Author Topic: SoccerManager - Looking for new managers  (Read 590633 times)

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Soccer Manager League 2
« Reply #7840 on: September 20, 2017, 11:48:10 am »
Makes sense for him to chose the champions

Or a side who give youth a chance...

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7841 on: September 20, 2017, 01:52:59 pm »
Kinda regretting not throwing in a proper bid actually, just to be part of this insane bidding war. Should've offered some cat like Mboula in exchange, who I wouldn't even have wanted to trade away. Would've been sweating it all day, hoping my bid wasn't the one! The things we do for a sweet, sweet adrenaline rush... :D
I don't think you woulda got him anyway with him previously being on your books. For that reason i don't think Barca will get him either

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7842 on: September 20, 2017, 04:37:02 pm »
Betty got him!

Well done.  :)

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #7843 on: September 20, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »
Betts how about you send Icardi my way, I'll pull out (whey!) and the sacrifice I perform to the SM Gods will be in your name instead of mine. Nailed on victory!

Icardi's gonna look so, SO good playing alongside Luis & Lewa :D

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7844 on: September 20, 2017, 04:47:34 pm »
Betty got him!

Well done.  :)

Move aside Dolberg, there's a new sheriff in town.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:49:39 pm by Betty Blue »
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7845 on: September 20, 2017, 04:53:52 pm »
Icardi's gonna look so, SO good playing alongside Luis & Lewa :D

I only bow to the one true SM God - Fabio Della Giovanna.

Pellegri made the right choice coming to learn from Icardi.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7846 on: September 20, 2017, 04:56:17 pm »
Quite glad I didn't win him because if the last person who bid did get him then we'd all be doing that every bidding war from now on, which could get very tedious.  Haha

So that's two theories out of the window - the smaller teams & last bidding teams have the advantage.

We need more theories.  ;D

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #7847 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:09 pm »
Quite glad I didn't win him because if the last person who bid did get him then we'd all be doing that every bidding war from now on, which could get very tedious.  Haha

So that's two theories out of the window - the smaller teams & last bidding teams have the advantage.

We need more theories.  ;D

It's a complicated algorithm that accounts for a variety of factors. In case anyone's interested it works like this:

Winning team = max [ First team to bid * 0.15 + Lower rated team * 0.30 + Lower Division * 0.20 + Being called PSV * 1,000]

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7848 on: September 20, 2017, 05:02:57 pm »
It's a complicated algorithm that accounts for a variety of factors. In case anyone's interested it works like this:

Winning team = max [ First team to bid * 0.15 + Lower rated team * 0.30 + Lower Division * 0.20 + Being called PSV * 1,000]

;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7849 on: September 20, 2017, 05:13:03 pm »
Congrats Inter. Didn't want him anyway, seriously, but the bragging rights to this battle would have been swell.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7850 on: September 20, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »
Klippity, are you seriously actually going with a 'theme', squad building wise?? After all the complaining you did about themes. 30 or so of your players are 23 and under, and 3 of those older than 23 were signed when you quit for a couple days. Unbelievable stuff from you

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7851 on: September 20, 2017, 05:36:03 pm »
Klippity, are you seriously actually going with a 'theme', squad building wise?? After all the complaining you did about themes. 30 or so of your players are 23 and under, and 3 of those older than 23 were signed when you quit for a couple days. Unbelievable stuff from you

I thought you were going to say an Argentina theme then with my Argies in attack & CM.

No theme here.

I'm signing younger players who can improve and I can trade for better players. 

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7852 on: September 20, 2017, 05:46:49 pm »
I thought you were going to say an Argentina theme then with my Argies in attack & CM.

No theme here.

I'm signing younger players who can improve and I can trade for better players.
I don't care how you manage your squad and wish you well with it, but It most definitely is a theme. Also, ''You're limiting the transfer market which is bad for the world''. You snapping up all the youth all the time means the rest of us are fighting for scraps. You're essentially limiting the market for us. ''oh i'll move them on for better players eventually'' doesn't wash with me either hot stuff. The world is full of quality out there in the externals so needing all them young players to trade down the line isn't exactly necessary. Good luck with it, but you're a 'Theme builder'.
There's no hiding it. I'm on to you. I am on to you my friend

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 05:48:29 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7853 on: September 20, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »
I don't actually care how you manage your squad and wish you well with it, but It most definitely is a theme. Also, ''You're limiting the transfer market which is bad for the world''. You snapping up all the youth all the time means the rest of us are fighting for scraps. You're essentially limiting the market for us. ''oh i'll move them on for better players eventually'' doesn't wash with me either hot stuff. The world is full of quality out there in the externals so needing all them young players to trade down the line isn't exactly necessary. Good luck with it, but you're a 'Theme builder'. There's no hiding it. I'm on to you. I am on to you my friend

Ha, nice try.

