt at a light diffusing method tried out before the war.
Also, most pics I've seen of the blackout era seem to have black and white stripes on the lamp bases and other street furniture though perhaps it was variably applied, down to the local corporations and paint availability. Needs a bit of research to be definitive.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3303 on: May 7, 2019, 07:24:44 pm »
Not sure on that. I initially thought the whitewash(?) inside the lamp might be a method of shielding the light but early black out regulations involved absolutely no street lights being lit at all. Perhaps the was just an attempt at a light diffusing method tried out before the war.
Also, most pics I've seen of the blackout era seem to have black and white stripes on the lamp bases and other street furniture though perhaps it was variably applied, down to the local corporations and paint availability. Needs a bit of research to be definitive.

All electric by this time I assume? Not that it's relevant.

The original pic: was it taken from the corner of a street? looks like to me. If so there is only one street at that end of Duke st(west side) that doesn't lead across to a street on the opposite side, that's York* street.
Line of sight from there would take you through that Art Deco? car park and through Wolstenholme Sq/Parr St.

*Kent has been replaced by York in the above

« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:02:14 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3304 on: May 7, 2019, 10:10:33 pm »
All electric by this time I assume?

Possibly not. I remember being with my Dad in a car one evening somewhere around that part of town in about 1960 and watching a lampman lighting what seemed very similar street lights.

I found this ... https://en-gb.facebook.com/LiverpoolStreetLightingMuseum/

It seems that the move to convert the gas lights to electric started around '47

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3305 on: May 24, 2019, 09:08:59 pm »
I've scoured the Internet for a picture, or sketch, of the Rosalind street Wesleyan methodist church in Kirkdale, to no avail.
It was built in 1877 and lasted til the second world war when, I think, it was bombed.
My wife is doing her family tree and some of her relatives were baptised there in the early 1900's.
Any help in tracing down an image would be greatly appreciated  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3306 on: May 24, 2019, 11:01:47 pm »

Yes, sadly it seems to have been lost in the blitz ... https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Kirkdale/index.html

From Google it seems to have been known to have been either in Bootle or Kirkdale. depends on what search criteria you use, ie take out the 'Wesleyan' and you get slightly different results.

I've had a quick looksee around but nothing is coming up on images despite various search variations though I'll persist for a while, it's a challenge...

Annoyingly, there probably is an old photo that features it, or a sketch, though likely it's currently misattributed or under a different title on somewhere like Yo! but it wouldn't be identifiable as such unless we have an original picture of what it looked like.

I know that the enormous scale of the Liverpool Blitz damage was heavily censored at the time but it would be nice to think that the official Blitz damage photos, possibly even of before and after comparisons, still exist somewhere (I'm convinced they would have been taken for official records) but they just haven't yet been located or uploaded yet.

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3307 on: May 24, 2019, 11:25:47 pm »
Yes, sadly it seems to have been lost in the blitz ... https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Kirkdale/index.html

From Google it seems to have been known to have been either in Bootle or Kirkdale. depends on what search criteria you use, ie take out the 'Wesleyan' and you get slightly different results.

I've had a quick looksee around but nothing is coming up on images despite various search variations though I'll persist for a while, it's a challenge...

Annoyingly, there probably is an old photo that features it, or a sketch, though likely it's currently misattributed or under a different title on somewhere like Yo! but it wouldn't be identifiable as such unless we have an original picture of what it looked like.

I know that the enormous scale of the Liverpool Blitz damage was heavily censored at the time but it would be nice to think that the official Blitz damage photos, possibly even of before and after comparisons, still exist somewhere (I'm convinced they would have been taken for official records) but they just haven't yet been located or uploaded yet.
Aye, it does look like a forlorn quest unfortunately.
It would probably be in someones family album somewhere as well as official records.
Thanks for trying anyway mate  :wave
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3308 on: May 25, 2019, 11:08:40 am »
Some info here which may help expand the search..no joy yet regarding a photo unfortunately.

https://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35186&p=455151

Tough ask but maybe there is a shot from Hawthorne/Miranda/Stanley roads which show it?

