Author Topic: Awesome documentaries thread  (Read 280744 times)

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
Re: Awesome documentaries thread
« Reply #1400 on: March 4, 2019, 10:19:57 am »
There's a really good documentary on C4 tonight at 9pm, called 'Three Identical Strangers'. It's an amazing story but one you are best knowing as little about as possible beforehand. Definitely worth a watch.

Watched this last night, a brilliant film.  It's available on the catch-up thingy if you have Sky.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Port_vale_lad

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1401 on: March 4, 2019, 08:49:53 pm »
Wouldn't say it was "awesome" but if you want to spend an hour laughing at some flat earth nut jobs then behind the curve on Netflix could be right up your street.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #1402 on: March 4, 2019, 09:53:11 pm »
Wouldn't say it was "awesome" but if you want to spend an hour laughing at some flat earth nut jobs then behind the curve on Netflix could be right up your street.
Ah it was unreal. The level of delusion is just bananas. Absolute twats
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline ChrisOH

• Main Stander
« Reply #1403 on: March 4, 2019, 11:49:18 pm »
Anyone seen that Parkinson's trial thing? I stay away from most news so it was all new to me. Literally cried during the whole thing ;D Second episode on Thursday concludes the results so don't be ruining it people!
Ye wha la.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1404 on: March 5, 2019, 08:37:18 am »
Anyone seen that Parkinson's trial thing? I stay away from most news so it was all new to me. Literally cried during the whole thing ;D Second episode on Thursday concludes the results so don't be ruining it people!

Was just going to say that. A privilege to be able to witness a lot of the stuff covered.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1405 on: March 10, 2019, 06:00:20 pm »
Just finished watching Free Solo,one of the scariest,amazing physical and mental performances i've ever witnessed.

Also i think it's a glimpse on a person's psyche who's totally dedicated to one overriding passion in his life.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1406 on: March 11, 2019, 09:37:32 pm »
My mum had Parkinsons so I watched it with extreme interest. The way they approached it with the placebo then wrongly assessed the results was a bit weird but it was really worth a watch.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #1407 on: March 11, 2019, 09:45:56 pm »
Just finished watching Free Solo,one of the scariest,amazing physical and mental performances i've ever witnessed.

Also i think it's a glimpse on a person's psyche who's totally dedicated to one overriding passion in his life.

I was lucky enough to climb in Yosemite. Just standing at the base of El Cap is awe inspiring. What Honnold did beggars belief. Incredible. Also, try Dawn Wall on Netflix. I could at least understand that achievement as it involved roped climbing!

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1408 on: March 12, 2019, 05:52:29 am »
I was lucky enough to climb in Yosemite. Just standing at the base of El Cap is awe inspiring. What Honnold did beggars belief. Incredible. Also, try Dawn Wall on Netflix. I could at least understand that achievement as it involved roped climbing!

Thanks mate,i'll watch that too!
Yeah,that El Cap climb was one of the most amazing things i've ever witnessed.
My feelings watching it were similar to the crew and his girlfriend,amazement mixed with pure dread for him,it was hard to witness even when you know how it ends.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1409 on: March 15, 2019, 03:18:29 pm »
There's a really good documentary on C4 tonight at 9pm, called 'Three Identical Strangers'. It's an amazing story but one you are best knowing as little about as possible beforehand. Definitely worth a watch.

Got around to watching this last night - brilliant but also shocking at the same time.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1410 on: March 21, 2019, 11:49:09 pm »
Just watched the documentary on BBC one this evening about the current knife crime problem

Hard to watch due to the stories told and one particular bit of footage from a murder but very interesting documentary

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1411 on: March 22, 2019, 08:47:07 pm »
The Inventor Out for Blood in Silicon Valley 2019 AMZN WEB-DL AAC2 0 H 264-NTG

Right, first off - is that girl a guy? I don't mean to sound indelicate or whatever... but I've never heard this story, I've never heard of her and I've never heard of Theranos.