I think it's my only real option.  I could maybe get Iniesta off you, but will it mean I'll get promotion?  Nope.

Look at that PSV side I'm competing with in the league, I can't compete with Suarez, Lewandowski etc.  That's without thinking of trying to compete a league up.

I have to buy young players and trade.

It is a bit different to having a team all of the same Nationality.  I was critical of RK's approach, but he's done it all in this world so fancies doing a different approach and his squad look awesome for the medium to long term.  Fair play to him.

I could maybe get an Iniesta off you, the odd other top player.  But even then I'll be struggling massively.  Then in a year or so they'll retire and I lose my best player for nothing.

I have to go for younger players, to attract the good older ones.  Not a theme, it's my strategy.  Get me the right player older than 25 and I'll trade.  If not I'd rather a younger one who could improve and might appeal to someone in the future.

Keep trying Columbo!  ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7854 on: September 20, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
Potato Patato. Put whatever spin you want on it. You don't have to explain. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Like i said good luck, more power to you, why not give it a go but it is a theme, it's a theme, it's a theme and it most certainly is a theme.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7855 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:21 pm »
BTW Klippity, Some teams have quality running through it but that doesn't mean they can compete. Look at Real and their 'win fuck all theme'.....

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7856 on: September 20, 2017, 06:03:36 pm »
Potato Patato. Put whatever spin you want on it. You don't have to explain. I don't think there's anything wrong with it. Like i said good luck, more power to you, why not give it a go but it is a theme, it's a theme, it's a theme and it most certainly is a theme.

What's the theme then because I don't know what it is?

Young players under 23? 

I'm willing to sign older ones.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7857 on: September 20, 2017, 06:04:35 pm »
BTW Klippity, Some teams have quality running through it but that doesn't mean they can compete. Look at Real and their 'win fuck all theme'.....

Ouch!  ;D

He's come 2nd a few times hasn't he?  I'd call that competing.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7858 on: September 20, 2017, 06:06:50 pm »
What's the theme then because I don't know what it is?

Young players under 23? 

I'm willing to sign older ones.
Strategy, theme, same thing. There's a flavour, a vibe to your current set up. Like i say good luck. But it's a theme at the mo. Just saying like. No more complaining about themes :D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7859 on: September 20, 2017, 06:09:45 pm »
Ouch!  ;D

He's come 2nd a few times hasn't he?  I'd call that competing.
;D i'm just bzzing with Kesey. But lets get real here. You don't get silverware for finishing second.

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7860 on: September 20, 2017, 06:09:52 pm »
Strategy, theme, same thing. There's a flavour, a vibe to your current set up. Like i say good luck. But it's a theme at the mo. Just saying like. No more complaining about themes :D

I looked into signing older players a few weeks ago.

But it wasn't worth it.  So I'm sticking with this STRATEGY. 

Give me Iniesta for free to prove it.  ;D

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7861 on: September 20, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
It's funny, I am going with a theme and it will probably take years to pay off if at all but others have tried or are trying to follow the same path. There is no advantage to what I'm doing lads, it's terrible strategy. LM once said that I was playing the game wrong and he's completely right.

I've offered some of the world's best players over the last few months/weeks and hardly any bites. Managers desperate to hang onto a player who will likely play a 10-15 games over the next 2 years or so if they're lucky. I think KL has realised this quicker that most.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:15:10 pm by RK7 »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7862 on: September 20, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »
I looked into signing older players a few weeks ago.

But it wasn't worth it.  So I'm sticking with this STRATEGY. 

Give me Iniesta for free to prove it.  ;D
;D Iniesta is finished. Just look at how him and barca are getting on. Swerve

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7863 on: September 20, 2017, 06:24:27 pm »
It's funny, I am going with a theme and it will probably take years to pay off if at all but others have tried or are trying to follow the same path. There is no advantage to what I'm doing lads, it's terrible strategy. LM once said that I was playing the game wrong and he's completely right.