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3309 on: May 25, 2019, 11:13:28 am »
The Blitz. Britain on fire. Channel 5 Mon/Wed 9 p.m
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3310 on: May 25, 2019, 04:16:37 pm »
wasted lots of money here, stink bombs( the glass globes), itching powder, fake money, noses, chinese puzzles,sea horses

Is that you in the doorway?  :-X
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3311 on: May 25, 2019, 08:38:34 pm »
Some info here which may help expand the search..no joy yet regarding a photo unfortunately.

https://www.bootlehistory.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35186&p=455151

Tough ask but maybe there is a shot from Hawthorne/Miranda/Stanley roads which show it?
Cheers mate; I'll get the better half to get in touch with the fella that runs that site  :wave

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3312 on: May 27, 2019, 11:15:47 am »
Possibly not. I remember being with my Dad in a car one evening somewhere around that part of town in about 1960 and watching a lampman lighting what seemed very similar street lights.

I found this ... https://en-gb.facebook.com/LiverpoolStreetLightingMuseum/

It seems that the move to convert the gas lights to electric started around '47
I can certainly remember the local gaslight lamps in the late 50s, and it was the mid 50s before our landlord saw fit to convert our house to electricity; I won't forget the struggle to lump the accumulator home.

This from Ged Fagan thanks to AngelCake on Twitter, St George's Hall in the background. https://twitter.com/angelcakepics/status/1132786342864330763

« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:20:24 am by Tsar Kastik »

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3313 on: May 27, 2019, 11:43:38 am »

I think some of the street gas lamps may well have lingered on into the late 60's or early 70's.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a Look North while doing my homework that featured the last Lampman on his rounds though it may well have not been in Liverpool.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3314 on: May 27, 2019, 12:30:15 pm »
I think some of the street gas lamps may well have lingered on into the late 60's or early 70's.

I have a vague recollection of seeing a Look North while doing my homework that featured the last Lampman on his rounds though it may well have not been in Liverpool.
Blimey, last week is a vague recollection to me. Maybe I should have done some of that homework stuff!

Different kind of lighting on tonight Channel 5. https://www.channel5.com/show/the-blitz-britain-on-fire/
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 12:32:54 pm by Tsar Kastik »

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3315 on: June 11, 2019, 08:20:50 pm »
Princes Road at the park gates - 1950

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #3316 on: June 11, 2019, 09:11:13 pm »

Tsar, that set of railings in the middle left side of the roundabout next to the lamp post, they look like they could be the entrance to an underground bog perhaps located under that circular slab of concrete. I wonder if it's still under there now or if those small pieces of broken slab on the grass are all that now remains.

And the size of that what I assume is a compressor on wheels for I'm guessing assorted pneumatic drills those lads might be using.

Another thing, any idea what that church was on the right hand side? The brickwork looks quite spectacular.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:13:32 pm by The Gulleysucker »

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #3317 on: June 11, 2019, 09:34:20 pm »
Tsar, that set of railings in the middle left side of the roundabout next to the lamp post, they look like they could be the entrance to an underground bog perhaps located under that circular slab of concrete. I wonder if it's still under there now or if those small pieces of broken slab on the grass are all that now remains.

And the size of that what I assume is a compressor on wheels for I'm guessing assorted pneumatic drills those lads might be using.

Another thing, any idea what that church was on the right hand side? The brickwork looks quite spectacular.

Is the church actually Princes Road Synagogue?

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3318 on: June 11, 2019, 09:40:06 pm »
It was indeed a gents urinal Gulley, you can just see the top step at the far end of the railings. Smelled like an ammonia plant. The church is the Baptist variety on Princes Avenue.
What I'd like to know is where the trams/buses (26,72 and 73) that should be coming in from the right had to go instead.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3319 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:09 pm »
Not long after:

Somewhere on this thread there should be one of the same area with airplanes being transported.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:56:42 pm by Tsar Kastik »