But within five seconds, the question popped in my head... 20 or so minutes later and I can't stop thinking it.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 09:14:27 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1412 on: March 23, 2019, 02:26:42 am »
Holy fuck, I've never wanted to crawl into the TV and strangle someone with their own tongue as much as the subject of the above documentary.

I remember seeing all this shit here and there and most others will too. But thank god for the NHS that is all I'm going to say and this documentary made me feel lucky that we live in a society with universal healthcare.

This quack should never see the light of day again and I'm still convinced her mum forcibly dressed her as a girl against will and that this whole project stemmed from that. I know it sounds cruel and bigoted, as well obviously wrong to say that, but for fuck's sake, there is something deeply, deeply wrong with that person and as soon as she appeared on screen and spoke... I don't know... you know when you just get a feeling about someone?

Anyhow, made by the same guy who made the Scientology documentary, everyone should check this doc out.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 02:29:11 am by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1413 on: March 23, 2019, 09:46:19 am »
The Inventor Out for Blood in Silicon Valley 2019 AMZN WEB-DL AAC2 0 H 264-NTG

Right, first off - is that girl a guy? I don't mean to sound indelicate or whatever... but I've never heard this story, I've never heard of her and I've never heard of Theranos.

This is on Sky Atlantic on Monday night.
Bad Blood is on my reading list (if ever I get to start reading again). She's just so terrible and so is everyone else around her.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1414 on: March 23, 2019, 09:53:42 am »
Still convinced she's just a front.

Scammers of people's health should burn.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1415 on: April 2, 2019, 03:24:08 pm »
Ok not a documentary but a channel on Youtube. safariLIVE

If you like wildlife they do a couple of live Safaris a day just filming what they see and talking about what they see and they don't cut anything Natural in the raw if something happens.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eFO9RCYfY6c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eFO9RCYfY6c</a>

Its very good. I enjoy watching the Sunrise Safaris but they are all on there to watch if you don't catch they live and also highlight videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV6HJBZD_hZcIX9JVJ3dCXQ/videos
« Last Edit: April 2, 2019, 03:36:29 pm by Big Jezza’s Jizza »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1416 on: April 2, 2019, 03:34:12 pm »

that was a brilliant documentary

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #1417 on: April 3, 2019, 04:06:52 pm »
Another brilliant Storyville on BBC4 ‘The trial of Ratko Mladavic’. Consistently coming up with superb documentaries.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1418 on: April 9, 2019, 11:01:55 pm »
"Two Tribes" on BT Sport Now!

Two Tribes: BT Sport’s latest film explores how football gave the city of Liverpool new hope during troubled times

Two Tribes, which is available to watch on BTSport.com and the award-winning BT Sport app, explores Liverpool and Everton’s success in the 1980s amid political and cultural upheaval.

https://sport.bt.com/football/two-tribes-bt-sports-latest-film-explores-how-football-gave-the-city-of-liverpool-new-hope-during-troubled-times-S11364349206560
« Last Edit: April 9, 2019, 11:05:59 pm by Yosser0_0 »
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1419 on: April 10, 2019, 12:10:40 am »

Two Tribes: BT Sport’s latest film explores how football gave the city of Liverpool new hope during troubled times

Two Tribes, which is available to watch on BTSport.com and the award-winning BT Sport app, explores Liverpool and Everton’s success in the 1980s amid political and cultural upheaval.

https://sport.bt.com/football/two-tribes-bt-sports-latest-film-explores-how-football-gave-the-city-of-liverpool-new-hope-during-troubled-times-S11364349206560

Just watched this, was great. But Derek Hatton.

Was studying politcal theatre in university in 2010 and after a night of reading about Militant at John Moores, went into Tescos on Bold Street. I was queing up and the bloke in front of me, who I thought was a tramp, turned around with a handful of change and asked if I could lend him 50p.

It was Derek Hatton, sloshed and hardly standing wearing a shellsuit in 2010.

