Author Topic: James Milner - El Burro Magnifico  (Read 577001 times)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
There seems to have been a bit of confusion around the length of James Milner’s contract but I’ve checked and it definitely runs until the summer of 2020

James Pearce, in an Echo Q&A back in Sep 2018

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sadio-manes-future-james-milners-15204014?_ga=2.88190299.192172332.1556009686-1665227269.1535561009
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
I reckon Milner will get a year's extension regardless of the outcome of this season. You can't overstate his value in the dressing room, even if his minutes are reduced next season.

I think it will be his choice really. He may want to play more and have a clearer path to first team midfielder at Leeds
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Didn't see the Mo stuff for the penalty on the telly. I'm glad he took it off him if that's what transpired. No fucking way anyone but Milli Vanilli is taking pens if he's on the pitch.
The guy is an absolute boss. Best free transfer ever?

To us? Maybe (Gary Mac being the other that immediately comes to mind). Involving us - nope, that would be Macca to Real, where he won player the Champions League for them, getting MOTM in the final and fan's player of the year.  Of any club? Nowhere close I am afraid - given the like to Pirlo (to Juve), Pogba (to Juve, when he then was sold back for stupid amounts), Lewandowski (to Bayern),  Sol Campbell (to Arsenal), Henrik Larrson (to Barcelona, where he single handedly won them their first champo of the 2000s) and Cambiasso (to Inter, where he inspired them to 5 straight Seria A wins, and a Champo).

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
I think it will be his choice really. He may want to play more and have a clearer path to first team midfielder at Leeds

He's not dropping down to the Championship any time soon.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
Nothing in it, just other fans (and Egyptians) trying to make something of it.  Salah grabs the ball and Milner just goes over to him and takes it off him, small exchange of words and Mo look disappointed but I would expect him too as he is a goal scorer.

Its all Fabinho fault thou, if he doesn't get injured Milners not on the pitch to take it  ;)

To be honest, if he was still on the pitch, Fabinho would have (or should have) taken the penalty - he was Monaco's first choice penalty taker ahead of Falcao and a very good one at that  (scored 19 of the 20 he took at Monaco, actually a higher % than milners 27 of 32 across all clubs, and 16 of 18 for us)

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
To us? Maybe (Gary Mac being the other that immediately comes to mind). Involving us - nope, that would be Macca to Real, where he won player the Champions League for them, getting MOTM in the final and fan's player of the year.  Of any club? Nowhere close I am afraid - given the like to Pirlo (to Juve), Pogba (to Juve, when he then was sold back for stupid amounts), Lewandowski (to Bayern),  Sol Campbell (to Arsenal), Henrik Larrson (to Barcelona, where he single handedly won them their first champo of the 2000s) and Cambiasso (to Inter, where he inspired them to 5 straight Seria A wins, and a Champo).

Yeah, for us  :P
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
He's not dropping down to the Championship any time soon.

Not guaranteed they will be in the Championship. They still have a chance at direct promotion still.

I do think that he will want to be playing though. Fabinho, Keita, Gini, Hendo, Ox will make that a bit less likely next season for a plyer who is aging despite defying that at times.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline ChrisLFCKOP

• Legacy Fan
To be honest, if he was still on the pitch, Fabinho would have (or should have) taken the penalty - he was Monaco's first choice penalty taker ahead of Falcao and a very good one at that  (scored 19 of the 20 he took at Monaco, actually a higher % than milners 27 of 32 across all clubs, and 16 of 18 for us)

And also missed the one pen he took for us, I mentioned his record before he took the pen and he missed.

Sure he did take a pen for us in a game at Anfield?!?

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
Not guaranteed they will be in the Championship. They still have a chance at direct promotion still.

They don't. Sheffield United will beat Ipswich at the weekend and it's game over as far as that's concerned. Tough to see them beating Villa or West Brom in the play-offs to be honest.

Personally think it's something which could materialise next summer when his contract is up.

And also missed the one pen he took for us, I mentioned his record before he took the pen and he missed.

Sure he did take a pen for us in a game at Anfield?!?

That was pre-season.

Offline Scottymuser

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, for us  :P

Yeah - I think it is really close between him and Gary Mac for that honour - Gary Mac had the instant impact of winning us the treble (and he was incredibly influential at that, and was one of our 3/4 best players that year), but had only 2 seasons at the club, whereas Milner has been significantly less influential (never been one of our best players across a season, and certainly this year has been a squad player), but has the longevity and the calming influence in a very young squad.

Offline KissThisGuy

• OnlyThroughAFaceMaskThough
  • Legacy Fan
  • It was raining, I went outside, I got wet.
Joel Matip has also been a good free transfer. Joe Cole the worst I can remember off the top of my head.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Joel Matip has also been a good free transfer. Joe Cole the worst I can remember off the top of my head.

Joe was atrocious - but Milan Jovanovic and Andriy Voronin were pretty terrible too. Voronin at least played on some good Liverpool teams so his awfulness was masked a bit.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity

He's a 1st team midfielder at Liverpool though. Played ~2500 minutes this season. Only Wijnaldum has played a considerable amount more out of the current midfielders.

Even with AOC back we rotate our midfield so much that Milner will still get a lot of playing time next season. You'd suspect it will be at an elite level, challenging for domestic and European honours. Why swap that for a relegation battle or Championship football?

I think Milner still has a lot to offer this club. He's had another good season for us. I remember all the cry arsing when Klopp said he was like a new midfield signing in the summer of 2017. Here we are about 18 months later and James Milner is starting regularly and contributing as a midfielder in a team that has 88 points with 3 games to go and is in a CL semi-final. That's on top of getting to a CL final last season when he played in midfield a lot.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
Joe was atrocious - but Milan Jovanovic and Andriy Voronin were pretty terrible too. Voronin at least played on some good Liverpool teams so his awfulness was masked a bit.
It's also what Joe Cole kind of represents, though. I mean, the other two were at least fit and weren't touted as great signings. Joe was hideously out of shape while also marketed as symbolic of the kind of 'English Pride' (TM) that the Owl was going to instil into Liverpool FC. And he certainly did prove to be symbolic - symbolic of the absolutely dogshit state of the club in all ways at that point in time.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
His contract ends in 2020. Not sure why anyone is speculating/panicking about him moving this summer?
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
His contract ends in 2020. Not sure why anyone is speculating/panicking about him moving this summer?

Agreed.

He’s been integral this season, and whilst his age may catch up next season he’ll still be able to play a big part again no doubt. Can’t see him going anywhere.

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
He's a 1st team midfielder at Liverpool though. Played ~2500 minutes this season. Only Wijnaldum has played a considerable amount more out of the current midfielders.

Even with AOC back we rotate our midfield so much that Milner will still get a lot of playing time next season. You'd suspect it will be at an elite level, challenging for domestic and European honours. Why swap that for a relegation battle or Championship football?

I think Milner still has a lot to offer this club. He's had another good season for us. I remember all the cry arsing when Klopp said he was like a new midfield signing in the summer of 2017. Here we are about 18 months later and James Milner is starting regularly and contributing as a midfielder in a team that has 88 points with 3 games to go and is in a CL semi-final. That's on top of getting to a CL final last season when he played in midfield a lot.

I like Milner. But those minutes by him and arguably by Gini were a by product of Fabinho's long journey into the 1st team and Keita's similar journey and injuries. Plus there is Ox. Imagine if we had bought Fekir too?

We play a high energy style that puts hefty demands on players. No way will he get 2500 minutes next season and that is at his current physical levels and with Fabinho, Keita and Ox 109% fit and integrated.

If he is cool playing occasionally, I'd be delighted if he stayed and continued defying age. :) but if he decides to leave for playing time like Lucas I would totally understand.