I've offered some of the world's best players over the last few months/weeks and hardly any bites. Managers desperate to hang onto a player who will likely play a 10-15 games over the next 2 years or so if they're lucky. I think KL has realised this quicker that most.
Years for these young kids to come through, if they ever do. You have a theme but you've been there done that so you can out the feet up so to speak but not sure entirely sold on others doing it. Also, the premiums on young players is insane. Some are terrified to lose a young player like young players are never gonna come along again :D
some hold onto a player specifically to see how they'll fare, fair enough

do you want not new spanish flavour Carlos' sexual ice cream' Soler for Pjanic?? The new David Silva, again
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 06:29:20 pm by Lawnmowerman »

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7864 on: September 20, 2017, 06:30:21 pm »
Years for these young kids to come through, if they ever do. You have a theme but you've been there done that so you can out the feet up so to speak. The premiums on young players is insane. Some are terrified to lose a young player like young players are never gonna come along again :D

To be fair, I have got hardly any offer for any of my players.

I know lots of them are shortlisted from other teams though.

I started from scratch and now I have some young talent which clubs like. 

I could sign older players but then I might not have some of these younger ones which are appealing. 

The aim is to get older & better players.  But I am not really in a position to do that yet, unless they are really older and near retiring like Iniesta.  So yes I'd rather a young, talented player for now given my position.  Not a theme, just the reality and best strategy for me I feel. 

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7865 on: September 20, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »
Years for these young kids to come through, if they ever do. You have a theme but you've been there done that so you can out the feet up so to speak but not sure entirely sold on others doing it. Also, the premiums on young players is insane. Some are terrified to lose a young player like young players are never gonna come along again :D

do you want not new spanish flavour Carlos' sexual ice cream' Soler for Pjanic?? The new David Silva, again

That's it, a few of us made a theme with youngsters and it's increased their value here, but it doesn't make any sense if you think about it. The game is about numbers, not hype. Take the Dembele or Mbappe  deals,  both of those players will do well to hit 95 and 96 ( players they were traded for) if they do then it will take 5 years maybe? Dembele getting injured will probably prevent him getting a rise in the new year.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7866 on: September 20, 2017, 06:42:35 pm »
To be fair, I have got hardly any offer for any of my players.

I know lots of them are shortlisted from other teams though.

I started from scratch and now I have some young talent which clubs like. 

I could sign older players but then I might not have some of these younger ones which are appealing. 

The aim is to get older & better players.  But I am not really in a position to do that yet, unless they are really older and near retiring like Iniesta.  So yes I'd rather a young, talented player for now given my position.  Not a theme, just the reality and best strategy for me I feel.
Get your slippers on. You've got a long wait

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7867 on: September 20, 2017, 06:44:13 pm »
Get your slippers on. You've got a long wait

Well what's the alternative?  Get some older players and I'll still be in a similar situation.  At best I could be battling it out at the bottom of Div 1 if I sign older players who I could attract.  But then I won't have the young promise I have now, so although the short term would be slightly better, the long term would look much worse.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7868 on: September 20, 2017, 06:46:42 pm »
That's it, a few of us made a theme with youngsters and it's increased their value here, but it doesn't make any sense if you think about it. The game is about numbers, not hype. Take the Dembele or Mbappe  deals,  both of those players will do well to hit 95 and 96 ( players they were traded for) if they do then it will take 5 years maybe? Dembele getting injured will probably prevent him getting a rise in the new year.
Yeah i hopped on Auba. it's a long wait for them to hit those heights. And in those years i could say, sign the next hot thing, and then trade that much sought after hot thing on to you for Dembele or Mbappe when they realised their potential ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7869 on: September 20, 2017, 06:50:47 pm »
Well what's the alternative?  Get some older players and I'll still be in a similar situation.  At best I could be battling it out at the bottom of Div 1 if I sign older players who I could attract.  But then I won't have the young promise I have now, so although the short term would be slightly better, the long term would look much worse.
Mixing it up. You're confusing higher rating with older, like this older player has to be in his late 30s and have a high rating. I'm taking mid to late 20s and 89/90/91 rated. You could easily compete. Currenly there's only two managers in div 2 so you're gonna get promotion and be in div 1 anyway regardless of your squad make up

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7870 on: September 20, 2017, 06:54:43 pm »
Mixing it up. You're confusing higher rating with older, like this older player has to be in his late 30s and have a high rating. I'm taking mid to late 20s and 89/90/91 rated.