One strange man he is.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Yosser0_0

• U_____U (geddit?)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1420 on: April 10, 2019, 09:53:05 am »
Just watched this, was great. But Derek Hatton.

Was studying politcal theatre in university in 2010 and after a night of reading about Militant at John Moores, went into Tescos on Bold Street. I was queing up and the bloke in front of me, who I thought was a tramp, turned around with a handful of change and asked if I could lend him 50p.

It was Derek Hatton, sloshed and hardly standing wearing a shellsuit in 2010.

One strange man he is.

Aye, Motormouth, the bloke gives me the creeps and it was disappointing to see him portrayed as some sort of saviour of city. I was only a youngster at the time, but most people I knew thought he did a lot of damage to the city, even though it was already fucked - it looked like we'd just come out of the blitz.

Anyway the rest of the documentary, where they talk about the fans and the football was great, some of those tackles in those derby games look frightening now. I remember going to a few of those games and the atmosphere was fantastic.
Lee Trevino famously once held up a long iron during a lightning storm, claiming "not even God can hit a 1-iron"

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #1421 on: April 10, 2019, 11:54:22 am »
He was an amateur doing a professional's job - but he could certainly talk, which is probably 50% of the job.

Kinnock sorted him out in the end and it is a shame Militant went the way it did, it could have done some good.

Aye, come from a half-red, half-blue family and still struggled with that up until that 1984 final, where I would say, I became a proper red (at the aghast of mum).

Great documentary, one of the best sports documentaries I've seen since the KK one.   
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #1422 on: April 10, 2019, 12:54:24 pm »

I watched it last week. It was good. It makes me a little sad that we have lost the "merseyside" attitude between reds and blues when there was rivalry but an understanding that it was us against every other fucker who wanted to run the city down. There is a lot of bile nowadays that is a genuine shame.

I thought it covered the political and social climate of the 80's well and the brilliance of both sides during the period. By fowler we had some amazing teams, and that tells you just how good the Everton side in the mid 80's was for a few years. That 86 cup final was just brilliant.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1423 on: April 11, 2019, 04:07:43 pm »
Posted in the Space Exploration thread but the documentary on the Black Hole Photograph on BBC4 last night @ 9pm was brilliant.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1424 on: May 20, 2019, 08:32:03 am »

Finally got round to watching "Knock Down the House" (Netflix), about various Democrat candidates in the run up to their primaries last year.

Obviously, Alexandria Ocasio Cortez is the star, for many reasons, but not least (spoilers) because she actually surprisingly won. I suspect the editing would have been very different if the other women they followed had won too. AOC is very impressive, definitively human. I do hope she doesnt become consumed by the Dem Machine she was trying to break. Joe Crowley seemed like the archetypal establishment candidate, in place for 20 years, with the whole apparatus of the party behind him & the sense of owning his safe seat, despite being an absentee representative.

However, it was the stories of the other women that were more affecting; genuine anger from Paula Jean Swearengin tired of the abuses of "big coal" in West Virginia, the grief of Amy Vilela from Nevada & the disappointment of Cori Bush from Missouri as she failed to make significant change in the aftermath of the Ferguson issues.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1425 on: May 29, 2019, 03:02:49 am »
Read recently that Michael Apted's next installment of the Up Series, 63 Up is due for release next month. It's a fascinating show, and looks like this will be the last in the series.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #1426 on: May 29, 2019, 08:34:04 am »
Read recently that Michael Apted's next installment of the Up Series, 63 Up is due for release next month. It's a fascinating show, and looks like this will be the last in the series.

I cant believe how quickly those 7 years come round...
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1427 on: May 30, 2019, 01:38:24 am »
I cant believe how quickly those 7 years come round...

Yeah I still remember watching 56 Up like yesterday. It's a captivating series, and one I imagine that would have been incredibly hard for the subjects.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #1428 on: June 4, 2019, 07:45:47 pm »
If it's not been done I'll pop one here about the Amazing Jonathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sxwjRGSWs

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #1429 on: June 4, 2019, 11:40:56 pm »
If it's not been done I'll pop one here about the Amazing Jonathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6sxwjRGSWs

Thanks you for sharing that, it was really good and touching and funny
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1430 on: June 13, 2019, 12:12:24 pm »
What is the best OJ Simpson documentary to watch? Preferably something with real footage of the events?

I have seen The People v OJ Simpson and read that book. Looking for something different if it exists!

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1431 on: June 13, 2019, 01:46:39 pm »
What is the best OJ Simpson documentary to watch? Preferably something with real footage of the events?

I have seen The People v OJ Simpson and read that book. Looking for something different if it exists!

ESPN's OJ Simpson: Made in America is the definitive watch. It's 5x1 hour parts, rather than a 2 hour movie, and it still won an Oscar for best doc.

Offline Red Ol

• 82 years in this crazy world and still plays with Lego
  • Legacy Fan
  • Children of the night. What music they make.
« Reply #1432 on: June 13, 2019, 02:01:07 pm »

Best documentary I saw was call OJ: Made in America. I think i saw it on Sky and not that long ago ...  maybe a year or so?  ... but it’s not there anymore. It was very long, perhaps even in two parts from memory, but an excellent in depth look at his whole life and how he turned out as he did, so not just focusing on the murders and everything after that. Worth watching if you can find it
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #1433 on: June 14, 2019, 09:02:32 am »
Best documentary I saw was call OJ: Made in America. I think i saw it on Sky and not that long ago ...  maybe a year or so?  ... but it’s not there anymore. It was very long, perhaps even in two parts from memory, but an excellent in depth look at his whole life and how he turned out as he did, so not just focusing on the murders and everything after that. Worth watching if you can find it

That's the one.
I think it was 4 parts in total....each over an hour

Worth it because it not only told the story of what happened in detail but the context of what America was like back then at the same time (in relation to the riots etc)

Still one of the best docs I've seen of this sort to date
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Ziltoid

• Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #1434 on: June 14, 2019, 09:21:58 am »
ESPN's OJ Simpson: Made in America is the definitive watch. It's 5x1 hour parts, rather than a 2 hour movie, and it still won an Oscar for best doc.

agree, brilliant doc that one

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #1435 on: June 14, 2019, 09:51:31 am »
I think you are all talking about the same documentary? :D

Just had a look on Sky and it is on BT Sport 2 tonight at 9pm - episode 2, episode 3 tomorrow night etc... so I have missed episode 1 but I am sure I can find that somewhere.

Thanks everyone!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1436 on: June 14, 2019, 10:39:02 am »
Planets on BBC with Brian Cox has been excellent so far.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #1437 on: June 14, 2019, 12:13:43 pm »
It's a *little* bit basic but beautiful to sit back and just soak up all the amazing imagery and CGI. Can't wait for the bluray.

Yeah, I totally get that but the way it is being done is visualising those basic things you probably know in a whole new way, at least I've never seen anything done as well as this anyway.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #1438 on: June 14, 2019, 03:11:20 pm »
Here's something I wanted to post about for a fortnight. It's one of the very best documentaries about sport, I've ever seen. SB Nation a Youtube channel that normally focuses on US sport does a series called 'chart party' where it takes very niche sporting data sets and makes the most compelling documentaries about them.

Love those Jon Bois videos.  Still go back to his Pretty Good series - especially the one about Larry using helium balloons to fly his lawn chair into the LAX airport flight path.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/E7w_v9J7iOc&amp;list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSCYW1o-4whWtepyVlsfuCC&amp;index=2" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/E7w_v9J7iOc&amp;list=PLUXSZMIiUfFSCYW1o-4whWtepyVlsfuCC&amp;index=2</a>

Offline jason67

• He likes the 15cm morning glory boy!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1439 on: June 17, 2019, 07:54:30 pm »
Last Breath on Netflix.

Not going to say anything about it but really worth a watch.
At last the TRUTH 26th April 2016

Still don't buy the s*n.