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YcDE2f_PrC0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YcDE2f_PrC0</a>
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/YcDE2f_PrC0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/YcDE2f_PrC0</a>
Lol as soon as Jovanovic was mentioned in the thread I so knew this video was going to appear.  ;D
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline RedGreen

• Main Stander
  • Cautiously Klopptimistic - Resistance is Futile

Joe Cole, symbolic of the mediocrity of the Hodgson era, immortalised by the annual "Joke Hole Memorial Award" given to the most regrettable signing of each season as they disappear into obscurity..... :P

Isn't it telling that there is no candidate for the award this season? There was so much competition that season: Joe Cole, Paul Fucking Konchesky, Christian Poulsen, etc. etc. Just another measure of how far we've come!  :wave
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
How did this man not win the PFA Young Player of the Year award is a mystery to me. Travesty, even! Conspiracy!  :no
The Boy from Brazil!
Redeem us in your stone arms
Float like Papillon
Transfer Haiku by Bud P Austin

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Or maybe it was age discrimination? He would have been such a deserved winner.  :(
The Boy from Brazil!
Float like Papillon

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
How did this man not win the PFA Young Player of the Year award is a mystery to me. Travesty, even! Conspiracy!  :no

Young Ben Foster, breakout season...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
Surely there should be an Old Player of the Year award...

Offline Lofty Ambitions

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Surely there should be an Old Player of the Year award...
Indeed! I'd nominate TAA. Such a mature player given his age  :wave
The Boy from Brazil!
Float like Papillon

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
Sky have him in their Out of Contract XI

Deserves at least one more season imo, thought hes been good this season, particular the first half

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Loved his two cynical tackles within 5 seconds, each one deserving of a yellow in itself 😆
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
Loved his two cynical tackles within 5 seconds, each one deserving of a yellow in itself 😆

I came in here to say the same. Sent on to help us get a winner, but did what was required elsewhere around the pitch.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

Fucking hilarious that! First one looked bad in real time, worried it might have even been a red. He then made the ref forget all about it by mowing down Atsu closer to goal instead. :D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
James is our dirtiest player. ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Sky have him in their Out of Contract XI

Deserves at least one more season imo, thought hes been good this season, particular the first half

I seemed to remember it being a 4 year deal when he signed but Pearce seems to think it’s 2020. If we do win the league and Leeds come through the play offs I can see us letting him go there regardless for the final part of his career, he’s been a bloody excellent signing for us and I’d respect whatever he wants, whether that’s another season with us or a move to his boyhood club.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
I seemed to remember it being a 4 year deal when he signed but Pearce seems to think it’s 2020. If we do win the league and Leeds come through the play offs I can see us letting him go there regardless for the final part of his career, he’s been a bloody excellent signing for us and I’d respect whatever he wants, whether that’s another season with us or a move to his boyhood club.

I dont want him to leave at all. In 08/09 we lost some big characters not only from the team but dressing room as well when Hyypia, Alonso and Arbeloa left. We need to keep these all together, even if they are not exactly first choice.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
Fucking hilarious that! First one looked bad in real time, worried it might have even been a red. He then made the ref forget all about it by mowing down Atsu closer to goal instead. :D
They were so close together in time that the ref just thought fuck it one yellow will cover them both.
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
They were so close together in time that the ref just thought fuck it one yellow will cover them both.

I laughed so much when he said (completely straight faced) that he got the ball. I was closer to the ball than Milner was and I was at home watching it on the telly 😂
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
I laughed so much when he said (completely straight faced) that he got the ball. I was closer to the ball than Milner was and I was at home watching it on the telly 😂

Everytime you post, I think Gary Neville is on  ;D

Online BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Oh Millie, you absolute legend.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Started laughing when he got the ball over in the corner, knew the game was over then.  Ultimate pro.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Vital cog in our running out of superlatives team.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

bollocks

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
Been watching him closely these last few weeks, has really dug deep and put in a shift.

Amazing footballer, complete footballer

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
He was in bits at the end of the game. As ever never let us down, so desperate for this team to life this trophy now.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"