For the right player I would.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7871 on: September 20, 2017, 07:06:01 pm »
For the right player I would.
You can get them in the external market. You don't have to trade. I don't get the 'no point letting me youngsters go as i cant compete anyway, i'd need a whole team of high rated players' train of thought. The cups are competitve with anyone having a pop

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7872 on: September 20, 2017, 07:12:03 pm »
You can get them in the external market. You don't have to trade. I don't get the 'no point letting me youngsters go as i cant compete anyway, i'd need a whole team of high rated players' train of thought. The cups are competitve with anyone having a pop

I got Seri on the external market, so I'm looking for them. 

I got criticised for not having patience in the past.  Now I'm getting criticised for having too much patience. Make you minds up.  ;D

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #7873 on: September 20, 2017, 07:17:06 pm »

I don't think you're playing the game wrong. If you were claiming that trading in your older players for younger ones was the best way to win then I'd question your strategy. But you're not doing that. You want the best young players that money can buy and that's completely understandable. Signing the next hot young thing is always going to be more exciting than signing an established player. There's great satisfaction to following a young player's career, as they break through and begin to establish themselves as a star. So after winning more trophies than I'd ever know what to do with, I understand why you'd want to indulge in your youth project.

When you're building up a team with a view to competing though, it's different. I actually completely understand where Klippity's coming from as for the longest time I shared his views regarding old/young players. You're thinking why trade for Iniesta, who'll decline before too long? Might as well hold on to the kids who'll rise and eventually be higher rated than Iniesta. But over time I realised that SM doesn't really work like that, it doesn't move that fast. You end up waiting for rises that only come twice a year. And that's if they ever come, because most kids end up fading into oblivion. So you're better off trading up for higher rated players while your kids are still hot property, and then trusting yourself to replenish your youth team by unearthing the next gem. I absolutely decimated my youth team just last month but after a bit of scouting I've brought some new kids in. None of them are Mbappe/Donnarumma level just yet, but if they keep playing well I'll be able to trade them on and further strengthen my first team. Then I'll scout out some more youngsters. Rinse & repeat.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #7874 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:06 pm »
Where the real game is at though is scouting out the late bloomers who suddenly explode onto the scene and rise very quickly. That's something I've got to get better at myself, and is why I've been taking gambles on Moreno style signings.

Card Cheat is the master at this, he was on to the likes of Kante, Mahrez, Van Dijk, Kane while the rest of us were thinking "are they really that good? are they really worth signing?". That type of player is SM gold dust, as you don't have to wait for years for them to break through like you do with a talented 18 year old.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7875 on: September 20, 2017, 07:20:24 pm »
I got Seri on the external market, so I'm looking for them. 

I got criticised for not having patience in the past.  Now I'm getting criticised for having too much patience. Make you minds up.  ;D
I may not have criticisedyou for not being patient. I am however criticising you for being a theme builder!! :P ;D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7876 on: September 20, 2017, 07:59:02 pm »
Where the real game is at though is scouting out the late bloomers who suddenly explode onto the scene and rise very quickly. That's something I've got to get better at myself, and is why I've been taking gambles on Moreno style signings.

Card Cheat is the master at this, he was on to the likes of Kante, Mahrez, Van Dijk, Kane while the rest of us were thinking "are they really that good? are they really worth signing?". That type of player is SM gold dust, as you don't have to wait for years for them to break through like you do with a talented 18 year old.
Gold dust indeed. Odds of another kante coming along are slimmer than the new mbappe

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #7877 on: September 20, 2017, 08:02:12 pm »
I don't care how you manage your squad and wish you well with it, but It most definitely is a theme. Also, ''You're limiting the transfer market which is bad for the world''. You snapping up all the youth all the time means the rest of us are fighting for scraps. You're essentially limiting the market for us. ''oh i'll move them on for better players eventually'' doesn't wash with me either hot stuff. The world is full of quality out there in the externals so needing all them young players to trade down the line isn't exactly necessary. Good luck with it, but you're a 'Theme builder'.
There's no hiding it. I'm on to you. I am on to you my friend

That picture is deffo LM trying to suss out a way of buying Saul and Asensio .
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7878 on: September 20, 2017, 08:04:30 pm »
''Oooh my precious, no one must have my precious''

No one cares about them. It's all about Pellegri. 9 man battle royal and you don't even know who he is

This one his him when he has realised he has been knocked back......   again !!!

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7879 on: September 20, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
Check out the Taoism part of my thingy name knobjockey.

A river around a stone lad.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi