Author Topic: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez  (Read 775127 times)

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: European and World Champion and all round Big Man Joseph Dave Gomez
« Reply #3840 on: July 9, 2020, 02:06:14 pm »
I think Gomez has the physical attributes to be a great centre back - speed, strength, and he's a good passer to boot (though not quite as good as Matip me thinks). My main issue with Gomez is the decision making, which reminds me of Skrtel and Lovren at their worst. The shirt pulling on opposing strikers at corners, the body hugging of opponents (and not looking at the ball), and the most recent example, grabbing Sterling and giving away the penalty against City (and pls don't say Sterling started it first). He just needs to stop doing these things - it's like in those moments, his brain switches off.

This post reminds me of Fordy at his worst. Absolute hyperbole.

Every decent defender, every single one, does those things as Gomez does them and sometimes you get away with them and sometimes you get punished. He gets away with them a hell of a lot more than he gets punished, as with all top defenders.

The one trait that seems to set the best defenders apart - look at Virgil, Nesta, Cannavaro, Rio, Maldini - is the calmness when defending. They are on top of the situations always, and when they resort to pulling, it's because they are taking one for the team and have made a decision that the foul is necessary in the circumstances. If Gomez can iron out those hare-brained moments, and improve his heading, then he certainly can become a top defender.

Gomez is one of the most laid back defenders I've seen, especially at his age playing at this level (of which there are very few).

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3841 on: July 9, 2020, 02:21:50 pm »
Gomez is one of the most laid back defenders I've seen, especially at his age playing at this level (of which there are very few).

Absolutely this. The mistakes he occasionally makes if anything stem from how laid back he is.

Last night on a couple of occasions he showed some of the same lapses in concentration he was making during his slow start to this season (most memorably the Salzburg game), fortunately not costing a goal.

There was a point where he just inexplicably gave up retreating to prepare to cut out a cross from a dangerous area, exactly like this towards the end of the first half
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1qcAcS4S9s&t=280

And he had forgot to return to the line in time, having a knock on effect on the rest of the defence, like this
https://youtu.be/N1qcAcS4S9s?t=169

I'd have probably wanted an opposition CB sent off for the last man pull towards the end too, but fortunately the game wasn't tight enough for the ref to ref it properly.
« Last Edit: July 9, 2020, 02:23:44 pm by Classycara »

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3842 on: July 9, 2020, 02:24:53 pm »
He's 23, he's been here already 5 years and just getting better. By the time he leaves us he'll have been here over a decade at least.

Offline Silverbird

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3843 on: July 9, 2020, 02:49:36 pm »
This post reminds me of Fordy at his worst. Absolute hyperbole.

Every decent defender, every single one, does those things as Gomez does them and sometimes you get away with them and sometimes you get punished. He gets away with them a hell of a lot more than he gets punished, as with all top defenders.

Yes, every decent defender. Skrtel and Lovren were/are definitely decent defenders. But I thought some of us here want Gomez to be a great/brilliant defender, and you aren't going to be a great one if you are taking these chances and hoping the referee doesn't call you out on it. I very rarely if ever see Virgil pulling shirts, and I am not saying Gomez does that all the time - he does it some of the time, and occasionally, when he gets called out for it, we suffer. The more interesting and valid question perhaps then is whether these "mistakes" are because, as I think, he loses his head in the moment, or as some others have suggested, "lapses in concentration".

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3844 on: July 9, 2020, 02:52:17 pm »
Yes, every decent defender. Skrtel and Lovren were/are definitely decent defenders. But I thought some of us here want Gomez to be a great/brilliant defender, and you aren't going to be a great one if you are taking these chances and hoping the referee doesn't call you out on it. I very rarely if ever see Virgil pulling shirts, and I am not saying Gomez does that all the time - he does it some of the time, and occasionally, when he gets called out for it, we suffer. The more interesting and valid question perhaps then is whether these "mistakes" are because, as I think, he loses his head in the moment, or as some others have suggested, "lapses in concentration".

OK, if you want to play semantics then where I wrote decent please read great/brilliant.

VVD does it loads. I've yet to set a great/brilliant defender who doesn't.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #3845 on: July 9, 2020, 03:00:54 pm »

Have you watched what opposition defenders do to Mo on a regular basis? Most games you watch nowadays have defenders pulling at shirts, most corners you see feature both defenders and attacking players leaning into one another, or pulling each other here, there and everywhere. Van Dijk didn't play as he plays now when he was 23 years old so why would you expect Joe to be any different? As others have said he is laid back, which can sometimes mean he can misjudge an attack from time to time. The problem becomes when people only concentrate on that and not on the good things he also did yesterday. He got two really good blocks in, say nothing of covering for Van Dijk when he was more advanced. It's part of the life of being a defender, oh and Trent also holds people by the shirt are you not worried about him?
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3846 on: July 9, 2020, 03:16:27 pm »
Like every player on earth, he's not a robot and will go through peaks and troughs with his form. What cannot be argued is that he is a very good player who given his age is only going to get better.

Regardless of he plays, his attributes, particularly his pace, make our system work more than any other centre back we have. Put a less error prone but slower centre back in the team instead of him and we would suffer as a result.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3847 on: July 9, 2020, 03:20:18 pm »
Personally I don't worry about his concentration lapses too much because I trust when it really matters he'll be back to his best.

I think his bigger long-term issue is his lack of ability in the air, it's something teams can play on quite a bit (not even necessarily with a target man, but often playing it over him for a pacey player to run onto) and I'm not sure if it's something which can easily be improved or not. To be fair Matip has got a lot better in this regard so perhaps it's something Gomez needs to spend a lot of time working on, but he's a few inches shorter than Matip and VVD so his aerial ceiling is never going to be as high.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3848 on: July 9, 2020, 03:23:35 pm »
Personally I don't worry about his concentration lapses too much because I trust when it really matters he'll be back to his best.

I think his bigger long-term issue is his lack of ability in the air, it's something teams can play on quite a bit (not even necessarily with a target man, but often playing it over him for a pacey player to run onto) and I'm not sure if it's something which can easily be improved or not. To be fair Matip has got a lot better in this regard so perhaps it's something Gomez needs to spend a lot of time working on, but he's a few inches shorter than Matip and VVD so his aerial ceiling is never going to be as high.

Thankfully there are very few attackers faster than him to be able to benefit from a ball over the top.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3849 on: July 11, 2020, 05:03:03 pm »
Concentration issues again, got robbed on the halfway line and bundled into his man to try and salvage it, then I dunno what he was trying to do when he tried to head and kick the ball at the same time towards the end of the game.

Relies too much on his speed to bail him out, I like that there's an arrogance to his game but he'll need to step it up next season if he's going to be the second starting centre back.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3850 on: July 11, 2020, 05:05:51 pm »
VVD misplaced a pass to him in the first half that could have cost us but the Burnley player does nothing with it. Then a long ball Virgil completely misses his attempted volleyed clearance and for their goal could VVD close that ball down better, could he throw his body at it? You see these are legitamte questions we could ask about Virgil but nobody will say that. Thought Joe did well today a few little errors but nothing that was worse than VVD.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3851 on: July 11, 2020, 05:08:09 pm »
Concentration issues again, got robbed on the halfway line and bundled into his man to try and salvage it, then I dunno what he was trying to do when he tried to head and kick the ball at the same time towards the end of the game.

Relies too much on his speed to bail him out, I like that there's an arrogance to his game but he'll need to step it up next season if he's going to be the second starting centre back.

I think thats a load of rubbish to be honest. I didn't think it was a foul, let alone a booking on the halfway line and he just lost the ball in the light second half.

Thought he was fine, as was VVD. They just play the percentages and one of them fell for them to score. Helps when you can grapple and push and pull with no foul being given though

Online Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3852 on: July 11, 2020, 05:08:42 pm »

He just lost the flight of the ball, might have just taken his eye off it for a second and lost his bearings.

He made a mistake for the yellow card, other than that I'm not sure what did wrong today - he bailed out VVD and Robertson in the first half when they each played an uncharacteristically poor pass.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3853 on: July 11, 2020, 05:08:56 pm »
Virgil made more mistakes than Joe today.  ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3854 on: July 11, 2020, 05:11:13 pm »

It certainly doesn't help when both Van Dijk and Robbo overcook passes in their own penalty area, just as well Joe was able to cope with their mistakes.. It seems as if him and Mo are the whipping boys today.  ::)

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3855 on: July 11, 2020, 05:12:17 pm »
He made a couple of daft ones towards the end, nothing which cost us anything. And he was superb up to that point.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3856 on: July 11, 2020, 05:13:43 pm »
Yet theres no bump of the VVD thread. Maybe we have found a new whipping boy? He, like the rest of the team dropped off once they scored. He, like the rest of the team has walked the league, he should be praised but instead some want to nitpick.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3857 on: July 11, 2020, 05:15:59 pm »
For 66 to 68 minutes he was good. And then the whole team started playing bad. I don't think he has performed well recently, but you cant use today's game as an excuse to target him.
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3858 on: July 11, 2020, 05:17:29 pm »
shudder if it was lovren doing the same mistakes.

he does switch off sometimes which is kind of a worry but which defender doesn't. VVD is guilty of that too.

thought he had a decent game. Some good and some bad moments.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3859 on: July 15, 2020, 10:37:46 pm »
Thought he was really really good today, brought the ball out very well, fantastic pace against their quick attackers and generally bossed it. He’s so underrated, even by our own fans, still only 23.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3860 on: July 15, 2020, 10:41:39 pm »
Much better today, feels like the whole defence is taking turns to have shockers.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3861 on: July 15, 2020, 10:42:26 pm »
He was the stand out defender today in control all game.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3862 on: July 15, 2020, 10:44:45 pm »
Much better today, feels like the whole defence is taking turns to have shockers.

The only time I've seen Gomez struggle was when he plays right back.

The calmness and footballing intelligence of the lad is phenomenal. He's 23 years old. If we werent Champions, Madrid and Barcelona would be calling.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3863 on: July 15, 2020, 10:48:07 pm »
Top performance from Joe tonight, shame he had some dodgy defender beside him.

Offline Enders

• Game. Has a thing for Edward Colanderhands
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez! Allez! Allez!
« Reply #3864 on: July 15, 2020, 11:11:33 pm »
Didn't have a bad game, but one of his weak points is that he's not much cop in the air - I swear he lost almost all of his aerial duels under the ball tonight, and its not like Lacazette and Aubamayang are peak Drogba.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Willy Poolman

• Main Stander
  • You'll Never RAWK Alone
« Reply #3865 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:28 am »

I had a good laugh at that. Big Virg might have to take a few bits of advice from Joe. You know, learn to concentrate better, and play to the whistle. Little tips like that.

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #3866 on: July 16, 2020, 09:48:42 am »

This is hilarious for obvious reasons  ;D

But it really saddens me that, had Joe made the mistake VVD made last night, all the good things he did during the match and over the course of the season would've been instantly forgotten. The "Not good enough to partner Virgil" / "We need Koulibaly" brigade would've been out in force.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #3867 on: July 17, 2020, 04:49:31 am »
Joe has played better than VVD in the last 2-3 games. That doesn't make him a better player than VVD, but he's damn good and still on the fast learning curve.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3868 on: August 17, 2020, 09:36:50 am »
The Bournemouth game's on - easy to forget him starting that game at right back to rest Trent.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3869 on: August 17, 2020, 10:35:46 am »
He is one for the future who is already starring today as I think he will be the leagues best defender in a coupe of years alongside Virgil. He just turned 23, has probably had two full seasons written off due to injury since he joined us and still looks like a beast. The lad probably would have 30 England caps to his name if he had better luck but the more experience he gains the better he will become. I was loving his potential back in 2016 as knew he had the makings of a CD and definitely our future Captain in the making as will be here for another ten years hopefully.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #3870 on: August 18, 2020, 01:57:51 pm »
He is one for the future who is already starring today as I think he will be the leagues best defender in a coupe of years alongside Virgil. He just turned 23, has probably had two full seasons written off due to injury since he joined us and still looks like a beast. The lad probably would have 30 England caps to his name if he had better luck but the more experience he gains the better he will become. I was loving his potential back in 2016 as knew he had the makings of a CD and definitely our future Captain in the making as will be here for another ten years hopefully.
Klopp trusts him.
More importantly VVD trusts him.
That’s how good this lad is at 23.
I don’t think VVD would be so calm playing alongside McGuire and he is supposed to be the best English Centre Half at present.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3871 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:04 am »

Has anyone told you you're deluded? Trent is our future captain.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3872 on: August 19, 2020, 12:09:38 pm »
Has anyone told you you're deluded? Trent is our future captain.

Our team is full of Captains and has anyone told you to be a little less warrior on the internet lately
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3873 on: August 19, 2020, 12:41:15 pm »
This is a fantastic listen with Joe being interviewed about his whole football career. From when he started off professionally to the present day, it lasts over an hour but its well worth a listen. He comes over as such a nice lad but a true fighter.

https://youtu.be/kdMS_BjuxPE

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3874 on: August 19, 2020, 01:35:09 pm »
Our team is full of Captains and has anyone told you to be a little less warrior on the internet lately

I wasn't being serious. It was meant in the same tone as this.

It'll come. Meanwhile thanks to Souness, Evans, Houllier, Benitez, Kenny and Rodgers for giving it a go. Your endeavours were appreciated.
You missed one out there.

Ronnie Moran was caretaker for a bit.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3875 on: September 13, 2020, 10:21:19 am »
Personally think he’s criminally underrated in many quarters And I’ve seen loads of shouts today for Matip and then sign a CB to back Joel up!

Only 23 years old. If he wasn’t playing alongside Arguably the greatest We’ve ever had he’d be seen in a different light I’m sure. Beyond that I think it could be argued that since the lockdown he’s been at least on a par with VVD

The lads got it all and for me I can’t see any reason why he shouldn’t play every match when fit. If he picks up a knock he’ll have to fight and scrap to get his spot back off Matip but that’s the way it should be

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3876 on: September 13, 2020, 10:25:54 am »
Thought he was very good on the ball yesterday, always breaking the lines, passed well too. Obviously he'll be needled a bit about the team conceding 3 but it was a team collective failure as much as anything. Top man, top player.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3877 on: September 13, 2020, 10:46:02 am »
Thought he was very good on the ball yesterday, always breaking the lines, passed well too. Obviously he'll be needled a bit about the team conceding 3 but it was a team collective failure as much as anything. Top man, top player.
Personally think he’s criminally underrated in many quarters And I’ve seen loads of shouts today for Matip and then sign a CB to back Joel up!

Only 23 years old. If he wasn’t playing alongside Arguably the greatest We’ve ever had he’d be seen in a different light I’m sure. Beyond that I think it could be argued that since the lockdown he’s been at least on a par with VVD

The lads got it all and for me I can’t see any reason why he shouldn’t play every match when fit. If he picks up a knock he’ll have to fight and scrap to get his spot back off Matip but that’s the way it should be

I agree with both of these, I think because Joe is the younger CB in the partnership with Virgil when they have a collective defensive day off together, it's automatically Joe that gets the biggest critical comments. One of the Leeds goals came about when there was a big space between the pair and for me you can't blame one and not the other. Another point, these two work so well together that in most games when one makes a mistake the other one covers for him. It is rare a day like yesterday, but I do think we had a problem in midfield which was making the defensive errors seem even worse. Hendo wasn't moving about as quickly as usual, the payback with using Keita is his defensive work is not as good as Fab's. All these things are a balance, I was surprised Fab didn't play from the start. I would suggest if he had we may have defended better as a result. In certain games Keita is a definite yes, but in games when teams flood forward it is more risky. I rate Joel as well I think we are lucky to have three very good CB's.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #3878 on: September 13, 2020, 05:04:14 pm »
Got far too much stick for his performance yesterday. Despite being the better of our two centre backs, very little noise about VVD. Hardly the time for knee jerk reactions one game into the season. The way we play the defence and the midfield need to work together almost seamlessly. That takes time. He and VVD are the perfect CB pair and I’m sure we’ll be back to keeping clean sheets sooner rather than later.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3879 on: September 13, 2020, 06:20:42 pm »
Got far too much stick for his performance yesterday. Despite being the better of our two centre backs, very little noise about VVD. Hardly the time for knee jerk reactions one game into the season. The way we play the defence and the midfield need to work together almost seamlessly. That takes time. He and VVD are the perfect CB pair and I’m sure we’ll be back to keeping clean sheets sooner rather than later.

I don't think it's 'knee jerk reactions' the flaws in Joe's game have been clear for a while. He does tend to ball watch and and fall back behind the back four line. He is not dominant in the air for a centre back, often simply jostling with his opponent than going for the clean header. Every player has weaknesses and Joe is no exception. He is only 23 so time to improve but for me Matip is the player I would like to partner VVD. He has a calmness about him and an ability to read the game which we could benefit from.